• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bang Zoom.

Also THEY'RE BRINGING BUILD FIGHTERS OVER

7f3r43D.gif

I gotta be honest.

I have literally zero faith in live action anime adaptations, be they made in Japan or here.

I will admit though, there has been one or two good ones. The Phoenix Wright movie is apparently good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm way behind on Live Action, but know a bunch of people who stand by Phoenix Wright, GTO, Sailor Moon and Death Note.

kewlmyc

Tiger & Bunny is actually one of the few anime properties that will adapt fantastically to live action.

Only like 2 of the characters are Asian, the story takes place in New York, and the story is about studios turning superheroes saving people into a reality show and having each hero earning points for showboating while saving people. The heroes are also sponsored by companies and have their logos plastered all over the heroes costumes. Really interesting premise and the anime already took place in America, so it'll adapt well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd argue something like Ace Attorney or GTO is much easier to replicate via live-action, maybe Death Note as well, a show that doesn't require a lot of CGI or expensive sets & all that.

Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, etc. are much harder to get right because they're not as set in reality compared to the shows mentioned above & would require more work/money to get it "right". Dragon Ball Evolution is a good example of how they screwed up something that's rather removed from reality.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The biggest issue was that everyone in the US remembered DBZ, NOT THE ORIGINAL DRAGON BALL.

Oh yeah, there was a live-action Fist of the North Star, but I heard that sucked as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tiger & Bunny is actually one of the few anime properties that will adapt fantastically to live action.

Only like 2 of the characters are Asian, the story takes place in New York, and the story is about studios turning superheroes saving people into a reality show and having each hero earning points for showboating while saving people. The heroes are also sponsored by companies and have their logos plastered all over the heroes costumes. Really interesting premise and the anime already took place in America, so it'll adapt well.

A Ron Howard superhero movie? It's guaranteed to do well and be competently put together, at the very least.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The biggest issue was that everyone in the US remembered DBZ, NOT THE ORIGINAL DRAGON BALL.

Oh yeah, there was a live-action Fist of the North Star, but I heard that sucked as well.

It is in fact a very weird situation where the go to route of a superhero movie franchise is to start with the origin story but the only popular part of the franchise is the sequel.

The only other example I can think of that is even in the same ball field as it is how Persona is much, MUCH more popular in the west than SMT proper.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So you're telling me on the same day I was running a fever and barely got out of bed, meaning this could be some wicked insane fever dream that HxH and GBF both got dub announcements?!?

LoGH is having the novels brought over but I don't think it's being dubbed. There is stuff like Idolm@ster, Love Live, Monogatari, Gintama that is popular but not dubbed. I think Love Live and Im@s will one day become super popular here, but I'm not sure about Gintama, there was the first movie dubbed but it was a completely terrible dub. Monogatari...who knows. I imagine dubbing that would be a huge pain in the ass. Those are the big ones, I believe. Like I said the idol series have a good chance, Gintama is iffy and I don't think Monogatari will ever happen.

I'm not going to count stuff like Sazae-san for obvious reasons.

I think the ship has sailed on those two.

Don't think either of them are going to stop anytime soon. I keep thinking with each Im@s game that will be the one they localize but if the ps4 one doesnt then I give up

The stigma attached to moe characters and the idol/dance group aesthetic is what's keeping those franchises from being popular to western audiences.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With all these same week/same day translations and funimation bringing over a ton of questionable material for disc release it's never been a better time to be a western fan of some of this garbage.

The funny thing is it all comes back around to one show which took the brave step of calling out fansubbers on their bluff that if they did timely sub releases they'd stop their shit and the eventual expansion of crunchyroll into everything.

That show? Naruto Shippuden.

You know I always wanted to post here since Toonami is (mostly) about Anime.

Problem is that I live in Canada where we don't have Toonami, or 'mature' anime on Canadian television for that matter. Will Toonami-GAF accept a Canadian in it's midst?

Holy shit. There was an HxH dub announcement? Where?

Problem is that I live in Canada where we don't have Toonami, or 'mature' anime on Canadian television for that matter. Will Toonami-GAF accept a Canadian in it's midst?
We have lots of regulars who don't live in America. All are welcome.

Jarate

Banned
Hunter X Hunter, moat like Snore X Snore, amirite

Not really the biggest fan of the series but I'm glad its getting a dub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hunter X Hunter is outstandingly well animated for a show over 100 episodes. It's also got some amazing moments and is generally interesting throughout. It does have the worst first ending theme of any show ever, so bad it took me half a year to watch the second episode.

HAHAHAHAHA! A Canadian? No way.

Welcome to Toonami-GAF. Enjoy your stay and don't feed the non-canon member.

Line_HTX

Oh, hey. Welcome. Anyone from AnimeGAF can participate and yell during airings. There should be a Toonami stream if you don't have access to it on TV normally.

Life finds a way.

Also welcome. ;o

Maybe when Ocean Group starts getting dubs again. Until then, all we can do is wait.

Also glad to be here.

HAHAHAHAHA! A Canadian? No way.

Welcome to Toonami-GAF. Enjoy your stay and don't feed the non-canon member.

Indeed I come from Canada-land. A bizarre place where not even the big 3 air on television.

I'm also sorry to say that I have already fed the non-canon member on Gundam-GAF

Oh, hey. Welcome. Anyone from AnimeGAF can participate and yell during airings. There should be a Toonami stream if you don't have access to it on TV normally.

I will need to look into that stream, since I have no way of actually watching Toonami otherwise. But otherwise, glad to be a part of the community.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So my three year old nephew loves a show on Netflix called Dinotrux...and it's almost entirely voiced by people from Inuyasha.

Mizerman

Welcome.

Enjoy Toonami-GAF...I know we will.

*Insert evil laugh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom