• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |NovDec15| It's Man God's world, we're just posting in it

Moaradin

One Punch Man is gonna win easily since it's got both the general appeal AND the anime thread on it's side. Ain't nothing else to rally behind either.

Also that Berserk teaser is out and it's shit as expected.

At least the popular OT vote this year is for something good and not Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill

Well last year it was Space Dandy, which is good.

It's not Ping Pong, the rightful champion, but it was a good popular vote.

I didn't watch enough shows this year to feel good about voting and I don't really wanna try to catch up.

One Punch Man would make a great Toonami group watch. Being only 12 episodes probably hurts its chances of airing, though.

That Lupin III show they wanted is short, too, though it was probably cheap so that might be a factor.

On the other hand, I wonder if they see more value in short shows now that they have that newer rerun slot

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*checks episode list* It was only 12?! Man, that felt like a much longer series for some reason.

I think it's because it didn't really have an ending.
I believe it was going to go past 12 episodes, but the ratings were so shit they cut it short.

The manga is finished now. It's okay.

Grexeno

One Punch Man is a 12 episode show that probably costs the same as a 24 episode show.

That's not a good thing for it's chances.

Also that Berserk teaser is out and it's shit as expected.

This was literally my reaction from seeing the teaser.

giphy.gif

Despite common perceptions, budget doesn't always play as big of a role in good anime animation.

People give far more power to the mythical concept of "budget" then they should, when most of the time a show looks good because they got a good director and good animators and were able to keep a solid production schedule.

Notice how people always talk about budget but never say how much the show actually cost or how that cost was split or who is funding the production.

I honestly don't get what's the big deal with the game. I've only seen the stage in Dengeki and that's all. Seems like a pretty boring MMO to me.

The original PSO was a pretty big deal back in the day and still played by some to this day, it's understandable why it's numbered sequel has people curious to try it.

BatDan

For example: Toei
Toei makes billions off merchandise. Budgets are not an issue with them
It's about directors, and where they place them. Right now, Pretty Cure has their top directors, and despite Dragon Ball being crazy popular, they have a weaker one on Super.
Sometimes showrunners screw things up to, with One Piece they think it's wise to have 1 episode = 1 chapter pacing (sometimes less).

Moaradin

IE if you don't like cg anime this trailer isn't going to convince you otherwise

more like if you don't like bad CG. I'm completely fine with CGI in anime if it doesn't look like a ps2 cutscene. There is one scene in that trailer that looked decent. Most of it was pretty bad.

BatDan

You know what Berserk really needs? A live-action TV series, on HBO or Netflix.
At least the CGI won't look like PS2 cutscenes.

more like if you don't like bad CG. I'm completely fine with CGI in anime if it doesn't look like a ps2 cutscene. There is one scene in that trailer that looked decent. Most of it was pretty bad.

You say this yet stuff like RWBY and Knights of Sidonia is popular and has equally as hideous CGi

Moaradin

You say this yet stuff like RWBY and Knights of Sidonia is popular and has equally as hideous CGi

From what little I've seen of Knights of Sidonia, this Berserk teaser looks worse than that. And RWBY is a web-series from a popular youtube channel...

is it unrealistic of me to expect better from one of the most famous and highly praised manga of all time?

Jarate

Banned
I wouldn't mind watching this.

The Chinese series that came out in like 2008 is really god. But the action sequences are far too kung fu filmy for my taste and a few of the sets are really poorly done

But Cao Cap absolutely carries the fuck out of that show

Japan has done a ton via anime. Heck, isn't Ikki Tousen a (very loosely) retelling?

And pretty much all of them have been mediocre to bad

Japan has done a ton via anime. Heck, isn't Ikki Tousen a (very loosely) retelling?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Warring States Period has got to be one of the most common manga settings. The amount boggles the mind, and a lot of them are really good. But being Warring States, they are also like 900 chapters long with 1,000 characters.

Yeah I know it was already posted above but I'll post the tweet anyways:
qEoruLs.png

I think it's because it didn't really have an ending.
I believe it was going to go past 12 episodes, but the ratings were so shit they cut it short.

The manga is finished now. It's okay.

Whoa really? so, how does it all end for our boy ganta? does he get his name cleared and out of the crazy prison hellhole?!

Jarate

Banned
Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Warring States Period has got to be one of the most common manga settings. The amount boggles the mind, and a lot of them are really good. But being Warring States, they are also like 900 chapters long with 1,000 characters.

ROTK is one of the most influential Asian books to ever been released. Its similar to something like the Illyad/Odyssey

Warring States period is also probably the most important war in east Asian history in terms of cultural impact

BatDan

Whoa really? so, how does it all end for our boy ganta? does he get his name cleared and out of the crazy prison hellhole?!

Manga spoilers obviously (not sure if I should tag since I doubt Deadman will get another anime)
Yeah, all the innocent people got cleared. Shiro went crazy and basically took over the prison, while G-Cup Tits helped everyone else get out. But then they went back because of a new villain that kind of came out of nowhere only making Shiro worse. Then it turned Shrio and the Wretched Egg weren't split personalities, it was all her, and she wants to die. The manga ends with Ganta fighting her, and she ends up in a coma. But the last page has her wake up.
There was also a plot point about Ganta's powers slowly killing him, but that went absolutely nowhere

Manga spoilers obviously (not sure if I should tag since I doubt Deadman will get another anime)
Yeah, all the innocent people got cleared. Shiro went crazy and basically took over the prison, while G-Cup Tits helped everyone else get out. But then they went back because of a new villain that kind of came out of nowhere only making Shiro worse. Then it turned Shrio and the Wretched Egg weren't split personalities, it was all her, and she wants to die. The manga ends with Ganta fighting her, and she ends up in a coma. But the last page has her wake up.
There was also a plot point about Ganta's powers slowly killing him, but that went absolutely nowhere

Cool. so does the manga explain how Ganta's life is after the whole DW events? I'm pretty sure he can't go back to a normal life after that.

Top Bottom