• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Started listening to the podcast, the show you guys were talking about at the beginning was that awful World Peace show we'd get advertisements for. I remember OT had a thread about it.

giphy.gif

Hey guys i'm a little buzzed but I think this is a quality thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319363

*looks at OP*

Neogaf attracts all types.

Pokemon Sun and Moon gives you a lot of Pokemon variety on the first three roads. That's a good thing in my book.

Pokemon Gold and Silver may be loved, but sweet jebus do those games limit your team options early on. It feels like those games don't open up till you beat the fourth gym.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The more I hear of Sun & Moon, the more appealing it sounds because it seems like they fixed a ton of stuff that kept me away from the series after Silver/Gold/Crystal, but then I think about how there's now over, what, 800 damn Pokemon now, not counting variations? To me, that just sounds like too much variety.

At least with the original 150, a good amount were evolutions, so it didn't seem as daunting in comparison to now. Especially since it seems to add even more Eevee evolutions every other gen.

cntr

Banned
The selection of Pokémon you can initially get is limited for that reason, yeah? Like how you couldn't catch most of the RBY Pokémon in GSC until you pretty much beat the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Then what's the point in getting the Pokemon later on if I've already caught & leveled up the ones I already have unless they're the legendaries or the top tier?

I'n having this same issue in World of FF, in that the set up I have now is doing fine, meaning I have no desire to swap & try to level up the other monsters I can get when my current team is doing perfectly fine. Dominant Strategy, I think?

I just remember in Blue, I got my starter Charmander to a LV 99 Charizard, so there was no point in using anyone else because he could wreck EVERYONE. But maybe they better balance the game now in order for you to try & experiment. Just remember that the last main Pokemon games I played were Silver/Gold/Crystal when I was 9 or 10, so I have little knowledge as to how the games have changes aside from "there's more of them & more types", so my thoughts on it might not apply to the newer games.

cntr

Banned
Well, it depends on personal taste, but yeah there isn't much point to doing it other than collection

It's kind of hard to explain but like, Pokemon isn't a collection game anymore, it's a roleplaying game in the sense of roleplaying. It's not like a JRPG where you're supposed to get the most powerful equipment, you choose Pokemon because you like those Pokemon. It's like you're going on an adventure with of a bunch weird pets who barf fire and make meteors fall from the sky and it doesn't really matter if they aren't the best options, they're cool and great

that isn't for everyone, but it is for me and so I think the current games are fabulous

Since this is a Toonami thread, and it's OT, I'm curious: why do most people say "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004" or thereabouts?

The CN City era began in 2004, and it's widely considered their best and most creative era. So how could CN die in the year where their second greatest era (next to the late 90s/early 2000s one) began? Sure, a lot of the 90s Cartoon Cartoons got canned, but at least there were still reruns all the way up till 07. And there were amazing new shows to tide us over like Hi Hi puffy ami yumi, Code Lyoko, Juniper lee, Class of 3000, Ozzy and Drix, and Camp Lazlo.

If anything, I'd peg it as "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007". After the Boston bomb scare incident in February 07, the infamous Stuart Snyder took over as president. CN City ended, the beloved Fridays block was replaced with the poor Fried Dynamite, Out of Jimmy's Head premiered, horrific new shows like Chowder and Flapjack came in, etc.

dan2026

Forgive my ignorance here, but why is all the Toonami stuff put on so late at night?

Lots of people worrying about tv ratings.
But surely the amount of people tuning in after midnight to watch dubbed anime is never going to be high.

Forgive my ignorance here, but why is all the Toonami stuff put on so late at night?

But surely the amount of people tuning in after midnight to watch dubbed anime is never going to be high.

Basically its this or nothing, AS could probably make more money just rerunning family guy and other old comedy shows but they want to let dubbed anime happen on TV.

bigkrev

Because reruns of Family Guy do amazing ratings, and we don't want Adult Swim thinking they could kill this block and do better numbers with reruns

Since this is a Toonami thread, and it's OT, I'm curious: why do most people say "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004" or thereabouts?

The CN City era began in 2004, and it's widely considered their best and most creative era. So how could CN die in the year where their second greatest era (next to the late 90s/early 2000s one) began? Sure, a lot of the 90s Cartoon Cartoons got canned, but at least there were still reruns all the way up till 07. And there were amazing new shows to tide us over like Hi Hi puffy ami yumi, Code Lyoko, Juniper lee, Class of 3000, Ozzy and Drix, and Camp Lazlo.

If anything, I'd peg it as "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007". After the Boston bomb scare incident in February 07, the infamous Stuart Snyder took over as president. CN City ended, the beloved Fridays block was replaced with the poor Fried Dynamite, Out of Jimmy's Head premiered, horrific new shows like Chowder and Flapjack came in, etc.

Basically just the Cartoon Cartoons getting canned. None of the ones you listed are held up as classics like the others (Ozzy and Drix were reruns from kids WB btw), except for OG Teen Titans and Foster's. Plus, Toonami was definitely declining around this time, moving to Saturdays and getting replaced by Miguzi.

But yes, you're right that the post Boston panic era was far worse (although I look back at Chowder and Flapjack more fondly now, especially flapjack).

Shares MIGHT BE my favorite part of that show. Aside from the music of course

The music was definitely on point. But i think what frustrated me was there was two specific scenes, one with Shades and one with Diamondback that completely broke my Suspension of Disbelief and I was like "No, just no you should be fucking dead right now."

That was more or less the end of the Hanna-Barbera --> Cartoon Cartoon era of Cartoon Network.

Jarate

Banned

The shows you listed as amazing are generally pretty poorly received, while the shows you listed as horrible have been really well received

In fact, calling Code Lyoko amazing is one of the worst things ever stated on this forum.

Seda

The ratings when OPM was airing a few weeks/months ago were probably the best they've been. They historically tend to dip in November but last year was an odd exception, probably thanks to Intruder 2.

They tried to replicate that with Intruder 3 but the novelty isn't fresh this time.

Also I'm not surprised Jojo isn't as much of a draw as OPM, despite how positive the reception is in this specific thread.

You can show the average anime fan clips of One Punch Man, and they'll probably want to watch it.

Jojo, especially early Jojo, is a bit harder of a sell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"HEY DUDE, WANNA SEE A GUY GET THE SHIT BEATEN OUT OF HIM?!?"

e30c8_anime_gifs_t3lVRXo.gif

& that's how I sold my friend on Jojo.....oh and also a famous moment later on in Part 3 but spoilers.

Moaradin

Part 3 probably has a bit more appeal over here than the first two parts, even though its a bit slow.

All I know is America better be down with JoJo by then so we get part 4.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh

uh

spoilers

shonen has hero punching bad person of the week

Also, when's Amazon gonna do their sales? PSN flash sale was meh aside from Pac-Man CE 2 & I was able to get FFX/X2 HD last night from Target so now I don't have to deal with Walmart later today.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Part 3 probably has a bit more appeal over here than the first two parts, even though its a bit slow.

All I know is America better be down with JoJo by then so we get part 4.

Breakdown Breakdown
Drop that shit back

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Too bad Part 4 probably won't air until 2019. & that's assuming we get Part 3 next year, let alone in 2018.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for them to confirm what IBO's replacement will be considering we've only got a few episodes left. If it does turn out to be MP100 (plz don't get my hopes up), then the start of the new year will be pretty amazing.

Moaradin

Too bad Part 4 probably won't air until 2019. & that's assuming we get Part 3 next year, let alone in 2018.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for them to confirm what IBO's replacement will be considering we've only got a few episodes left. If it does turn out to be MP100 (plz don't get my hopes up), then the start of the new year will be pretty amazing.

If it is mob psycho (which seems likely considering how quiet funimation has been on it) then we'll easily have the best line up in toonami history.

Regiruler

The shows you listed as amazing are generally pretty poorly received, while the shows you listed as horrible have been really well received

In fact, calling Code Lyoko amazing is one of the worst things ever stated on this forum.
Are you calling Code Lyoko bad?

Seda

December 17 is the interesting date. Gundam will have just finished. Will Toonami run a marathon (which would mean probably 3 marathons in a row), will they air the first episode of a new show before the holidays? If they do a rare double-up, it couldn't be DBZ because it's the last (known) episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dec. 17th would also mean the end of Part 1, & then I would assume Xmas would be a Jojo marathon of episodes 3 through 9.

If anything, feels like the Halloween marathon should've been Dec. 17th, then have done a marathon of the last set of IBO episodes.

Moaradin

December 17 is the interesting date. Gundam will have just finished. Will Toonami run a marathon (which would mean probably 3 marathons in a row), will they air the first episode of a new show before the holidays? If they do a rare double-up, it couldn't be DBZ because it's the last (known) episode.

They could still double up on DBZ if we get Buu kai with no fanfare.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sentai has Azumanga Daioh for $20 with the original ADV dub....hmmmm....

also, I learned they have the rights to Eyeshield 21. Wonder who had the rights before.

& why are we still selling anime in "collections", i.e. splitting the episodes up, when it's only 24ish episodes long in 2016? I get it, they're technically "seasons", but come on, don't make me spend $30+ for 12 episodes, meaning it's $60+ total to own the entire series. If you're 50+ episodes long, that I get. But it just feels annoying in comparison to buying TV series in the US. Reminds me when they sold FLCL for $30 for TWO EPISODES EACH....or maybe things are actually better now & I just don't buy enough anime to appreciate the pricing.

Edit: I guess in fairness, the quality of the show matters as well, so one person might think it's a good deal since they like it. But still. It'd be like if they split up S1 of Jojo so you had to buy Part 1 & Part 2 separately.

Edit 2: & I'm sure part of the pricing is to cover the cost of dubbing it, before that argument is brought. I just want a "complete series" option offered, that's all.

bigkrev

Guys I think I'm dying

I ate the world's largest piece of chocolate cake and the ate a bunch of apple cider donuts and then chased it all with ginger beer

If I don't make it, know that I loved everyone

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Azumanga Daioh is the first anime I bought by release to completion. Without my employee discount the volumes were going for around 28 bucks. They all included liner notes and a pin, all of which I still have.

I bought plenty of VHS anime, most notably a friend and I were buying the VHS DBZ uncut before that shit aired on TOONAMI, but we never even came close to having the whole set.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember having a bunch of Pokemon VHS tapes, but you only got 4 episodes each. Want to say I had over 10, maybe around 15 of them. Of course, I didn't pay for them so I don't remember the cost.

Funny enough, that's when I remember discovering DVDs for the first time, because I grabbed a copy noticing it was a new release, but then didn't realize the difference.

Regiruler

Guys I think I'm dying

I ate the world's largest piece of chocolate cake and the ate a bunch of apple cider donuts and then chased it all with ginger beer

If I don't make it, know that I loved everyone

Apple cider donuts is not a bad way to go.

Honestly sounds better than the apple pie I had for desert. I could have really gone for some pecan pie myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom