• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So two Dragon Ball series at the same time? I knew it was a possibility but I didn't expect that to be the case going forward. Going to be somewhat jarring hearing Kid Trunks and Android 18's voices changing between shows.

Not to mention the dramatic shift in art & animation. Going from 2015 animation to 1993 animation.

They will definitely use the updated version

Very much this.
Hell, they air Jojo uncensored.

Massicot

So two Dragon Ball series at the same time? I knew it was a possibility but I didn't expect that to be the case going forward. Going to be somewhat jarring hearing Kid Trunks and Android 18's voices changing between shows.

Good thing 18 and Kid Trunks are barely in Super!

And 18 is barely in Buu.

It is a very different show than Z though with a fairly large emphasis on humor.
It's extremely goofy and a lot less serious than DBZ was, and feels closer to Dragon Ball than DBZ in that regard (though it still has the insane escalating power levels of DBZ and it has its serious moments from time to time)
If you liked the original Dragonball, you'll probably like Super.

toonami starts at 12:30 with the block leading show JoJo, got it

is dbs good

Like, really, for people who's nostalgia for DBZ is there, but not really strong, for people who have watched various other fighting shonens since DBZ and have become rather bored with DBZ's transformations and beam attacks and fast punch and kick loops.

Does it stand up to "modern standards"? Is it good compared to everything else on the market, besides being connected to a nostalgic/historically important property?

Has Dragon Ball evolved since last it was being made?
I find it very watchable. Is it HxH good? No, but many things aren't.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So let's talk about something here for a moment.
The 11:30 and 12:00 slots are pretty much locked until March 2018. Samurai Jack is expected to arrive sometime in March of 2017.
Now, this brings up the question: WHERE will it air?

The only likely option is expanding the block to 11:00 for Jack.
Nobody ever announced a March start date for it. That was just the "people are saying" date.

The easiest answer is just wait a month and debut it at the end of April once Jojo ends. In fact, that's the absolute ideal time. Sweeps month starts on April 27, and the next Toonami after Jojo's finale, which would be the premiere of it replacement, is April 29.

Ray Down

Banned
Here's the tentative end dates.

One Punch Man: January 28th
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: April 22nd
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: June 3rd
DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters: March 3rd 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 9th 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Nobody knows.
Naruto Shippuden: THE COW IS DEAD PIERROT!
One Piece: You guys like political marriages, romance and abusive parents?

Fixed, hell I expect Naruto to still be around somehow.

Line_HTX

Oh, Buu Kai is confirmed now

kFTTpk0l.jpg

Ooh. Buu like midnight slot!

ckohler

I hope they switch to playing the full DB Super OP every week. I really like it... as long as it's not a poorly dubbed version like Dragon Soul.

Here's the tentative end dates.

One Punch Man: January 28th
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: April 22nd
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: June 3rd
DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters: March 3rd 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 9th 2019
Dragon Ball Super: Nobody knows.
Naruto Shippuden: THE COW IS DEAD PIERROT!
One Piece: You guys like political marriages?

Outside of OPM being replaced and Samurai Jack starting in March, Toonami is looking pretty static going into 2017.

Here's the newest clip from Funimation on Super.

The BOG retelling isn't too bad, but the resurrection of Freeza arc has some really awful animation and is the lowest point of Super.

Honestly, I recommend just watching the movie version instead for that arc and come back when it gets to the new material.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh so we ARE getting DB Super, well that's no surprise, least that means we get to skip the Buu sa.....

Now we get to see Zonic be both pleased and displeased by Dragonball every week!
Zonic is going to be so upset about Buu Saga lol. If you thought Cell Saga was bab, wait until you meet the worst DB saga OF ALL TIME. And yes, filler Garlic Jr Saga might be better tbh

*sees we're still getting Buu & it's an entire hour of Dragon Ball*

a8025442c68050b7021a795e4c9d44190ebe0617_hq.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"set after the defeat of majin boo"

Soooooooooo you're gonna show the aftermath of the buu arc......THEN SHOW THE BUU ARC.

............whatever, Super starts with the retelling of the Battle of Gods movie, which I thought was really good & the perfect combination of rather decent action & humor, plus the most recent episode brought back Arale from Dr. Slump, and it's always fun seeing Toriyama crossing the two over.

It may piss you off Zonic, but its a benefit to Toonami having both right now (ratings for both are gonna be insane).

Besides seeing as we are getting both, nothing is preventing you from skipping Buu Kai altogether, unless you really want to hatewatch through it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It may piss you off Zonic, but its a benefit to Toonami having both right now (ratings for both are gonna be insane).

Besides seeing as we are getting both, nothing is preventing you from skipping Buu Kai altogether, unless you really want to hatewatch through it.
& having 11:30 back is also a good thing. From DeMarco's point of view, I fully understand this will be a good thing for the block.

Too bad the completionist in me tells me "ONE MORE ARC, AND YOU'VE SEEN KAI FULLY" & I feel as though if I don't see it, then any opinions I might have about it wouldn't "count" because "oh you didn't see it? then how can you have an opinion on something you don't know about/only heard of?"

*checks Wiki for episode count*.....so wait, it's split into TWO arcs? One is 44 episodes, then the other is 35, for a grand total of 79 episodes.....

......if I skip it, will I be correct in all the assumptions I have in that it's just going to be yet another copy/paste, but somehow WORSE pacing & decision making compared to Cell?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
& having 11:30 back is also a good thing. From DeMarco's point of view, I fully understand this will be a good thing for the block.

Too bad the completionist in me tells me "ONE MORE ARC, AND YOU'VE SEEN KAI FULLY" & I feel as though if I don't see it, then any opinions I might have about it wouldn't "count" because "oh you didn't see it? then how can you have an opinion on something you don't know about/only heard of?"

*checks Wiki for episode count*.....so wait, it's split into TWO arcs? One is 44 episodes, then the other is 35, for a grand total of 79 episodes.....

......if I skip it, will I be correct in all the assumptions I have in that it's just going to be yet another copy/paste, but somehow WORSE pacing & decision making compared to Cell?
Decision making wise it's a bit less silly. The main villain is magic Cell though so he doesn't have to explain shit.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it goes that long. Especially with how successful its been. The ratings in Japan beat One Piece at times.

Unless I've missed something, the ratings have never surpassed One Piece. Only tied once.

And Super's production has been troubled since the beginning and I honestly don't know if Toei can get their shit together for hundreds of episodes.

Moaradin

Unless I've missed something, the ratings have never surpassed One Piece. Only tied once.

And Super's production has been troubled since the beginning and I honestly don't know if Toei can get their shit together for hundreds of episodes.

Pretty sure it has at least once in the latest arc

edit: yup
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...super-overtakes-one-piece-in-japanese-ratings

It being able to compete with One Piece at all is very good. DB is also a lot bigger overseas than One Piece is. I'm sure Toei wants it to continue as long as possible.

Chase17

I have no nostalgia for dragon ball and have enjoyed the 20 or so episodes I've watched of Super. Looking forward to the dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom