• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
cMylWR4.jpg

Im pretty sure I posted this before, but fuck it

You see, this would've been better if you had Corey in the House across from Kenan and Kel in the "Now" section.

last year's ratings for reference

RDJegal.png

I think this also proves Freeza Saga > Cell Saga

Asterisk War feels like it came about by a man watching literally all the terrible school battle harem shows, and saying, fuck it, I can do worse. The male lead of Asterisk War makes Kirito seem like a well rounded character. You thought the harem hijinks in SAO were bad? The harem in Asterisk War revolves around head petting. Annoyed by how poorly contrived the world of SAO was? I don't know if I can even say Asterisk War has world building.

I don't think I need to remind anyone, but it's 2016 people.

We can always go lower.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Akame Ga Kill!, Parasyte: The Maxim, Michiko and Hatchin, and Kill la Kill are better than Jim Jam's, Gundam IBO, Hunter x Hunter, and One Punch Man.

Regiruler

The recording seems to be what I feared: it started an hour into the movie.

God just couldn't let me have a good day today.

It's not on adult swim's website perchance, is it?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Code:
Show				Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
DRAGON BALL Z KAI		ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	1,250			0.5
JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE		ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	964			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		795			0.3
HUNTER X HUNTER			ADULT SWIM	1:30 AM		709			0.3
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN		ADULT SWIM	2:00 AM		637			0.3

So, uh, when do we start getting concerned about JoJo?

Seems like the Cell Saga outstaying its welcome is the problem here more than anything else. DBZ's ratings have been depressed by a couple hundred thousand from its previous highs for a while now, and this one only managed to pull in a 0.5, which is pretty low compared ti what it had been drawing. Barring random anomalies (and they do sometimes happen), a late night block like Toonami is going to basically be capped by whatever its lead off show is. The viewership for the rest of the block is increasingly subject to attrition from there. If the lead isn't pulling strong numbers, it doesn't matter how good anything behind it in the lineup is. ASA had this problem all the time, too. These are still solid numbers for DBZ, though, of course, just not quite what it used to be doing.

I also think Intruder isn't really much of a draw, and if anything it may have hurt the packaging for the block in general this time around. Last year it was kind of a nostalgic thing and pretty interesting and exciting since Toonami hadn't done that sort of thing in a very very long time, so it brought in viewers. This year, well, we just did it last year, so all it is is a mediocre little microseries with dubious CG that's taking up absolutely all of the marketing for the block. It's the Rogue One to last year's Force Awakens. Because of Intruder, little else other than Jojo has gotten much of any hype in quite a long time, and even Jojo became "just another show" the second it debuted. There was a lineup promo for literally one week in October, and there was a Titanfall tie-in one night, but that's been basically it for promotion of anything that isn't either Jojo's debut or Intruder III (or Children Who Chase Lost Voices) over the past 2 months or so. Probably can't be helping.

Unfortunately, between the continuing Intruder III and the general distraction of the holiday season, we won't really see any kind of return to normalcy until January, at which point we'll have at least one new show on the block (maybe more) and Jojo already into Battle Tendency. Which also means it's probably not worth getting terribly concerned about the ratings right now or really any time soon.

Moaradin

Just finished Wonderful 101. Holy crap this is how you do escalation. I'm a big platinum fan in general and this is probably my favorite by far, and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time now. I really regret not finishing it years ago but I'm glad I finally got back around to it.

The final few hours are some of the most hype shit ever

Jarate

Banned
I think Kai has definitely outstayed its welcome a bit. I think the Cell Saga is a strong saga for DBZ OG, but Manga Cell Saga, and by extension Kai Cell Saga is really mediocre.

I also think Super getting a dub announcement hurt ratings as well.

I will say this though, demographics still look fine, and you should expect lower ratings due to cable cutters, as well as general depression from the election.

Line_HTX

Randomly came across this on Twitter today. I forgot she existed, lol

Cx9tjVJWQAAti0k.jpg

EDIT: And I liked that a lot of you seemed so certain that Jojo would never fall under 1 million ever.

Regiruler

Just finished Wonderful 101. Holy crap this is how you do escalation. I'm a big platinum fan in general and this is probably my favorite by far, and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time now. I really regret not finishing it years ago but I'm glad I finally got back around to it.

latest

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

It need a Switch port so more people can experience it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, I need to finish W101. Also, finally gave in & got an USB stick in order to redownload Tropical Freeze so I can finish that eventually & put Wind Waker HD back on my system.

Also, I have to remind myself to be careful with what I get over the next few days for Black Friday. Amazon hasn't even posted a calendar yet of their deals, yet I expect to get one or two games from them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
In regards to rating I think they are also suffering from a lack of diversity because god damn we have five Shonen Jump programs running almost concurrently. Yea, last year crop of shows had some quality issues but you could say they were pretty different where we have just so much battle shonen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TOONAMI ON SATURDAY.

One of the best episodes of DBZ. A really great episode of One Piece. Itachi Middle Finger gif. Good HxH stuff. Jojo will be silly. IBO won't be dort. Bleach might be back.

I just finished Luke Cage. Pretty solid overall. I definitely preferred it to Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2. But damn was Diamondback such a letdown villain after the first half.

The Shades guy was also a blatant Villain-Sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom