• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ask Duckroll for a hookup. I hear they recently got a very interesting PM.

vqcGBS7.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It does? That's the best part!

LAME! SKIP IT!

Most of it is non canon.

DBZ is weird in that a ton of its filler is really quite interesting. The only really bad stretch of it is Fake Namek. The other filler arcs (Other World Tournament, Great Saiyaman, Snake Way) are all pretty good and the one offs like Goku and Gohan running into Tao Pai Pai and the driving episode are wonderful.

Wait, Great Saiyaman is non-canon or only certain parts of it? I'll admit i've never read the Dragon Ball manga. The answer to that question could very well destroy me emotionally for the rest of time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, Great Saiyaman is non-canon or only certain parts of it? I'll admit i've never read the Dragon Ball manga. The answer to that question could very well destroy me emotionally for the rest of time.

Almost all of it is non-canon. Episodes 202-204.

Gohan's First Date/Rescue Videl/Blackmail are all non canon. Those are basically the three episodes of Saiyaman doing super hero stuff instead of getting ready for the Budokai Tenkaichi.

Gohan's First Date/Rescue Videl/Blackmail are all non canon. Those are basically the three episodes of Saiyaman doing super hero stuff instead of getting ready for the Budokai Tenkaichi.

BUT DOES HE DRESS UP AND DO FUNNY POSES IN THE MANGA, MAN GOD!?!? DOES HE!?!?!?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's lame, that stuff was way more fun that a lot of the Buu stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's still some Saiyaman stuff, but basically just the bare minimum for Gohan and Videl to hook up.

Yes, it's literally:

She figures out that its Gohan, that he's the son of Goku, meets his little brother, GETS RID OF HER SUPERIOR HAIRCUT, learns how to fly, and gets him to enter the Budokai Tenkaichi.

Tamanon

Banned
Super has gotten pretty great this arc. Will be happy when the dub finally arrives.

Also, I haven't seen the Buu stuff in forever and I think I missed some of it too, so I'd be down for Buu Kai.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great stuff as usual SAB. Best pics are obvious OPM and DBZ.

Quickly draw Boros kicking Saitama into space
(that would take ages. Don't do that)

I look forward to your JoJo pics. Man you will get PLENTY to draw there. Start voguing now!

Thanks a bunch! Really could use some Boris there, he kinda reminds me of an expanded Pyron from Darkstalkers... That would totally take ages, but I'd love to do it sometimes.

JoJo's is gonna be great; the will to JoJoIfFy everything will be strong. Gotta thank Stupid Sexy Sensei in KLK for a preview of how it's gonna feel to draw such things, too, lol.

These are awesome, SAB. I think the Canary pic looks fine IMO.

Thanks! Glad you like 'em. I like the pic a bit more when I step back from it too, but I still want to do her a bit more justice. Her design does really look nice, I wanna dote on it and get everything near perfect, heh. There's really not many HxH designs I feel that attached too yet.

Her little afro-puff hair is a nice touch, and reminds me of early concept designs of Nadia, before they deemed such hair "too hard to animate" back in Secret of Blue Water. (A picture for this apparently doesn't exist online, lol.)

This was great too, because I instantly started laughing at how overly serious L'Oréal looked. Kurapika just looked shiny eyed, whatever.

http://i.imgur.com/5S9Tx4l.jpg

So awesome, Captain Falcon's Knee got an upgrade! OPM does a great job with having awesome takes on characters that are basic in concept, but fantastic in visual execution.

B.K.

How good of an adaptation was One Punch Man? Can I skip to where season one ended in the manga or should I start from the beginning?

BBboy20

How good of an adaptation was One Punch Man? Can I skip to where season one ended in the manga or should I start from the beginning?
If you don't mind a thematic study of a franchise, just consume as much of it as possible.

If you want overt substance, go to Mob Psycho 100.

bigkrev

If it's a time factor, a LOT of OPM is full page spreads of images without words. You can read it pretty quickly, and it's worth doing

If it's a money factor, feel free to skip ahead. You aren't missing much.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Like I said, it's because the eyes are inconsistent.

I think I just don't like Kurapika, actually. Not that he's bad... be just doesn't seems special. Most of the saucer-pan-eye'd characters in shows like this will either be female, or incredibly young.

But there's no female main cast most of the time, and Gon has youth plastered all over him, with a backup portion from Kil. So what's gripping about Pika
(chu)
that makes me remember him?

Seda

So far:

Kurapika>Killua>Leorio>Gon

Kurapika seems the most thoughtful character and is my favorite of the cast. I have an affinity for smart, observant, yet considerate characters. My ranking is more set in the type of character he is more than direct contributions to the plot at large, as he hasn't really had a chance in the spotlight yet.

Killua's struggle with his upbringing and his newfound need of friendship is a little trite but it's dynamic enough to have some trajectory in potential character growth.

Leorio is kinda comic relief and so far hasn't contributed much to the plot, but I like a good bit of his quips and mannerisms. He also seems to be the most "normal" of the group and kinda grounds the rest with his viewpoint on the situations they find themselves in, even if he kinda whines a bit.

Gon has stubbornness and freak of nature going for him, and so far hasn't really gained my interest. 'Never-give-up personified' isn't my idea of a good lead.

I understand there is a lot to go but those are my current thoughts.

Soulflarz

Banned
Kurapika>Killua=Leorio>>Gon

Mainly cause Gon is winning on BS usually. I have strong willpower would get you killed in reality, way before now. I don't care if later down the road he gets punished for it, it's kinda a dumb idea by this point even.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So far:

I'd say this is about right. I actually like Gon a lot more going through the series this time around than I did the first time I went through the 99 anime, though.

And we haven't even gotten to the good stuff with Kurapika yet.

I do wish we had gotten a more fleshed out version of the last episode like we did in the '99 series, though. It would have been fairly helpful to Leorio's character, since in the manga and '99 series he was able to open 2 gates on his own while Kurapika and Gon could only do one. Which also helps take Gon down a peg, too. (By the way, they were training to open the gates for 20 days. I don't think this version of the episode made that clear either.)

Mizerman

Mainly cause Gon is winning on BS usually. I have strong willpower would get you killed in reality, way before now. I don't care if later down the road he gets punished for it, it's kinda a dumb idea by this point even.

With me, it's highly dependent on how much I enjoy the story and main character. If the're entertaining enough, I can let the whole willpower = everything slide. Of course, that kind of thing can get very annoying easily.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kurapika gets really compelling come time for the Yorknew Arc.

Yeah, I'm in this series for the long haul right now, but it's just... not gripping on a day-to-day, or week-to-week yet.

So far:

Kurapika seems the most thoughtful character and is my favorite of the cast. I have an affinity for smart, observant, yet considerate characters. My ranking is more set in the type of character he is more than direct contributions to the plot at large, as he hasn't really had a chance in the spotlight yet.

It's a good point, and I can give him that. But I feel like I'm looking at design scraps and a lack of compelling focal points when I see him. Completely makes him disinteresting for me, ATM.

None of the observations for the show have been really... fun(?) for me at this point? If this were an anime like "Case Closed" or "Young Kindaichi Returns", I'm either won over by the solutions being so ridiculous, only an anime character could get it, or genuinely being thought provoking. I feel like the only reason Kurapika looks smart is because everyone around him is so blunt and forceful that it makes normal thoughts look like the work of a genius.

Yeah, Gon hasn't won me over with his headstrong self like a DB Goku would. He feels like a collection of typical Shonen traits, but none of them feel like they gel for me. He's less a character, and more an archetype, personally.

-----

Week after week, this makes me wonder if I like Yu Yu Hakusho because it's really special on it's own, because it was some of the earliest anime I knew, or because the English writing punched up fairly utilitarian designs.

I want to say the fore-most, because "Smiling Bomb" is still a favorite anime OP of mine, and I genuinely like Yusuke and Co. I wanted to rent "Poltergeist Report" and play the games before it ever came on Toonami. And playing the Japanese SNES games helped me fall for the JP seiyuu work as much as the English stuff.

I feel like the only reason Kurapika looks smart is because everyone around him is so blunt and forceful that it makes normal thoughts look like the work of a genius.

Oh, you'll see how smart he is when we get to Yorknew. Right now, he hasn't been greatly motivated to show his best stuff right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom