• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I can't believe the hate E7 is getting in here. I hope it's just because you guys weren't wowed by the first episode, because pretty much the entire rest of the internet loves it. Or at least have enough fans to vastly outnumber the haters.

Gaf is weird sometimes.

I wouldn't say that. I see a lot of hate for the series around the internet and a lot of love for it. It's a weirdly polarizing series. WHY it's polarizing, I have no friggin' idea. I attribute it to the fact that the things that really make it unique only really appeal to a niche audience. The kind of person who is going to be interested in references to the work of Sir James Frazer AND simultaneously interested in awkward teenage anime romance (with giant surfing robots) is a pretty darn specific sort of person.

Edward's entrance here is the best. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lots of stuff. Here's the post I wrote about it in the anime thread earlier in the year.

Yeah, Holland's a jerk. I remember him getting a bit of a reckoning but I think it's happy endings for everyone when the show ends, can't remember precisely though. I think maybe you should have seen it through to the end though, some decisions that may not have made sense are given a bit more context.

I wouldn't say that. I see a lot of hate for the series around the internet and a lot of love for it. It's a weirdly polarizing series. WHY it's polarizing, I have no friggin' idea. I attribute it to the fact that the things that really make it unique only really appeal to a niche audience. The kind of person who is going to be interested in references to the work of Sir James Frazer AND simultaneously interested in awkward teenage anime romance (with giant surfing robots) is a pretty darn specific sort of person.
Most anime shows are niche...

and if you compare Eureka 7 to John Cena again I will kill you. I will physically kill you.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Never call Ed short. He'll takeit out on you, your subordinates/peers, and your family.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always saw Trinity Blood as SOTN Crossed with a failed attempt at the Vash the Stampede "Heroic Idiot" archetype. I'd say it was one of the least-memorable of all their shows, which is kinda sad, as I believe the Author died before the manga could be completed, or something to that effect...

I rather enjoyed Eureka in it's first run, though. I remember the final ep re-air thing! I like the fact that the older-than-14 characters are actually interesting, and developed as the story goes on, as well. It's like the show starts with a normal anime forumla, and then makes it into it's own by taking the characters in a bit bolder direction.

And kudos to Renton for actually admiting he LIKES the girl, rather than being a "Tenchi" about it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Never call Ed short. He'll takeit out on you, your subordinates/peers, and your family.

Around this part of the show though he gets pretty tall. When the timeskip to the Promised Day happens, he's quite a bit taller than Winry. Dat delayed growth spurt.

Jintor

Around this part of the show though he gets pretty tall. By the timeskip to the Promised Day happens, he's quite a bit taller than Winry. Dat delayed growth spurt.

He's already taller than Winry, I think they showed it last time they met up. I really like the way he actually, well, grows up through the series.

Ultratech

Trinity Blood was pretty interesting. Some crazy stuff in there.

Not what I'd call bad though.

You know what was THE WORST anime though? Blood+. Oh lordy lord, Blood+.

Nah, it wasn't that bad. Was pretty inconsistent on some things though, which was annoying. I liked most of its OP/EDs though.

Best thing John Cena did was be Juliet's brother, FACT!
0956b764.gif

yami4ct

But it's great

No it's not. Some of the aspects are great like the fact the author's brave enough to
Cause permanent harm to everyone's favorite Colonel Mustang
. I hate just about everything else about it. I respect you have a different opinion, though.

Jintor

FINGER GUNS

No it's not. Some of the aspects are great like the fact the author's brave enough to
Cause permanent harm to everyone's favorite Colonel Mustang
. I hate just about everything else about it.

I think your opinions are terrible
and Mustang gets his eyesight back too but he becomes beholden to Marcoh and the will of the Ishbalan remnants

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Most anime shows are niche...

and if you compare Eureka 7 to John Cena again I will kill you. I will physically kill you.

I'm obviously talking niche even within the niche audience for anime. Or do you know tons of anime fans with a great love of 19th century comparative religion?

Also, huh?

Edward's sense of aesthetics...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blood+ is the one anime I get angry with when watching, and not in an "annoyed they're dragging this out so fricking long cause it has potential" way like Bleach. It just infuriated me so much.

So it's like my version of cosmicb's E7.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FINGER GUNS

I think your opinions are terrible
and Mustang gets his eyesight back too but he becomes beholden to Marcoh and the will of the Ishbalan remnants

What? When did that happen?

I didn't like Brotherhood's ending because it effectively gave every Alchemist a free wish as long as they gave up alchemy. Sort of a cop out.

Also the fight with Father was pretty lame I thought. Not very engaging.

I'm obviously talking niche even within the niche audience for anime. Or do you know tons of anime fans with a great love of 19th century comparative religion?
I've seen tons of anime fans with a great love of Interpretive Dance.
Also, huh?
You... don't know about John Cena?

pFv2k.gif

wenhjapojhepahjnf;alfma;ofja[ojfa[fa'

yami4ct

Also, huh?

Edward's sense of aesthetics...

I don't think most people who love E7 are in it for the allegories to comparative religion. If you broke down every series into component parts and tried to venn diagram them all, Eva would be the most niche series imaginable. That series tries so hard to alienate viewers, it's surprising it's so popular.

As for E7, it certainly only appeals to a certain group of people. You have to love mech action and can deal with/actually like teenage angst.

I like your posts.

Hey thanks :D

Yeah, Holland's a jerk. I remember him getting a bit of a reckoning but I think it's happy endings for everyone when the show ends, can't remember precisely though. I think maybe you should have seen it through to the end though, some decisions that may not have made sense are given a bit more context.

Maybe someday since I've heard good things about AO, though only just getting "context" isn't exactly reassuring. I want despair, not context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom