• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

FUNimation's New Strategy to English Dub Anime Broadcasting in Japan

Flower Mound, TX – (10/29/14) – FUNimation announced today the start of a new initiative–the FUNimation Broadcast Dub. Fans will soon be able to watch the English dubbed episodes of select shows that are currently broadcasting in Japan. FUNimation has experience with broadcast dubs, having had previous success dubbing the hit series Space Dandy for U.S. broadcast on Adult Swim. FUNimation Broadcast Dubs will be available exclusively for FUNimation subscribers commercial-free and streaming in 1080 HD.

Currently, new episodes are simulcast with Japanese audio and English subtitles shortly after the original broadcast in Japan. Once the series has finished simulcasting, final materials are received from Japan and work begins on the English dubbed home video release.

However, with this new initiative, select series will be dubbed into English using the broadcast/simulcast materials from Japan just weeks after broadcast. When asked why the company has decided to launch FUNimation Broadcast Dubs, founder and president Gen Fukunaga replied, “We know that anime fans have a strong interest in English dubs, so we are doing everything we can to get them to the fans as soon as possible.”

Following the release of the FUNimation Broadcast Dub, FUNimation will continue to produce a final English dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release, using materials from Japan’s DVD/Blu-ray release. This final version can be different from the broadcast version, including uncut footage not seen in the broadcast.

Two shows have been chosen from the current Fall 2014 season to launch the initiative–Laughing Under the Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2.

Fans will be able to watch Episode 1 of Laughing Under the Clouds in English on November 1st at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT on http://funimation.com/laughing-under-the-clouds. A new episode will be released every Saturday at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT. New episodes in Japanese with English subtitles are released every Friday at 2:28pm ET shortly after broadcast in Japan.

Levyne

Banned
I wonder if that means another "simulcast" opportunity for Toonami isn't out of the question. I don't know the details behind what allowed them to do that for Space Dandy, though.

So that big Funimation announcement was that there'll be broadcast dubs for shows currently airing in Japan. They said this was tested with Space Dandy & did very well.

Hmmm, makes me wonder if Funimation & Toonami will work out another broadcast dub in the future if it worked well with Space Dandy.

Oh shit. That's a Megaton.

This probably means faster Toonami acquisitions for hot new shows.

daveo42

Banned
Pretty big news for Funi and possibly Toonami, depending on how much they can allocate for these shows.

I wonder if that means another "simulcast" opportunity for Toonami isn't out of the question. I don't know the details behind what allowed them to do that for Space Dandy, though.

Toonami helped finance the 2nd season so it got rights to simulcast the dub on the block.

No

Amazing announcement, now just wait for something worth giving a shit to be simuldubbed

I wonder if this means it'll let Funimation get the physical releases of said shows out faster now.

Reading the release statement makes it sound like they'll wait to have the final blu ray/dvd version before doing a home release along with dubbing any uncut/new content. It might speed up the releases slightly but probably not a drastic increase.

Jarate

Banned
Anyone bere have a One Plus One invite

My phone just recently broke and AT&T completely fucked up its upgrade system

Pls halp

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reading the release statement makes it sound like they'll wait to have the final blu ray/dvd version before doing a home release along with dubbing any uncut/new content. It might speed up the releases slightly but probably not a drastic increase.
Dang, guess we gotta wait a few more years for simulcast BD releases.

I so hope Shokugeki no Soma gets picked up by Funi & it gets the simudub treatment.

Seda

Lich King chimes in

nn21rDB.png

Moaradin

Wow, that's actually a pretty cool idea. It's pretty ambitious and I hope they can pull it off. Hopefully with shows I'm actually interested in and I may subscribe.

Psycho-Pass is just one of those things that I have resigned to having to deal with on Toonami at some point.

Yep that's part of the reason I stopped watching it, too much babble for me to want to watch subbed and it seems like it'll be on Toonami sooner then later so I'll check it out then.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lich King going off

hR9cdfL.png
While I absolutely hate the term that's used to describe such people (as he used previously), I fully agree with him. I'm pretty split 50/50 on shows I prefer dubbed & subbed, with maybe a small amount where I'm fine with either.

Yep that's part of the reason I stopped watching it, too much babble for me to want to watch subbed and it seems like it'll be on Toonami sooner then later so I'll check it out then.

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes of Psycho-Pass subbed, and I stopped because there was too much techno babble and I got tired of pausing and rewinding.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I watched the first two episodes of Psycho-Pass subbed, and I stopped because there was too much techno babble and I got tired of pausing and rewinding.
Sounds similar to why I had a hard time getting into Fate/Zero. There's just shows that're much easier to watch dub than sub because of all the information being given and it's easier to hear it than read it while trying to pay attention to what's happening.

Levyne

Banned
This is what I hear about Psycho Pass

People I know: Generally really dislike it.

People I don't know: Usually love it.

So, like SAO

I haven't seen Psycho-Pass but the reviews seem to be positive.

I'd say that's more indicative of the state of anime reviews than anything else.

Sounds like Psycho-Pass is amazing then

i thought you acknowledged that Bleach's dub isn't very good?

So, like SAO

that should tell you what you need to know.

I don't see all that much difference between the quality in Psycho-Pass and the quality in some parts of Bleach.

Assuming you're talking about the dub and at least nobody is completely phoning it in from the clips I've seen, unlike later Bleach where half the cast is clearly sick of the show and is phoning it in

Sounds like Psycho-Pass is amazing then

Oh_you.jpg

So, like SAO

Probably the biggest problem with Psycho Pass is that it has no sense of subtly, it starts off in the first episode hitting you in the head with a lead pipe to beat it's main theme into your head. It also has a very GitS SAC/2nd Gig quality to it's episode structure a lot of scenes of techno babble and overly long world building scenes.

Ii thought you acknowledged that Bleach's dub isn't very good?

Pretty sure he was joking bro being that he is the big Bleach fan and you said "it's as quality as Bleach" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom