• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yoooooooooooooooo, I won Koei Tecmo's twitter contest, meaning I'm getting a code for the PS4 Attack on Titan game.

...............which means another backlog game.....in addition to Gravity Rush 2 & Nier Automata having their demos coming tomorrow.

..........so an early Xmas!

Regiruler

It's basically THE gateway anime.

It's always the first recommendation for somebody who goes "hey I want to get into anime, what should I watch?"
I have an inclination that there have been more converts due to dbz, naruto, or bleach.

I wonder if you can make a statistic out of it.

BBboy20

Yoooooooooooooooo, I won Koei Tecmo's twitter contest, meaning I'm getting a code for the PS4 Attack on Titan game.

...............which means another backlog game.....in addition to Gravity Rush 2 & Nier Automata having their demos coming tomorrow.

The luckiest man in the world.

I have an inclination that there have been more converts due to dbz, naruto, or bleach.

I wonder if you can make a statistic out of it.

Those shows usually grab people when their kids who'll be a lot more open to the absurd shit in those series. Someone going on a message board and asking "I wanna get into anime! what should I watch?" is usually someone in their late teens or older who probably need something a little more...western than those series to get a good entry point.

Jarate

Banned
Cowboy Bebop is a bad gateway anime because it's like, the best thing there is and nothing else is really like it.

If you want a true gateway anime, Death Note, Baccano, Dragonball would be good choices. Im not too big into slice of life but probably stuff like Clannad?

Basically, you need to watch Ping Pong the Animation, which is the perfect anime

Mizerman

Nice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Friendly reminder that the Naruto Manga thread here was super active for two years after the manga ended pretty much entirely on shipping talk.

Also rewatching Haruhi for the first time in awhile. Doing the DVD order, aka the chronological order. This one works fine now if you consider the movie to be the climax. When it was just season one the Chronological order ended on a giant wet fart.

Tonight it is going to be most/all of Endless eight while playing DQ VII. A game that never ends along with an endless summer.

Josh5890

Cowboy Bebop is a bad gateway anime because it's like, the best thing there is and nothing else is really like it.

If you want a true gateway anime, Death Note, Baccano, Dragonball would be good choices. Im not too big into slice of life but probably stuff like Clannad?

Basically, you need to watch Ping Pong the Animation, which is the perfect anime

I saw a few episodes with you guys before on the stream. maybe I'll splurge on the blu-ray set down the road

Why do people act like Samurai Champloo isn't as good as Bebop?

giphy.gif

Jarate

Banned
Why do people act like Samurai Champloo isn't as good as Bebop?

Champloo doesnt have as good as characters, animation, storytelling as Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo is like an 8/10 that can sometimes reach 10/10 every few episodes, but it's way too inconsistent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still need to watch that, I heard it was rather good. Though I don't recall it ever getting an US release.

As for Champloo, I think its biggest downfall was trying to be a "follow up" work after Cowboy Bebop, to which NOTHING was going to top that. It just reminds me when people kept trying to compare Space Dandy to Cowboy Bebop because it was the same guy who made it, just judge it on its own merits, not the thing to with nothing will surpass it, no matter what.

zulux21

so what happens when it is christmas time and you put edward elric and vash the stampede (or ichigo from bleach, or laluche from code geass) in the same room?

you get this

happy holidays y'all.

ckohler

Episode 36 "President King Satan"
In this episode, Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler, and Imperial Bishop discuss GiTS coming back, Toriyama forgetting, reinforced coffins, Coco-Cola sponsorships, Hisoka's murder boner, Evil Tobi, and Straw Hat team-ups.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode036.mp3
Video:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode036.mp4

Timecodes:
0:00:34 News
0:12:58 DBZ
0:19:29 Jojo Part 1
0:27:22 Jojo Part 2
0:36:25 HxH
0:42:49 Shippuden
0:50:46 One Piece
1:00:13 Sign Offs

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Will give it a listen to tomorrow night. Makes cleaning up after this busy holiday season much more tolerable & sometimes gives me a good laugh or "yeessss, that is exactly my opinion"

Any plans for the award podcast stuff? Is it gonna be one huge-ass long one again or split up into different days with just a few at a time?

Moaradin

I would put Champloo's OST up there with Bebop. They are way too different for me to say one is better than the other, but they are both some of the best in the genre.

Mizerman

ah was he brolly?

I was far to lazy to look up what other shows he did that aired on toonami as I had little doubt that everyone here knew of FMA :p

and if you don't know what FMA stands for... fix that right now :p

Yep. I heard he's not too fond of the role nowadays.

Speaking of, how has Sean's voice not given out yet?

He must have a personal reservoir of drinking water.
When you compare what Vic sounds like to what Brolly sounds like it's got to be murder on his throat. Vic's a bit high pitched, Broly is on some Barry White shit it's just too much stress to maintain that. Sean probably has Senzu Beans, I know it. Granted I have no idea how far away Goku is from Schemmel's vocal register.

Cause it requires him to be in a vocal range that is rather uncomfortable for him. Vic's also in Full Metal Panic.

And it requires a lot of screaming. Which, based on what I've heard about the Voice Actors strike for Video Games, can really fuck up your voice. Especially since Vic also likes to sing on the side.

Mizerman

I'm still amazed that Mark Hamill was able to maintain that effort to voice Joker all those years and even took a toll on his voice.

And it requires a lot of screaming. Which, based on what I've heard about the Voice Actors strike for Video Games, can really fuck up your voice. Especially since Vic also likes to sing on the side.
Yeah that dude loves to sing, it's something I wouldn't want him to stop doing. Didn't Chris Patton retire to sing or something?
I'm still amazed that Mark Hamill was able to maintain that effort to voice Joker all those years and even took a toll on his voice.
That's cause Mark knew where the money was. He's more fondly remembered as The Joker than as Luke Skywalker in my opinon...that and turning into a centipede in Guyver 2.

cntr

Banned
Man, I just realized that all this Shippuden bullshit means I've almost forgotten that the Sharingan's original deal is that it could copy powers, do jedi mind tricks, and be really precise. That shit was so much more interesting than the mangekyo bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom