• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Are there any FT games or movies that have been localized in America at all?

If not, then it's far below that tier.

I don't think Fairy Tail video games even exist. Even Soul Eater got a game.
EDIT: Whoa, Soul Eater got three games. One for Wii, one for DS, and one for PS2 & PSP

Though the one movie that exists (yeah, only one) did get localized.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are there any FT games or movies that have been localized in America at all?

If not, then it's far below that tier.
Games, absolutely not. There was a few for PSP & DS, but according to Wiki, that seems to be it.

There seems to be one movie, to which Funimation did localize/dub back in 2013.

If we're ranking Anime by Popularity in the West. I'd probably take this as the tier list;

Pokemon Tier: Because it's freakin Pokemon
Pokemon

S-Tier: Anime popular enough to actually bleed into Western Pop-culture
DBZ, Naruto

A-Tier: Anime popular enough that non anime fans would actually recognize the name.
Attack on Titan, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Digimon, Gundam, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Sword Art Online

B-Tier: Anime known well enough that casual anime fans have at least heard of it.
Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, One Piece, One Punch Man

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of the initial hype around AoT has cooled down a lot, especially since Production I.G wasn't able to get a second season out quicker. It's like James Cameron working on a sequel to Avatar years after everyone already stopped giving a shit about it.

If we're ranking Anime by Popularity in the West. I'd probably take this as the tier list;

Pokemon Tier: Because it's freakin Pokemon
Pokemon

S-Tier: Anime popular enough to actually bleed into Western Pop-culture
DBZ, Naruto

A-Tier: Anime popular enough that non anime fans would actually recognize the name.
Attack on Titan, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Digimon, Gundam, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Sword Art Online

B-Tier: Anime known well enough that casual anime fans have at least heard of it.
Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, One Piece, One Punch Man

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of the initial hype around AoT has cooled down a lot, especially since Production I.G wasn't able to get a second season out quicker.

Bruh, forgot Yu Gi Oh! shit was popular as heck in the west too.

Speaking of which, Next movie comes out near my birthday.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of the initial hype around AoT has cooled down a lot, especially since Production I.G wasn't able to get a second season out quicker. It's like James Cameron working on a sequel to Avatar years after everyone already stopped giving a shit about it.

Just the other day some guys in my class were very loudly talking about every single plot twist and reveal the manga has made since the first season ended.

Regiruler

I impulse bought a deck of hanafuda cards and I honestly have no idea how I got on the subject in the first place.

I've been getting way too impulsive with my buying habits and it's scaring me. Don't get me wrong I have no intention of returning it (I meticulously picked out a set by nintendo that was very similar to their club nintendo one they had, simply with the characters removed), it's just that I'm getting way too materialistic.

Biggest sign that you've made it popularity-wise is if the Simpsons reference you.

tumblr_ndrnhiARwa1st9lwdo1_500.gif

speaking of canceled animes

Remember Toriko?

no you don't

What are you talking about? Toriko never had an anime. Shame, really. It would have been awesome.

Was the Toriko anime even bad or just ignored?

No one ever talked about it.

Just kind of ignored. Toriko's anime debuted when the Anime Industry more or less crashed in NA. Toonami had been pulled from CN so there was no real consistent avenue to watch Anime on TV and streaming services like Hulu and Crunchyroll hadn't hit it big yet.

So Toriko pretty much went under most people's radar.

Ray Down

Banned
Biggest sign that you've made it popularity-wise is if the Simpsons reference you.

tumblr_ndrnhiARwa1st9lwdo1_500.gif

What are you talking about? Toriko never had an anime. Shame, really. It would have been awesome.

Homer should have been Luffy would have made more sense.

The Toriko anime was alright, it got to the part before Toriko got bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Simpsons referenced anime before it was cool.

simpsons-season-15-22-fraudcast-news-couch-gag-japanese-anime-ultraman-pikachu-g-force-astro-boy-sailer-moon-review-episode-guide-list.jpg

Ultraman, Astro Boy, Sailor Moon, Gatchaman, & Pikachu

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Every once in awhile I'll buy a game on a whim, usually from positive impressions on this site or a really cool preview video that just gets me going and it's always a game I think I'm going to play for a few minutes/hours and then put it in the background for a bit. Maybe near the top of the backlog but not the game I am intending to play regularly. Inevitably these always end up becoming the game I play obsessively.

Two years ago this was Fantasy Life, a game I literally only bought because it looked vaguely interesting and I was waiting for Bayo1/2 to download. I still haven't opened either one and went on to put about 200 hours into Fantasy Life. That game also saved me from my crippling itch to reinstall WOW.

This year it happened not once but twice. A bonus side job I do left me with an unexpected bonus of 150 bucks to add to my leisure budget, and I just happened to have three games in mind that added up to that total. Monster Hunter Generations, Zero Time Dilemma. and Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE#. Now because of how the release dates worked out I had plenty of time to beat ZTD with nothing to get in the way but surprisingly TMS ate my soul and my will to play anymore MHG for the time being, which is fine as I usually make a late generation surge with MH games anyways.

The second time, same excuse. Extra money, three games coming out in short succession. Ace Attorney 6, which I am halfway through. Dragon Quest VII, the game I intended to be playing this month and next, and surprise surprise, SMT IV Apocalypse, a game I nearly skipped because of the Atlus tax. But then a review thread of all things got me...hot and bothered for it. Perhaps it was the love of TMS and Atlus style RPGs that brought the game so clearly into focus, or perhaps it was having 50 bucks right then and there with no better use. I mean, my brain clearly told me that if I waited a year or two it would be half that price, but I bought it. I honestly intended to only play it enough to unlock streetpass (about an hour or so in) so I could rack up stuff while playing DQ VII...and I just finished the game 85 hours in.

Line_HTX

Intruder III will start on Nov. 5th and last 4 weeks.

I hope we get to know what those glowing things in the cave during the bumps are.

Seda

Intruder 3 is basically a 4 part thing for the month of November.

PreFlight also had a line-up promo (similar to last week only with Jojo added in and Parasyte removed). As well as a Toonami AMV styled music video
(using scenes that havent aired yet)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it does, then I look forward to all the people going "WHAT HAPPENED TO TOONAMI, I WAS GONE ONE WEEK & NOW TOM'S IN A DIFFERNET LOCATION!!"

Still, all depends on what show will get the marathon (plz be Jojo). I imagine most of us will just watch the first few minutes to see the conclusion, then drop out.

Grexeno

If it does, then I look forward to all the people going "WHAT HAPPENED TO TOONAMI, I WAS GONE ONE WEEK & NOW TOM'S IN A DIFFERNET LOCATION!!"

Still, all depends on what show will get the marathon (plz be Jojo). I imagine most of us will just watch the first few minutes to see the conclusion, then drop out.
JoJo won't have enough episodes for a marathon.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just kind of ignored. Toriko's anime debuted when the Anime Industry more or less crashed in NA. Toonami had been pulled from CN so there was no real consistent avenue to watch Anime on TV and streaming services like Hulu and Crunchyroll hadn't hit it big yet.

Actually it was pretty bad too.
Toei was responsible, meaning garbage animation since it's not Precure.
There was a new character that was annoying and pointless.
It was also censored HARD. Like 4Kids took their butcher knife to it.

The Toriko anime premiered in 2011, Funimation was doing streaming at that point (they've been doing it for years with One Piece). So I wouldn't really blame the industry crash for that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, TOEI really wanted Toriko to be the next big shonen series, paling it around with One Piece and Dragon Ball Z and it just never took.

Mizerman

And they tried so hard to make Toriko into the next big thing at that time.

Intruder 3 is basically a 4 part thing for the month of November.

PreFlight also had a line-up promo (similar to last week only with Jojo added in and Parasyte removed). As well as a Toonami AMV styled music video
(using scenes that havent aired yet)

And the music video was pretty good I thought. I also really love this week's Adult Swim single by Kitty, but I'm a sucker for that type of sound.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yea, TOEI really wanted Toriko to be the next big shonen series, paling it around with One Piece and Dragon Ball Z and it just never took.

And they tried so hard to make Toriko into the next big thing at that time.
Yeah, was gonna say, either Toei or Shonen Jump was trying to push it as the next big series from SJ, which probably didn't help.

They even tried doing that crossover with DBZ & OP, though I haven't seen it & I doubt it's dubbed.

Yeah, was gonna say, either Toei or Shonen Jump was trying to push it as the next big series from SJ, which probably didn't help.

They even tried doing that crossover with DBZ & OP, though I haven't seen it & I doubt it's dubbed.

Technically, the very first episode of Toriko is actually a crossover with One Piece. That's how much they were pushing it. For whatever reason, FUNi wasn't able to get the rights to that and the other crossover episodes, to my knowledge.

In other news, tomorrow is the premiere of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, so a couple of things to note:
* The first episode won't have an opening, but it will have an ending. It's possible that the first episode will show the full ending. Visually, it's pretty boring (especially compared to the endings of later JJBA seasons), but the song is "Roundabout".
* It takes a couple of episodes for the show to really get going, but that doesn't mean there's nothing interesting or bizarre.
* Not going into too much detail, but a lot of the things you'd expect from JJBA aren't actually present in Part 1, or this first series in general.
* The "You thought it was ___, but it was me, Dio!" scene is from the very first episode, for those looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom