• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Nov14| Brought Final Act to Toonami

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like Steins;Gate, just be warned that some people consider the beginning kind of slow & it takes some time for the "real" plot to kick in. Though I'd say it's more of character building & establishing the norm.

Yeah, I spent the first dozen ish episodes going "well this is okay but I'm not sure why everyone rav........OHMYGOD" and then it was roller coaster amazing until the end.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If you guys want something to watch, I recommend Kamen Rider Fourze.
If you want something full of friendship power (but actually good) and broken bonds, it has to be seen.

DO NOT watch the version by "TV-Nihon". Look for Over-Time or Aesir.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Do we know what the schedule for next week is yet? I'm wondering where Bleach will go..

Week off.

The schedule is:

AOT Episode 1
DBZ Kai Episode 1
Naruto Shippuden Sakura's not crying
A MUST SEE EPISODE OF ONE PIECE
Gurren Laggan...actually I don't remember what happens on this one.
Hellsing Ultimate final TOONAMI episode
Space Dandy's best season one episode
Cowboy Bebop...Bohemian Rhapsody I think?
FMA:B Some nonsense up north.
GITS:SAC...I smell a Togusa episode
Big O Season 2, who cares, not The Greatest Villain (It's the one that's kinda like the Metropolis remake)
Samurai Jack....ZZZZZZZZZZ

Crocodile

Yeah, I spent the first dozen ish episodes going "well this is okay but I'm not sure why everyone rav........OHMYGOD" and then it was roller coaster amazing until the end.

Yeah I dunno if I would have made it through the first half of SG if I didn't watch it with others but it is instrumental for the second half to pay off (and boy does it ever).

daveo42

Banned
While slow, the first episode was all I needed to get hooked on S;G. The hook at the end of episode one drove me through the first half of the series and then the back half drove up my love for it like 1000%. It helps if you are into or care about any of the scientific concepts in the show as well.

I saw part of episode one on netflix and concluded only wierdos and pervs could possibly like this.
It was most of it IIRC.

Fight me irl bro.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naked wolf girl is the most annoying part of Spice and Wolf. She does wear clothing pretty much the rest of the show.

The dub is incredible as well. I'd recommend it to more people if Netflix didn't start with Season 2.

Guys, is it bad that im super hype for DBZ, like way more hype then Gurren Lagann

Yes, it's very bad.

No sarcasm, just whatisrwrongwithyou.gif

No because DBZ is actually good unlike GL
YDMQXwg.jpg

Week off.

The schedule is:

AOT Episode 1
DBZ Kai Episode 1
Naruto Shippuden Sakura's not crying
A MUST SEE EPISODE OF ONE PIECE
Gurren Laggan...actually I don't remember what happens on this one.
Hellsing Ultimate final TOONAMI episode
Space Dandy's best season one episode
Cowboy Bebop...Bohemian Rhapsody I think?
FMA:B Some nonsense up north.
GITS:SAC...I smell a Togusa episode
Big O Season 2, who cares, not The Greatest Villain (It's the one that's kinda like the Metropolis remake)
Samurai Jack....ZZZZZZZZZZ
Is that a joke?

Crocodile

I'm sad I missed this week's Dandy because its such a good one but I was pretty much done after Hellsing. No way I was making it through Cooler's Revenge awake.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Endless Eight is really good. So put it before Zombies and you've got my Fave Five right there. Season 1 is great.

Season 2 though, now that's tough. There's like ten really amazing episodes in there and 3 merely ok ones. I guess the forum has a least favorite episode in the trial one though.

Seda

Season 2 though, now that's tough. There's like ten really amazing episodes in there and 3 merely ok ones. I guess the forum has a least favorite episode in the trial one though.

The Cloudian one was pretty bad. Totally disjointed.

Gorillaz

way too many good episodes of dandy to get an accurate fave five

I don't read manga at all. The only time I have ever been tempted was after Black Lagoon ended.
You should at least the last few arcs since there are differences from the show and its still on hiatus

daveo42

Banned
I should probably rank my Dandy, though I'm probably one of the only people who liked it front to back outside of boob monster.

To be honest I like Dead Leaves more than GL when it comes to Imaishi's works
but that's mainly because I'm a hipster

Dead Leaves is all style and no substance, but I can always go back and watch it cause it's fun.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I should probably rank my Dandy, though I'm probably one of the only people who liked it front to back outside of boob monster.

Dead Leaves is all style and no substance, but I can always go back and watch it cause it's fun.

I even like Boob Monster. I think my least favorite episode is...none of them? Trial is a bit slow but that ending kills me.

daveo42

Banned
I even like Boob Monster. I think my least favorite episode is...none of them? Trial is a bit slow but that ending kills me.

Even boobs has its redeemable moments, but it's the weakest episode in the series and one I'd be perfectly fine skipping.

way too many good episodes of dandy to get an accurate fave five

1. A World without Sadness, Baby
2. Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby
3. I Can't Be the Only One, Baby
4. Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby
5. Lovers are Trendy, Baby
6. Nobody Knows the Chameleon Alien, Baby
7. Rock and Roll Dandy, Baby
8. There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
9. The Big Fish is Huge, Baby
10. A Race in Space is Dangerous, Baby
11. Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby
12. The Neverending Dandy, Baby
13. Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby

iiJlTkSEHFBS4.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The only two episodes of Space Dandy that I'd say I don't like (or rather, find "meh" or boring) are the Vest/Underwear War one (& this was more boring than actually bad) & the trial one (though to be fair, the last...third of it was decent, but that punchline was not worth the wait). Everything else had its moments worth rewatching the entire episode for.

It just sucks that we gotta wait so long for S2 to re-air. I would like to give those another watch to re-evaluate my opinion on some of them (like the fishing episode).

Seda

I watched Kai several years ago I remember thinking:

The dub is dramatically better, and most of the recasts are fine (like Frieza). Gohan, however, has always been a hard-to-swallow change. Stephanie Nadolny's voice is iconic and just too ingrained in my nostalgia. The pacing changes are mostly for the better with the exception of the very early series. The butt-rock Falconer score also marks my childhood but the Kai OST is good too. Although I'm not sure if the score I heard for Kai was the plagiarized one or not.

Curious to see how I view the show with a group on a rewatch.

Top 5 Space Dandy episodes:

1. Lovers Are Trendy, Baby (23)

2. Plants Are Living Things Too, Baby (9)

3. There's Always Tomorrow, Baby (10)

4. Sometimes You Can't Live With Dying, Baby (4)

5. Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby (13)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The tough part about watching the Kai dub?
Expecting Gohan to scream "GUM GUM PISTOL"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Second season is so hard. That's in around a six episode tie for favorite.
S2 was amazing in the grounds that they found their stride & knew how to handle the show after fiddling around with ideas in S1, but still could be a bit experimental at times. Granted, I kind of missed some of the side-character episodes from S1 involving Meow & QT (which are among my favorites), but their presence was still felt for the most part.

Though I must say it felt like Dr. Gel & Bea really didn't feel as present compared to S1 until the last few episodes. Hell, if S3 happens, I would love to have a backstory episode of those two.

Honestly I saw so much of DBZ Kai before seeing OP I had the opposite problem for awhile (Expecting Luffy to yell Kamehameha) but at this point it doesn't impact me either way.

The only two episodes of Space Dandy that I'd say I don't like (or rather, find "meh" or boring) are the Vest/Underwear War one (& this was more boring than actually bad) & the trial one (though to be fair, the last...third of it was decent, but that punchline was not worth the wait). Everything else had its moments worth rewatching the entire episode for.

It just sucks that we gotta wait so long for S2 to re-air. I would like to give those another watch to re-evaluate my opinion on some of them (like the fishing episode).

Occasionally Even the Deceiver is Deceived, Baby (3) and War of the Undies and Vests, Baby (6) are legit bad in my opinion. Dandy S1 got off to a rocky start and alternated good/bad episodes until about halfway through. Once we got to the space race one (7) it was smooth sailing; series is excellent from then on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Occasionally Even the Deceiver is Deceived, Baby (3) and War of the Undies and Vests, Baby (6) are legit bad in my opinion. Dandy S1 got off to a rocky start and alternated good/bad episodes until about halfway through. Once we got to the space race one (7) it was smooth sailing; series is excellent from then on.
This is pretty much my thoughts on S1 as well. The first half of the episodes were either good (2, 4, & 5), mixed (1 & 3), or just bad (6). Once we got to the 2nd half of the season (7 & beyond), it was great.

I watched Kai several years ago I remember thinking:

The dub is dramatically better, and most of the recasts are fine (like Frieza). Gohan, however, has always been a hard-to-swallow change. Stephanie Nadolny's voice is iconic and just too ingrained in my nostalgia. The pacing changes are mostly for the better with the exception of the very early series. The butt-rock Falconer score also marks my childhood but the Kai OST is good too. Although I'm not sure if the score I heard for Kai was the plagiarized one or not.

Curious to see how I view the show with a group on a rewatch.

yeah, i don't think Clinkenbeard as Gohan was a great fit (mostly on the basis of sounding exactly like Luffy, though), but when you look around at every other person who voices young boys at Funimation i don't think they had much of a choice, unfortunately.

i legitimately have no idea how anyone prefers the old Frieza, though.

daveo42

Banned
This will be interesting because I've never seen the Kai dub and only remember the original that aired on Toonami ages ago and the dub that aired on Fox.

guys, the stars have aligned against me doing this episode of Clone Wars. Netflix is being weird and refusing to play episodes I've already watched or was midway through watching :|

i'll try again in an hour or two but this might have to be put off till Thursday

EDIT: scratch that, it works now.

Only War of the Undies and The Trail are the episodes I'd consider bad/boring, but each has a great finale that almost makes up for it. Best episode is really tough

1. The Transfer Student is Dandy, Baby
2. Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby
3. Never Ending Dandy, Baby
4. There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
5. I Can't be the Only One, Baby
6. Lovers are Trendy, Baby
7. A Race in Space Is Dangerous, Baby
8. Nobody Knows the Chameleon Alien, Baby
9. Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby
10. Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby
11. Rock n Roll Dandy, Baby
12. A World with no Sadness, Baby

These are for sure my top 12, though the order could change

Cwarrior

If space dandy wasn't some toonami special premier and didn't have that washed up director name on it, then 90% of people who talk about it wouldn't give a shit about it and most of those that talk about it, wouldn't be pretending it was anywhere near as good as they brainwashed themselfs to believe it was.

it wasn't bad, season 1 was a 4.5/10 at best, season 2 was an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom