• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say that I was completely impressed with Casshern, but it's only the first episode. I'll give it another shot next week, since it wasn't bad.

Time to turn off the TV for now. I've already seen all of Brotherhood, and I don't like Bebop.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Bleach sucked so bad.

Deadman Wonderland or whatever was entertaining. I liked what I saw.

Casheern or whatever it is was decent.

Overall, I've enjoyed what I have seen of it.

FMA Brohood is next. That's always great.

I actually plan on watching Fullmetal Alchemist sometime in the future, so I'm gonna shut out for the night.

I'll definitely be back for next week.

Moaradin

I've always wanted to get into Brotherhood. Shame Toonami had to continue from where AS left off instead of starting it over. Definitely can't get into it 30 or so episodes in.

What the hell man!

I just don't like it. I could never get into it, and people hyping it up sure as shit wasn't helping matters.
I've always wanted to get into Brotherhood. Shame Toonami had to continue from where AS left off instead of starting it over. Definitely can't get into it 30 or so episodes in.

If you don't mind subtitles, Funimation has the entire series up on their Youtube channel to watch, free of charge.

Item Box

After watching Casshern Sins again(this time in english), it doesn't seem as boring as I originally thought. Pacing still looks kinda slow for me though.

Missed out on the other shows, and not going to bother with Brotherhood continuing from episode 36. There's always next week, I guess.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Thanks, but I definitely would prefer watching the dub. I could never get into subs. Besides, the dub for FMA was pretty good so I'm sure this one is good as well.

but look at all the dub episodes in the link :(

So I made a manual 3 hour recording on my DVR for Toonami. Thought I'd catch up on my shows recorded earlier so that I could watch Toonami and skip the commercials/unwanted shows. Figured it wouldn't be as fun as April because we knew what was airing. I kinda regret it now. It was a lot of fun reading this whole thread.

Deadman Wonderlan: Wow this show is CRAZY! The concept is just so ridiculously absurd. My sister and I were taken aback just by how brutal it is. Not to mention our disbelief at how quick they were to convict a boy of a brutal murder. If it's a 12 episode series, we might stick around though just to see how things pan out. But I dunno, my sister seemed to be on the verge of tears, and I'm just not a fan of brutal gore myself. For those who've seen the series, PLEASE tell me there's some kind of resolution and explanation.

Casshern Sins: I actually watched the first 5 or so episodes of this series fan-subbed. I actually WON a copy of the complete series on Blu-Ray from a little TvC contest Capcom Unity put on, but never got around to watching it. Great to finally see it here. Great to finally see, but I dunno, like a lot of other people say, I think having two dark, depressing series next to each other was a really bad move :/

I have to say though I was thinking TvC the whole time too, and if Capcom ever makes a TvC sequel or HD port, and they decide to add a bunch of English dialog ala MvC3, I'd love to see them get Eric Vale. Just from the first episode, I'm loving his Casshern voice already. Speaking of which

Well, he WAS my main in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

There's a LOT of Casshern influence in Mega Man. Rush Jet and Rush Marine? Taken from Friender Jet and Friender Marine? Not to mention those robot wolves in MM2. Even the Rush Drill from Marvel vs Capcom comes from the Friender Tank.

I'm too lazy to find or scan a picture, but in one of the MM Complete Works (can;t remember if it's Classic or X) that has a little Inafune sketch of an X/Casshern Hybrid character. Neat stuff.

-Ghost in the Shell: Yeah THIS episode and THAT line were awesome. I hadn't seen GitS in AGES. Really fun show. Like Young Justice, it really blends the drama/action quite well (though might push the philosophical stuff just a bit). But speaking of Comic book cartoons. It was a real blast to hear the Major's voice, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, doing a very similar character, Abagail Brand, in Avengers EMH a few weeks ago. She totally channeled the Major there. She's really awesome as Hilda in Outlaw Star too.

Deadman Wonderlan: Wow this show is CRAZY! The concept is just so ridiculously absurd. My sister and I were taken aback just by how brutal it is. Not to mention our disbelief at how quick they were to convict a boy of a brutal murder. If it's a 12 episode series, we might stick around though just to see how things pan out. But I dunno, my sister seemed to be on the verge of tears, and I'm just not a fan of brutal gore myself. For those who've seen the series, PLEASE tell me there's some kind of resolution and explanation.

Some stuff gets explained, other stuff doesn't. The thing is, it's an unfinished adaptation of an ongoing manga that is currently on hiatus (but is still in its endgame). I think where the anime ends is a good stopping point, but there's still a bunch of open plot threads that have only been resolved in the manga.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Well, Greg Ayres is the voice actor of the main character in Deadman Wonderland, so I guess I won't be watching this again. I just can't stand his voice. Hope folks watching it for the first time enjoy it. Still, it was great to watch Toonami again. Tom and his reviews are still as awesome as ever.

The group of people I watched it with enjoyed deadman wonderland, and had a mixture of reactions to casshern that leaned towards negative. The small girl got a lot of hate. The excessive repeating of his name also got made fun of. We were pretty confused as to what was going on, which manifested in some people (myself included) as curiosity to keep us watching.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, Greg Ayres is the voice actor of the main character in Deadman Wonderland, so I guess I won't be watching this again. I just can't stand his voice. Hope folks watching it for the first time enjoy it. Still, it was great to watch Toonami again. Tom and his reviews are still as awesome as ever.

His voice here definitely is a bit grating, he's trying too hard to sound 12 or whatever. On the other hand, him in Ghost Stories was awesome. Didn't mind him in Ouran.

Between Ayres trying to sound 30 years younger and the annoying nekkid chick I don't know how much of DMW I'll be able to stomach, which is a shame since it's an intriguing premise.

Line-up is solid in retrospect. I would've preferred all new shows (look at the life - and unexpected LOLs - DMW/Casshern brought to this thread), but Bleach/FMA bring in the dough and CB/GITS bring in the smart marks cred I guess.

I would've replaced Bleach with Death Note though. Had that show been marketed better in the States, it could've had the potential to set the anime landscape alight. That weekly edge of my seat goodness, I'd never seen anything like it and (until Breaking Bad) nothing even came close to capturing that escalating level of tension and intrigue.

Ultratech

Japan tends to censor video games way more strictly than anime, where blood is concerned. Not sure why.

Yeah, they're pretty weird about that.

Some examples:
No More Heroes has all the blood replaced mostly with a black ash-type of stuff.
Dangan Ronpa actually recolors all of the blood Pink (which is a bit off-putting at first).
Resident Evil 4 doesn't show decapitations or various other portrayals of gory death.

Orayn

So Deadman is only 13 episodes, right? Wonder what they'll replace it with when it runs its course? My friend says they're gunning for One Piece, but that Toei wants an outrageous amount of money for Funimation to keep dubbing it.

So Deadman is only 13 episodes, right? Wonder what they'll replace it with when it runs its course? My friend says they're gunning for One Piece, but that Toei wants an outrageous amount of money for Funimation to keep dubbing it.

FUNimation is already releasing in the 200s, so I don't really think continued dubbing is the problem. I imagine that Toei (and FUNimation) probably would want a lot of money for the TV rights, which might be more than the Toonami budget can afford right now.

Seda

My guess? Start over at episode 1.

It'd be great if they picked up One Piece.

Funi's already dubbed 1-205 so they'd be set for quite a while.

Dresden

It'd be nice if Toonami can continue to pick up somewhat more obscure series (even if they are of questionable quality like DMW) to introduce to the viewers here. The idea of watching endless reruns of Bebop or FMA isn't that appealing to me.

Jintor

Do you think FMA would be able to feasibly be moved to a weekday afternoon slot if they ever got that capability back, or is it just too serious to be moved?

I think it's one of the perfect transitional animes between pure shonen and more seinen stuff...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Between Ayres trying to sound 30 years younger and the annoying nekkid chick I don't know how much of DMW I'll be able to stomach, which is a shame since it's an intriguing premise.

Shiro isn't naked, and you might want to stick around for the crow

I'm paying attention to the airings of these shows as well. Casshern Sins I have on blu but enjoy rewatching it. While generally dour in tone, I dig the look of the show (I was a Battle of the Planets kid) and primary characters develop well over time. And note that the little girl Ringo can seem intrusive in the first ep, but is better balanced with the rest of the cast after that. And I favor Funi's Eng dub for this one even more so than usual over the jp dub. Eric Vale (Casshern) and Brina Palencia (Lyuze) especially.

Deadman Wonderland sounds interesting, partly simply because it is something I have yet to sample. I have it on the dvr for later. I'll see later how Greg Ayres works here, from experience I thought he fits well with appropriate leads, such as Seikichi in Oh Edo Rocket...even though I preferred episodes focusing on other characters in that show such as Ginjiro.

I really wish I could stand Colleen Clinkenbeard's Luffy. I like everyone else's character but I can't stand her take on Luffy. It's like they fixed everything from the 4Kids dub except that. They stuck with the scratchy, throaty Luffy. I would much prefer a good dub over subs. Makes watching shows with friends easier. Plus I wouldn't have to see "nakama" ever again.

Do you think FMA would be able to feasibly be moved to a weekday afternoon slot if they ever got that capability back, or is it just too serious to be moved?

I think it's one of the perfect transitional animes between pure shonen and more seinen stuff...

Toonami apparently has no chance to move to an afreenoon timeslot according to twitter :(

I don't think they should even try to move to weekdays. They would burn through their stock pretty fast. Once a week is good enough.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it's been said, but I can't believe Cowboy Bebop still gets good enough ratings to justify showing it. Unless they just have the license and it's really cheap for them to fill a slot or something.

Great show, I love it to death, but it's been on air so many times you'd think anybody interested would have seen it a few times through by now since it's only 26 episodes, and I don't even think they show one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom