• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The thing is, with Funi's awful output rate of dubbed episodes, Toonami may as well catch up to them.

Awful? They've been fast as shit. The only reason they aren't further ahead is because the actress that does Luffy had a kid and they took some time off. They're already advertising the release of the back half of the next arc.

The thing is, with Funi's awful output rate of dubbed episodes, Toonami may as well catch up to them.

I think they have like 80ish episodes already dubbed and officially released with another batch ready soon. In the 2+ years it'll take us to catch up they'll have 2 more years of episodes dubbed

ckohler

Which leaves one wondering how DeMarco could be "surprised" by this fact.

Sounds like miscommunication. For all we know DeMarco simply asked AS's legal to aquire the rights and handle the contract stuff and they never told him this stipulation.

I just got promoted to DSD Receiving Manager at walmart. Pay increase and a monday to friday 7-4 position where I get to be my own boss. So very excited and I should never have to worry about Toonami being impacted by work
Congrats! Glad to here you'll continue to be around on Saturdays.

I wonder if someone should (or is allowed) to post an invitation to join us thread in OT. Just to remind people we still do this every Saturday,

Gzvbb6X.gif

Okay. Somebody fucked up BIG TIME.

Grexeno

Sounds like miscommunication. For all we know DeMarco simply asked AS's legal to aquire the rights and handle the contract stuff and they never told him this stipulation.
From conversations DeMarco is having on Twitter it seems like he doesn't have access to a dedicated legal team or even person.

Moaradin

They've been pretty damn quick actually. They are a good 100 episodes ahead of where Toonami is at. Luffy's VO was on maternity leave the past few months, but it seems like they are going full force again.

For reference: Season 6, Voyage One just came out last month and goes up to episode 348. By the end of the year, they'll have up to episode 372 released. I'm sure they are a good bit ahead in the dubbing process as well.

daveo42

Banned

I'm guessing that might be a big part of this kerfluffle as DeMarco wasn't handling the contract agreements directly with content providers and instead was working through Adult Swim. I mean, while it wouldn't surprise the that he was Toonami's legal team based on their shoestring budget, I'm sure that a lot of the legal stuff was handled elsewhere and he was just copied on what was going down.

From conversations DeMarco is having on Twitter it seems like he doesn't have access to a dedicated legal team or even person.

Whelp...

mhs004

Lol I promise that I planned to watch toonami last saturday with you guys. I just got incredibly sick instead and cried in the fetal position instead. Your hommie got some questions.

1. Never watched inyuasha. Can I still enjoy the final act?
2. How is hellsing?
3. Why is being sick a thing?

Grexeno

I'm guessing that might be a big part of this kerfluffle as DeMarco wasn't handling the contract agreements directly with content providers and instead was working through Adult Swim. I mean, while it wouldn't surprise the that he was Toonami's legal team based on their shoestring budget, I'm sure that a lot of the legal stuff was handled elsewhere and he was just copied on what was going down.
Even assuming all of this, ultimately DeMarco didn't make sure that he actually had the rights to air the whole thing.

daveo42

Banned
Even assuming all of this, ultimately DeMarco didn't make sure that he actually had the rights to air the whole thing.

Depends on if the information he was getting was 100% legit and if he felt what he was being told by AS legal was legit or not. The backtrack from Funi on the rights shows there's miscommunication somewhere in the pipe. Could be all DeMarco, could be whatever legal team he's using if there is one.

Edit: this is tons of speculation to begin with, so all we really know is that someone royally fucked up over who had the rights for Hellsing and as a result Hellsing got a massive shaft. We'll see the impact of that more clearly if and when we see any sort of official response from Funi. I wouldn't bet on it being much, but you never know depending on the contract agreement.

Grexeno

Depends on if the information he was getting was 100% legit and if he felt what he was being told by AS legal was legit or not. The backtrack from Funi on the rights shows there's miscommunication somewhere in the pipe. Could be all DeMarco, could be whatever legal team he's using if there is one.
I mean, the only option left is that DeMarco/the legal team screwed up. The lack of rights to 9 and 10 HAD to be in the original contract, and Adult Swim's legal department would have to be spectacularly incompetent to miss something so major. Therefore, the only logical answer is that DeMarco himself screwed up once the details fell to him due to lack of access to professional legal advice.

Raxus

They just released the trailer for Voyage 6 part 3. I'd say they are moving at a decent pace especially considering we are only at one episode a week.

Seda

Possible the FUNimation employee(s) that handled making the agreement mistakenly told [as] that it was the OVA series in its entirety and [as] took that at face value. Of course, DeMarco should have verified it.

Anyway I'll just watch them down the road sometime, like the Black Lagoon OVAs.

Raxus

Lol I promise that I planned to watch toonami last saturday with you guys. I just got incredibly sick instead and cried in the fetal position instead. Your hommie got some questions.

2. How is hellsing?

1. It is literally the final chapters in the manga packed into 26 episodes. These episodes will be PACKED. I think you will enjoy it but you will be totally lost.
2. It feels like it was written by a 13 year old and I meant this in a good way. OP characters kicking ass and taking names tons of over the top gore. Extremely silly. If you approach the series with that mindset I think you will find it very enjoyable.
3. Hope you are feeling better.

2. How is hellsing?

InuYasha is not a terribly complicated series once you get a handle on everything, though The Final Act doesn't give you much room to do that. a lot of it is just recognizing some of the rather simple characters, though. somebody could probably do a quick summary of that.

I mean, the only option left is that DeMarco/the legal team screwed up. The lack of rights to 9 and 10 HAD to be in the original contract, and Adult Swim's legal department would have to be spectacularly incompetent to miss something so major. Therefore, the only logical answer is that DeMarco himself screwed up once the details fell to him due to lack of access to professional legal advice.

considering the legal department has had four screw-ups (Thundercats, Clone Wars, InuYasha, Batman) i don't think it's out of the question that this could be the fifth.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fun Fact: The first episode of Inuyasha: The Final Act is a bit more than 1:1 pacing. 1 volume, that is.

Also Fantasy Life is so good I didn't even notice this nonsense. No MM post yet?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
1 volume per episode seems fucking crazy. I haven't seen final act but that pacing seems too fast to me.

It's just the first episode. The rest of it is still break neck paced. Somewhere between the first ten episodes of FMA:B and DBZ KAI Abridged.

As far as the show itself? Really quite good. No awful episodes, some quite good ones. The replacement VAs for LORD SESSHOMARU and Kagome do a pretty good job, the rest of the main cast is the same. Kagome might even have a better actress this time but you get so used to the old voice that this one seems wrong (the same problem a lot of people have with DBZ Kai's Gohan)

Bio-Frost

It's just the first episode. The rest of it is still break neck paced. Somewhere between the first ten episodes of FMA:B and DBZ KAI Abridged.

As far as the show itself? Really quite good. No awful episodes, some quite good ones. The replacement VAs for LORD SESSHOMARU and Kagome do a pretty good job, the rest of the main cast is the same. Kagome might even have a better actress this time but you get so used to the old voice that this one seems wrong (the same problem a lot of people have with DBZ Kai's Gohan)

Yeah at first I hated Gohan's new voice but I've grown used to it. Still think it sounds like a wimpy luffy thou.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sounds like Final Act fixes the main problems I had with the original. Or rather, with most animes that run 100+ episodes.

Seda

"Doesn't get paid for Toonami"

Statements such as 'I'm not paid for this' or 'this wasn't in the job description' always felt just a bit awkward to me. Employment tasks can change.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds like Final Act fixes the main problems I had with the original. Or rather, with most animes that run 100+ episodes.

CUcsvZu.gif

Final Act has one opening and what feels like ten endings. In true Inuyasha fashion the opening is pretty good while most of the endings are fantastic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Final Act is extremely giffable. More so than Bleach, which I've finally decided to restart the day that Bleach ends, so that this thread will never be without it's number one show.

Levyne

Banned
Final Act is extremely giffable. More so than Bleach, which I've finally decided to restart the day that Bleach ends, so that this thread will never be without it's number one show.

d will never be without it's number one show.

>__>

>________________________________________________________________________>

>________________________________________________________________________________________________________________>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom