• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Kabaneri and I was pretty thoroughly entertained. It's pretty straightforward as far as the plot and characters goes and doesn't break any new ground, but for it was, I really dug it. The character designs and animation was gorgeous. My one complaint was how generic the main villain was. Those final 5 episodes got weighed down by how one-note he was.

Alright time for me to do one of these. Omitting One Piece and Naurto Shitudden due to barely watching them.

Worst Moment:
Really most of Akame Ga Kill could be put here but for specifics, it would have to be either them trying to make me give a shit about the romance between the protag and the pink haired woman or...
When they killed the Pyro AKA the only good character in AGK
Everything that allowed Cell to reach his perfect form in DBZ Kai.
Best Moment
Pretty much all of episode 3 in Jojo's Bizzare Adventure.
Mugen's Near death experience
The ending to Akame Ga Kill (cause it ended and we could move on to better shows)
Best Fight
Saitama vs Boros (OPM)
The fights with Blueford and Tarukus (Do these count as their own thing or are they together?)
If together then the fight with Tekkaden and Teiwaz in episode 7 of IBO.
Best Villain
It was he, Dio!
Hunter X Hunter: Hisoka
McGills in IBO
Worst Character
Fumitan in IBO
Tonpa in HXH
One of the school girls (Yuko, I think was her name) in Parasyte.
Best Character
You thought it was Jojo, but it was me, DIO!
Oh and Speedwagon.
Also Mugen in Samurai Champloo.
Biggest Disappointment:
Dimension W, easily. Potential squandered on a show that needed 24 episodes
Parasyte being so painfully forgettable and average.
The middle part of IBO being worse than I remember.
Best Surprise
Jojo's lives up to the hype.
Hunter X Hunter ending up on Toonami
Edmonton is actually in a anime. Accurately depicted no less.
Most Wanted New Show:
Lupin the 3rd in Italia
Tiger & Bunny
A otherwise good show with a good dub.
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Patrick Seitz as Dio
Kyle McCarley as Mikazuki
Steve Blum as Mugen
Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Erica Mendez as Gon
Cassandra Lee as Atra
Cristina Vee as Killua

Might change some of this later but this is basically my submission.

I just finished Kabaneri and I was pretty thoroughly entertained. It's pretty straightforward as far as the plot and characters goes and doesn't break any new ground, but for it was, I really dug it. The character designs and animation was gorgeous. My one complaint was how generic the main villain was. Those final 5 episodes got weighed down by how one-note he was.

It honestly feels like they intended to introduce the villain at the end of s1 to set him up to be the big threat in s2, but then wrapped his plot up quickly in s1 since maybe a second season wasn't a guarantee.

Chase17

I should get back to Kabaneri. Got 5 episodes in but fell out of it for whatever reason. Show was solid through that too.

For winter break I've been bouncing around Baby Steps, Kuroko, and getting a little ahead in JoJo. Sports!

vyfcIMd.gif

The Sengoku Basara anime is an anime folks.
That's...um not how horses...and...um...physics work.

Y'know I would've made a joke about how Subaru's a punk bitch compared to a certain eleven year old but A.that would be spoilers and B.I haven't seen Re:Zero.

Takeda Shingen rode his horse-drawn chariot vertically up a castle wall while maintaining a badass pose with his Takeda Shingen sized axe. The Sengoku Basara anime is way better than a videogame based anime should be.

Moaradin

I should get back to Kabaneri. Got 5 episodes in but fell out of it for whatever reason. Show was solid through that too.

For winter break I've been bouncing around Baby Steps, Kuroko, and getting a little ahead in JoJo. Sports!

You stopped right when as it was dropping off a cliff

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If Toonami could air fairly old shows like Michiko and Hatchin, Gurren Lagann, and Soul Eater, there's still hope for Sengoku Basara.

They kind of wanted those shows though and once again Toonami just don't have the room for random anime series, so the hope is dim at best

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, ring in the new year as we kick off 2017 with 7 episodes of Gohan vs. Cell, and stick around for Toonami's first ever subtitled animation with Shelter: The Animation.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 92 - Tears For An Android! Gohan's Inner Rage Bursts Forth!
12:30 - Shelter: The Animation
12:35 - Dragonball Z Kai - 93 - Unleash the Warrior Within! Gohan Takes the Offensive!
1:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 94 - Perfection's End! A Fury Beyond Super Saiyan!
1:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 95 - A Hero's Sacrifice! Last Chance to Save the World!
2:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 96 - Combine Your Strength! The Final Kamehame-Ha!
2:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 97 - A Bittersweet Victory! Until We Meet Again!
3:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 98 - Peace For the Future! The Spirit of Goku is Forever! - END

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
now they're not even showing Shelter at the beginning of the block? DeMarco is clearly trying to make this music video fail so he can tell us "SEE, subtitled stuff DOESN'T get the views!!"

Screw it, I'll use the time to see if I can get the online stream of Toonami to work with Chromecast tonight & if the 10 second lag is acceptable in terms of commenting.

Regiruler

I got the idea in my head to do all of my nominations in speedwagonese and it won't go away...

Did we ever get numbers for the Jojothon?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
download.png

Asshat is a pretty good summary of Donald Trump as a person.
The fact I noticed it was Sabat & re-read it in his voice just made that tweet even better.

Also, maybe I should make some kind of "games I most enjoyed & were most disappointing in 2016" list or something. I just don't feel like making a top 10 since I tend to forget "oh right, I forgot I played that/came out this year" & sometimes it's just unfair to compare certain genres.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
now they're not even showing Shelter at the beginning of the block? DeMarco is clearly trying to make this music video fail so he can tell us "SEE, subtitled stuff DOESN'T get the views!!"

Screw it, I'll use the time to see if I can get the online stream of Toonami to work with Chromecast tonight & if the 10 second lag is acceptable in terms of commenting.
Posting is on a minute timer anyways.

The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian is a janky awkward game that is also pretty damn good in my opinion. It's the type of game where your cat goat will sometimes listen to you perfectly and other times choose a really inappropriate time to scratch his neck, throwing you off to your death as a result. I think, kinda like Shin Godzilla, people should know what they're getting with TLG. In TLG, you are very rarely ever in complete control. The trailer that has your armadillo horse catching you with his tail after you outrun a collapsing platform? Action set piece moments like that are like 10%, maybe 15% of the game. (And honestly, I think most of them are the some of the weaker moments of the game.) Most of the game is you and your pheasant donkey traveling along ruins, solving simple puzzles. When combat enters the scene, your main job in the overwhelming majority of them is not to get grabbed by the various armored goons after you. (Later on you get to be a bit more active.) The game doesn't run smooth on a base PS4, it sometimes dips all the way down to like 15 frames per second. Sometimes the camera will just freak out in close quarters. The little goober you're in charge of has two movement speeds, tip towing and running like the dickens.

It probably sounds like I'm lambasting the game, but I had a pretty great time with it. It's a game you have to go at its speed for though. It's got great art, some genuinely breathtaking moments, and Trico himself is pretty amazing.

Line_HTX

Happy New Year, y'all. I most likely won't make the Top however many Wall of Shame because it was winding down. I hope to get back into the swing of things in the new year, new thread.

I swear I will catch up to Battle Tendency.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Posting is on a minute timer anyways.
but it's the internet

if i'm not the first to react to something, then someone else will

But seriously, I mainly want to see if Toonami would stream via Chromecast so that way, I can still watch it on TV & have the thread up at the same time instead of both on my laptop. I imagine 10 seconds isn't too bad as I'm thinking it is, I'll probably see posts of a reaction of something JUST as it happens.

Wait, Scavengers lead the block last week, why not give equal treatment?
My guess is Scavengers was 15 minutes, so it worked better or something at the beginning & end of the block. Shelter is about 4 minutes, so I'm guessing it gets the normal "music video" treatment, though I never see them so I don't know much.

download.png

Asshat is a pretty good summary of Donald Trump as a person.

Along with many better descriptions for that man people call a president elect.

Incidentally, he's not the only VA who's railed on Trump. Steve Blum, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Cristina Vee, and Rena Strober have all (rightfully) shat on Trump and the rest of his ilk. And that's just off the top of my head.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Scavengers lead the block last week, why not give equal treatment?
I think that's exactly why, actually. Shelter was originally scheduled for midnight. Then they probably saw the big drop off between Scavengers and the first Jojo last week and figured maybe they should have Dragon Ball lead off so they don't immediately lose the audience with something unfamiliar right out of the gate.

I'm gonna skip toonami's rerun of the Cell Games and watch the Other World Tournament filler arc tonight, shame it never got covered in Kai even if it was filler, it was still a good arc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just gonna either play more Unravel, start Ratchet & Clank, or begin Case 3 of Ace Attorney 6 once I watch Shelter & the reactions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm gonna skip toonami's rerun of the Cell Games and watch the Other World Tournament filler arc tonight, shame it never got covered in Kai even if it was filler, it was still a good arc.

I liked that arc and all of the filler stuff at the very opening of the Buu saga.

Omph, they're talking bout the new Fate series over in anime-gaf.

Now as someone who has tried and failed to get into that series, most of that series is bad right? I'm not crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom