• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
AKA this is one reason why I dropped Dragon Ball Super pretty damn quickly. While it is nice that she still has the gig, I just couldn't stand Goku and King Kai's voices.

King Kai's voice actually got replaced. His original voice, Joji Yanami, took medical leave. I mean, he is 85.
His new voice is Naoki Tatuta, who also voices Oolong. He's still an old man at 66 but not as much of an old man.

Soulflarz

Banned
Youplayedyourself.gif

We warned you dude, we warned you.

Don't say we didn't warn you.

I got played like the computer room nerds.

r5JgmYJ.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
King Kai's voice actually got replaced. His original voice, Joji Yanami, took medical leave. I mean, he is 85.
His new voice is Naoki Tatuta, who also voices Oolong. He's still an old man at 66 but not as much of an old man.

At this point I am just waiting for the dub.

Today is the 80th birthday of Masako Nozawa, the Japanese VA of Goku, & is still voicing him after all these years.

.........also, a reminder that Goku is voiced by an 80 year old lady.

The only VA I despise. I understand that women voice male characters sometimes because their voices don't change but this is the one case where it just doesn't fit. She cannot convincingly play an adult male. Masako Nozawa should have been replaced ages ago and the directors are fools for letting her keep the role so long. She could have voiced kid Gohan and that would have been fine. They did that in Mexico and it worked well. But this is just ridiculous. I don't know how Japanese fans, who are so vocal in their distaste of certain aspects of DB, could have just accepted something so incredibly wrong. When I first heard English Goku it took some getting used to but I was okay with it. First time I heard Japanese Goku I immediately turned it off. So bad.

Is women voicing adult men a common thing? This actually surprised me because Goku's voice is obviously masculine in the dub.

For adult men, not really unless the character is more androgynous. Much like here though, you do have female voice actors who will voice male characters who are kids or young teenagers. In the case of characters like Goku and Naruto, their voices become so synonymous with the character that they never get recast, even after they've grown up.

Masako Nozawa is a legend. It's a shame how much disrespect she gets in the West.

It took me a while to get used to her when I watched DB subbed, but I got used to it and enjoyed her Goku to the point where it wasn't really jarring anymore.

Saying that Nozawa continuing to voice Goku is wrong is pretty arrogant since she's been the de-facto personification of Goku before the property was even known of outside of Japan. It's selfish to insist that the producers and Toriyama didn't know what they were doing at the time since none of us were even there. It's almost like saying Walt Disney was the wrong choice for the original Mickey Mouse even though he created the character.
Even Sean Schemmel admires Nozawa.

Moaradin

I used to really dislike Nozawa Goku but I've warmed up on it lately. I still vastly prefer the dub, but it's tolerable now. Years of listening to old ladies voice Luffy and Naruto probably helped with that.

Seda

I prefer dub Goku but I've gotten used to his Japanese voice, and I don't even watch DBS or anything.

Sometimes people criticize that Sean is too "superhero" for Goku, but I kinda disagree in the sense that Sean can sound really silly/playful at appropriate times. Unless the argument is that he should /never/ sound superhero, then I guess that's more a character argument.

Out of curiosity, is the romance in the 2011 Thundercats reboot the worst romance we've had on the block?

I was pondering on this earlier. Yeah, the romance in SAO is bad, but I don't think it's why SAO is bad. The romance in Thundercats actively ruined the three leads, who while never great, especially Tygra, were at least consistent. Come the end of season one, and Lion-O, Tygra, and Cheetara all look like idiots.

BBboy20

Even Sean Schemmel admires Nozawa.
CCVQnMxUsAAwb68.jpg

The only VA I despise. I understand that women voice male characters sometimes because their voices don't change but this is the one case where it just doesn't fit. She cannot convincingly play an adult male. Masako Nozawa should have been replaced ages ago and the directors are fools for letting her keep the role so long. She could have voiced kid Gohan and that would have been fine. They did that in Mexico and it worked well. But this is just ridiculous. I don't know how Japanese fans, who are so vocal in their distaste of certain aspects of DB, could have just accepted something so incredibly wrong. When I first heard English Goku it took some getting used to but I was okay with it. First time I heard Japanese Goku I immediately turned it off. So bad.
1444862217-sideeye.jpg

I don't mind her as Goku that much. I like the subtle tone difference she does as Black Goku.

Also sidenote: I love Beerus' dub voice. Probably my favorite DBZ dub voice even though I haven't heard a ton from him.

Jarate

Banned
Grandma Goku is a disgusting abomination!

Ocean Group Goku is definitely the best guys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Levyne

Banned
Having not ever watched sub dragon ball before, as I started watching super I grew into liking her performance. I LOVE her Black: it's such a subtle but clear difference. I hope Sean fleshes himself out from cancer-throat mode he seemed to do for Black in XV2, but he might've had very little direction to go with other than "evil goku"

Jarate

Banned
She's a really good VA, but it's tough for me to not only accept a childish voice like that for Goku, but also too rid myself of nostalgia and not accept Gokus Funimation VA as the voice of Goku

Falcouner Soundtrack though would be way better, that ain't even nostalgia talking, its an undeniable fact

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Out of curiosity, is the romance in the 2011 Thundercats reboot the worst romance we've had on the block?

I was pondering on this earlier. Yeah, the romance in SAO is bad, but I don't think it's why SAO is bad. The romance in Thundercats actively ruined the three leads, who while never great, especially Tygra, were at least consistent. Come the end of season one, and Lion-O, Tygra, and Cheetara all look like idiots.
What about Tenchi Muyo GXP?

Ray Down

Banned
Best case scenario is Jojo is cancelled and replaced with Fairy Tail in two weeks.

FHiLaW6.png

Today is the 80th birthday of Masako Nozawa, the Japanese VA of Goku, & is still voicing him after all these years.

You forget Doraemon and Doctor Kureha, will be a sad day when see can't do the voice anymore.

I used to really dislike Nozawa Goku but I've warmed up on it lately. I still vastly prefer the dub, but it's tolerable now. Years of listening to old ladies voice Luffy and Naruto probably helped with that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've never seen everyone so uninterested in a marathon.
I'm trying to remember the last time everyone was so negative on a marathon. Maybe Akame ga Kill, but it was the beginning of the series & had some moments like JUSTICE GIRL killing Chloe or whoever.

Last (& maybe the only marathon I skipped) marathon that I had no interest in was DBZ Kai.

VariantX

It's going to get real weird for sub watchers like myself when she's no longer able to perform at the level she is now. Its hard to imagine goku with a different Japanese voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom