• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

sYX4eZh.png

I died harder than Yamcha laughing at this.

How is the dub's Reigen? That's all that matters.

Kirbopher nails it. He was the one who I was most worried about since he's only recently started doing professional work, but I have no complaints. He does the "Snake's Oil Salesman" routine really good. The only thing a little off is just how he pronounces exorcise.

Kyle's Mob sounds almost exactly like the Japanese version and Max Mittelman is a pretty good Ritsu.

Mizerman

Kirbopher nails it. He was the one who I was most worried about since he's only recently started doing professional work, but I have no complaints. He does the "Snake's Oil Salesman" routine really good. The only thing a little off is just how he pronounces exorcise.

Kyle's Mob sounds almost exactly like the Japanese version and Max Mittelman is a pretty good Ritsu.

Welp, that's good news for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

That sounds promising. I saw Kirbopher posted a video promoting the premier & that he was in it.

Waiting to see clips on YT showcasing a few scenes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

That's great to hear. With how expressive and emotive with all the detail in the animation so making sure you get voice actors to match is a must for this kind of show. One thing MP100 excels at is doing a lot with a little and gets really creative as the season goes on. The final few episodes are beautiful.

Seda

I started watching the original Gundam. I know someone else in the thread was going through it too (Crimson_Echidna?).

I'm 10 episodes in, which is right when
Garma dies in the abandoned city.

I'm more familiar with this show than I realized. Back in middle or high school, I got a game for PS2 called Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo. I don't even remember how I got it, if it was a gift or if I bought it on a whim.

NtLhRnLm.png

I guess this game goes through the events of the anime pretty directly, at least in part. I remember the game being pretty short but had a fairly robust scoring system, so I played through the levels many times over, and I suppose some of the storyline events stuck in my memory fairly well. I think the game is at my parent's house still, so maybe I'll play through it for nostalgia during the holidays, haha.

As for the show itself, it's much more straightforward than something like IBO. On one hand, it basically does establish the factions and villains fairly clearly. It's not very subtle and feels kind of robotic, but there's no question why there is a conflict taking place. The show also focuses on a smaller group of characters, which I think helps. There's also basically a battle in every episode so far. Some of the characters are really one-note though - there's more a focus on moving the plotline forward than establishing the cast. In some sense it's almost anti-IBO, which stalled the plotline at times in order to flesh out characters (with mixed success).

Some of the subplots and cast drama are pretty contrived, I feel. Like sometimes there's this friction between Amuro and Bright that doesn't really feel genuine to me.

Anyway I have no idea how much I'll be able to watch before Unicorn starts up, but I've been meaning to watch some UC Gundam for a while.

EDIT: Oh also, I figure several fictions have borrowed this stage, but having a space battle right at the edge of Earths atmosphere was .. interesting .. to compare between original Gundam and IBO.

HStallion

New watchers are (somewhat) not prepared for 100.

No one ever is. One of the best parts of MP100 is how it constantly undercuts and totally destroys expected anime tropes. People will understand this once they watch the entire first season but man its great.

Mizerman

I started watching the original Gundam. I know someone else in the thread was going through it too (Crimson_Echidna?).

I'm 10 episodes in, which is right when
Garma dies in the abandoned city.

I'm more familiar with this show than I realized. Back in middle or high school, I got a game for PS2 called Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo. I don't even remember how I got it, if it was a gift or if I bought it on a whim.

NtLhRnLm.png

I guess this game goes through the events of the anime pretty directly, at least in part. I remember the game being pretty short but had a fairly robust scoring system, so I played through the levels many times over, and I suppose some of the storyline events stuck in my memory fairly well. I think the game is at my parent's house still, so maybe I'll play through it for nostalgia during the holidays, haha.

As for the show itself, it's much more straightforward than something like IBO. On one hand, it basically does establish the factions and villains fairly clearly. It's not very subtle and feels kind of robotic, but there's no question why there is a conflict taking place. The show also focuses on a smaller group of characters, which I think helps. There's also basically a battle in every episode so far. Some of the characters are really one-note though - there's more a focus on moving the plotline forward than establishing the cast. In some sense it's almost anti-IBO, which stalled the plotline at times in order to flesh out characters (with mixed success).

Some of the subplots and cast drama are pretty contrived, I feel. Like sometimes there's this friction between Amuro and Bright that doesn't really feel genuine to me.

Anyway I have no idea how much I'll be able to watch before Unicorn starts up, but I've been meaning to watch some UC Gundam for a while.

EDIT: Oh also, I figure several fictions have borrowed this stage, but having a space battle right at the edge of Earths atmosphere was .. interesting .. to compare between original Gundam and IBO.

Oh yeah, I remember playing this. Man, that last fight with Char in the story mode was kinda tough.

HStallion

I wonder if I should watch MP100 now or wait for it to air on Toonami for the full group watch experience?

I haven't seen the dub but the original version is excellent and I actually like it overall more than One Punch Man.

So I got about 5 episodes left of Mobile Suit Gundam. I'm liking the show overall but one nasty habit this series has is suddenly introducing these new character motivations out of the blue.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm working retail right up to the crack of Christmas.

Pray for me Toonami-gaf, for I am lost.
I got lucky this year in that Xmas falls on a Sunday, meaning that I wouldn't have to deal with working on the holiday like last year......but I'm also doing my friend a favor & letting him spend his last Xmas with his wife before their kid is born, so I have to go in on Xmas night & clean up after everyone who wanted to see a movie as a Xmas treat. Spoilers: It's a lot busier than you'd think because a good amount are people who don't celebrate it or just want something to do with the family after opening presents.

Did you have to work Thanksgiving as well? Only upside is we earn a few extra bucks per hour on Thanksgiving & more on Xmas (which I'll only get about one hour worth of bonus pay since I aim to go in at 11 PM before it becomes the 26th), but because I had to work on Thanksgiving, I had to skip out on seeing my family.

money tho

Yeah, I know. The fact that I'm working at Costco means the money is already pretty decent.

I got lucky this year in that Xmas falls on a Sunday, meaning that I wouldn't have to deal with working on the holiday like last year......but I'm also doing my friend a favor & letting him spend his last Xmas with his wife before their kid is born, so I have to go in on Xmas night & clean up after everyone who wanted to see a movie as a Xmas treat. Spoilers: It's a lot busier than you'd think because a good amount are people who don't celebrate it or just want something to do with the family after opening presents.

Did you have to work Thanksgiving as well? Only upside is we earn a few extra bucks per hour on Thanksgiving & more on Xmas (which I'll only get about one hour worth of bonus pay since I aim to go in at 11 PM before it becomes the 26th), but because I had to work on Thanksgiving, I had to skip out on seeing my family.

Going to the movies on Xmas seems weird to me. Wasn't really employed at Thanksgiving, so didn't have to work then. On a side note, Costco is apparently cool and closes on Thanksgiving.

bigkrev

When I was a lifeguard, I loved getting time-and-a-half on Christmas because I was Jewish so it was just any other day for me

I was an -idiot- for working New Years day though. Lost out on a ton of fun in High School because I had to open the facility.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Going to the movies on Xmas seems weird to me. Wasn't really employed at Thanksgiving, so didn't have to work then. On a side note, Costco is apparently cool and closes on Thanksgiving.
Well what else would you do on Xmas? Spend time with FAMILY? Play with your new presents?!

All seriousness, my family & dad's gf + her kids wanted to see a movie on Xmas last year & it was PACKED to the point the concession had to shout to the line "X MOVIE IS SOLD OUT". Again, it's more people who don't celebrate the holiday & others having nothing else to do once the presents are unwrapped & they've had something to eat, and not much else is open. Plus a bunch of new movies open that weekend as well. Hell, last year, Xmas was on a Friday, which is also the same day new movies premiere, making it even more packed.

Though to be fair, I always saw it as an odd thing as well, & that goes for Thanksgiving as well. But now that I work night shift, I basically stay up until it's around my bed time (around 7 a.m.), everyone opens presents, eat the xmas cinnamon rolls that's tradition for some reason (but I ain't arguing), then go to bed & wake up realizing "oh right, it's still Xmas....but I gotta go into work tonight, hope the roads aren't bad."

New Years, that's not so busy because everyone's out partying & most likely already saw the newest movies.

I'm working retail right up to the crack of Christmas.

Pray for me Toonami-gaf, for I am lost.

Wish I was working, my bills are backed up and I have to pawn some things tomorrow.

Damn walmart, hires me, fires me a year later only to re-hire me a month later only to make we wait 22 days to actually start working.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
With Phantom Blood coming to an end this weekend, I feel now's a good time to bring up the long lost Phantom Blood movie.

Wikipedia article here
Lost Media Wiki page here

Released in 2007, it was animated by the same studio that did the Stardust Crusaders OVAs in 1993 and 2000.
It tried to tell the story of Phantom Blood in 100 minutes.
The movie's biggest sin was the removal of Speedwagon. Something Araki really hated, and was likely one of the reasons that he forbade a home video release. Hence, its legendary lost status.

The Lost Media page has the only existing footage. A couple trailers, and 17 minutes of (mostly) finished animation used for a sound design project (no voices or original music).

If you're curious about shared voices:
Jonathan was the voice of Kamina
Dio was the voice of Android 16, Seto Kaiba, Softon (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo), the title character of Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, and many others.
Erina was the voice of Hinata
Zeppeli was the voice of Coyote Starrk (Bleach), Yamato (Naruto), Death (Soul Eater), Ging Freecs (Hunter x Hunter 2011), the Sea King (One-Punch Man), a cool spoiler character in One Piece, and many others.

A few months before the movie's release, a beat-em-up game was released for the PS2, sharing the movie's voice cast.

It's unlikely we'll see this movie, so we're all left wondering "how bad could it possibly be"?

It's unlikely we'll see this movie, so we're all left wondering "how bad could it possibly be"?

Watching the 9-episode adaptation, I have to imagine that was just way too much content to try and condense into a single movie. The Stardust Crusaders OVAs (which shared the same animation studio) had the same issues.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I tried watching a few episodes of the Part 3 OVA since people in the anime thread were all "NAAAAH, THE OVA DID THIS EPISODE MUCH BETTER, THIS NEW VERSION JUST DOESN'T LIVE UP TO THE OLD ANIME" & man, a lot of people must've not rewatched it lately, because I highly prefer David Pro's version. Especially since some parts felt waaaay too rushed (like
the D'Arby episode
, as most of the tension was just gone because it had no time to build up).

Edit: Also wasn't too fond of the dub, especially for the character mentioned above & the art style felt....off. It didn't keep the small things like the MENANCING onomatopoeia or Araki's style of having multiple "official" colors based on the situation/chapter/arc.

Moaradin

The animation in the old OVA is a lot better at times (that OVA had some serious talent on it), but I definitely prefer the TV series. The character designs are so much better and while the TV series could have cut some things, the OVAs cut out way too much.

cntr

Banned
The Part 3 OVA felt like it lacked the "Jojo" style, yeah. And can you imagine how boring Phantom Blood would be without that? No wonder the movie flopped.

The animation in the old OVA is a lot better at times (that OVA had some serious talent on it), but I definitely prefer the TV series. The character designs are so much better and while the TV series could have cut some things, the OVAs cut out way too much.

I dug the animation in the original 6 episodes (aka the last 6). When they did the first 7 episodes years later it was pretty bad.

I actually dug the D'arby bit in the OVA myself. I guess because I actually really enjoyed the OST
when Jotaro started to psyche him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom