• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't think i'd appreciate the customization aspects but i actually like them quite a bit.

I wish they were so annoying to unlock -.-

They got rid of two of the only characters I didn't like playing in Wolf and Ice Climbers so now I'm busy learning everyone. Played a lot with Shulk recently and I'm really feeling him.

url-17.gif

Moaradin

Who cares about Wolf but Ice Climbers was one of the veterans. Really hope they come back for the Wii U version as DLC or something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ice Climbers are annoying and hard to use. You gotta be a Newtype to do it properly. They always end up good because of it though.

7FHAYw1.png

GRlkrnb.png
tZr3mhk.png

My god, it’s full of stars on episode 59 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Ahsoka are sent to investigate a mysterious distress signal far beyond the Outer Rim, the kind that hasn’t been used in 2000 years, when Yoda was middle-aged. At the location of the distress signal, they encounter a Giant Magical Space Bipyramid. As is expected of these things, it sucks the ship inside and the Jedi black out.

uPK1pPy.png
TunO03G.png

When everyone wakes up, they realize that the surrounding environment is not what they picture when they hear “Giant Magical Space Bipyramid.” Everything is actually quite green, with grass and trees. And massive floating rocks. Upon exiting the ship, Anakin hears a voice that asks if he’s the “one.” He’s the only one who can hear this voice, but soon its owner appears: this Palutena-looking girl (Obi-Wan’s flirtatious “hello” to her is pretty great.) She introduces herself as “Daughter” but I’m going to call her Palutena. Palutena is about as cryptic as you’d expect someone called “Daughter” to be and says she’ll lead the Jedi to “Father” because he’s the only one who can help them and they need shelter by nightfall.

WOOZ0HN.png
9M3RNmN.png
vpMgbPL.png
WVhQTjd.png

As they travel along a cliff, a falling rock separates them into two groups: Anakin with Palutena, and Obi-Wan with Ahsoka. Palutena says that this is her brother’s fault and leaves, telling everyone to stay put. So Obi-Wan and Ahsoka head back to the ship, where they encounter everyone’s mental image of “Average Star Wars Villain” as night falls and vegetation around them dies. He proves to be just as cryptic as his sister and asks about Anakin. Obi-Wan and Ahsoka fire up their lightsabers (Ahsoka apparently uses two now), but with a wave of the Force the man shuts them off. Then he points out that they should seek shelter, morphs into a crazy bat monster, and leaves. Meanwhile, Anakin enters a monastery on top of a mountain and encounters a man who looks like Evil Dumbledore. This is presumably Father, and he invites Anakin to stay the night.

73IJdUm.png
4ueOga4.png

QmbjZgN.png
uNhDctY.png

Holed up in a cave with Ahsoka, Obi-Wan hears the voice of a familiar Irishman. It’s Force Ghost Qui-Gonn Jinn, voiced by Liam Neeson! He doesn’t have much to do other than reiterate the “Anakin is the Chosen One” stuff and act ominous. Then we cut to Anakin. He gets a visit from his mother, who isn’t a Force Ghost and is also voiced by the original actress. She talks to Anakin about his guilt and fears. After some unfortunate lines like “What kind of black arts is this?” and “I tasted only vengeance when I slaughtered so many to avenge your death.” and “The only love I feel in my heart is haunted by what should happen if I let go,” Anakin realizes that this definitely isn’t his mother when she starts freaking out as he talks about Padme. After a quick flash to the crazy bat monster, she disappears. Ahsoka, as a lowly created-for-TV person, does not get a visit from a past character. Instead, she has a vision of her future self, who warns that Anakin has planted seeds of the Dark Side within her and that she needs to get off the planet.

8T5jYxP.png
ZT8uzcx.png

Because visits in the middle of the night from your dead-mother-who’s-actually-a-crazy-bat-monster are not common, Anakin confronts Father with his lightsaber drawn. Father grabs it like it won’t totally mutilate his hand and shuts it off, saying that he and his “family” are ancient, forgotten people called Force Users and that the bat monster was probably his son. He goes on about how they were too dangerous to live in normal society and exiled themselves. He watches over his children, who embody the light and the darkness, and keeps them in balance. But when he heard of the Chosen One, he wanted to see for himself and…sent out a distress signal that he had no way of knowing Anakin would investigate. Anyway, Anakin says that the Chosen One is a myth, but Father begs to differ and proposes that he administer one test before the Jedi are allowed to leave. Cut to Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, who are promptly kidnapped by Palutena and the Son.

Obbaeuh.png
MxL5HtD.png

You never know when some lunatic will come along with a sadistic choice, and Father is just such a lunatic. Anakin must free his guilt by choosing to save either Ahsoka or Obi-Wan. He takes the third option: use the planet’s strong connection with the Force to attack the monsters and free his friends. Then he forces (heh) Father’s children on their knees before him. And of course, no one’s allowed to leave just yet. Father wants Anakin to replace him. Anakin refuses. He can’t stay, he’s the main character! Father warns that if he leaves, his selfishness will haunt him and the galaxy forever. Then Anakin leaves.

This episode is...ok. It tries to deal with the idea of Anakin's guilt over murdering many fools to avenge his mother, but it never feels earned because it's something we probably haven't even thought about over the course of nearly 60 episodes. The episode itself is a cool concept with a lot of nice visuals, but it feels like an excuse to have the characters just explain things directly to the audience more than anything else, which is a pretty wide-reaching problem when shows get all symbolic and metaphysical and stuff. Also, good lord did they waste Liam Neeson's return. There's actually a part two and three to this, so maybe he'll continue to show up.

B-

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
still watching one piece

still liking it

kind of getting confused about exactly what is supposed to be able to hurt Luffy or not

so, i added the opening quote and attempted to make the review shorter. i'm thinking of just going with normal font for the title cards instead of the Star Wars font

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He's practically immune to blunt trauma but can be slashed or stabbed. The guns used are muskets and therefore aren't sharp enough to break his rubber, also why canonballs aren't advised.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
He's practically immune to blunt trauma but can be slashed or stabbed. The guns used are muskets and therefore aren't sharp enough to break his rubber, also why canonballs aren't advised.

okay so that's why Commodore what's-his-face's bullets were able to make him bleed, because they were made differently

okay

also explosions kind of hurt him a little? I guess?

I mean the spear he was getting attacked with basically had explode-on-hit on it, and Luffy was okay enough to punch the spear tip to pieces.

If you see him getting hurt by Nami's punches, then it's only just a gag.

i've noticed that Comedy Girl Punches in anime basically ignore all defense

BBboy20

Ever since Little Mac was revealed to be playable, I wanted to play him. Though, so far, I seem to be sticking with Luigi since I just got the game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Beware the Batman ratings really don't matter, the show is deader than dead.

Now we just wait for the next Batman cartoon. Maybe watch Gotham.

Raxus

Tonight should be a good night.

Hellsing is back and on at an earlier time, Space Dandy stays on the block, and Luffy kicks things into second gear.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tonight should be a good night.

Hellsing is back and on at an earlier time, Space Dandy stays on the block, and Luffy kicks things into second gear.

I hope we get a video game review tonight. Just feels like the right time.

So how about that latest One Piece chapter huh?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it wrong to hope they'll air Bayonetta BF during the month of movies?
Cross promotion for Bayonetta 2! Game review AND movie showing!

I'd be up for the movie being shown. Not to mention Funimation has the rights, so that might up its chances.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What month did we get the movie annoucement last year?

Also More Build Fighters wheneve I take a break from Smash.

Bearguy? BEARGUY TRAINING MONTAGE?!? This show is sick nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom