• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember playing that PS2 game, Sidetracked, which was....alright, if not a bit repetitive. It was made by Grasshopper Manufacture, i.e. the No More Heroes company. I stopped after a part froze the game & decided I had enough.

Also tried to implement its hip hop music from the show as a part of the gameplay (like different tracks that would play based on your combo, equipment) or something.

So that's two new viewers so far.

I have also not seen Champloo so you can add me to that list.
Also care about spoilers. Not as much for Champloo as other shows though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, watched it back in the day, though it was good but it also suffered from overhyping as it was billed as the second coming of Cowboy Bebop and just never reached that level.

men_of_toonami_02_by_gairon-d9bmdg2.png

http://gairon.deviantart.com/art/Men-of-Toonami-02-563715218

women_of_toonami_03_by_gairon-d9dlmwk.png

http://gairon.deviantart.com/art/Women-of-Toonami-03-567040052

Best Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkTXV3aoXdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFnqEU_q9Zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekybd8KPQYw

Worst Moment
Shelle dying in Akame ga Kill
Kirito figures out Death Gun by looking as Sinon's ass
Kirito survives being stabbed with a needle thanks to a heart monitor sticky thing

Best Moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0EM1_6BgM
https://youtu.be/JgjjpsIkJEw?t=31
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7495058

Best Fight
Ryuko vs Satsuki in episode 3
TTGL vs Anti Spiral
Simon and Nia vs Lordgenome

Worst Character
Rossiu Adai
Death Gun/Shinkawa Kyouji
Dr. Stylish

Best Character
Satsuki Kiryuin
Simon
Kamina

Best Villain
Lordgenome
Anti Spiral
Nui Harime

Biggest Disappointment
No JoJo on Toonami
M&H's replacement being an old show and not a new (dub premiere) one

Best Surprise
Samurai Jack returns

Most Wanted New Show
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
One Punch Man
Hunter X Hunter (2011)

Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Yuri Lowenthal as Simon
Jamieson Price as Lordgenome
Matrhew Mercer as Aikuro Mikisugi

Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Carrie Keranen as Satsuki Kiryuin
Erica Mendez as Yuuki Konno
Michelle Ruff as Shino Asada/Sinon

Alright, I think that should do it. You can tell me now if anything doesn't count, and I'll PM after I've fixed it. Some of my Gurren Lagann moments only count for 2015 because pieces of them were in the recap episode.

Man, I sure only watched 4 shows on the block this year.

There should be worst performance categories too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would Lordgenome technically count as a villain considering it was only the post time skip that aired during 2015? Heck, I think the first episode of GL that aired in 2015 WAS the beginning of the time skip. That, or the recap episode. Let me check.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So Jan. 3rd was the recap episode (ep. 16), then the 10th was the beginning of the post time skip (ep. 17). I think if we nominate anything for Gurren Lagann, it should only be for episodes 17 & beyond. Kind of feels like cheating using something from a clip show when the original moment aired in 2014.

Raxus

Part 1 of 3
A quick preface before I list my nominations. I like to keep things fresh so I tend to favor shows/characters that won't make the list again. I also like variety so aside from one major exception I try to give one nomination per show.

Best Promo
A hard one for me but after filtering through for around 15 minutes I got 3 good candidates and a promo that SHOULD win but is disqualified:

Nominees:
Prepare for Battle
Great editing and almost feels like a movie trailer. It brings some hype for the shows involved as well. Not bad considering it borrows from Naruto filler and SAOII.
Parasyte Long Promo

Out of all the promos this one I felt worked best. It conveyed the premise of the show, flowed nicely and had a killer last line.
War
Much like the previous music video I feel the music pairs well with the dialouge here and the editing is much better than the others aired this year
Fanservice
Should win but DQ'd due to being an Adult Swim ad. It is quick, funny, and does its job.

Worst Moment
Where to begin? With SAOII, Akame ga Kill and filler. There is no shortage of stupid to nominate so I try and narrow it down to the cream of the crud.

Nominees:
ASADA SAN ASADA SAN ASADA SAN (Death Gun's reveal) SAOII
Wow, choosing just one from SAOII was hard. From Super AIDS to Klein falling for an AI. There is no shortage of stupid but Death Gun's reveal is something else. Aside from being blindingly obvious (Kyougi was the only other named character that could possibly be Death Gun) the rapey vibes to Kirito's escape elevated it to a new plane of stupidity.
I think you are a man eating alien and I want you to cut that out! Parasyte:The Maxim
Her brother is in the FBI, she knows he is a killer alien thing and her plan is to confront it alone without telling anyone. There is something that makes this whole thing worse I'll update with in the new year. The sad thing is the girl in question was a good wingman to Shinichi and it is a testament how bad Parasyte is with women when they assassinate her character over the course of one episode.
Ass Creed: Revelations SAOII
Told you it was hard. This encapsulates everything wrong with SAOII from the narrative jumps to the needless exploitative fanservice and the plodding pace of the episode in a fucking cave. I need to take a shower.
Dishonorable Mentions: Let's get rid of savior when aliens attack! (TTGL), I HATE LIFE FIBERS DESPITE ONE OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS IS A UNIFORM! (Kill la Kill), Naruto filler, One Piece The Baby The Baby The Baby filler.

Best Moment
While there were certainly lows there were plenty of high points as well. We said goodbye to an old friend we never knew we had, we fought WITH GALAXIES and dealt with the fallout of a teacher's death.

Nominees:
Merry's Funeral One Piece
Full disclosure. I am a bit biased about this. I saw this and teared up when I first watched it. Merry's apology pushed me over the edge. When One Piece fires on all cylinders it may even make you care about things you never knew you cared about.
Finale TTGL
This is the finale to end all finales. They fight united to stop a universe ending being and PUNCH IT IN THE FACE. It is about as balls out as you could have hoped. TTGL is at its peak when it is go big or go home.
Shikamaru getting over his mentor's death Naruto Shippuden
This episode had no right to be as good as it did. It is technically filler but I dare say it ascends that and becomes canon in my heart. The direction in the episode makes you really feel what Shikamaru is going through and really sets the stakes going into the Immortals Arc.
Honorable mentions: Usopp rejoins the crew (One Piece), Don't break these cups...(Satsuki to Elite 4 in KLK), Goku Super Saiyan (DBZ Kai)

Best Fight
I feel this nomination is stacked so it is hard to choose what gets dropped and what stays. My choices are based on emotional impact, animation and/or my personal preferences.

Nominees:
Team Gurren Vs. Anti-Spiral TTGL
This is almost unfair since it is a grand finale but I can't ignore it. You really feel every member fighting to their last breath and drilling towards the heavens as they punch the anti-spirals out of this world.
Sanji vs. Jabra One Piece
There are tons of great fights in Enies but this one holds a special place in my heart. It does a good job showcasing why Sanji is great.
Shikamaru vs Hidan Naruto Shippuden
Another fight that showcases Shikamaru's abilities and makes a great emotional capper to his story for this arc.
Honorable mentions: Chopper vs Kumadori (One Piece), Nami vs Kalifa (One Piece), Franky vs. Fukarou (One Piece), Goku vs Vegeta (DBZ Kai), Fight Club Mako vs. Ryoko (Kill la Kill), Ryoko vs. Satsuki (Kill la Kill), Luffy vs. Lucci (One Piece)

(continued later)

The fact Goku vs Freeza doesn't even get an honorable nod mention invalidates your whole list Raxus

And yea I realize the fight is still ongoing, but its THE shonen fight :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
well actually i think i saw like...the first episode or two of Champloo.

I remember what was in the promo, and that seemed pretty early on

Just about that entire promo was from episode 1. With good reason.

Samurai Champloo is probably still my pick for all-time best episode 1 of an anime ever.

Soulflarz

Banned
Best Promo
N/A

Worst Moment
ASADASAN ASADASAN

Best Moment
Armor from Spacecraft line, killed me
Row Row Fight Da power

Best Fight
N/A

Worst Character
Can I put the whole AGK cast in here?

Best Character
Mako/ Jojo Mako

Best Villain
N/A

Biggest Disappointment
Michiko and Hatchin because of that ending

Best Surprise
Samurai Jack returns, shamelessly stealing this because it's true

Most Wanted New Show
OPM
JoJo- even if part 1 will be kind of boring.

N/A

N/A, anything Cristina Vee did.

All I could think of, blame sleepiness, I may update if I ever remember.

Best Promo
Don't remember any of them

Worst Moment
Every time Akame ga Kill tries to be intentionally funny

Best Moment
Excuse me Bitch?
Armor from the plating of a space battleship
Shinichi throwing the dog in the garbage

Best Fight
Easily Luffy vs Lucci

Worst Character
Esdeath

Best Character
Sinon
Ryuko
Post hair flip Shinichi

Best Villain
Justice

Biggest Disappointment
Kill la Kill

Best Surprise
Samurai Jack

Most Wanted New Show
Jojo

Gamagoori

Justice
Ryuko

Edit: kind of weird there's no best music or animation category, but I'm not complaining.

Raxus

The fact Goku vs Freeza doesn't even get an honorable nod mention invalidates your whole list Raxus

And yea I realize the fight is still ongoing, but its THE shonen fight :p

The only reason I didn't mention it (though it is an excellent fight) is Goku vs. Vegeta is the superior fight. Goku basically pulls a power up out of his ass and the rest of the fight is a curbstomp to Frieza. Granted it is very cathartic considering how much of a dick Frieza is but Goku vs. Vegeta really felt like a fight that Goku really won by the skin of his teeth with both fighters being pushed to their limit.

Frieza redefined shonen fights for better and for worse but Goku vs Vegeta is what makes truly exciting fights. See Simon vs Genome. Guy fucking walked out of his tank to PUNCH SIMON IN THE FACE. The only reason I didn't include that is because I am fairly certain it just missed the cut off and aired last year otherwise it would have been my TTGL nod.
Just about that entire promo was from episode 1. With good reason.

Samurai Champloo is probably still my pick for all-time best episode 1 of an anime ever.

Not to mention an OST that is only rivaled by Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

The only reason I didn't mention it (though it is an excellent fight) is Goku vs. Vegeta is the superior fight. Goku basically pulls a power up out of his ass and the rest of the fight is a curbstomp to Frieza. Granted it is very cathartic considering how much of a dick Frieza is but Goku vs. Vegeta really felt like a fight that Goku really won by the skin of his teeth with both fighters being pushed to their limit.

Frieza redefined shonen fights for better and for worse but Goku vs Vegeta is what makes truly exciting fights. See Simon vs Gerome. Guy fucking walked out of his tank to PUNCH SIMON IN THE FACE. The only reason I didn't include that is because I am fairly certain it just missed the cut off and aired last year otherwise it would have been my TTGL nod.

Not to mention an OST that is only rivaled by Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

Goku didn't even win the fight with Vegeta, Gohan did when he accidentally fell on Vegeta in ape form. Goku's spirit bomb (which krillin threw and Gohan bounced btw) badly hurt Vegeta but he still would have killed them all had it not been for Gohan.

As much as I like Goku vs Frieza, the stakes of the fight literally turned to 0 when Goku turned Super Saiyan and is now just delaying the fight for arbitrary reasons even though he could murder Frieza in a minute.

Its why I'd definitely put Luffy vs Lucci at #1. Even though they're just dicking around for the first half when everyone else is fighting, when their fight actually does happen it's definitely one of the best moments in the entire series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As much as I like Goku vs Frieza, the stakes of the fight literally turned to 0 when Goku turned Super Saiyan and is now just delaying the fight for arbitrary reasons even though he could murder Frieza in a minute.

Its why I'd definitely put Luffy vs Lucci at #1. Even though they're just dicking around for the first half when everyone else is fighting, when their fight actually does happen it's definitely one of the best moments in the entire series.

Agreed. Luffy vs Lucci isn't a curb stomp battle and is one of the better fights in the series. Goku vs Freezer is just cathartic after seeing Freezer be such an asshole for so long, but it's not all that edge-of-your-seat-exciting. There's definitely other fights I'd put above it, but I'm not sure any of them are eligible this year.

Agreed. Luffy vs Lucci isn't a curb stomp battle and is one of the better fights in the series. Goku vs Freezer is just cathartic after seeing Freezer be such an asshole for so long, but it's not all that edge-of-your-seat-exciting. There's definitely other fights I'd put above it, but I'm not sure any of them are eligible this year.

SAO2 had some very well directed fight scenes made even better by Kajiura's composition, but it just goes back to the problem of it not having any stakes since its a video game that means nothing. Out of context, they're great, but they lose a lot of impact otherwise.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I voted for Luffy Vs. Lucci as one of my favorite fights, if not for that satisfying ending. Though I'll probably still vote for the final fight in Gurren Lagann just because of all that build up and the fact THEY WERE USING GALAXIES AS THROWING STARS.

Raxus

Part 2 of 3

Worst Character
With Akame ga Edge and SAOII airing it was sadly not hard to find nominees for this category.

Nominees:
Kirito SAOII
The definition of a Gary Stu. He is shows up and is amazing at everything he does in games he isn't familiar with and beats impossible challenges. Character development? What's that? CAN'T MAKE TIME FOR THAT HERE IS A LIGHTSABER FUCK THIS CHARACTER ARRRRRGHSVOUSFUNJKSD@&%W!@#.
Ragyo Kill la Kill
I do a lot to defend Kill la Kill but...yeah, Ragyo is inexcusible at times. She is an intimidating presence and a good villain but much like most things in Kill la Kill she is cranked up to 11 when she didn't need to be. All the incest/rapey stuff she does really pushed things to far, Shame too she has the best music attached to her.
Eren Attack on Titan
Hey guys, let's make our protagonist a major jobber attached to more interesting characters! *two nondescript people high five afterwards*
Dishonorable mentions: Bulma (DBZKai),Yui (SAO II), Chelsea (Akame ga Kill!), Sora (Naruto Shippuden)

Best Character
Another one I find it hard not to nominate multiple people for. Usopp barely missed the list for one reason. He has even better moments in the series and I wanted to give credit to other characters.

Nominees:
Satsuki Kill la Kill
Mako just missed the list. Personally, I liked Satsuki's character arc and her final moment with the elite 4 just missed my best moment list. In a series with big personalities she ruled with an iron fist but thanks to her relationship with Ryoko she softens and begins to view the elite 4 as friends rather than minions. There are tons of great characters in Kill la Kill but Satsuki was the most consistent and emotionally rewarding out of all of them with Mako in a close CLOSE second.
Vegeta DBZ Kai
The breakout character of DBZ, Vegeta actually begins to go through a character arc here as he tries to break free from Frieza and continues to persue his self destructive dream of greater and greater power. He also understands the importance of double tapping his opponent so props to him for that. Renegade 4 life.
Migi Parasyte
My dark horse candidate. Migi is an interesting character. He thinks rationally to a fault, is studious and even (unbeknownst to him) has a great deadpan sense of humor. By far the best character on the show.
Honorable mentions: Mako (Kill la Kill), Ryoko (Kill la Kill), Frieza (DBZ Kai), Armin (Attack on Titan), Yuuki (SAO II), Luffy (One Piece), Merry (One Piece), Usopp (One Piece)

Best Villain
Due to being at the end of the story Viral and Lord Genome couldn't make the villain list sadly but there are some notable villains to still make the list.

Nominees:
Frieza DBZ Kai
Frieza is probably DBZ's best villain. He seems unstoppable, is extraordinarily hard to kill and it takes an ancient prophecy to take him down. I can see why Toriyama wanted to end after Frieza. How else can you top Space Hitler?
Lucci One Piece
One Piece tends to have great villains. Lucci is one of my favorites because he is so simple. He is a cold blooded assassin through and through and provides one of the closest fights in One Piece history. Despite all of Luffy's power ups he needs the help of Usopp and a little extra in order to beat him.
Esdeath Akame ga Kill!
Sue me. I like her. She is utterly convinced in her beliefs, has one of the greatest/stupidest plot lines in the entire story, and is seemingly unstoppable. Crazy, unwavering and deadly. I love it.
Honorable mentions: Annie (Attack on Titan), Nui Harame (Kill la Kill), Spandam (One Piece), Anti-Spirals (TTGL),Kakuzu and Hidan (Naruto Shippuden)

Biggest Disappointment
DISAPPOINTED!

Nominees:
Toonami getting shortened
It had to happen sadly and it gave us a leaner meaner Toonami but I still can't help but feel disappointed that we lost so many new acquisitions and reruns of shows like Space Dandy due to ratings.
Sentai dubs
Let's get this out of the way. The shows sentai dubbed for Toonami aren't classics by any means but they each have merits to them in their favor. Sentai's dub robs them of their merits and somehow turns them into another negative. Sentai sticks to the script way too hard and when they do go off it is awful ('Scuse me bitch?). Add to the fact the comedic timing is completely off and you have the makings of painful early 90's dubbing in 20 fucking 15.
SAOII
I set the bar low and you still failed. Bravo! I think the extra disappointment comes from when they somehow find a competent storyline and get rid of Gary Stu only to give the girl Super AIDS. Oh and KAYABA!
Dishonorable mentions: None I can think of sticks out, I covered the major ones.

Top Bottom