• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Does Sym-bionic end with any sort of closure? Knowing they'll never finish the story has me a bit hesitant to pick it up.

It gets a bit, but it's kinda rushed. The main plot doesn't but we get a decent enough ending considering. Fucking CN keeps cancelling emmy bait. Jack gets an emmy then gets canned, Titan would probably have gotten one too if it had stayed. They just hate quality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It gets a bit, but it's kinda rushed. The main plot doesn't but we get a decent enough ending considering. Fucking CN keeps cancelling emmy bait. Jack gets an emmy then gets canned, Titan would probably have gotten one too if it had stayed. They just hate quality.

Not to mention them jerking around Mystery Inc., aka their best show.

At least DC Nation seems somewhat sacrosanct and autonomous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ROSS IS BACK! Yay!

For those who don't know, she was alllmost killed early on in Brotherhood and they staged her death so she could flee to Xing.

Now she's back!

So are Brotherhood's backgrounds bad for artistic reasons or are they just bad?

Artistic reasons. I don't think they look bad at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also congrats to everyone, we made it (way) past 300 posts tonight. In fact, tonight felt more active than the past several weeks.

We'll need an OT2 within a month if the trend continues.

You would be too if you could wreck everything within your sight just by snapping.

:(

yami4ct

Especially on a kid's network, I can't really blame them. If a show isn't getting ratings, all the awards in the world aren't going to help. The kind of awesome cartoons we like as adults aren't always going to appeal to children. I wish it would be viable to set-up a block or even network to run shows like Sym-Bionic all the time. Maybe if we're lucky, that will be Toonami in a year or two. Well, at least some stuff like Avatar can appeal to both age groups equally well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Especially on a kid's network, I can't really blame them. If a show isn't getting ratings, all the awards in the world aren't going to help. The kind of awesome cartoons we like as adults aren't always going to appeal to children. I wish it would be viable to set-up a block or even network to run shows like Sym-Bionic all the time. Well, at least some stuff like Avatar can appeal to both age groups equally well.

The reason for canning Sym-Bionic Titan wasn't ratings, it was because they couldn't sell toys for it.

yami4ct

The reason for canning Sym-Bionic Titan wasn't ratings, it was because they couldn't sell toys for it.

For a kids network, toy sales are a huge part of a show's profitability factor. A show that doesn't pull in the ratings, and may loose money as a show, but sells a crap load of merchandise is still a great money getter. If a show can't do merchandising well, it needs much better ratings or a tight budget to keep it profitable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really hated May for returning to Central. Moron. :/

Although it did lead to Envy's pathetic death and Mustang going on a revenge rampage, which was pretty cool.

TAKE THAT HELMET. TAKE IT AWAY RIGHT NOW.

Lol, it does lead to the most badass Al moment in the series, so I guess it's fine. :p

Wait, didn't they avoid making toys for the show in the first place? I thought the show got canned because of some issue between Tartakovsky and the execs? Or was that just a rumor?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's that corporate greed, if you can't make extra money on the side it's not worth it.

Sounds like contemporary games publishers.

Wait, didn't they avoid making toys for the show in the first place? I thought the show got canned because of some issue between Tartakovsky and the execs?

The issue was he wanted to continue the show and they didn't. :p

(I don't know if that was actually the case. :p)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, didn't they avoid making toys for the show in the first place? I thought the show got canned because of some issue between Tartakovsky and the execs?

The issue are why he went to Sony, but they cited toys as why it didn't work. Frankly that never made much sense, they could have easily made some boss toys out of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Scar is trying to kill me!"

KuGsj.gif

The issue are why he went to Sony, but they cited toys as why it didn't work. Frankly that never made much sense, they could have easily made some boss toys out of it.

Exactly. I really don't know what goes through the minds of execs sometimes. I don't even think it's malicious at this point, it's gotta be pure incompetence.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pride is the best homunculus in Brotherhood.

Can you stop this? You've already casually talked about at least three major spoilers for this run, without marking them, in the last few minutes. This is only the second time these late episodes have ever aired in the US.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can you stop this? You've already casually talked about at least three major spoilers for this run, without marking them, in the last few minutes. This is only the second time these late episodes have ever aired in the US.

"only the second time"

That's why. It isn't the first run. GAF policy is it's OK to talk about them the minute the episode premiere's end in the US.

yami4ct

It's probably more they think kids won't get it, not realizing they're smarter than adults think.

I'm sure there are a lot more issues than we as fans could know. Maybe one side or the other was genuinely hard to work with. Maybe kids really weren't getting it. Who knows? Great things get canned sometimes. It sucks, but it happens.

Glad to hear it gets some closure. May end up checking it out if I have the time. Was never a fan of Samurai Jack, but am always on the lookout for cool mecha shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom