• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I think we'll have to come around to the fact that One Piece isn't that popular here.

I think it's more to do with compatibility and time slot than anything else. Bleach has been at midnight for years, but it almost always loses a ton of viewers from Attack on Titan before it.

bigkrev

I think it's more to do with compatibility and time slot than anything else. Bleach has been at midnight for years, but it almost always loses a ton of viewers from Attack on Titan before it.

You can count on your hand the amount of times the show following One Piece did a worse number than One Piece, no matter what it's timeslot or what it was.

Raxus

Anyone else think it is weird we will actually have a Naruto end date by next year? Only One Piece and (Kai (for now) will not have end dates.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly want to say it is down to the art style. 4kids didn't help it any, but there's plenty of people in the manga thread who didn't originally want to pick it up because of the art style but loved it when they finally gave it a shot. It goes back to what I've said before, Toonami's demographic is shallow as fuck.

Soulflarz

Banned
I honestly want to say it is down to the art style. 4kids didn't help it any, but there's plenty of people in the manga thread who didn't originally want to pick it up because of the art style but loved it when they finally gave it a shot. It goes back to what I've said before, Toonami's demographic is shallow as fuck.
Toonamis demograph is shallow? The modern anime fan loves SAO?

:p

daveo42

Banned
Not starting from episode one along with the travesty that was the 4Kids dub are mostly likely doing the show in on Toonami. Maybe a tad because of the art style as well since it is more exaggerated than most everything else that has and currently airs. Still, I'd put most of my money on starting the show off in the middle of series expecting viewer either catch up with past episodes on their own time or just flat out ignore the connections to past events.

If it was me, I would have skipped the show until I had at least caught up with it because it feels like I'll genuinely miss out on something or have the series spoiled because I didn't watch them in order.

Bio-Frost

Not starting from episode one along with the travesty that was the 4Kids dub are mostly likely doing the show in on Toonami. Maybe a tad because of the art style as well since it is more exaggerated than most everything else that has and currently airs. Still, I'd put most of my money on starting the show off in the middle of series expecting viewer either catch up with past episodes on their own time or just flat out ignore the connections to past events.

If it was me, I would have skipped the show until I had at least caught up with it because it feels like I'll genuinely miss out on something or have the series spoiled because I didn't watch them in order.

What I don't get is how this never stopped DBZ from getting big. Toonami didnt air DB untill DBZ was in the buu saga if i remember correctly. People still jumped onto DBZ without knowing any of goku's backstory or his relationships with everyone.

Guess again.

ADSM 11:30 30 ATTACK ON TITAN 0.9 1,199
ADSM 12:00a 30 BLEACH 0.7 954
ADSM 12:30a 30 NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 0.6 798
ADSM 1:00a 30 ONE PIECE 0.5 621
ADSM 1:30a 30 GURREN LAGANN 0.5 623
ADSM 2:00a 60 HELLSING ULTIMATE 0.4 483
ADSM 3:00a 30 SPACE DANDY 0.4 463
ADSM 3:30a 30 COWBOY BEBOP 0.3 407
ADSM 4:00a 30 FULLMETAL: BROTHERHOOD 0.3 465
ADSM 4:30a 30 GHOST IN SHELL: 2ND GIG 0.3 421
ADSM 5:00a 30 BIG O/AN 0.3 437
ADSM 5:30a 30 SAMURAI JACK 0.4 447

94408-Ice-Cube-HUH-wtf-WHAT-THE-FUCK-4pAG.gif

What the hell is going on here? I thought the earlier times would help ratings.

Hopefully they recover.

pyrandes

it's still gonna be like year 2023 or something

now someone less lazy than me actually do the math (making a guess at final episode count I guess)

Not a bad guess. I'm thinking 2028, assuming ~1k episodes, which may happen if they keep on the current ~1ch to ~1ep they have going currently, discounting any possible filler.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not a bad guess. I'm thinking 2028, assuming ~1k episodes, which may happen if they keep on the current ~1ch to ~1ep they have going currently, discounting any possible filler.

With an ending date they won't need to do 1-1 pacing or filler. The only reason for 1-1 pacing or filler is so that they don't catch up, with an ending date that is no longer an issue.

pyrandes

With an ending date they won't need to do 1-1 pacing or filler. The only reason for 1-1 pacing or filler is so that they don't catch up, with an ending date that is no longer an issue.

Yep. Very true. They could do the same as with Bleach or Inuyasha as well and just stop it at an arc stopping point too...
And do a 'Final Act' sorta thing (as in Inuyasha's case).

Or they keep doing 1-1 pacing with random fillers just to milk the anime for more ratings

Jarate

Banned
Schools startibg to also get in gear and.people might start becoming more responsible

Family guy could not save Toonami

Guess again.

ADSM 11:30 30 ATTACK ON TITAN 0.9 1,199
ADSM 12:00a 30 BLEACH 0.7 954
ADSM 12:30a 30 NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 0.6 798
ADSM 1:00a 30 ONE PIECE 0.5 621
ADSM 1:30a 30 GURREN LAGANN 0.5 623
ADSM 2:00a 60 HELLSING ULTIMATE 0.4 483
ADSM 3:00a 30 SPACE DANDY 0.4 463
ADSM 3:30a 30 COWBOY BEBOP 0.3 407
ADSM 4:00a 30 FULLMETAL: BROTHERHOOD 0.3 465
ADSM 4:30a 30 GHOST IN SHELL: 2ND GIG 0.3 421
ADSM 5:00a 30 BIG O/AN 0.3 437
ADSM 5:30a 30 SAMURAI JACK 0.4 447

It's dead, Jim

Jarate

Banned
I think Toonami is fine for right now, honestly, it's getting decent numbers for being on super late.

Hopefully they'll bring shows people want, like Mr Pickles to Toonami

Having a off week now and again isn't a huge deal, if Toonami started to consistently do mediocre numbers like that for more then say 5-8 weeks in a row then we'd see some real panic.

Tenumi

Banned
I've really started to not pay much mind to the ratings. Perhaps it's the loyalist in me talking, but I'll take the Toonami staff's recommendation of letting them worry about ratings to heart. After all, it's an antiqued system that doesn't really tell the entire story.

Besides, we all know MLPFIM would be the show to save Toonami.

We'll probably see Terraformars on Toonami long before we ever see Cross Ange, with any luck we may actually get a watchable anime without 90% of the screen being black due to censorship

I was being facetious btw. Cross Ange belongs in Hell

Terraformars will make for a great 2 am show so long as the home release is secured.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
World Trigger certainly isn't the savior. It sounds like Toei went the cheap-as-fuck route.

daveo42

Banned
I was told KLK was the saviour of anime last year

So who is it this year?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

KLK was good, but the story was way too much a mess for what they were going for and it had some bad pacing issues, so it didn't really save anything.

Build Fighters saved anime last year.

Space Dandy saved it this year.

I can kind of get behind this. Still haven't seen build fighters.

Space Dandy saved anime so thoroughly that I don't think we need another anime savior anytime soon.

Anime needs to be saved every year or else anime fans won't have anything to gloat about other than the size of their waifu collection. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom