• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

I won't start playing until I'm home for Thanksgiving.

I've avoided the spoiler leaks but it's probably going to get a lot harder with it out in the wild.

So the new Pokemon Anime looks like it will be giving us some God-Tier reaction shot bait:

tumblr_ogtkq5iDJq1r1uq0jo1_500.gif

tumblr_ogtkq5iDJq1r1uq0jo2_500.gif

Jarate

Banned
I really like the art style of the new pokemon show. Really nice look for it.

Also, can't stand vocaloid and jpop music and I also dont have money, so I wont be getting Project Diva F

cntr

Banned
I have a serious question

What are "spoilers" in a Pokémon game? Isn't the plot of the game basically inconsequential?
Part of the fun of series, the main appeal even, is being able to explore the region and discover everything new. They're adventure games, and it ain't as much of an adventure if you know what's coming up

I got burned on people pointing to Pokemon X and Y and saying "THIS is the one where you can return to this franchise and see all the meaningful changes since you were gone" so I'm super weary of hearing the same for Sun and Moon

Regiruler

What are "spoilers" in a Pokémon game? Isn't the plot of the game basically inconsequential?

That's a rather condescending outlook towards the players that primarily play it for single player.
I got burned on people pointing to Pokemon X and Y and saying "THIS is the one where you can return to this franchise and see all the meaningful changes since you were gone" so I'm super weary of hearing the same for Sun and Moon

Play Generation 5 instead as those are actually good games.

Jarate

Banned
Im glad that you guys like Pokemon so much, but I havent enjoyed the series since Silver/Gold. I really want to like them because it's the only big release standard jrpg anymore :/

Moaradin

Ruby was the last one I played seriously. Might have dabbled in some of the DS ones, but I can't remember. Skipped the 3DS entirely.

I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the Pokemon games when the Switch one comes out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me feels like Sun/Moon might be the one to bring me back, but then I remember how stuff like Digimon Cyber Slueth & World of FF made stuff like that soooo much more tolerable & not feel so grindy/tedious.

Last Pokemon main series game I played was Gold....and Silver.......and Crystal......pretty much at the same time when I was a kid...which I think burned me out & lead me to no longer care about the series.

I don't remember many people saying that for X and Y. I still think gen 5 was the best times to recommend getting people back into the series. Black/White's story was really refreshing for the series, as was only new Pokémon until after the Elite 4. Black2/White2 has the best selection of early game Pokémon of any mainline game and the largest amount of post-elite 4 content.

zulux21

Im glad that you guys like Pokemon so much, but I havent enjoyed the series since Silver/Gold. I really want to like them because it's the only big release standard jrpg anymore :/

have you heard of a little series called persona?

I am assuming by standard jrpg you are meaning typical turn based combat. Persona is basically an adult version of pokemon. lots of creatures to collect. Type advantage, weakness, limited moves ect :p

the atelier games aren't that big of releases but also feature fairly standard jrpg goodness (as well as a in depth item creation system)

and Cosmic Star Heronie isn't big budget or technically a jrpg depending on how you define it, but it's basically a sci fi version of chrono trigger (or if chrono and phantasy star had a baby) so that one is worth watching for as it still needs to come out sometime.

also world of final fantasy was a decently big release that had standard jrpg goodness in it

This and black and white actually have a real plot to be spoiled unlike other games.

I mean depending upon when you last played sun and moon does have a lot of changes major and minor

-gym system is gone replaced by an island challenge which works more like the anime in terms of what you do to progress in the game

-movement isn't grid based anymore you now have full 3d movement and places designed around it (unlike xy which let you move 3d on roller skates but nothing felt designed around it)

-tons of trainer customization to really personalize your character (huge step up from xy's limited customizarion)

-z moves which are one time incredibly powerful damaging of buff moves that any pokemon can use unlike mega pokemon

-after you battle a pokemon once you can see what moves are effective or not against it, your pokedex now shows you how many evos a pokemon has, very detailed tracker for finding ones you want

-pokemon snap is build into the gameplay at various sections

At the end of the day it's still Pokemon but gamefreak has done a lot to try make this game feel fresh compared to past entires. The demo does a good job of giving you a feel for how a good chunk of these changes work and a tease of the story stuff.

Sun and Moon are more Mega Man -> Mega Man X, the basic core gameplay is the same but the changes make it feel different and unique and a much larger step up compared to say mega man 1-2 and jumping into mm 5-6.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
tfw pokemon is out but you dont get paid until the 23rd
tfw when you want to play your 3DS in general but cant find your charger and possibly might have left it in a hotel in tennasee

Jarate

Banned
have you heard of a little series called persona?

I am assuming by standard jrpg you are meaning typical turn based combat. Persona is basically an adult version of pokemon. lots of creatures to collect. Type advantage, weakness, limited moves ect :p

the atelier games aren't that big of releases but also feature fairly standard jrpg goodness (as well as a in depth item creation system)

and Cosmic Star Heronie isn't big budget or technically a jrpg depending on how you define it, but it's basically a sci fi version of chrono trigger (or if chrono and phantasy star had a baby) so that one is worth watching for as it still needs to come out sometime.

also world of final fantasy was a decently big release that had standard jrpg goodness in it

Persona is just now getting a new game, but I really didnt like 4 and having the main character be the biggest mary sue on earth. Yes, I know it's self insert fantasy, but if I wanted to self insert myself into all the media out there, you sure as hell wouldnt see me jump into a japanese high school. I really like the gameplay, and menu design though. Im gonna wait on 5 until it comes out.

Atelier looks fun, but it's one of those games where im not sure if it will be good, or if the only reason why people like it is because of anime girls.

World of Final Fantasy looked pretty boring tbh, and im not a big fan of chibi art styles

It's cool though, I'll just one day get an Xbox so i can replay Lost Oddyssey ;-;

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I got to play about 10 minutes or so of Pokemon on the subway while heading to work and goddamn is it anime as fuck. Not in a bad way though, I only just got my starter but I'm interested where all of this is going. If you haven't been spoiled you're going to have some fun with this one I think.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Persona is just now getting a new game, but I really didnt like 4 and having the main character be the biggest mary sue on earth. Yes, I know it's self insert fantasy, but if I wanted to self insert myself into all the media out there, you sure as hell wouldnt see me jump into a japanese high school. I really like the gameplay, and menu design though. Im gonna wait on 5 until it comes out.

Atelier looks fun, but it's one of those games where im not sure if it will be good, or if the only reason why people like it is because of anime girls.

World of Final Fantasy looked pretty boring tbh, and im not a big fan of chibi art styles

It's cool though, I'll just one day get an Xbox so i can replay Lost Oddyssey ;-;

Tokyo.

Mirage.

Sessions.

Seda

TMS is okay, but not as good as I expected based on positive impressions.

I kinda lump it in with JRPGs with crappy stories/characters saved by their battle systems like Tales of Graces F and Grandia 3, but both those games were better.

TMS is okay, but not as good as I expected based on positive impressions.

I kinda lump it in with JRPGs with crappy stories/characters saved by their battle systems like Tales of Graces F and Grandia 3, but both those games were better.

TMS has far more style then those titles though which can go a long way for some. Depending upon your musical taste it has better music as well.

Final Fantasy XV seems to have attracted that strange type of fanboyism beyond the norm.

Of course, you have those everyday weirdos who, for example, take offense at Jim Sterling not liking Dishonored 2. Just your normal everyday videogame fanboys. Then you have people stating that FFXV, a game they have nothing to do with, must not fail. They start putting together weird deluded fantasies about how people are plotting against FFXV.

Seda

The one thing that baffles me is people who make a character from an unreleased game their username and/or avatar.

Maybe wait and see if the game/character is any good yet?

Mizerman

Final Fantasy XV seems to have attracted that strange type of fanboyism beyond the norm.

Of course, you have those everyday weirdos who, for example, take offense at Jim Sterling not liking Dishonored 2. Just your normal everyday videogame fanboys. Then you have people stating that FFXV, a game they have nothing to do with, must not fail. They start putting together weird deluded fantasies about how people are plotting against FFXV.

To be fair, it's FF. It will always attract those kinds of folk.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The one thing that baffles me is people who make a character from an unreleased game their username and/or avatar.

It's funny when it happens with some Boy Band member from FF XIII Versus six years+ before the game comes out.

It's hilarious when it happens with something like Star Ocean 5.

Sometimes you just want a cool looking avatar though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

What if the game's out in Japan but US & reception over there is that it's good?

Seda

Yeah I'm kinda referring to the people who have had Noctis avatars for years and years and years.

Hopefully he's not terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom