• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

So great. I think this Toonami line up was better than expected. Hopefully it all gets better from here.

I agree. Bleach is eh but no use complaining about it. Apparantly the next canon arc is actually not terrible but that's months away. Deadman is crazy but that's enough to keep me interested. Casshern Sins seems like the best show of the line up.

Things would get much better if FMA and GitS were either starting from episode 1 or replaced.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, those two new shows were better than I thought it would be. I'm hoping this can get the audience it needs to get a bigger budget.

sonicmj1

Snow Crash being vastly superior to GitS is a contrary opinion? What planet is this.

I really, really like Snow Crash, but what does it have to do with GitS, besides them both falling under the umbrella of cyberpunk? Their fictional futures are geared in very different directions.

Bagu

-TOM is back
-See two odd new shows
-get accused of pedophilia
-Saw Cowboy Bebop without fearing nightmares

Meh, could have been worse.
I'm out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
When they first started airing cowboy bebop, I actually didnt like it at first after the first episode. I don't remember what got me hooked though but I'm glad I stuck with it.

All the episodes are good starting points, but really: Asteroid Blues sets the tone for the series. Like I said: It makes you think "Mexico" and it being a modern western type of bounty hunting. Then you see the space ships and it's like "wait, it's actually space space!? But we're still on Earth right (nope we aren't, as we find out later that Earth is destroyed mostly)!?"

Going into space and then the woman
that wanted to get away from the life is just killed.

Haunting.

I remember watching Asteroid Blues for the first time late at night just before going to bed. It was a blast all the way through and then the ending and the final words on the screen ... it was haunting and I had a hard time falling asleep since I kept thinking about it.

Exactly. It is still the bar for opening animes (or hell, TV in general but that's a different can of worms) to me. The fact that it is it's own self-contained episode ("monster of the week," granted) while setting up the environment/background for the characters to "play" in is just amazing.

Bebop nailed it for me. But I think it's ruined anime for me because I simply can't enjoy most anime anymore while I can cut some slack for Manga since Bebop wasn't a Manga series first and so it's Manga entries are a hell of a lot weaker than it's anime output.

Jintor

I really hope they're successful enough to get up to speed again. You could see today was pretty on the low. But fuck, I missed it.

I was kind of hoping for a new long-beat promo and maybe some Peter Cullen but, you know, whatever.

SD-Ness

When I used to watch Toonami, it was an afternoon thing. There was Adult Swim on the weekends. Both played anime. But I mostly watched on weekdays.

So had they stopped both Toonami and Adult Swim up until now? As in no animen was broadcasted on Cartoon Network up until a month ago? It's been a while since I tuned in...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Things would get much better if FMA and GitS were either starting from episode 1 or replaced.

To be fair, Bebop didn't start from episode one either but it's a lot more "stand alone" outside of the Spike backstory arc. So...

(and Ghost in the Shell is a lot better if you follow the whole series, seriously. You don't need to for the anime series but it helps.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So looking at Funimation's Twitter, it seems they're pushing Adult Swim really hard to air Panty and Stocking. That means the ball is in AS's court. Wonder what the issue is.

ImLibo

When I used to watch Toonami, it was an afternoon thing. There was Adult Swim on the weekends. Both played anime. But I mostly watched on weekdays.

So had they stopped both Toonami and Adult Swim up until now? As in no animen was broadcasted on Cartoon Network up until a month ago? It's been a while since I tuned in...

Adultswim has always shown anime every saturday.

Toonami moved to Saturdays only, and Adult Swim has kept broadcasting anime every Saturday night.

Seda

To be fair, Bebop didn't start from episode one either but it's a lot more "stand alone" outside of the Spike backstory arc. So...

(and Ghost in the Shell is a lot better if you follow the whole series, seriously. You don't need to for the anime series but it helps.)

I didn't mention Bebop on purpose. I've only seen half of it (watching the rest on Toonami) but it easily could stay in the lineup no matter what episode it's showing.

Azure J

Toonami + GAF was a blast. This only proves though that with some new stuff, it can only get better. Moments of the night were definitely everything Deadman Wonderland related and Megaman Zero The Anime = Casshern Sins comparisons.

This also reminded me that Casshern is depressing as shit, but so so stylish.

Jarmel

Banned
Deadman Wonderland, Bleach, and Brotherhood.

Come on. DMW is not a kid's show by any stretch of the imagination. Just because it suffers from shit plot and underdeveloped characters doesn't make it a kid's show.

This does not make a show better than the other. Surprisingly it's the show itself that matters!

Also, BONES D Studio is not "C-tier production team" -- the letters have nothing to do with their quality, only their date of forming.

As for this, the original source(the manga) is infinitely better than the original series on multiple levels. The fact that Brotherhood stuck to it meant on a plot level at the very minimum, Brotherhood demolishes the original.

Well ToonamiGAF, this was wonderful. I'm so happy that it got brought back, and even moreso that we got two very promising new shows along with it.

See you next week! :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Toonami had stopped completely a few years ago (it had moved to Saturday evenings before Adult Swim, and then even that ended). Adult Swim has still been going and showing anime, however. This new Toonami is essentially a rebranding of the Adult Swim anime block, with some new shows and the insinuation that, if it's successful, the future of the block will include a combination of new and classic series.

Here is your Toonami schedule for next week:

June 2, 2012:

12:00 - Bleach - 256 - Infuriated Byakuya! The Collapse of House Kuchiki
12:30 - Deadman Wonderland - 2 - Antidote (Candy)
1:00 - Casshern Sins - 2 - A World Replete with Death Throes
1:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 33 - The Northern Wall of Briggs
2:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 18 - TRANS PARENT
2:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 16 - Black Dog Serenade

Come on. DMW is not a kid's show by any stretch of the imagination. Just because it suffers from shit plot and underdeveloped characters doesn't make it a kid's show.

The manga is even gorier than the anime and it is in a magazine aimed at young boys.

But demographics really don't matter in Japan. There's shounen with graphic rape and there's seinen that's all flowers and love.

Cranzor

I've never seen any of the shows and I liked all of them except Bleach. I just wish all of them started at the first episode. Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins were much better than I expected and I loved Cowboy Bebop. Ghost in the Shell and Full Metal Alchemist were also entertaining. I had a friend with me and he had a blast as well. Can't wait for next week. I really hope Toonami is successful.

joe2187

Banned
Bleach?

It's episode 255.

And it's a filler (written by animation studio, as opposed to adapted from comic format by a single author/artist)

255 episodes? filller? Why so many episodes, how many seasons has this show had? If it's this bad why does it continue?

So much I don't understand.

I was still enjoying Bleach, the last canon material they showed on Adult Swim.

I decided not to watch the filler, because I hate how Bleach fillers are so obvious.

They just pause two characters fighting in the real story and start a new story arc that doesn't fit anywhere in the series timeline.

But that really ends up being Kubo's fault with his pacing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
255 episodes? filller? Why so many episodes, how many seasons has this show had? If it's this bad why does it continue?

So much I don't understand.

Bleach ended in Japan at episode 366.

Bleach started off pretty well and had a GREAT arc (at least for the type of series it is) that took it to episode 63 or so. It's been all downhill from there.

The manga is still ongoing in Weekly Shounen Jump and is apparently in its final story arc (which will probably take a couple years to wrap up).

The short of it is the manga series was really popular, though that popularity has been starting to decline of late. The anime series, however, is terrible. It frequently has to interrupt the main plot to go on loooooong (and terrible) filler story arcs in order to allow the manga to build up enough content to continue adapting. It's really a mess of a show.

Kusagari

I hear the actual comic writer is lazy as fuck also.

So I bet this is some sort of Fillerception.

There's enough stuff in the average Bleach chapter to cover like 5 minutes of an anime at most, and that's with dragging stuff out. The horrible pacing is why it's always in filler.

zero_suit

I've never seen any of the shows and I liked all of them except Bleach. I just wish all of them started at the first episode. Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins were much better than I expected and I loved Cowboy Bebop. Ghost in the Shell and Full Metal Alchemist were also entertaining. I had a friend with me and he had a blast as well. Can't wait for next week. I really hope Toonami is successful.

Watch Bebop from the beginning. It's one of the best shows period (anime/non-anime).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, the next few MONTHS of Bleach are going to be filler, too.

They won't get back to canon material until August at the earliest.

joe2187

Banned
But why waste time, money, talent and effort on producing something this bad?

Cant they just make a season whenever new content is created in the manga? or are they worried that they will lose interest in the show too quickly?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Cant they just make a season whenever new content is created in the manga? or are they worried that they will lose interest in the show too quickly?

Shounen anime doesn't really go by "seasons". It pretty much runs year-round, with short breaks every so often.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty much that. A franchise like Bleach is a money making merch machine. They need it on all the time. Good, bad, doesn't matter too much as long as it's there.

Some of the stretches of filler have been a full year in length, so we're not talking about insignificant stretches of time. (The filler arc we're currently on in the Adult Swim/Toonami run began back in November 2011, so we're talking about 9 months worth of filler in this particular batch.)

Kusagari

The thing that should be noted is that Bleach's money making status in Japan has been going down, which is why they probably stopped making the anime for now.

Though I think that's far more attributable to the manga than the anime filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom