• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Switch looks fine.

But show us more of the new Mario game.

yO3rlz2.gif

Lwyvtrt.gif

zulux21

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer. Dear lord, I have never been more excited to own a console in my life.

I must have seen a different trailer because all I saw were some nintendo games running on an ipad that happened to have special sides to hold some poorly designed controllers that happened to be able to have a dock as well.

as a portable it looks poorly designed, as a home console it might be fine but it's going to be a niche market.

it's going to be far more like the wiiu than the wii in sales.

Wow, that Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer told me as much about the game as the teaser image did.

I should try the first one sometime. I got it after I disconnected my 360 and haven't been motivated to hook it up to play lol.

I must have seen a different trailer because all I saw were some nintendo games running on an ipad that happened to have special sides to hold some poorly designed controllers that happened to be able to have a dock as well.

as a portable it looks poorly designed, as a home console it might be fine but it's going to be a niche market.

I don't think we're ever going to see a console that matches what the wii did in terms of sales.

The fact Switch will get one of the biggest WRPGs ever for easy portable play should be fairly exciting. The only way the controllers look uncomfortable is in the detached two player mode and I imagine what we saw today isn't the final design of the system so that has potential to change. I'm also not sure how you think it's poorly designed as a portable considering it looks like a thinner ipad and people take those things with them everywhere like it's no big deal.

Mizerman

To be fair, the Wii was an anomaly when it came to sales. Came at the right time, right place. I don't think Nintendo is expecting such a breakout at this point.

BBboy20

I don't think we're ever going to see a console that matches what the wii did in terms of sales.

The fact Switch will get one of the biggest WRPGs ever for easy portable play should be fairly exciting. The only way the controllers look uncomfortable is in the detached two player mode and I imagine what we saw today isn't the final design of the system so that has potential to change. I'm also not sure how you think it's poorly designed as a portable considering it looks like a thinner ipad and people take those things with them everywhere like it's no big deal.
Battery and controls is going to be the system's challenge in regards of being a handheld and since it's no longer small enough to fit into the average pocket, that alone shrinks anyone who would buy it to primarily game on the go with the least amount of hassle possible.

Fuck, I am working the weekend when JoJo episode 3 premieres.
Guess Google glasses really should have taken off.

zulux21

To be fair, the Wii was an anomaly when it came to sales. Came at the right time, right place. I don't think Nintendo is expecting such a breakout at this point.

wii started off well but overall it was around the same as the ps3 and 360 (we are talking 85mil vs 100 which isn't a huge difference given the lead the wii started with), less than the ds and i think some of the gameboys.

and it is roughly around where the wiiu+3ds lifetime sales should end.

quite frankly if you replace the 3ds and wiiu with a single console and if it doesn't even get near wii numbers life time, that will be a failure of a system.

the wii ended up with a little over 100 mil.
I am expecting this to have like half of that, which for a combined ecosystem would be a flop on par with the wiiu as the 3ds was at least able to save the wiiu's time for nintendo a bit.

wii started off well but overall it was around the same as the ps3 and 360 (we are talking 85mil vs 100 which isn't a huge difference given the lead the wii started with), less than the ds and i think some of the gameboys.

and it is roughly around where the wiiu+3ds lifetime sales should end.

quite frankly if you replace the 3ds and wiiu with a single console and if it doesn't even get near wii numbers life time, that will be a failure of a system.

the wii ended up with a little over 100 mil.
I am expecting this to have like half of that, which for a combined ecosystem would be a flop on par with the wiiu as the 3ds was at least able to save the wiiu's time for nintendo a bit.

I think you are greatly over estimating how much this needs to sell to be successful.

Also you can't say this should sell as well as a handheld and console combined when people historically have bought both. In a shrinking handheld market of this does as well as the 3ds it'll be a success.

zulux21

I think you are greatly over estimating how much this needs to sell to be successful.

I figured that sales roughly on par with last generation sales, which were way down from the generation before was a good spot to deem success.

unless you really think that reducing your overall console sales by half each gen is a great way to stay in business as that is what they did from wii/ds to wiiu/3ds (actually more than half for like 1/3rd but still) and would do if they went from 100 mil life time wiiu/3ds (guessing where they will be after a few years of 3ds fire sales but should be around there) to 50 switch.

edit: just saw you added more.

the 3ds will end up with around 80-85mil life time sales when all is said and done.
hands down I agree if this reaches that it would be a good enough success.

I think 50 mil is it's upper limit though which would at best be a break even point.

I figured that sales roughly on par with last generation sales, which were way down from the generation before was a good spot to deem success.

unless you really think that reducing your overall console sales by half each gen is a great way to stay in business as that is what they did from wii/ds to wiiu/3ds (actually more than half for like 1/3rd but still) and would do if they went from 100 mil life time wiiu/3ds to 50 switch.

You missed my edit, but two units combined isn't fair to compare to 1 hybrid since there was a lot of cross over between wiiu and 3ds owners who now only need to buy 1 unit.

Edit: this is a battle of edits lol

And yea if this does around 3ds numbers it'll be a success. You also have to remember this won't split the software either like past gens so all games will develop and sell for the one sku. Comparing this thing to nintendo's past really doesn't work.

Jarate

Banned
Nintendo also doesnt invest nearly as much in their gaming platforms as Sony and Microsoft do.

The main thing i noticed this generation is that Nintendo couldnt give the 2 systems a steady stream of games that they needed. The 3ds would have a good period, then the wii u, and then the 3ds again, while generally the other system suffered for it. This should help them a lot.

zulux21

You missed my edit, but two units combined isn't fair to compare to 1 hybrid since there was a lot of cross over between wiiu and 3ds owners who now only need to buy 1 unit.

Edit: this is a battle of edits lol

And yea if this does around 3ds numbers it'll be a success. You also have to remember this won't split the software either like past gens so all games will develop and sell for the one sku. Comparing this thing to nintendo's past really doesn't work.

sure it does.
you compare it to the 3ds not wiiu.

the wiiu has only had like 3 notable releases in the last 3 years. hardly a big change to the 3ds library if they got them instead :p

even with a decent library though, the product itself likely won't sell well.
it's to big for japan.
and not made by apple for america so screw that premium tablet.

i mean the main thing will be the price.
if they can get it out at a wii price of $199 I will update my expectations and expect it to be a success.

given I am expecting it to come out at $299 in a time where you could get a ps4/xbox one for less and the shiny new versions for just a bit more.

I don't expect it to do very well in general even if it does have a decent library as it won't be nearly as big or diverse as the ps4/xbox one at that point.

Nintendo also doesnt invest nearly as much in their gaming platforms as Sony and Microsoft do.

The main thing i noticed this generation is that Nintendo couldnt give the 2 systems a steady stream of games that they needed. The 3ds would have a good period, then the wii u, and then the 3ds again, while generally the other system suffered for it. This should help them a lot.

it was more like the 3ds would have a good period... the wiiu would pretend to do something but didn't... then the 3ds would have a good period... and the wiiu would collect dust...

I mean the wiiu has been dead with releases for years aside from like 1 title a year (splatoon, xenoblade) which really won't change things for a single console at all. nintendo just will likely fund less games, not combine the two, as if they really cared about not having droughts they could have invested in more teams in general.

zulux21

I don't give a shit how well games and consoles sell. I just play stuff.

I can get that feeling, but at the same time games and consoles selling well matter.

I mean I would have loved to buy more wiiu games, but since the console and games on it tended to sell poorly they dryed up.

I would love another trauma team game, but since it sold bad I won't get one :(

and while I don't base my game purchases off if a game sold well, I will do the opposite, knowing that first day sales matter a lot more to a game like a Tales of game than call of duty as if the tales of game drops to much in first day sales they might stop localizing them, while call of duty would just try again.

Seda

I can get that feeling, but at the same time games and consoles selling well matter.

I mean I would have loved to buy more wiiu games, but since the console and games on it tended to sell poorly they dryed up.

I would love another trauma team game, but since it sold bad I won't get one :(

and while I don't base my game purchases off if a game sold well, I will do the opposite, knowing that first day sales matter a lot more to a game like a Tales of game than call of duty as if the tales of game drops to much in first day sales they might stop localizing them, while call of duty would just try again.

I tend not to worry about the things I have no (or exceedingly minuscule) control over.

zulux21

I tend not to worry about the things I have no (or exceedingly minuscule) control over.

fair enough.

I tend to enjoy locating over looked games and try to get my friends to enjoy them as well.

either way the switch could be the best console ever and I likely wouldn't be getting one any time soon given how disappointed I was with the wiiu and how meh I am towards the 3ds.

zulux21

Wii U still the only console worth owning this generation.

*looks at ps4, looks over at mlb the show and disgaea 5*
*looks at wiiu, looks over at smash bros and hyrule warriors*

I am going to have to disagree here. ps4 has plenty on it, and has plenty more still coming.

to be fair both of my consoles were bought used from cowboom (now defunct sadly :() only reason I owned a ps4 before last year was because I got it for $180 10 months after it came out.

hyrule warriors is basically the only reason my wiiu is still hooked up though lol.

Seda

Apologies for the snark, but I do seriously take a more "selfish" approach when it comes to something like this (if you want to put it that way).

I'll buy games, consoles, or whatever simply on my own interests. I won't jump on a soapbox to to critique what a company/developer/publisher should or shouldn't do, that's not my concern. If a company's decisions leads to significant changes what they offer in this market or their success in this market, that has no bearing on what I look for in games in the first place. I'll simply go where my interests go.

I'm more about simply buying the things that interest me and my own personal satisfaction. Would my enjoyment of games like Baten Kaitos Origins change if 1.) It sold better/worse? 2.) If more/less other people liked it too? 3.) If the franchise still existed? 4.) If Namco and MonolithSoft shut down and never made a game again?

Nah.

Apologies for the snark, but I do seriously take a more "selfish" approach when it comes to something like this (if you want to put it that way).

I'll buy games, consoles, or whatever simply on my own interests. I won't jump on a soapbox to to critique what a company/developer/publisher should or shouldn't do, that's not my concern. If a company's decisions leads to significant changes what they offer in this market or their success in this market, that has no bearing on what I look for in games in the first place. I'll simply go where my interests go.

I'm more about simply buying the things that interest me and my own personal satisfaction. Would my enjoyment of games like Baten Kaitos Origins change if 1.) It sold better/worse? 2.) If more/less other people liked it too? 3.) If the franchise still existed?

Nah.

I mean if a game you like ends on a cliff hanger and you never get resolution to that story I think it would impact your satisfaction of a game and then the answers to the questions about "if it had sold better/still been around" would be yes.

Mizerman

I'm more about simply buying the things that interest me and my own personal satisfaction. Would my enjoyment of games like Baten Kaitos Origins change if 1.) It sold better/worse? 2.) If more/less other people liked it too? 3.) If the franchise still existed?

Nah.

Actually, that's pretty much in line on my positions about games. If I enjoy the game, that's all I care about.

I'm more about simply buying the things that interest me and my own personal satisfaction. Would my enjoyment of games like Baten Kaitos Origins change if 1.) It sold better/worse? 2.) If more/less other people liked it too? 3.) If the franchise still existed? 4.) If Namco and MonolithSoft shut down and never made a game again?

Nah.
That's the stance I wish most gamers had.
Games are tools for providing entertainment. If a video game has entertained you and made your time with it worthwhile, then it's done the job.
I'm very picky about spending money on games that don't meet my interests. I rarely pre-order games and if there's a game with a lot of praise that didn't interest me initially, I'll just wait for a sale or price-cut.

Huh, random note, I think we're keeping the full version of Roundabout for the rest of its run on JoJo.

Don't toy with me like that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom