• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wrestling is basically live action shonen anime filmed in front of an audience.

Colorful characters fighting each other all the time to see who is the strongest, they even have their own musical themes and named finishing moves.

I mean, this is basically every DBZ arc, when you get down to it:
https://youtu.be/DhKisE5000I

like we literally just watched this happen an episode or two ago

There's a reason TFS scored Goku's arrival to Namek with Hulk Hogan's theme.

Also, that clip is funny knowing WWF is the only one of those that still exists. Even if it's WWE now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There's a reason TFS scored Goku's arrival to Namek with Hulk Hogan's theme.

Also, that clip is funny knowing WWF is the only one of those that still exists. Even if it's WWE now.

It was the only one that existed at the time, too. They just decided to pretend that all the stars that they hired from these other failed companies were having a revolution or some shit.

Seda

It's pretty weird Toonami decided to air a marathon the Saturday before Halloween, but not on the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.

I suppose Intruder III and perhaps setting up the schedule for the new year are factors (like making sure Gundam finishes in 2016).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Perhaps also finishing up Jojo Part 1 since, assuming there's no marathon on Dec. 17th, that would be Part 1's final episode.

Jarate

Banned
I hate AI partners in hunting games

In fact, I generally despise uncontrollable CPU partners in any type of RPG. It's one of the things I hated about FF12 and also Mass Effect

While it's still on my mind, did 4Kids ever complete their dub of Ultimate Muscle & did it ever get picked up by someone else, perhaps got a redub or uncut version? I don't recall watching much of it (I think a few of the first episodes, but then grew tired of it & its humor), aside from it was on Fox Box or 4Kids TV or whatever Fox was calling their Saturday morning block.

Not only did 4Kids dub all of Ultimate Muscle, but they actually ordered more episodes of the anime after it was canceled in Japan. Although, Japanese fans were upset that this resulted in all kanji being removed from the characters' masks, so 4Kids wouldn't have to bother editing it out. There wasn't another dub.

(Also, avatar change)

Mizerman

Not only did 4Kids dub all of Ultimate Muscle, but they actually ordered more episodes of the anime after it was canceled in Japan. Although, Japanese fans were upset that this resulted in all kanji being removed from the characters' masks, so 4Kids wouldn't have to bother editing it out. There wasn't another dub.

(Also, avatar change)

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to Ultimate Muscle on 4Kids. It was on for a good while, then up and disappeared.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is a pretty good sale if you've been wanting to buy Jojo's and HxH manga. http://www.rightstufanime.com/holida...948a-210870821
Damn, if I JUST didn't order two books & was tempted by a 30% off any item B&N item, I probably would've given in & gotten the Part 2 bundle.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Viz to confirm the Blu-Ray versions of Jojo Part 1+2 & Part 3.

Edit: I doubt it'll happen now, but I wish I could find a sale on the Black Lagoon manga since I still need to buy volumes 1, 2, & 10. 3 through 9 have been sitting on my shelf for over a year now & I haven't touched them since I don't like reading out of order.

bigkrev

All seriousness, it just seems like a weird connection to me when I see wrestling as American (though I do recall it exists in Japan) & anime being Japanese. But I guess there do exist wrestling anime (Ultimate Muscle for example) & manga. I just don't associate the two together. Maybe it was just because they used Naruto & not an...ya know....wrestling anime....but then again, the only other that comes to mind is Wanna Be the Strongest in the World....which obviously wouldn't work well for marketing due to its content & lack of popularity)

For some reason, I'm more easily accepting that wrestling & video game fans can overlap considering all the wrestling games that've been released over the years.

& obviously, cartoons are made for different age groups. Hell, DBZ was originally aimed at kids, despite some changes to tone the violence down for the US demographic.

In the 70s/80s/90s (until WCW got super hot in 97), Japan was the top country in the world for wrestling. It took a lot of money from the WWF to keep Hogan from returning to Japan because he made so much money over there.

Wrestling is currently in a down period popularity-wise in Japan- they are down to one healthy big promotion now (NJPW) when they had 3 healthy ones a decade ago, the TV situation sucks (like anime, it's on at like 1 in the morning), and he have a big star power issue- of the 3 biggest native Japanese wrestlers, one is riddled with injuries and in his 40s, one left this year for WWE, but at least the last one is young, charismatic and a great worker.

AOH9N2t.jpg

Bring RWBY to Toonami!

So anothee defending piece about kill la kill that I agree with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM

Is "the show gets bad the longer it goes on" not a common argument or is the video just kinda ignoring that? One of the common issues I've seen cited with Kill la Kill in regard to its possible budget/time constraints (and one that I've said myself) is that its visual flair dries up toward the back half of the show, as it very noticeably starts to rely more and more on that limited animation style to the point where its novelty wears off. The idea that this is related to a lack of money or a lack of time doesn't seem all that hard to buy, either, when Imaishi used it far more sparingly in something like Gurren Lagann and, again, it starts to take over the longer the show goes on in a pretty similar way to how other shows just outright deteriorate in animation quality sometimes because the early episodes took precedence.

It seems weird to not address this at all in a defense of Kill la Kill's animation when I'm definitely not the first person to say any of these things (in a video that overwhelmingly uses clips from earlier episodes of Kill la Kill, in fact).

So I've been making my way through the MCU shows on Netflix. Just started watching Luke Cage tonight, during my lunch break at work. The OST is the GOAT so far.

Is "the show gets bad the longer it goes on" not a common argument or is the video just kinda ignoring that? One of the common issues I've seen cited with Kill la Kill in regard to its possible budget/time constraints (and one that I've said myself) is that its visual flair dries up toward the back half of the show, as it very noticeably starts to rely more and more on that limited animation style to the point where its novelty wears off. The idea that this is related to a lack of money or a lack of time doesn't seem all that hard to buy, either, when Imaishi used it far more sparingly in something like Gurren Lagann and, again, it starts to take over the longer the show goes on in a pretty similar way to how other shows just outright deteriorate in animation quality sometimes because the early episodes took precedence.

It seems weird to not address this at all in a defense of Kill la Kill's animation when I'm definitely not the first person to say any of these things (in a video that overwhelmingly uses clips from earlier episodes of Kill la Kill, in fact).

Digibro really likes Kill La Kill. It's safe to say he doesn't believe it gets bad as it goes on. Whether or not he believes the limited animation style wears off or is being used more as budget constraints is something I'm not too sure of. He's made a few videos about Kill La Kill so it might be in one of them somewhere.

He mostly likes to make positive anime videos though. Which is ironic because one of his most famous videos was his one hour diatribe about why Sword Art Online sucks major donkey dick and is the worst show he's ever seen to completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uON7ANNOi4

He mostly likes to make positive anime videos though. Which is ironic because one of his most famous videos was his one hour diatribe about why Sword Art Online sucks major donkey dick and is the worst show he's ever seen to completion.

And his series of videos of Asterisk Wars sucking. Though that also had more commentary on A-1 Pictures and the anime industries lazy trend when it comes to Light Novel adapations.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Digibro really likes Kill La Kill. It's safe to say he doesn't believe it gets bad as it goes on. Whether or not he believes the limited animation style wears off or is being used more as budget constraints is something I'm not too sure of. He's made a few videos about Kill La Kill so it might be in one of them somewhere.

But Sword Art Online does suck major donkey dick. The best thing you can say about it is that it makes a pretty good hate watch.

Also since you all asked for my opinion, Kill la Kill isn't that great, even though Mako and her family are phenomenal.

cntr

Banned
Kill la Kill is a goofy entertaining show, but I wouldn't call it "great", at least not in the same way something like Gurren Lagann is great.

Code:
Show				Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
DRAGON BALL Z KAI		ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	1,250			0.5
JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE		ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	964			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		795			0.3
HUNTER X HUNTER			ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		709			0.3
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN		ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		637			0.3

So, uh, when do we start getting concerned about JoJo?

Raxus

Is Metatron going to have to post that JoJo is doing fine every week?

Maybe he should just do it preemptively.

The only show that tanked in the 12:30 slot I remember was GXP. Every other show did fine with a handful of exceptions (most notably OPM).
The new injoke is to replace Jojo with modern Fairly Odd Parents
Spongebob when Demarco?

So anothee defending piece about kill la kill that I agree with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM

I agree with that analysis. Kill la Kill has some of the most energetic, funny and creative uses of composition and movement I've seen in recent anime.
I'm a man who loves my sakuga, but a lot of fight sakuga start to blend together and you start to notice similar fighting moves, stances, strikes, etc.

Code:
Show				Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
DRAGON BALL Z KAI		ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	1,250			0.5
JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE		ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	964			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		795			0.3
HUNTER X HUNTER			ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		709			0.3
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN		ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		637			0.3

So, uh, when do we start getting concerned about JoJo?

I wouldn't be concerned. Everything is down across the block. It's been like that for a few weeks.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This joke wasn't funny the first time WHY WOULD IT BE FUNNY 500 MORE TIMES?!
Sorry, Man God, I don't mean to be rude, but I kind of have to agree.

Also PSN Black Friday sale is alright. Planning on Jojo Eyes of Heaven for $24, debating Digimon Cyber Sleuth since I can borrow the PS4 version from my friend but the Vita version is rather cheap ($12 + 10% off via coupon), but probably will wait & see if they do a flash sale this weekend.

.........man, why do I keep trying to add RPGs to my backlog.....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aren't ratings usually lower across the board during winter holidays?
Pretty much, especially in December. That's kind of why I'm surprised they're not doing a marathon during Thanksgiving weekend, since most people might still be out of town & such. But they could also be skipping on doing a marathon this week in order to finish IBO & Jojo Part 1 this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom