• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
HxH did consistently better than IBO when it was in that timeslot and even now it's doing better from time to time, including this week.

I wish they would swap tbh.

That's not really fair to compare when IBO was airing at midnight and HxH was 12:30. OPM displaced both of them. OPM is clearly bringing in a much bigger casual audience that eat it and DBZ up and aren't staying for anything after it. Swapping hxh and ibo would likely see a similar drop and yall would be panicking about hxh on toonami.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's not really fair to compare when IBO was airing at midnight and HxH was 12:30. OPM displaced both of them. OPM is clearly bringing in a much bigger casual audience that eat it and DBZ up and aren't staying for anything after it. Swapping hxh and ibo would likely see a similar drop and yall would be panicking about hxh on toonami.

Correct.

A bigger question is going to be what happens to IBO and HXH when Jojo replaces One Punch Man. I will be very surprised if Jojo pulls in numbers on OPM's level on a consistent basis.

Moaradin

Of course there would be a drop. Nothing can follow up OPM in ratings except for something like Attack on Titan. But it definitely wouldn't be as big. HxH had 1mil+ viewers pretty consistently back when Dimension W was on the block.

Of course there would be a drop. Nothing can follow up OPM in ratings except for something like Attack on Titan. But it definitely wouldn't be as big. HxH had 1mil+ viewers pretty consistently back when Dimension W was on the block.

Gundam has always done about consistently 300k less then OPM both during up and down ratings weeks. The ratings drop from IBO to HxH has been consistently during it's entire run. The time ibo and hxh stopped consistently doing over 1 million was when the summer started late june where ratings dropped across the board. There is really nothing to be alarmed about, both shows are doing fine OPM is the exception making anything after it look bad and lets be clear, nothing Toonami could potentially put after the 1-2 dbz kai opm could retain the casual audience.

Seda

I felt that IBO had potential early on. Themes of brotherhood (and similar) really appeal to be and the show opened with that in spades. Characters like Mika were especially interesting to me (still are) - he doesn't easily fall into a trope and the way he responded to events around him was simultaneously refreshing but not weird enough to be totally unrelatable. Kudelia wasn't a standout early on, but I felt she had room to grow as a character and was given a fair starting point.

A good chunk of the early dialogue between characters felt natural to me. They weren't just dropping plot points or exposition, it felt like characters actually speaking with each other - their thoughts, what they were feeling, what makes them tick, etc - it felt organic. Some people might think that type of dialogue is boring or pointless because it 'doesn't move the plot forward' or are 'talking about nothing' but I really appreciated it.

However, a lot of places where the potential lied has gone unfulfilled or backwards. Mika and Orga's relationship - why they place so much trust in each other, the history between them - is still a large unknown. I'm not saying the show has to explicitly spell it out for us, the audience. We're not dumb, but it still feels awkward to not be addressed at all up to this point. While Kudelia had room to grow, so far she's just been relegated to "clueless about relationships". That's not especially interesting. Not to mention Atra's inclusion seems to be mostly just for a crappy love triangle angle, barring her recent events which are largely the result of unbelievable storytelling.The goals of Gjallerhorn are kinda vague and typical still. Not to mention the Human Debris stuff which didn't work on any level.

I wonder if the writer had a general outline of what they wanted this series to be, but didn't need 20-whatever episodes to tell it, so this whole middle section feels like a meandering poorly written awkward spacer to fill time.

EDIT: In short I feel like there are still a few good (maybe great?) characters mixed in with other pretty terrible characters and a throwaway plot so far.

Crocodile

Happy B-Day to Bass! Good thing I checked the thread today or else I would have missed it :p

Also ouch at IBO >_<

Good to see OPM is still killing it though. DO NOT MISS THIS WEEKEND'S EPISODE!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NARUTO - EPISODE SEVENTY-TWO: A Mistake From The Past, A Face Revealed!

Sakura lost.

The animation...is not as nice as last episodes. Team Naruto is chasing the sauce. Pakkun smells something...Sakura uses the same shampoo he does...only his coat is a lot glossier than hers. "I smell like a dog" is repeated over and over and ghost Sakura floats away through the trees. Sauce time. Gaara isn't ready yet and this Uchiha kid is trouble. Temari time. She throws some kunai which he dodges easily. Kakuro thinks that she's no match for him alone but she's been waiting for this fight. Kakuro gets away with Gaara! She's almost out of juice from her first round match. She needs him to waste his chakra as well. He's gonna just try and one hit her with the Chidori. Wind Scythe Jutsu! Sandstorm Jutsu! He's holding back! He can't get into range at this rate. Phoenix Flower Jutsu to get her on the ground and then a Fireball jutsu to roast her. Nope, her wind is too strong and he slips on some sand and has kunai thrown in his center mass.

It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.

Of course it's a substitution jutsu. She is knocked back by the paper bomb exploding but fortunately for her he's gotta run. Hopefully she held him back long enough for Gaara to get away.

It's, it's...

Orochimaru time. Who is it? It's me, Orochimaru! Sarutobi is LEGIT SHOOK. It's been a decade since he left the village. This is why you weren't the fourth Hokage. Backstory time from when the third found Orochimaru's hidden lab of human experimentation. The jig is up. He wasn't expecting anyone to get through his traps but of course the Third could. Apparently Orochimaru has been kidnapping ninja of all stripes...and he freely admits it. He's developing jutsu. Forbidden stuff. He wants it all. Immortality is what he'll need to find/invent all the jutsu. Even if he was Hokage he'd die one day. Eternal youth is a side benefit. So he invented the immortality jutsu. Body Stealing is the idea behind it. He used his old form for sentimental reasons. Throws more shade at the the Third for being old and busted. He thanks the leaf for raising his next body so well. Yes, he wants the Sauce. Joekage wants to know how many bodies he has used so far. Two or three but he's waiting for his main dish of sauce, needs to be ripened a bit. He asks Joekage which face he should use and then switches back to Orochimaru classic. The zombies are ready to go again and the first puts him in a familiar looking wood prison. The third is still out of it, he never really wanted to fight his favorite pupil. Just as he allowed Orochimaru to escape when he fled the village last time. A once in a generation student coming during the great ninja war. A worthy successor. He was naive then and its all his fault that this is happening now. He summoned Enma back then as well and the monkey king told him to kill Orochimaru who instead just killed the two ANBU and ran away. He couldn't do it then...but he can now! He's ready to go.

Stolen from Naruto.

SHADOW CLONE JUTSU! Anbu and Orchimaru think he is just trying to shorten his life span but nope, the third starts up some crazy hand signs. The fourth's forbidden jutsu?!?

He summoned Itsygo!

The reaper, invisible to all but the one who summoned it. Orochimaru says the Leaf will fall. Not on the third's watch who cuts a fiery old timer promo. The second tries some Genjutsu which brings infinite darkness. Orochimaru calls the Leaf a mere cluster of huts.

BKIh2JL.gif

Nah son, this place is home. The village is his family. A pillar full of termites and rot. Even if he falls Orochimaru will still fail. He's the third hokage but the fifth will come along and form a new house even stronger than the one he's laid down. Now it's time for the reaper death seal!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*listens to podcast*

"hey, we might be getting Seda next week"

"yaaay"

"and Zonic"

"lolololololol"

:( *sniff*
I have Charter Spectrum, my internet is 65mbps on a good day, I'm pretty sure I won't have issues with static or my voice dropping from the chat

HERE I GO!
giphy.gif

SHINING FINGER!

G-Gundam looks so great on Blu-ray guys.

Also, thinking about picking up Color Splash. Combat may be meh, but apparently it's better designed and has better writing than Sticker Star.

Jarate

Banned
HERE I GO!
giphy.gif

SHINING FINGER!

G-Gundam looks so great on Blu-ray guys.

Also, thinking about picking up Color Splash. Combat may be meh, but apparently it's better designed and has better writing than Sticker Star.

Maybe we live in the timeline where Demarco airs HD G Gundam

this is the best timeline

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Funimation to show One Piece Film: Gold to US theaters January 10th through 17th.

I look forward to another movie I actually want to see once again not be shown at the theater I work at.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Funimation to show One Piece Film: Gold to US theaters January 10th through 17th.

I look forward to another movie I actually want to see once again not be shown at the theater I work at.

LOL

I'm totally going to get a ticket to that though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair the height of Fairy Tail's popularity was years ago, back before we even had One Piece on the block was when it had its best chance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hooray, some faith in the toonami viewer fanbase restored.

Though I still wouldn't mind hearing an updated top 5 requested list now that they got some of the biggest titles now like Jojo & OPM.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Friendship is the magic that turns battles into victory

....lol now I would love to see 4Kids picking the series up & having no idea what would happen later on.

Sonicbug

Just poking my head in to say that Gundam IBO slowly picks back up after episode 16 and that's probably the lowest point in the first season. Don't know if the audience will come back for it, though.

Some good One Piece coming up.

Looking ahead I was a bit surprised at how much of Thriller Bark we have left. I was thinking the appearance of a character was happening in a couple weeks but it's still over a month away.

So in random RPG thoughts, The World Ends with You is a pretty good game.

Don't really understand the desire for a sequel tho. Thought the characters carried the story in that game, not the world.

The series that comes to mind is My Hero Academia.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So in random RPG thoughts, The World Ends with You is a pretty good game.

Don't really understand the desire for a sequel tho. Thought the characters carried the story in that game, not the world.
I just want to play it again after all these years. Hell, I'd gladly buy it if S-E put it on the Wii U VC. Or made an enhanced version for the 3DS.

If anything, it's one of those great ideas that feels like S-E is just doing nothing with & gets put on the backburner for Lightning Strikes Twice Final Fantasy 13-13.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Was there a more forgettable show that TOONAMI aired than Dimension W?

I only ever remember it existed if I see it when browsing Funimation Now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Samurai 7. It was perhaps the most "well....okay...." show I watched.

DW was slowly going downhill after episode 3 & then just into wtf territory when we got to easter island & destroyed the good will/expectations made by the first few episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Samurai 7. It was perhaps the most "well....okay...." show I watched.

DW was slowly going downhill & then just into wtf territory when we got to easter island & destroyed the good will/expectations made by the first few episodes.

I'll never forget sold your wife or Big Red.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll give Blue Exorcist some credit. Despite feeling meh for the majority of the show, it still had a hilariously bonkers ending & actually had good humor that would make me watch a comedy spin-off.

Aside from SOLD MY WIFE & the fact they didn't use A DAMN CYBORG SAMURAI to their fullest potential, I don't think I can recall most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom