• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

So it's an hour of Symbionic Titan, followed by an hour of Thundercats, followed by an hour of Bebop? He only specifically mentions Bebop running for an hour. Unless there are more shows to fill in the second half he didn't mention.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So in nice scheduele form:

http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=AS&theDate=10/6/12&timeZone=EST

12:00 a.m. Bleach
12:30 a.m. Samurai 7
1:00 a.m. Casshern Sins
1:30 a.m. Eureka 7
2:00 a.m. Sym-Bionic Titan
2:30 a.m. Thundercats
3:00 a.m. FMA Brotherhood
3:30 a.m. FMA Brotherhood
4:00 a.m. Ghost In The Shell
4:30 a.m. Ghost In The Shell
5:00 a.m. Cowboy Bebop
5:30 a.m. Cowboy Bebop

People have been saying for years that shows like Titan and Thundercats could make good Toonami fodder... Lets see if it proves true! Maybe those 2 won't be revived from this.... but it's good they'll get SOME respect.

Seda

So in nice scheduele form:

http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=AS&theDate=10/6/12&timeZone=EST

12:00 a.m. Bleach
12:30 a.m. Samurai 7
1:00 a.m. Casshern Sins
1:30 a.m. Eureka 7
2:00 a.m. Sym-Bionic Titan
2:30 a.m. Thundercats
3:00 a.m. FMA Brotherhood
3:30 a.m. FMA Brotherhood
4:00 a.m. Ghost In The Shell
4:30 a.m. Ghost In The Shell
5:00 a.m. Cowboy Bebop
5:30 a.m. Cowboy Bebop

People have been saying for years that shows like Titan and Thundercats could make good Toonami fodder... Lets see if it proves true! Maybe those 2 won't be revived from this.... but it's good they'll get SOME respect.

Ahh that schedule makes a lot more sense. Cool.

She suffers greatly from a problem ever present in both eastern and western media. She's an awesome, strong, female character over sexualized almost to the point of ridiculousness. I still like her, though.

In GITS:SAC, I think it's justified since she knows she's in a prosthetic body and doesn't care about modestly all too much. It's all a part of her character. Still, I can see why people get hung up on it.

And the expanded Toonami news is awesome. I just need to by a tv tuner for my PC and record everything in HD.

Jacob

Never heard of Sym-Bionic Titan before but it sounds awesome. An American-made mecha series that finished airing just last year? Color me intrigued.

Seda

Never heard of Sym-Bionic Titan before but it sounds awesome. An American-made mecha series that finished airing just last year? Color me intrigued.

Tartakovsky too. I randomly saw one episode, no idea what was going on but it seemed okay. I'm pretty Cartoon Network never renewed the show after the intial airing.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was never renewed because it didn't have enough associated toys.... Also, it's 20 episodes. New Thundercats is 26 episodes, also newer renewed for a second season.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've already seen every episode of Sym-Bionic Titan and ThunderCats 2011. Since Tartakovsky left Cartoon Network, hopes of new Titan episodes are very, very slim.

EDIT: On why Titan was cancelled, there weren't any toys to begin with! I get the feeling there was a different motive behind cancelling it.

Amikami

Banned
I think this is good news. Heard of Sym-biotic titan from somewhere but never saw a minute of it. Will see if I can watch. Man, Toonami should just take over all of Saturday. Congratulations toonami!!

Seda

I don't really understand why they would chose those two shows over old favorites like maybe Batman or Megas.

They're prioritizing shows that were never on Toonami. It was in an earlier Q/A. GitS and Bebop are kinda unique because they basically own those 2 outright.

I present to you Sym-Bionic Titan

booty-quake-it-o.gif

WillyFive

Sym-Bionic Titan being rerun with a new audience is great justice, too bad Genndy is no longer at CN to make new episodes if it suddenly picks up.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh yeah... Cartoon Network gave Tartakovsky a lot of freedom on SBT. Hence scenes like the above GIF and some rather violent monster deaths for a kids show. I remember one scene consisted of a tentacle monster forcibly shoving itself down the deuteragonist's throat as a method of torture.

These days Tarakovsky is at Sony. His works there include the animated opening to Priest (the only good part of the movie) and the upcoming Hotel Transylvania. Maybe someday he'll finish the Samurai Jack movie, or make an SBT movie that concludes the over-arching storyline they had going.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Lineup change means lots of good things.

1) More "premieres," always a good thing.

2) Fullmetal will cycle out faster at this pace. It will now cycle out only two weeks after Casshern does in November.

3) Expanding the lineup means more room for other incoming shows. When Fullmetal cycles out it might be plausible to move Eureka back into one of its slots (since it is not a newly premiering Adult Swim series) and use its current slot for an additional premiere. If something like Inuyasha: Final Act takes over for Casshern, something else that's new but a bit more esoteric could conceivably move in later in the block.

4) Non-anime shows were a vital part of classic Toonami. The East meets West clash is really at the core of the brand. The Eureka-Titan combo could be particularly interesting as different takes on the mecha genre.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think this is a much needed shakeup in the lineup and philosophy behind Toonami. Gives them the opportunity to give the block more diversity and experiment around with it a little more.

Being able to cycle through shows faster might be a better way to do things. Especially the ones that have been around for awhile.

Going forward, I'd really like to see Toonami evolve. More new shows, with dashes of the past. This new schedule is what I imagined when I heard Toonami was coming back.

ReiGun

Thundercats? Man.... :/

Also, reading the past pages, and I'm in this computer lab looking like a damn fool laughing at everyone's Casshern reactions. It's gonna be a sad day when the show is finally over.

jph139

Oh shiiiiiiiiit

I can't stay up that late!

Though frankly I can probably skip Bebop, I'm not watching FMA anyways... been enjoying GitS, though! Though I believe it's on Hulu, so I could probably tack that on at the end.

So much hype for Sym-Bionic's return, though. Even in reruns. Epic as all hell.

Fuck yeah, Sym-Bionic Titan and expanded Toonami. We'll be shakin', bakin' and booty quakin' all night long. I hope all this newness means that the block is doing well ratings-wise and that it won't be going anywhere for a long time. Goddamit, I am so psyched right now.

yami4ct

I may be the only one, but I'm really pumped to see Bebop back. It's time for my yearly re-watch of that series. If any show deserves a continuous airing from now into forever, it's Bebop. Also glad to see some western shows added, even if Thundercats is kind of a meh choice. All and all, more show spots is always a good thing. It should give Toonami a great way to cycle in old classics along with premiers, a staple of this kind of line-up.

ezekial45

Banned
That new schedule is insane! I'm happy to see Symbiotic Titan is getting another chance, sort of. I never watched it when it was on, but now seems like the perfect opportunity to do so.

So does this means that Toonami is a success?

yami4ct

That new schedule is insane! I'm happy to see Symbiotic Titan is getting another chance, sort of. I never watched it when it was on, but now seems like the perfect opportunity to do so.

So does this means that Toonami is a success?

From all the things I've heard, it's been a pretty good success. I haven't heard any ratings numbers post-DMW to 7S switch, but it sounds likely they're still strong given the expanded line-up. Pre switch, Toonami was pulling in pretty good numbers for a late-night cable hour. Those numbers were especially good for the re-runs, which tend to rate lower for obvious reasons. We can certainly take an expanded line-up as a vote of confidence. Hopefully this leads to even more acquisitions as well.

Moaradin

Toonami is expanding, slow and steady =)

I hope they'll eventually get an earlier time on Saturday though. Starting at 12am is pretty late for a lot of people.

yami4ct

Toonami is expanding, slow and steady =)

I hope they'll eventually get an earlier time on Saturday though. Starting at 12am is pretty late for a lot of people.

Sadly, I wouldn't expect it. The real ratings getters are the comedies, so the network gives them a prime slot. Even re-runs of Family Guy get as good or better ratings than the biggest of the action series. It's a sad fact of life, but unless we see a huge jump in action ratings, we'll probably have to live with the 12AM start.

Mature

Maybe the thread title could use a change given the expanded schedule?

Something like: "Toonami |OT| Now from 12:00am to 6:00am". Or something else to renew interest in people who weren't fond of the initial line-up. Though I am still fond of the Bebop reference. And right when Bebop is back seems like a silly time to switch it... but I'll throw the idea out there none the less.

Also, I can't believe that Sym-Bionic Titan gif is a real thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe the thread title could use a change given the expanded schedule?

Something like: "Toonami |OT| Now from 12:00am to 6:00am". Or something else to renew interest in people who weren't fond of the initial line-up. Though I am still fond of the Bebop reference. And right when Bebop is back seems like a silly time to switch it... but I'll throw the idea out there none the less.

Also, I can't believe that Sym-Bionic Titan gif is a real thing.

It was such a good episode. That was one show that died far too young.

I never saw Thundercats? Was it bad? Or just mediocre?

They should definitely get the rights to air Outlaw Star then they can air the hot springs episode unedited.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I never saw Thundercats? Was it bad? Or just mediocre?

They should definitely get the rights to air Outlaw Star then they can air the hot springs episode unedited.

Started out good, became boring with signs of greatness, then bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom