• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
eecqHKv.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not even sure what Toonami could be doing that's so amazing at this point. Pretty much all the holy grails are already here.

DBZ is here. Naruto is here. One Piece is here. One Punch Man is here. Hunter X Hunter is here. JoJo is here. They even managed to get a Gundam back on the air. Gurren Lagann was already here. Kill la Kill was here. Evangelion has been here (sorta). Cowboy Bebop has been here. Samurai Champloo came back. Inuyasha finally got to finish after all these years. Soul Eater was here. Hellsing was here. Black Lagoon was here. Bleach finished its anime run after over a decade on the block. Even Sword Art Online was here. Space Dandy had world premieres here. Samurai Jack is about to get new episodes for the first time in well over a decade. We had another Intruder event, and we're about to get yet another one in a few weeks. FLCL inexplicably has 12 more episodes coming.

Like, where else is there to go from here? Big O III? Berserk (somehow)?

Big O season 3 would be amazing. We should have gotten it over a decade ago.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Off the top of my head, the only shows I can see being requested that would be considered "big" are My Hero Academia, Escaflowne, Fairy Tail (plz no), & I guess Psycho Pass &/or Tokyo Ghoul. I'd say Sailor Moon but Crystal doesn't seem to have a great reputation.

It's more a matter of time for future seasons of stuff like AoT, Jojo, SAO, OPM, etc.

That's why I'm curious as to what the new top 5 most requested shows will be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fairy Tail is the answer.

Either that or it could be as simple as Samurai Jack/FLCL 2 previews looking great.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, Space Dandy actually coming back

why won't season 2 return at least once? :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The HxH one I kinda remembered about an hour before the show came on. I ask myself is this one of the rare instances of fan service in the series? Yes, yes it is.

I won't pretend traditional anime fanservice and manservice are the same, but with Jojo coming, Toonami is really stocking up on the latter.

Crocodile

I'm not even sure what Toonami could be doing that's so amazing at this point. Pretty much all the holy grails are already here.

DBZ is here. Naruto is here. One Piece is here. One Punch Man is here. Hunter X Hunter is here. JoJo is here. They even managed to get a Gundam back on the air. Gurren Lagann was already here. Kill la Kill was here. Evangelion has been here (sorta). Cowboy Bebop has been here. Samurai Champloo came back. Inuyasha finally got to finish after all these years. Soul Eater was here. Hellsing was here. Black Lagoon was here. Bleach finished its anime run after over a decade on the block. Even Sword Art Online was here. Space Dandy had world premieres here. Samurai Jack is about to get new episodes for the first time in well over a decade. We had another Intruder event, and we're about to get yet another one in a few weeks. FLCL inexplicably has 12 more episodes coming.

As you kind of arrive to at the end, you have to think less about what is already out there and more about what could exist. FLCL 2 was a "lol u cray cray" suggestion a year ago. If Toonami continues to do well, I don't think a new original series ala IGPX (either by Western or Japanese studios) is off the table. Hopefully its actually good this time :p

Line_HTX

Well done, SAB CA. Throw the debris into the garbage can. I love the Metal Gear comm screen, haha. Yes, the whole thing was incredibly stupid, and it was the same as Akihiro's emo brother, but for some reason I feel that the Debris subplot was even stupider than this episode of Fumitan getting sniped. I can't seem to figure out why.

New Berserk with the original dub cast?

Hell, I would so love to have a Big O III with a brand new plotline now that the theatrics and light shows are over and Alex Rosewater's stage is gone for good.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I just caught up on this deep Intruder lore.

So the weird face TOM was a different one entirely?

Yeah.

It started with this little video they played back in 2012. Confirming that TOM 3.0/3.5 and 4.0 are two different robots.
That transmission alerted the Intruder to TOM 4.0's location, and he killed him.
Then he went after the newly upgraded TOM 5.0.

But it sounds like he'll be back as Intruder 3 is in the works.

Mizerman

I would love that.

A reboot of ReBoot?

The correct answer is Full Metal Panic Season 4

That actually not the answer, I'm just one of those weirdos that's been waiting for FMP! S4 for a decade

Big by Toonami standards simply due to the potential ratings they could bring

Simuldub of Attack on Titan season 2 and/or One Punch Man Season 2
Bleach Toonami Funded final arc anime
Dragon Ball Z kai Buu Saga/Super considering both of those dubbed are mia
Escaflowne with the new dub considering it's a show they always wanted to air
An original show made for Toonami like IGPX

If I had to guess I'd assume Buu Kai and AoT S2 heck the latter could give Toonami back the 11:30 slot for it's run time. I know we always talk about the lack of possible show acquisitions due to the majority of the slots being taken up by long running shows but there is always the possibility of a show being big enough that AS would give them an extra half hour to air it. Heck they could also push back Shippuden and OP and put something in-between, or drop the rerun slot entirely for another premier.

Crocodile

Question to the Thread:

Would Adult Swim funding an anime adaptation of the last arc of Bleach be worth it? The feeling I got was that the manga ending of Bleach went over like a wet fart in the West. There's no question its popularity has declined. Considering how expensive funding a 26/52 episode season would be, does Bleach still have the star power to draw in enough viewership to be worth the cost? I mean the answer might be yes and I get the sense it would be hard to prove either way but it certainly feels less "obvious" than it was one or two years ago.

Grexeno

Question to the Thread:

Would Adult Swim funding an anime adaptation of the last arc of Bleach be worth it? The feeling I got was that the manga ending of Bleach went over like a wet fart in the West. There's no question its popularity has declined. Considering how expensive funding a 26/52 episode season would be, does Bleach still have the star power to draw in enough viewership to be worth the cost? I mean the answer might be yes and I get the sense it would be hard to prove either way but it certainly feels less "obvious" than it was one or two years ago.
I don't know if the audience that watched Bleach on Adult Swim follows the manga at all. I lean towards it being worth it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sketch dump-me totally enjoyed Toonami going on a bit longer and starting back at traditional 12 A.M.

What if one of the big surprises is another season of Space Dandy!?

AS LONG AS IT'S NEVER DENIED, THE DREAM IS ALWAYS ALIVE!

As you kind of arrive to at the end, you have to think less about what is already out there and more about what could exist. FLCL 2 was a "lol u cray cray" suggestion a year ago. If Toonami continues to do well, I don't think a new original series ala IGPX (either by Western or Japanese studios) is off the table. Hopefully its actually good this time :p

Space Dandy almost feels like an original series for Toonami, especially with our Dub B4 Native Language premieres. I might actually like the Dandy possibilities more than the fully original series, just because it seems more likely to get Japan to produce something that's a dream project, rather than a purely tailor-made-for-the-west product, which often comes out to be less genuine.

That one got the real deal 33 FPS treatment. The 10 FPS version just doesn't flow right.

Lookin' good! Always gotta appreciate gifs that loop well too. The internet in general seems to.. not care about that, and that always irks me, ha. So props!

Well done, SAB CA. Throw the debris into the garbage can. I love the Metal Gear comm screen, haha. Yes, the whole thing was incredibly stupid, and it was the same as Akihiro's emo brother, but for some reason I feel that the Debris subplot was even stupider than this episode of Fumitan getting sniped. I can't seem to figure out why.

Thanks a lot! I'm sure I did a CODEC screen before, but it's always great fun, and fake scanlines too!

I think at least having Fumitan around for more than 1 episode before dying helps make her loss less ridiculous. That and she's been hinting at stuff for ages. Do feel bad for Kudelia though, she's not going to have a mother / big sister among the majority of our crew... I guess... at least... Merribit is there? *shrug*

New Berserk with the original dub cast?

Hell, I would so love to have a Big O III with a brand new plotline now that the theatrics and light shows are over and Alex Rosewater's stage is gone for good.

A rebooted (as in.. in universe reboot like the end of S2) story with some sensible, natural divergences would be kinda cool. The noire bend of S1 was so great, and they could tone down / shift the crazy stage and Tomato stuff depending on how our continued characters react to knowledge they possibly could remember.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When I make gifs there are two types generally.

Mini movies to highlight some part of the action.

and

Classic gifs that loop or at least appear to loop.

It really depends on what exactly I'm attempting to capture for that scene.

Question to the Thread:

For Bleach fans in general, it would be worth it.

For Toonami and Adult Swim as a whole, probably not.

An anime for the final Bleach arc would have to be 30+ episodes in order to be adapted decently.
If projects like Samurai Jack season 4 and FLCL 2 are anything to go off of, no way would Adult Swim have the budget and resources to produce a quality anime series with an appropriate episode count.

More importantly, they would need to get the cooperation of Studio Pierrot and Shueisha. That would be way more effort than its worth.

You becoming lazybones now?

I'm totally not an alt. I swear.

For Bleach fans in general, it would be worth it.

For Toonami and Adult Swim as a whole, probably not.

An anime for the final Bleach arc would have to be 30+ episodes in order to be adapted decently.
If projects like Samurai Jack season 4 and FLCL 2 are anything to go off of, no way would Adult Swim have the budget and resources to produce a quality anime series with an appropriate episode count.

More importantly, they would need to get the cooperation of Studio Pierrot and Shueisha. That would be way more effort than its worth.

I'm totally not an alt. I swear.

I feel like you have that backwards

For AS/Toonami the ratings if any length of bleach anime would make the investment worth it regardless of length. Afterall if AS ordered 13/26/52 episodes the increasing cost by the increasing length would continue to cover the cost.

For Bleach fans you can make a stronger argument it may not be worth it. Then again the two biggest reasons for the wet fart ending were the shitty pacing up to the canceled ending. In theory an anime adapation could add in "filler" to extended the final battle and nor make it a terrible rush job, and if it had a limited episode count the pacing for the fights would have to be quick which could fix that issue as well.

As I've said many times you can't really use the collective opinion of places like gaf or mal to predict how well an anime will do on Toonami. If our opinion mattered SAO wouldn't continue to do well. If you need any evidence as to how well a Bleach continuation anime would do on Toonami, think about how many times we've jokes or seen "why did you cancel Bleach" asked by people on DeMarco's reddit ama, askfm, and at conventions. Also if InuYasha TFA despite all its problems could do well many years later finishing a story the the AS crowd was already invested in why would you think a Bleach anime wouldn't do as well if not better?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like you have that backwards

For AS/Toonami the ratings if any length of bleach anime would make the investment worth it regardless of length. Afterall if AS ordered 13/26/52 episodes the increasing cost by the increasing length would continue to cover the cost.

For Bleach fans you can make a stronger argument it may not be worth it. Then again the two biggest reasons for the wet fart ending were the shitty pacing up to the canceled ending. In theory an anime adapation could add in "filler" to extended the final battle and nor make it a terrible rush job, and if it had a limited episode count the pacing for the fights would have to be quick which could fix that issue as well.

As I've said many times you can't really use the collective opinion of places like gaf or mal to predict how well an anime will do on Toonami. If our opinion mattered SAO wouldn't continue to do well. If you need any evidence as to how well a Bleach continuation anime would do on Toonami, think about how many times we've jokes or seen "why did you cancel Bleach" asked by people on DeMarco's reddit ama, askfm, and at conventions. Also if InuYasha TFA despite all its problems could do well many years later finishing a story the the AS crowd was already invested in why would you think a Bleach anime wouldn't do as well if not better?

The thing is, do they still need it? With all the new Dragonball stuff coming around, Buu then Super, they've really got no need to make an investment of that size for what would amount to a run of a year and a half.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

They still have that new sailor moon anime, I heard people say its bad but really I only hear that the animation is terrible and they fixed it in blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom