• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
15Yfmus.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The one thing that bugs me about this part of the arc is that it's pretty clear that another turn in the hyperbolic time chamber and Goku/Gohan will wipe the floor with Cell.

It's also shameful that Vegeta/Trunks end up no more powerful than they were before. They must suck at training.

Seda

Jeanne D'arc is one of those games that's often praised, but, honestly, I think it's the single weakest SRPG I've played and I'm no newcomer tot that genre.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, game is bad and boring. It's in the period where Level 5 would make great looking games with interesting ideas but with hollow game play.

It's also shameful that Vegeta/Trunks end up no more powerful than they were before. They must suck at training.

The advantage that Goku and Gohan had is that the two literally trained together and got better results out of it. Vegeta beats his head against the glass ceiling while Trunks only ever had Gohan to train him before, and Gohan wasn't exactly an expert on fighting himself either. That and Goku was so convinced that Gohan got strong enough to defeat Cell, which he did, that he thought it would be pointless to do additional training in the HBC.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I haven't brought this up in awhile but I love how Netflix only has the first three seasons of Bleach, i.e. up until the end of the Soul Society arc. It basically pretends that nothing happened afterwards and that Bleach is an A+ anime that never got a sequel despite setting one up with Aizen and co. getting away

Raxus

I haven't brought this up in awhile but I love how Netflix only has the first three seasons of Bleach, i.e. up until the end of the Soul Society arc. It basically pretends that nothing happened afterwards and that Bleach is an A+ anime that never got a sequel despite setting one up with Aizen and co. getting away

It's a shame Bleach never picked up popularity. We could have seen what happens with Ichigo and his friends after the Soul Society!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sunlight Yellow Overdrive goodness!

*Rapidly punches the air*
GBfKNuf.gif

If there's one thing I can credit All-Star Battle, it's that Namco & CyberConnect2 puts so much dedication & effort into the presentation of their anime games. Heck, it's how I was introduced to so many Jojo characters & was how I got into checking out parts 4 & beyond since I had seen the Parts 1 & 2 anime.

I know everyone says Paper Mario: Sticker Star is bad but oh my fucking god is this game tedious and full of baffling design decisions. Why do the most useful stickers in the game take up half my inventory? Why do fights have no actual benefit and thus feel like they're just punishing me for not avoiding enemies in the field? Why is inventory management even a thing at all when everything takes up the same amount of space no matter what and the combat gives me unlimited time to find the sticker I want to use?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
And yet its also at the same time a superb adventure game with a weird RPG tacked on top.

Combat is there for you to make money to rebuy stickers when you fuck up.

Chase17

I think the most flagrant problem in Sticker Star is that it expects you to have a specific sticker for the boss fights and if you don't it is pretty much impossible.

Music in the game is pretty great though.

And yet its also at the same time a superb adventure game with a weird RPG tacked on top.

Combat is there for you to make money to rebuy stickers when you fuck up.

I'm only in like world 2 so maybe it changes later but I have like 800 coins and have bought stickers maybe twice because they seem to just infinitely respawn in the environment when you leave.

Raxus

17a4fab7f967942db92e8a766a6f06a427b85962_hq.gif

"Hey Raxus, why are you doing such MANLY posing right now? It is making us uncomfortable..."

I'll tell you why, it is because JoJo is coming to Toonami and to celebrate I made a short (spoiler free hopefully) introduction to both the history and the legacy of JoJo. So strike your favorite pose and buckle up, you are in for a bizarre ride. Let me tell you about a series that grew into a massive hit in Japan and worldwide, starting with...

The Story

JoJo follows the story of the Joestar family, an 1800's noble English family whose lives are turned upside down when a chance encounter leads to the family taking in an orphan DIO. Jonathan Joestar, known as JoJo by his friends, begins to suspect DIO may have ulterior motives when he moves in. Little does he know the results of this conflict will echo into things much much greater...

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is told in parts. Each part can feature a change of setting, a batch of new characters, and more! Toonami will air parts 1 and 2 and parts 3 and 4 are are awaiting to be fully dubbed. The JoJo manga is up to part 8 and still ongoing! This is thanks to...

The Author

Hirohiko Araki began his career in 1980 with a one off manga Poker Under Arms which nearly won a Tezuka Award for up and coming manga artists. Araki went on to write several original mangas including Outlaw man, Say Hi to Virginia, Cool Shock B.T. and Baoh. Baoh was the first series to illustrate Araki's over the top gore and one of his few serialized manga for Weekly Shonen Jump. When Boah ended Araki began to write his greatest work, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, in 1986. JoJo would become a phenomenon in Japan, selling 80 million volumes in Japan alone to date. JoJo characters were even featured in the Lourve and in Gucci ads! JoJo originally printed in Weekly Shonen Jump before moving to Ultra Jump monthly in 2005 and is currently Jump's second largest manga series.
Also he may or may not be immortal.

Why The Love?

Without going into much detail, JoJo is pure fun. I was hyped for it to come to Toonami since the 2012 anime finished airing because I knew it would make such a fun group watch. The JoJo community is great and that is thanks to the source material. Araki's willingness to upend his material once a story has run its course has kept the manga fresh for decades and it allowed him to evolve his style with the series over time. JoJo even weaves in several of Araki's favorite subjects including his love of Italy, horror movies, heavy metal and other forms of American media. It's that evolution combined with the madness that goes on in Araki's head that has made me a superfan of Araki and I hope it makes you guys superfans over time too. As the series goes on it begins to click where a lot of modern anime draws some of its inspiration from thanks to JoJo. Now get ready for a bizarre adventure!

References in other media:

P.S. A little game called Persona MAAAAAY take heavy inspiration from this series.

P.P.S Sorry My editing skills are such shite. Hope you find it enjoyable. I will edit it further and I will discuss the series in greater detail next year when I won't be as shackled by spoilers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, the battle between Goku and Cell comes to an end but things don't turn out anything like how the Z Fighters may have expected. At 12:30, we travel to 19th century England, where the aristocratic George Joestar and his son Jonathan "JoJo" Joestar agree to take in an orphaned young man named Dio Brando to repay a life debt--a decision that may prove to haunt the Joestar family for generations. It's the long, long awaited Toonami debut of Part 1 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Phantom Blood! After that, it's back to space where Kudelia addresses the people directly, Gon's team faces Killua's mother but back in the mansion Killua is summoned before his own father, Jiraiya and Pain begin their duel as Jiraiya prepares to unleash his true power: Sage Mode, it's an all out war in Thriller Bark as the assembled Straw Hat Pirates team up to do battle with the monstrous Oars, and finally Saitama decides he's going to become a hero for fun as One Punch Man reboots to close out the block.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 90 - The Opening Round Is Concluded! Goku's Moment of Decision!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 1 - Dio the Invader
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 18 - Voice
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 24 - The × Zoldyck × Family
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 131 - Honored Sage Mode!
2:30 - One Piece - 365 - Luffy Is the Enemy! The Ultimate Zombie vs. The Straw Hat Crew
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 1 - The Strongest Man

Grexeno

Episode #27 of the ToonamiGAF Podcast is now available!

Episode 27 "Cricket-mon"
In this episode we discuss where Super might end up, who could beat Cell, the epicness that was OPM's finale, Seda's true feelings on IBO, Gon's stubbornness, generic Naruto villains, and Moria's running style.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode027.mp3

Video:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode027.mp4

Timecodes:
0:01:33 News
0:17:15 DBZ
0:22:38 OPM
0:34:32 IBO
0:48:41 HxH
0:55:40 Shippuden
1:04:23 One Piece
1:08:30 Closing

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Regiruler

I feel like I heard somewhere that every character in jojo can have their name abbreviated to "JoJo" in some way. Is this accurate?

Seda

But DeMarco said everything was fine and no need to worry.

(Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you.)

I actually didn't place that October 2015 image here for the ratings listed - although that night was pretty good. Just the ratings wiki is probably the easiest place to find the schedule on any given night.

Also I didn't realize Speedwagon has the same English voice as Hisoka and Deep Sea King. Silverstein seems to be pretty versatile and does a good job based on the roles of his I've heard.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i can't wait for keijojo tonight

I feel like I heard somewhere that every character in jojo can have their name abbreviated to "JoJo" in some way. Is this accurate?
Correct. For example, our main character is Jonathan Joestar.

Edit: Well, actually, some parts break this rule.
Part 4 & Part 5, which is GioGio
, to be more exact

Raxus

Should I rename the thread for Jojo? We already used a Dio joke.

Oh, there are so many JoJo titles we can use.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| OH MY GOD! JoJo is here!
Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| Posing practice starts at 12:30
Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| Now 100% more fabulous
Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| What a beautiful mask! *Chew*
Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| Gentlemen,
vampires
, REO Speedwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom