• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Today I once again was reading a webpage with light font / dark background , only to be met with disorienting streaks as soon as I looked away.

Perhaps it's something to do with my monitor.

Moaradin

This is a middle of the page post

I'm expecting everyone else on here to be using 100ppp.......riiiight?

Also black theme

100ppp takes too fucking long to scroll and it's even more bogged down when there's a lot of GIFs being posted.

black theme for sure though.

bkNuajE.png

ljaBuXI.png
Cie8qqf.png

It’s time to go to prison in episode 62 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Jedi Master Evan Piell has been captured by the Separatists because he possesses a MacGuffin and taken to an impenetrable fortress called the Citadel, made to house rogue Jedi. The Separatists got the place in the divorce, and they’re using it to torture Piell until he coughs up the MacGuffin. After the rescue team, which includes Anakin and Obi-Wan, is done with the mission briefing, Ahsoka shows up to call shotgun. Obi-Wan’s reaction to this can be seen above. Ahsoka kind of has a point when she calls Anakin out for letting her put her life in danger countless other times, but she has an annoying way of going about it.

WZOEuaM.png
UJ1DNeK.png

Meanwhile, R2-D2 now has a posse. He now commands three reprogrammed battle droids, painted blue in places so the audience can identify them but everyone in-universe cannot. Ahsoka’s reaction to being told she can’t come along is, “I’m telling!” and she goes to complain to Plo Koon, who is pretty much in Anakin’s corner. Obi-Wan, Anakin, Rex (the bald clone), Fives (the clone with the “5” tattoo), and the others head up to some familiar-looking machines. In order to bypass the Citadel’s life-form scanners, they need to be frozen in carbonite. You remember carbonite, right?

02R0xkT.png
lc7WfDd.png

The frozen Jedi and clones are loaded onto a ship piloted by R2 and his droids. They soon arrive in the orbit of the planet housing the Citadel, where we meet our villain: an alien that sounds like Christopher Walken with strep throat and doesn’t even try to hide the fact that he’s talking directly to the audience. The life-form scan of the ship goes off without a hitch and R2’s ship touches down in a cave outside the Citadel. The Jedi and clones are unloaded and unfrozen, but surprise! Ahsoka is there, too. She unconvincingly says that Plo Koon assigned her to the team and mentions that Anakin always tells her that following orders isn’t the only way to solve a problem.

gJFyRN6.png
Y8alnQx.png

The entrance that the group plans to use is built into a cliff and surrounded by electrified mines. With wind too strong for jetpacks and no place to shoot a grappling hook, they’re forced to climb up the cliff. As Obi-Wan reaches the balcony, some droids spontaneously pop out for a look because this sort of thing always happens. When they head back inside, they lock the door behind them with ray shields (that red, static-y stuff.) Guess who’s the only one that can fit in the ventilation ducts to get inside and open the door? Just as everyone’s home free because you-know-who was conveniently able to unlock the door, the last clone falls off the cliff and hits a mine, where he’s electrocuted and sets off the alarm before falling into the lake of yellow Metroid acid below.

4am5nuX.png
oIq8g9z.png

The group loses another clone to a booby-trapped hallway. Cut to Piell being tortured. Piell is a very short man with floppy elf ears, one eye, and a Russian accent. The group manages to bust him out of his very familiar cell just before a droid gouges out his other eye, and he reveals that he only knows half the MacGuffin. His captain memorized the other half in case either of them cracked under torture. Anakin says they need a new plan, because apparently they were just going to leave everyone else behind originally.

MNginQO.png
nICqXZV.png
sp11CcF.png
JcTUJuE.png

In the hallway, the group encounters an elite unit of droids, who dance onto the scene like guards from Goldeneye. Though they put up more fight than usual, they’re dispatched without a problem until Christopher Walken activates the magnetized ceiling, which hilariously takes not only the lightsabers and guns, but also Anakin due to his mechanical hand. He manages to grab his lightsaber and destroy the magnetization device just in time for everyone else to kill the new group of droids. Then the group enters a familiar-looking hallway housing more cells. They break out some clones as well as Piell’s captain: Tarkin. You may not know him by name, but Tarkin is the guy in charge of the Death Star in episode 4. Otherwise pretty much lacking in any distinguishing attributes, his claim to fame was being played by the late Peter Cushing. Here he is in Clone Wars, not played by Peter Cushing. Everyone decides to split up, Obi-Wan and Piell’s group creating a distraction while Anakin and Ahsoka’s group try to escape. Tarkin argues with this because, since he’s eventually a villain, he has to be a dick. Obi-Wan blows up a significant portion of the Citadel with bombs. Anakin’s group cuts through a wall and enters a cave system, where Tarkin tells him that he hasn’t earned his respect because, again, contractually obligated to be a dick.

As bad as Ahsoka's "me, too!" subplot is, it doesn't make up a terribly significant part of the episode. The rest is fun, if not particularly impressive. A few nice fighting moves here and there, but the Citadel is this weird middle ground of not being unique enough to leave a lasting impact but still different enough to be of note. I wish the show was more creative with its traps and trials (carbonite freezing was a good start that never lead to anything significant), but I'll take what I can get. The appearance of Tarkin is weird; he feels like he's just here for no reason, and his undeserved dickishness is annoying.

B-

Jarate

Banned
Today I once again was reading a webpage with light font / dark background , only to be met with disorienting streaks as soon as I looked away.

Perhaps it's something to do with my monitor.

White forums are best forums

Only people who have Sasuke wallpapers and Kingdom Hearts shirts use the black skin on this forum

People like me with my Epiduo poster and Kirito background wallpaper are the angels that this board deserves

Jarate

Banned
It's a Funimation licensed show I think so it's very likely.
Yeah, I honestly wouldnt be aurprised if the show is a hit. Ya'll should watch and spread the gospel, its got a wee bit of fanservice in it, but it's also filled with manservice too.

Reminds me of a really well done Fairy Tail so far. But hopefully the show wont go to shit, because I havent had anime feels like that since I started Ping Pong

Moaradin

I got some The Road to El Dorado vibes from it, especially with the two male leads. Very much enjoyed the tone the show has set so far. I just hope they can keep that quality because so far it's the biggest surprise of the season for me. Fate/Stay Night I expected to be great based on Fate/Zero, and Parasyte has the same level of talent behind it. This show came out of nowhere.

Crocodile

There are native English speakers voting for an original Japanese dub over an English dub for Mighty No. 9. *facepalm* *barf*

Toonami candidate 2015?

Easily if the quality keeps up. It doesn't have an IP hook like Hellsing but quality fantasy action animation of this caliber is rare from either side of the Pacific.

daveo42

Banned
Toonami candidate 2015?

I'd almost say anime of the year if it keeps up the level of story telling and animation that came with the first episode. I think this one show is going to surprise a lot of people.

All hail our f2p overlords!

tumblr_inline_ncyh81CPv21qet18t.jpg

Accurate.

That needs more blank space around the outside of the labyrinth to since he'd just turn around and run the opposite direction.

daveo42

Banned
Nice to see Smash come out this year. Now the debate on whether I should spend the extra on the adapter or not. I could use a new GC controller as well.

Soulflarz

Banned
Fuck today and last week and fuck it all :/

Seriously, unless someone dies or I lose something valuable this week isnt getting worse

Bio-Frost

This is a bit off topic but I've been at my current job for exactly a year today(Still contract though, not full time yet :( )! Before I started at Sony Bend I was working at target as a cashier for 5 years. Fuck retail.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Betting on a quad million this week.

Guess again.

ADSM 11:30 30 ATTACK ON TITAN 0.9 1,199
ADSM 12:00a 30 BLEACH 0.7 954
ADSM 12:30a 30 NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 0.6 798
ADSM 1:00a 30 ONE PIECE 0.5 621
ADSM 1:30a 30 GURREN LAGANN 0.5 623
ADSM 2:00a 60 HELLSING ULTIMATE 0.4 483
ADSM 3:00a 30 SPACE DANDY 0.4 463
ADSM 3:30a 30 COWBOY BEBOP 0.3 407
ADSM 4:00a 30 FULLMETAL: BROTHERHOOD 0.3 465
ADSM 4:30a 30 GHOST IN SHELL: 2ND GIG 0.3 421
ADSM 5:00a 30 BIG O/AN 0.3 437
ADSM 5:30a 30 SAMURAI JACK 0.4 447

Guess again.

Shut it down

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WTF, I thought the earlier time would HELP the ratings. What the hell happened at One Piece & beyond?

& Hellsing went down by about 1/2 its original viewers!! What, was the comedy too much for some people?!

daveo42

Banned
schedule shake-ups generally see a viewership decrease if i'm not mistaken

That's one hell of a shake-up, especially with the massive viewer drop off in the first half of the block.

Also appears peeps aren't down on vampires and Nazis with an insatiable bloodlust.

Guess again.

Cancel Toonami for real this time.

The dream is dead.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
schedule shake-ups generally see a viewership decrease if i'm not mistaken
It wasn't even that big of a shake-up, IMO. Space Dandy just got moved to a later time since it's re-airing while 4 other shows got bumped up an 1/2 hour early, which for a nightly block, one would assume that'd be a GOOD thing. It wasn't like the entire block got completely reshuffled.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hopefully, this is just an aberration. The line up is solid. The good shows coming on earlier. What the hell?

The big drops seem to be Bleach to Shippuden, Shippuden to One Piece, and Gurren Lagaan to Hellsing.

I'm going to assume that Hellsing is just too violent for a lot of people, even on the action cartoon block. It's far and away the most violent show of the night. Even here in the Toonami thread you can see people having "OH GOD" reactions at certain stuff. It's also an hour long, so maybe people don't feel like making the time commitment relative to other shows.

As for the Shippuden-One Piece drop, I'm not sure. Maybe people are just watching subs since the dub version is so far behind? Maybe it's just that One Piece never caught on here like Bleach or Naruto did. Maybe people don't like the art style or the more over-the-top character designs. Who knows.

I am going to go with the theory that people are tired of Shippuden's bullshit and that's why there's a drop when that comes on, but that's really me projecting my personal opinion on everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom