• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

q8m0iG8.jpg

Episode 32 "Sharingan Tank"
In this episode Grexeno, Seda, B-Dubs, and Raxus discuss the Adult Swim controversy, block speculation, Gohan's rage, Jojo's history lesson, endless IBO problems, Nen, Uchiha Shippuden, Toei episode titles, and B-Dub's cat attacks.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode032.mp3
Video:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode032.mp4

Timecodes:
0:01:12 News
0:16:49 DBZ
0:28:25 Jojo
0:40:18 IBO
1:10:18 HxH
1:20:05 Shippuden
1:32:12 One Piece
1:43:15 Sign Offs

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Editor notes:
Yeah, you guys are spending waaay too much time rehashing IBO's broken plot issues at this point. I get that it's an ongoing issue but you spent over twenty minutes on it. Grex should probably step in and move the discussion along if it happens again. It did result in some nice elevator music, however.

Seda

I'll take some blame for the IBO discussion dragging on. I find the show strangly interesting! Even if it misses more often than not.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, I still kind of like IBO. Yeah the plot is silly, but the characters are interesting. Especially Mika! He's super interesting because he's crazy, not a complete sociopath like other Gundam stoic protagonists are.

And I really like Barbatos's design, and the focus on melee over beamspam makes the battles cool.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't dislike IBO (not to mention it's been finally picking back up the last few episodes), but it might win "biggest disappointment" of the year.

..............well, that or Dimension W, which I still forget aired this year (Feb to May), though that has a high chance of winning worst show of the year.

Edit: omg, IBO was DW's replacement, how the hell did I forget about that.

I came to the conclusion on the Show Rundown this week that Gundam Seed is an overall more successful, competent, and watchable show than IBO. And I don't like Gundam Seed.

Seda

I'm trying to remember the villain, conflict, and general resolution for DW and I'm struggling. There were, like, a laboratory, magic mcguffins...somebody died...main dude lost his memories

Yeah I give up.

Seda

What was Dimension W's premise?

From memory:

Company taps into the 4th dimension to provide an unlimited amount of power (electricity etc) to the world with tech called Coils, turns out they had some skeletons in the closet. MC is a sort of bounty hunter looking for people using unregulated Coils, stumbles across an Android girl with ties to the company's past.

The actual plot from there is mostly nonsense.

Regiruler

I'm trying to remember the villain, conflict, and general resolution for DW and I'm struggling. There were, like, a laboratory, magic mcguffins...somebody died...main dude lost his memories

Yeah I give up.
It basically stole most of its plot elements from Yugioh Zexal.

Loser was cool though.

cntr

Banned
The fourth dimension? For energy?

I'm just going to stick to sane power sources like the Shizuma Drive thanks

edit: Shit jokes aside, why have such a complicated backstory? Is the fourth dimension stuff actually relevant?

So, since I had time to kill yesterday I watched the entirety of the Stardust Crusaders OVA.

I definitely preferred the original 6 episodes over the 7 new ones they later made.

bigkrev

Anyone go shopping today or (gulp) had to work today? Any fun stories?

I did basically everything online today, but walked into gamestop to buy Doom, Witcher and Telltale Batman for my brother with a gift card he had. I witnessed a used WiiU being sold to a person which struck me as crazier than any fight over Tickle me Elmos i've ever seen online

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Even with its problems, Gundam is a lot more memorable. There's some genuinely good things about the show.

IBO is that show I desperately want to like because I like so many things about how it's set up and what it does, but I can't because it also does so many thing wrong and doesn't even realize it.

It's one of those shows, like SAO, that has the potential to be actually good but is just incapable of getting enough of it's shit together to pull it off. That said IBO comes far closer to being good than SAO does.

Though not as close as Naruto does, Naruto gets almost everything right. The issue there is that what it gets wrong is so blatant and painful that it almost negates everything else it does right. If all of Naruto was like the next two cannon arcs the whole way through then it'd be amazing.

Moaradin

Even after Naruto goes to shit, there's still individual parts that I like a lot. And as much as we like to give it shit, I think the anime actually nailed the ending. The last few episodes are the best in the series IMO.

But yeah I wish it was a lot more consistent.

Jarate

Banned
Naruto is just a bad show with like 3/4 good characters out of an army of bad ones. Kishi is just a bad writer, as most of the substance of Naruto comes from his art (which is still not as good as a lot of other shonen artists tbh)
I'll take IBO any day of the week over Naruto. Orca, Pikazuki, Bisquick (his name is too ridiculous to pun up) and sometimes Codellia are decent to good characters. IBO problem is it seems like a 13 episode series transformed into something much larger, and it really struggles with that.

Naruto is the ultimate example of lowered expectations, it's so bad at certain points that when people get mediocre to good stuff, they freak out over it. It's like the DUFF of anime.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
From memory:

Company taps into the 4th dimension to provide an unlimited amount of power (electricity etc) to the world with tech called Coils, turns out they had some skeletons in the closet. MC is a sort of bounty hunter looking for people using unregulated Coils, stumbles across an Android girl with ties to the company's past.

The actual plot from there is mostly nonsense.

It kinda felt like they were slowly building up to something, and then went "oh shit we only have three episodes left" and threw every idea they had onto the screen.

I was actually really excited for Dimension W after the first couple of episodes, but it ended up being kind of bad.

Jarate

Banned
It kinda felt like they were slowly building up to something, and then went "oh shit we only have three episodes left" and threw every idea they had onto the screen.

I was actually really excited for Dimension W after the first couple of episodes, but it ended up being kind of bad.

The pacing issues were because they basically fit a fairly long manga series into 13 episodes. It was doomed to fail before it even began.

It also had one of the most boring MC's in the history of anime. This guy made Kenshiro seem like a bundle of energy.

Line_HTX

DW should definitely get most disappointing even more than IBO. I'm like Seda, I still like IBO even though I get frustrated by it at times, but I'm not so down on the show like everyone else that I can't enjoy it.

IBO is at least more entertaining than DW by a long stretch.

Mizerman

It didn't help that they condensed material from the manga that was still ongoing and the pacing suffered.

It's somewhat telling that one of the only things I remember about DW (aside from it being a utter disappoint that squandered its potential) is the towel fanservice scene with Mira.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I am hearing on Twitter that a Toonami announcement of some sort is happening today, most likely on Pre-Flight.

That is possible as there are many things to announce, the DBZ Kai replacement is one, Gundam replacement is another, and the Xmas marathons.

What makes you think this will ever happen? I doubt they would ever get rid of DBZ now since their newest show, Jojo, isn't hitting consistent Million numbers (But still doing very, very good).

Regiruler

The pacing issues were because they basically fit a fairly long manga series into 13 episodes. It was doomed to fail before it even began.

It also had one of the most boring MC's in the history of anime. This guy made Kenshiro seem like a bundle of energy.

I liked the MC as long as he was fighting and not talking. That throwing knife style was fun to watch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What makes you think this will ever happen? I doubt they would ever get rid of DBZ now since their newest show, Jojo, isn't hitting consistent Million numbers (But still doing very, very good).

DBZ gets replaced with more Dragonball, the big question is do we get Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (The actual name for this) or do we get Dragonball Super?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did anyone have expectations for DW for it to actually be most disappointing?
Wasn't DW the show that Funimation themselves helped make possible (they were part of the anime's committee or something)? As in, "yes, this is a show we believe in, we think this will be popular, we want this to be our next dub premiere only a few weeks behind the JPN airings"

Wasn't the last show that Funimation had a big part in freakin' SPACE DANDY?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wasn't DW the show that Funimation themselves helped make possible (they were part of the anime's committee or something)? As in, "yes, this is a show we believe in, we think this will be popular, we want this to be our next dub premiere only a few weeks behind the JPN airings"

Wasn't the last show that Funimation had a big part in freakin' SPACE DANDY?

FUNimation was just the point man on Space Dandy as it was Cartoon Network who put money into that production. You are correct on Dimension W though as FUNimation sunk in its own capital and was on the production committee and thus pushed it onto Toonami.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait, the announcement is happening on Dec. 16th.....

.......IBO is ending Dec. 17th...................

.............OOOHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD

it's just a coincidence....

BBboy20

Gainax is relevant again?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm thankful for the waifus and imoutos

And Zonic ruining one of the best payoffs in Part 3. Smh
We've been spoiled to ORAORAORA for 3 years now, at least.

Even after Naruto goes to shit, there's still individual parts that I like a lot. And as much as we like to give it shit, I think the anime actually nailed the ending. The last few episodes are the best in the series IMO.

But yeah I wish it was a lot more consistent.
I've watched the ending via Ninja Storm 4, fuck that resolution.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gainax is relevant again?

We've been spoiled to ORAORAORA for 3 years now, at least.

I've watched the ending via Ninja Storm 4, fuck that resolution.
Ninja storm def doesn't do it justice, everything is so abridged in that version not to mention censored, also dat beautiful animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom