• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Robin and Franky in Smash

tumblr_ndvplf9MVJ1qlhx7bo3_400.jpg

Don't forget Sakura and Ino!

zpoYfcn.jpg

Zabuza

Banned
You're like, the 5th(?) ToonamiGAF member who's been affected by Dish losing Turner channels. Believe me, it sucks.

It really hurts not having any of the shows pop up on my DVR this morning. Hurts, man.

Gonna watch what I miss on Hulu and Netflix if I can.

Raxus

Akame ga Kill! - Episode 17

ibhN3F6VYsG9Hb.gif

Well......shit......

Still plenty of horrible stuff to go around. Shame we are catching up to the manga so fast. I think we will make it to one more 'major arc' and be done. Still this was a pleasent surprise this year and got me to read the manga so bravo.

With the JoJo simulcast and the dub test. It puzzles me there has been no word on an official dub since then. I assume they are working out the legal kinks of Stands and character names to avoid legal trouble. I hope the DVD releases for the series are uncensored...especially after seeing what akame ga kill! can get away with 0.0

alright i lied, some stuff took longer than i thought it would. season 4 will be begin either wednesday or thursday. i probably won't be able to do friday, either, because birthday celebrations and stuff.

Rutger

Banned
Gurren Lagann - It makes me grin so much to see you guys accepting Nia. She’s perfectly written (and voice cast) to be the charming, hopeful ray of sunshine Team Dia-Gurren needed at this point in the story. Too bad her charms haven’t actually worked on the two people who need it most: Simon and Yoko. Tune in next week for one of my favorite episodes of the series!

I am pleasantly surprised at this as well. I was afraid many would be disappointed to have her show up right after we lost Kamina.
She's the kind of character everyone needed, and I'm really glad the people working on this show made her instead of rushing out some Kamina 2.0.

I really love nearly everything about Gurren Lagann, but I know it's not without its flaws. The moe character type can be incredibly annoying in a lot of anime, so I'm happy to see that she doesn't seem to be bringing the show down for many here.

Cross Ange's trying to be Mean Girls now, but it fails because Mean Girls didn't have sexual assault in the first act that it pretends never happened.

Cross Ange's trying to be Mean Girls now, but it fails because Mean Girls didn't have sexual assault in the first act that it pretends never happened.

B-b-but sexual assault is perfectly fine if it's generic animu girls, right? RIGHT?!

So is that show worth seeing? You all say no then keep talking about it :p

It's only worth watching if you want to laugh at every bad modern anime aspect stuffed into one show.

Soulflarz

Banned
^Works for me! OP first though. Somehow just finished 159. Not feeling this whole Skypiea thing, I want Luffy to go back to arguing with the Marines instead. I've been making pretty good headway recently! (Though I'm a bit over 2 months and 20 days in...)

I'm still voting:

Toonami |Nov14| Hellsing Penultimate

This really has to win it.

Edit: So before I go to bed I'm going to ask- whats the view on Alucard? Do you guys like him as that badass with a great voice who solves everything, or do you find him to be annoying to the plot, taking away any serious risk to certain people/self on the basis hes borderline invincible?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 49

I have made my disdain for the Tree of Doom arc known previously, but since we are revisiting this arc episode by episode, one should be fair as possible in reviewing while engaging in this process. This particular episode is thematically stronger then the opening two episodes an featuring some genuinely new character development since the season began. That being said, the weakness of this episode is overall it is supremely generic affair, most of the events and circumstances could be placed in any arc of any season and basically remain the same; moreso then usual. Shibozaki is less a character and more a plot device to enforce generic pathos so that we get the iron will of Makoto. Also, modern trends have kind of ruined the scenario for me for the moment.

So here is one of the big reasons why the Mamoru amnesia subplot was not resolved in like two seconds, even though it should have. Indeed, the other big reason is to try and fail to recapture the chase of season one. Anyway, in the myriad of ways this arcs exposes itself as being a filler arc, this one is the oddest. So, we have this new persona of Moonlight Knight, and I recall watching these episode back in the younger days being really confused why the highly fungible character existed at all. As it turns out, this was one big in-joke being perpetuated by Toei as I have learned that Moonlight Knight is a pretty thin expy of one of the most important but also one of the most obscure in this day and age characters in modern Japanese fiction. More on that in a future review as this is getting pretty long as it is. I will finally note that the saddest thing here is Moonlight Knight already has a biggest moveset then Tuxedo Mask. Anyway, the episode gets a mild and harmless recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 50

On the flip side of the coin we have this episode which is very emblematic of all that is wrong with with the Doom Tree arc as we have to watch them force this insipid love quartet onto the audience with all the grace and subtlety of a drunken swan. I am reminded of one of the big reasons this arc fails is because the incest twins here are just terrible, terrible villains and it didn't have to be that way. The thing about Ail and Ann is that they have different base motivations then any other group in the Sailor Moon anime, they are fighting for survival ostensibly and they could have lead to some very interesting storylines and instead we get more warmed over generic energy draining plots that once again feel left over from last season.

I could go on about how terrible these two are, so I will as this arc progresses. Last real thing to note here is in a truly stunning display of sloppy writing
Sailor Moon's tiara stops working for literally no reason. I mean, it literally stops working and we are not even given an attempt at a rationale of this turn of events other than if she did do it the battle would have been over in five seconds. Indeed, that is another reason why this arc is kind of terrible, the Sailor Scouts already outclass the villains power-wise
Also, I was prepared to call laser tag a curious artifact of the 1980s and 1990s but I have learned it is a thing that exists and is active even over here. Anyway, mild recommendation to avoid this episode.

bigkrev

I'm so glad you guys talked me out of buying a Fire TV when it was announced

Also, I haven't been around much on Toonami nights the past few weeks because I've been dealing with health issues and Insomnia, which has led to me to having a strict bedtime routine of 12:30 AM every day for the last 2 weeks. I don't know if I should make any changes because it's been working out, but come 2 weeks from now when there is a new schedule I will probably be back to check out Kai

I'm so glad you guys talked me out of buying a Fire TV when it was announced

Also, I haven't been around much on Toonami nights the past few weeks because I've been dealing with health issues and Insomnia, which has led to me to having a strict bedtime routine of 12:30 AM every day for the last 2 weeks. I don't know if I should make any changes because it's been working out, but come 2 weeks from now when there is a new schedule I will probably be back to check out Kai
Your well-being is more important to us, dawg. You do what you have to and come back to us when you're ready.

Jarate

Banned
The low FPS of most streaming devices makes me want to hate myself

a HTPC is the way to go for a streaming device, cause that also allows you to use Big Picture Mode & Emulators very easily on the big screen along with very good media players

Don't get the stick

bigkrev

The low FPS of most streaming devices makes me want to hate myself

a HTPC is the way to go for a streaming device, cause that also allows you to use Big Picture Mode & Emulators very easily on the big screen along with very good media players

Don't get the stick

But... but... it's a piece of consumer electronics that I really don't need! I MUST HAVE IT!

and it's only 19 bucks!

Jarate

Banned
But... but... it's a piece of consumer electronics that I really don't need! I MUST HAVE IT!

and it's only 19 bucks!

19 dollars so you can stream things at 12 FPS!

My parents got this Roku like thing made by sony and man, the FPS for the streaming is bad. Makes me hate watching sports.

daveo42

Banned
19 dollars so you can stream things at 12 FPS!

My parents got this Roku like thing made by sony and man, the FPS for the streaming is bad. Makes me hate watching sports.

My thought on consumer electronics now is whether or not I already have something that does the thing that I want to buy. This reason alone is why I have yet to buy any sort of streaming box, regardless of price. Seriously, I have about 10 ways to watch Netflix right now, three of which I have on my person right now.

Jarate

Banned
My thought on consumer electronics now is whether or not I already have something that does the thing that I want to buy. This reason alone is why I have yet to buy any sort of streaming box, regardless of price. Seriously, I have about 10 ways to watch Netflix right now, three of which I have on my person right now.

I mostly use my HTPC to play emulators and play MKVs of animu

I have a boner for video quality and streaming ruins the quality of the video and audio which makes my eyes hurt.

HTPC is just the best with regards to sheer power and file type playback. Ive seen all the streaming boxes, and they all dont perform as well as my laptop does currently as my HTPC (although it sometimes has problems playing 1080p videos ;-;)

daveo42

Banned
I mostly use my HTPC to play emulators and play MKVs of animu

I have a boner for video quality and streaming ruins the quality of the video and audio which makes my eyes hurt.

HTPC is just the best with regards to sheer power and file type playback. Ive seen all the streaming boxes, and they all dont perform as well as my laptop does currently as my HTPC (although it sometimes has problems playing 1080p videos ;-;)

I have one too and it is pretty fantastic for streaming content over the network to it from my main or off the PC itself. It's not currently hooked up at the moment since my TV is connected to my main PC.

While video quality isn't nearly everything, I do love crisp/clear images from my video media. The worst is when streaming at a low bitrate because of a bad internet connection. Watching Crunchroll/Netflix over at a friend's house can be painful at times because his internet is garbage on good days.

Jarate

Banned
also, damn at those people over in the ignore thread who have 100+ ignores on this site

Ive been here for 5 years and I came close to ignoring a poster once. Like, baka, just ignore the post yourself, just skim over it or close your eyes. Like that shit is mad that you can accumulate that many ignores.

also, damn at those people over in the ignore thread who have 100+ ignores on this site

Ive been here for 5 years and I came close to ignoring a poster once. Like, baka, just ignore the post yourself, just skim over it or close your eyes. Like that shit is mad that you can accumulate that many ignores.

I don't use the ignore list. I might use a sort of "marker" system, though. Like, go through the religion/race/politics/other stuff threads and put a little red dot next to the people saying outrageous shit for future reference. We should totally have that.

I remember my first few weeks on the site some guy put me on his ignore list because he got really, really mad that I thought some of the choices being made for PlayStation All-Stars were kind of awful. That was funny. Even funnier now with how it turned out.

Jarate

Banned
I don't use the ignore list. I might use a sort of "marker" system, though. Like, go through the religion/race/politics/other stuff threads and put a little red dot next to the people saying outrageous shit for future reference.

I remember my first few weeks on the site some guy put me on his ignore list because he got really, really mad that I thought some of the choices being made for PlayStation All-Stars were kind of awful. That was funny. Even funnier now with how it turned out.

Man them Sony fanboys go in though.

Yeah, it's really that, if a person posting on the internet is causing you this much distress, then you really need to evaluate how much stock you put into forums.

also, you should just avoid religion/race/politics/other threads on gaf because they are cesspools within themselves

Honestly, without Toonami gaf, I prolly would hardly post ever

Yeah, it's really that, if a person posting on the internet is causing you this much distress, then you really need to evaluate how much stock you put into forums.

also, you should just avoid religion/race/politics/other threads on gaf because they are cesspools within themselves

oh i don't post in them, i just kind of enjoy the shitstorm.

bigkrev

Just checked... I have one person on my ignore list (
Artemisia
), and they were apparently perm'd almost a year ago.

No idea why I put them on.

daveo42

Banned

Right there with you. I do occasionally post outside of this thread, but I think I'm nearing 90% of my posts end up here.

As for OT, if you can get in early and not be a total bag or troll, there's some good discussion in some of those threads. They just end up being overrun by bags and trolls. Gaming there is almost no escape unless you migrate over the some of the active community threads well after the game has come out. The FF14 ARR thread was pretty awesome while I still played it, for example.

Jarate

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'm on several ignore lists cause I caused some hurt feelings over things I said about the Vita.

YOU TAKE EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THE VITA BACK

IT'S THE PERFECT DEVICE AND MY BABY

all it needs is an addon to add 2 more shoulder buttons and it would be the best device ever for remote play

Tenumi

Banned

Ignore list is for the weak.

Yeah... I've got no ignores now. Used to have Novid until I realized it was too much fun to read his posts. Then he got himself banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom