• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

I'm concerned that Sailor Moon is so highly requested. The new show is so ugly looking. I mean, check this out:

csmoonlybff.png

ADHD has better looking anime characters in their parodies. Full disclosure, I've not actually watched beyond the first episode but it comes across like a less funny, poorly animated version of the original series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd totally be up for Fumoffu, if not for the fact I wouldn't mind an action comedy series on the block. Not that stuff like One Piece doesn't have its humorous moments, mind you, but something that's more focused on being comedic with action compared to shonen with comedy, if you know what I mean.

Attack on Titan is pretty damn funny.

So, any Fall Anime series good contenders for Toonami?
Anything Gundam is out of the question (damn you rights limbo)
Terra Formars and Parasyte would be good for the "dark as fuck" block.

Well we got shounen heavyweights Seven Deadly Sins and World Trigger. Don't know much about the latter, but the former would fit right in. It's from the Blue Exorcist director too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm concerned that Sailor Moon is so highly requested. The new show is so ugly looking. I mean, check this out:

ADHD has better looking anime characters in their parodies. Full disclosure, I've not actually watched beyond the first episode but it comes across like a less funny, poorly animated version of the original series.

It is less funny but is actually a more solid series overall then the first season of the 1990s series. Superior characterization and a lack of the monster of the week format win out over the dodgy art.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well we got shounen heavyweights Seven Deadly Sins and World Trigger. Don't know much about the latter, but the former would fit right in. It's from the Blue Exorcist director too.

From the manga:
What I've read of Seven Deadly Sins is pretty damn good
Wasn't a fan of World Trigger, found it boring and mediocre. People say it gets better but I have better things to do.

daveo42

Banned
It is less funny but is actually a more solid series overall then the first season of the 1990s series. Superior characterization and a lack of the monster of the week format win out over the dodgy art.

Yup, the show is really solid so far. Just wish that it wasn't being produced on what looks to be a shoestring budget in terms of animation. I've really liked the show outside of the animation so far.

It's too early at this point to speculate on currently airing anime for Toonami when it still has to catch up in backlogged shows from previous years like HxH, JoJo and KLK.

BELIEVE

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yup, the show is really solid so far. Just wish that it wasn't being produced on what looks to be a shoestring budget in terms of animation. I've really liked the show outside of the animation so far.

That is just TOEI, renowned cheapos of the anime world.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Plus, im pretty sure you'd have to go through Capcom licensing to get it on air.

If only there was a Dynasty Warriors anime that got on Toonami, ya'll could witness my beloved husbando Guan Yu

I suppose Toonami could always go after Kotohime Mousou.

ckohler

That's encouraging to hear if the show ever does end up on the block.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmm, I'm not making a normal DUMP tonight. I Wanted to, but I didn't get to work on the DANDY pic like I wanted to, so I think I'll spend Toonami trying to properly finish it up.

From what I saw of Sengoku Basara anime... I really didn't care for it. It felt really annoying from what I watched, and seemed to have no idea of comedic balance at all. I'd watch it if it got on Toonami though... I'm sure it get's better... right?

If Wii U Smash was out this week... now I have to watch my brother play 3DS Smash for ages while I wait to fully play it on console :-/

XuQiYAV.png

KlJcUJY.png
MzCDTVC.png
sA5NAsm.png
jMtOjSH.png

On episode 60 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, just when Anakin thinks he’s out, they pull him back in. The Son appears to him in a vision, trying to convince him to join the Dark Side (the guy grumbles about how it’s not that simple and that he’s restoring balance or something, but let’s be real here, it’s the Dark Side.) Anakin refuses, so the Son appears on their ship, kidnaps Ahsoka, and flies away as the crazy bat monster. The boys give chase. Anakin nearly crashes the ship into a big glowing tower before crashing it for real in the middle of Mordor, where Obi-Wan muses that the Son must have taken Ahsoka to the Green Eye of Sauron. Anakin wants to charge in lightsabers-blazing because that’s how a Skywalker takes care of business, but Obi-Wan thinks they should consult the Father first. Tensions run high, and Anakin storms off to the Eye. Ahsoka, in her cell, meets Gollum here, who acts friendly at first but then bites her and says she belongs to him.

6snQwDl.png
UjKe6nb.png

Obi-Wan is at a loss for how to locate the Father until the mountaintop monastery spontaneously appears right behind him. Inside, the Father chastises the Son for giving into his desires. The Son does not take kindly to this and says that he’s tired of waiting for the old man to kick the bucket. Then Force Lightning, because that’s what the Dark Side does. Somehow Obi-Wan has managed to climb the mountain during all of this, and the Father is launched out of the monastery right at his feet, to the horror of Palutena. Obi-Wan convinces her to take matters into her own hands. She takes him to a cave in the green part of the planet, where an altar is located that spits out a convenient magic dagger.

WHnoin6.png

Back in Mordor, Anakin is still climbing the tower. Yes, somehow Obi-Wan has managed to visit the monastery at the top of a mountain and travel to another part of a planet in the time Anakin has climbed this tower. To the base of this tower. Not the top, just the base. Anyways, he finds Ahsoka, who has grown yellow-eyed and veiny after her encounter with Gollum. She complains about how Anakin has treated her, which comes across as obnoxious rather than creepy, and tries to get him to join the Son before trying to cut him up with her lightsaber in a very sluggishly choreographed fight. Meanwhile, Palutena and Obi-Wan arrive to meet the Son. That’s right, Obi-Wan has now managed to come back to the tower from God-knows-where in the same span of time that Anakin has been climbing! The Son (whose voice actor is doing an impressively creepy job, by the way), informs Obi-Wan that Anakin is fighting Ahsoka, and he rushes out to assist.

QkjKOvR.png
p6ZKdVE.png

Ahsoka says, “And now the student will kill the master” in a line that makes some of Anakin’s howlers last episode look decent. Then she whines about how Anakin calls her “Snips” (which I totally agree with her about, to be fair) before Obi-Wan shows up to help kick her ass. Inside the Tower, the Son reveals that the conflict is helping him grow in power for some reason. Palutena engages him in pretty much the most boring fight ever; the Son shoots little spurts of Force Lightning at her, and she just kinda lifts stuff (there’s a reason Jedi use lightsabers to fight each other, it’s so much more fun than just the Force.) The Father arrives to break up the squabble and launches them through the window into the courtyard, where the Jedi are fighting. This doesn’t quite go as planned, as the Son quickly overpowers the Father and Ahsoka steals the magic dagger to present to the Son. He kills (?) Ahsoka by tapping her on the forehead and then says to the Father, “The Jedi have brought the dagger, and you have brought yourself” because this arc hasn’t yet met its quota of terrible lines. But as he tries to kill the Father, Palutena gets in the middle and is stabbed. The Son screams and flies away.

VB2SZi5.png
wwNO8qB.png

Palutena and her Father have a little pre-death chat as the show attempts to make you care about these characters. The Father goes on about how evil has been unleashed and the balance is broken. As he mopes, Anakin shouts that there’s always hope, which spurs Palutena to motion toward Ahsoka’s corpse. Anakin kneels between them and places his fingers on their foreheads, serving as a conduit that revives Ahsoka because apparently this is a thing that can happen. After a brief fake out because of course, Ahsoka wakes up. The Father warns that the Sith have gained strength with Palutena’s death, and that the Jedi must leave so that the Son has no means of escape.

You can't take something that has so far served as nothing more than walking, talking symbolism and expect the audience to care about it as a character. And that's where this episode fails. This power struggle is given an epic sense of weight, but it's impossible to get invested due to indifference toward these characters. The execution doesn't help, either, as the fights kind of suck, the story makes little sense, and it hinges on so many things that are never introduced until a method to progress the plot (or reverse it, in the case of Ahsoka's revival) is needed. Ahsoka's heel turn is not great, either; she stopped being annoying a while ago, but she hasn't nearly reached the point where I care all that much if she lives or dies. The only purpose it serves is to drag up the times when she used to annoy me. The episode looks nice and the concept is still ok, but that's about all you can say about it.

C

Crocodile

A) It appears today is Bass's birthday. Happy Birthday!

B) Keep Terraformers far away from Toonami, thank you very much.

C) I finally got Smash 3DS - my FC is 4854-7471-9488. Let me know if you add me so I can add you back :)

ckohler

Hmm, I'm not making a normal DUMP tonight. I Wanted to, but I didn't get to work on the DANDY pic like I wanted to, so I think I'll spend Toonami trying to properly finish it up.

No worries, SAB. I've got something planned for tonight to compliment whatever you're working on. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real thing missing last week was MikeMyers classic it's just about FMA:B time post. The real victim of the marathons.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I keep forgetting to wish ya HAPPY Birthday, Bass! So....

No worries, SAB. I've got something planned for tonight to compliment whatever you're working on. :)

*HighFiveN.InTheDATABASE!* This should be good to see!

(And I'm happy to need to get back into Log Horizon, obviously, ha.)

Happy Birthday BASS!

Moaradin

Japanese Airing

Water 7 has some of my favorite animations of any Shonen arc

One Piece animation has gone downhill
post timeskip
post a very important part

Eh, I think the arc the Japanese airing is on right now is actually the best One Piece looked in a while.

Jarate

Banned
I prefer fluid animation to a show that looks good in every still frame

That arc doesnt have the prettiest stills or art in the world, but it pays dividends with the animation being fluid as all hell

Its the reason why Ping Pong has such great animation.
i hope you're trolling

I prefer fluid animation to a show that looks good in every still frame

That arc doesnt have the prettiest stills or art in the world, but it pays dividends with the animation being fluid as all hell

Its the reason why Ping Pong has such great animation.
i hope you're trolling

I am trolling. :p But the arcs with the best animation overall is a tie between Thriller Bark and Marineford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom