• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell no, I hate VNs without at least a bit of something else thrown in. Ace Attorney is the bare minimum of interaction I want in a game like that. 999/VLR have excellent puzzles.

The best vn I've ever played is Ever 17 and that game is 100% dialogue with occasionally option on which direct to go.

The ace attorney games work better for me then the Zero Escape games because the court and investigation segments actually develop the story, the puzzle rooms in ZE on the other hand stop almost all character development and story progression until you finish them and the puzzles are often early adventure game tier of " run around touching things until something happens or you find something, go back and repeat until puzzle is cleared". I don't necessarily have a problem with that from a design perspective in adventure games, but the ZE series are VN where you can sometimes go 30 minutes plus doing nothing but reading (very good) text. It's like reading a compelling drama/mystery/asventure book and every once in awhile someone walks up, snatches the puzzle and hands you a rubiks cube and another random brain teaser and says "solve these before you can read more"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hell no, I hate VNs without at least a bit of something else thrown in. Ace Attorney is the bare minimum of interaction I want in a game like that. 999/VLR have excellent puzzles.
Agreed. I feel like VNs, while they can have some great stories, are hard to justify spending my money on when they're basically "choose your own adventure". While I enjoy games like Ace Attorney, VLR (I'LL PLAY 999, I SWEAR, I ACTUALLY EVEN GOT A COPY NOW), and Danganronpa, which have a huge amount of text, there's still some gameplay elements & more importantly, I feel more involved with the story because I have to figure the plot/mystery out like in AA & DR.

With flat-out VNs, I feel like I should just read the manga &/or watch the anime so I don't have to keep clicking every few seconds to read, considering my reading speed. They just feel more like books. I'm not part of the ride like with other games, I'm just watching it, if that makes sense. I don't feel involved with the overall plot, save for "Choose A or B & watch what happens".

Now granted, there's SOME VNs that I might try, just because I know the stories are really good (Katawa Shojo & Steins;Gate, since that has stuff not in the anime), & I know that's the reason why people like them, but I'd rather feel like I'm actually a part of the story.

I didn't care much for Danganronpa because the actualy gameplay was mediocre. The one on ones in particular were a complete waste of time and I never enjoyed walking around the school looking for clues to move things forward. Also big middle finger to whoever decided that you'd have to absorb a statement from later in the discussion and use it to destroy an early part of the discussion, if our hero can time travel there shouldn't be any murders...

What makes visual novels different from manga and anime is that they are basically much bigger and more involved choose your own adventure books. The story is the focus of these games and if you want to add more gameplay elements do it like ace attorney where its still basically all reading.

Also Zonic I'd say you feel MORE a part of the story in a game like Ever 17 or F/SN because your choices lead the story down various different paths. I'll admit VLR fixed this slightly by incorporating a map and having the many various paths more unique then they were in 999 where it was a much bigger problem.

by the way:

01: A World with No Sadness, Baby
02: Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby
03: I Can't be the Only One, Baby
04: Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby
05: Lovers are Trendy, Baby
06: Nobody Knows the Chameleon Alien, Baby
07: Rock and Roll Dandy, Baby
08: There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
09: The Neverending Dandy, Baby
10: A Race in Space is Dangerous, Baby
11: The Big Fish is Huge, Baby
12: Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby
13: Plants are Living Things, Too, Baby

Soulflarz

Banned
I didn't care much for Danganronpa because the actualy gameplay was mediocre. The one on ones in particular were a complete waste of time and I never enjoyed walking around the school looking for clues to move things forward. Also big middle finger to whoever decided that you'd have to absorb a statement from later in the discussion and use it to destroy an early part of the discussion, if our hero can time travel there shouldn't be any murders...

What makes visual novels different from manga and anime is that they are basically much bigger and more involved choose your own adventure books. The story is the focus of these games and if you want to add more gameplay elements do it like ace attorney where its still basically all reading.

Also Zonic I'd say you feel MORE a part of the story in a game like Ever 17 or F/SN because your choices lead the story down various different paths. I'll admit VLR fixed this slightly by incorporating a map and having the many various paths more unique then they were in 999 where it was a much bigger problem.

Youve played Ever 17?

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah Ever17 is awesome, decided to play it based upon Cosmic Blizzards LTTP thread and it blew my mind

Im gonna play the 3 in order. But i need to finish Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Kai) and im only on arc 7/8. Also a lot of fun.
If murder is your thing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's a valid point. I think it's just when I play a game, I want to feel more in control of the main character and his actions. Again, a VN to me feels more like one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, like you stated. Not that it's a bad thing or anything (especially when the story is the selling point &/or they're good), but when I play a video game, I kind of want more interactivity between me & the game, which is why I feel like the games I mentioned worked since they still have a focus on story and lots of text, but I still feel involved because I have to figure out a puzzle, who did what & how, where the plot's going, etc. Though one could say that for a VN that's focused on being a mystery, like Higurashi.

Again, this is a valid point. It's part of the reason why I'm tempted to check out the Steins;Gate VN, because I know there's stuff that wasn't covered in the anime. If anything, I guess one could argue the anime (& if there is one, manga) version is more of an advertisement for the VN. Like the anime? Well there's more content in the VN version! Maybe some stuff we COULDN'T show!!

I think my main issue is that VNs tend to be rather expensive or about the same price as games I'm more interested in, and I won't replay them after I find all the endings. As much as I like AA & DR, there's just very little replay value to me, & I fear it'd be even lower for actual VNs.

Edit: I also don't HATE VNs, per say, because there's times where I want a story to be a stronger element of a game, but they're just not high on my list of preferred genres. I don't mind them, I guess. Even more so when they have an auto button to advance the text like in P4A/U, BlazBlue, & Danganronpa so I don't have to keep hitting the button.

i'd just like to say that the combination of Zonic's tag and his old avatar is fantastic
Haha, that's why I figured I'd use it again. Probably will keep it up until the end of the year. Not sure if I'll holiday-ize it for Halloween &/or Xmas.

bigkrev

I kinda want to play Ever17, but I installed DRAMAtical Murder and the translation patch a few months ago (Before the anime started!), and haven't even started that. I also bought Steins Gate when that got released a few months ago- haven't started that either.

Unless Ever17 somehow ends up on Steam or something, I'm probably never playing it

Seda

My main issue is that I don't value narrative elements in game very much, and I don't care for puzzles when they are the core gameplay rather than a side implementation.

So yeah, this is why I'm reluctant to play VNs.

Soulflarz

Banned
My main issue is that I don't value narrative elements in game very much, and I don't care for puzzles when they are the core gameplay rather than a side implementation.

So yeah, this is why I'm reluctant to play VNs.
I dont like puzzle games
I love 999.
It just has a really good story. Play it as a book not as a game i guess?

bigkrev

Didn't take my adhd mess cause I ran out, and I got a history test

I got this

I generally stopped taking in my sophomore year of college, after dropping to half a dosage (36 mg Concerta from 72 mg) in my freshman year. I get my prescription filled a few times a year, but it sucks as I need to see the doctor each and every time I want it filled

Not to offend anyone, but I'm a little surprised some of the posters here have ADHD.

I guess it's because I'm still too new and haven't interacted as much with you guys.

Jarate

Banned
Not to offend anyone, but I'm a little surprised some of the posters here have ADHD.

I guess it's because I'm still too new and haven't interacted as much with you guys.
It's not something that should really be apparent through typing though, and really, with how disjointed my posts are, it's really the only way to tell, but then that could just be a writing quirk

Soulflarz

Banned
Something something iOS version.
No, because of the twist everyone talks about way too much. The iOS version takes out the interactivity that made it good >.<
Im just saying he should play it for the story not for the gameplay, but definently shouldnt skip the gameplay entirely!

Eureka Gundam

The fuck?

2Pv7wJL.gif

Man I really want to watch this new gundamu series but I've already dedicated the next 48 hours to smash bros (and working tomorrow grumble grumble)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Smaaaaaash
Hoping to make it to the local tournament at my GS tonight. Ours isn't part of that national tournament, but the winner gets a free game of their choice or pre-order completely paid off.

...I just hope the line isn't long & that I can leave early, but I'm watching 4 kids at the moment, so I gotta wait for my dad & his gf to get home.

Soulflarz

Banned
CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOO
CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOO

My body is ready for Smash
I would be but
1) i failed a test today w/ most of my class and if he doesnt curve it im fucked :/ (why does he give the regular class the same test as the AP class with less questions. The questions are less, theyre still hard as hell >.> Just because its 2 different difficulty levels in a single room/class period doesnt mean we should get the same test erg)
2) "college interview" mockup for a communications class. For our future college interviews...
Im not even doing interviews. And worst we actually have to get critiqued by the rest of our class.

So yeah, not in the best of moods.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unfortunately for Ed, The 3DS didn't exist in FMA's time period.
Hmm, you're right, it came out in 2.11 & 3.11....

tforget3oct11.jpg

There we go.

& crap, starting to wonder if I'll be able to make the tournament or not, considering my dad & his gf aren't home yet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
episode 1 is locked now too :(

how has this not been picked up in the US yet? is Sunrise that stubborn with this franchise?

Who can say, at least Build Fighters TRY is not subject to this bullshit. On the other hand, not really rushing to watch G-Reco Episode 2 either because headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom