• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrakanox

I would really prefer them to NOT put One Piece on there. There is a lot of anime that I would love to watch, i'm pretty lenient when it comes to anime (unless it's ultra moe). But I don't think I could stand watching One Piece every saturday.

Moaradin

1-3am is probably way too late for weekdays. Best we can hope for is that Toonami does well enough that it can take over earlier time on Saturday.

1-3am is probably way too late for weekdays. Best we can hope for is that Toonami does well enough that it can take over earlier time on Saturday.

That is not going to, no way it can get any time before midnight, no way CN is going to push shows they make and own out of there time slots. Remember CN makes all the merchandising and DVD sales off there shows, with anime they don't.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it's been said, but I can't believe Cowboy Bebop still gets good enough ratings to justify showing it. Unless they just have the license and it's really cheap for them to fill a slot or something.

Great show, I love it to death, but it's been on air so many times you'd think anybody interested would have seen it a few times through by now since it's only 26 episodes, and I don't even think they show one of them.

Bebop still draws pretty good numbers given its timeslot, yeah.

That said, it's a show they love. They're never giving up the rights as long as they have a choice. It is THE original Adult Swim anime and one of the entire block's main raisons d'etre. Cowboy Bebop was intended for Toonami in the first place but they decided it couldn't pass standards, so they needed a late night block for it. Combine that with a couple of comedy acquisitions like Home Movies and some of the out there stuff that Williams Street was already doing like Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast, and you have the birth of the original Adult Swim. So it's kind of the heart of the block. (And yes, they do show all of the episodes. They only skipped episodes in the show's first broadcast run in 2001-2002 because of 9/11. Stuff like the Teddy Bomber episode.)

Heard that pretty much all the shows from last night were trending on Twitter, with Deadman Wonderland reaching #1 worldwide. Not bad. Not bad.

As far as One Piece goes, as much as I would love to see it, I don't think it's feasible without a weekday block. At one episode a week, you're looking at 20+ years of broadcasting to catch up, and that's assuming it ends within the next 8 years or so in Japan, which is probably unlikely. It will likely clock in at over 1000 episodes by the time it's done, or triple the entire length of the Bleach anime (which has already been running on Adult Swim for nearly 6 years and has at least 2+ more to go to catch up, assuming no further interruptions to its premieres). I don't see how they could possibly run it. Even showing 2 episodes a week would still take nearly a decade to catch up, and I don't know how well an hour of One Piece (especially really old hours of One Piece) would be able to hold up in the ratings over the long haul.

Kusagari

Yeah, One Piece is just too long. And starting a gigantic shonen now is different than Bleach, which has been going on forever anyway.

I'd much rather they air something like the new Hunter x Hunter anime, even though I think it's worse than the old one, or Toriko.

Unfortunately, Toriko still has no dub and the new HxH anime isn't even licensed.

With Toonami being only weekly at the moment, I definitely don't want any big shonen anime. Stuff like Deadman Wonderland is fine, as it's a short series.

Suairyu

Banned
This has probably been posted already, but here's all the Toonami Intros/Outros from last night. I don't have cable so I went searching for these. Pretty cool. My favorite thing about Toonami is how awesome it makes the shows look in the promos by using select scenes/lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9EfSg5elg
What's with the white robot/steampunk-ish logo segements? They look really out of place.

Also Tom 3.0/.5 is ugly. Better than the 4th one, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cartoon Network is probably more than happy with their afternoon lineup, whatever it is.

More than that, I think it's mostly because everyone who worked on and wants to work on Toonami is now part of Adult Swim. None of those people probably want to go "back" to CN. Besides that, with adult-oriented programming there isn't the pressure of having to sell action figures or whatever.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I hope Deadman Wonderland gets all the attention it deserves. Maybe that way we'll actually get to see it reach it's conclusion. How depressing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope Deadman Wonderland gets all the attention it deserves. Maybe that way we'll actually get to see it reach it's conclusion. How depressing.

It deserves it the story gets interesting and stuff fall into their places(most of it). Also all that Gore and crazy animation should be experienced. Make Season 2 Damnit!

Never heard of it until i watched it this morning (recorded it with the dvr). What a way to start a show, holy shit. I'm ready for more

I would really like to see One Piece on Toonami, but I agree that a weekly schedule would kill it. Even just the Funimation dub so far has more than 200 episodes.

That's probably why Toonami's ratings sunk the first time it was moved to Saturday nights. Shows like Naruto, One Piece, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho need weekday slots, at least in America.

sphagnum

Banned
What's with the white robot/steampunk-ish logo segements? They look really out of place.

Also Tom 3.0/.5 is ugly. Better than the 4th one, though.

They're reused clips from the Tom 3.0 Saturday night days. The only new CGI were the opening, some "And now back to..." bumps, the game review, and I think one or two shots of the Absolution. Williams Street is working on a shoe-string budget for the new Toonami, hence why no classic shows (licensing issues or too expensive), no Peter Cullen, no SARA, and reused stuff.

What I'm hoping is that, if the momentum can be sustained with controversial splitters like DMW and (to an extent) Casshern, Cowboy Bebop and GitS get to stay while Bleach and FMA:B get the boot. Then, assuming they can pay for the rights from whoever, getting a new show like Gurren-Lagann, Mononoke, or anything else with enough interesting elements to it would help increase the flow of ratings, along with more reviews, new bumps, and the return of Peter Cullen and the snazzy promos that helped to define Toonami.

This may be a rebranding of the old anime block, but Toonami was always a brand-cum-frontend to begin with, and this is sure-as-hell better than the old block that practically no-one watched.

Kusagari

What I'm hoping is that, if the momentum can be sustained with controversial splitters like DMW and (to an extent) Casshern, Cowboy Bebop and GitS get to stay while Bleach and FMA:B get the boot. Then, assuming they can pay for the rights from whoever, getting a new show like Gurren-Lagann, Mononoke, or anything else with enough interesting elements to it would help increase the flow of ratings, along with more reviews, new bumps, and the return of Peter Cullen and the snazzy promos that helped to define Toonami.

This may be a rebranding of the old anime block, but Toonami was always a brand-cum-frontend to begin with, and this is sure-as-hell better than the old block that practically no-one watched.

There is absolutely zero chance they get rid of Bleach.

789shadow

Banned
Sadly, One Piece probably just isn't feasible for weekly Toonami. There's just SO MANY EPISODES. I just wish the Funimation dub would get on TV to remove the stench of the 4Kids dub.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They could always air two episodes in a row of One Piece, it wouldn't be a completely groundbreaking move. But yeah, one episode a week isn't going to fly. It's different for Bleach, which is only two or three seasons behind the Japanese show. But there's like a decade's worth of One Piece to burn through.

Then again, I guess DBZ was in a similar position... but I imagine the internet has changed the landscape considerably.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems likely Bleach will easily outlive Toonami at this point, no matter how long Toonami actually stays around. :(
Who says they can't get rid of it? How much does it contribute to the overall percentage of ratings the block receives? And if it's not actually that integral anyhow, why not just move it below shows that are more interesting and catch people's attention more?

I feel like I'm being left out of the loop here, since those two posts aren't helping out at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Who says they can't get rid of it? How much does it contribute to the overall percentage of ratings the block receives? And if it's not actually that integral anyhow, why not just move it below shows that are more interesting and catch people's attention more?

I feel like I'm being left out of the loop here, since those two posts aren't helping out at all.

Bleach is probably the most watched anime currently airing on American television (by a fairly large amount), and it's been that way for several years.

Take that out of Toonami and I wouldn't be surprised if ratings halved.

DMW doesn't really seem to be much of a controversial splitter. Everywhere I've looked, it's getting a positive response. Casshern seems to be more hit or miss actually.

Bleach is probably the most watched anime currently airing on American television (by a fairly large amount), and it's been that way for several years.

Take that out of Toonami and I wouldn't be surprised if ratings halved.

DBZ Kai is higher.

It seems to me that, on GAF at least, that opinions on the show have been divided for the most part. That may not be the case with this opening episode, but I've heard that it gets more janky later on, or perhaps the opposite.

It seems to me that, on GAF at least, that opinions on the show have been divided for the most part. That may not be the case with this opening episode, but I've heard that it gets more janky later on, or perhaps the opposite.

It got a lot of hate in animegaf, but animegaf is animegaf. If you like the first episode, you're going to like the whole series (minus the ending), and a lot of people here and elsewhere liked the first episode. In fact, I think it was the only show that was trending on twitter while airing (correct me if I'm wrong), so it really could end up being pretty successful.

Seems like it, though I only trust my own opinions, just taking other's recommendations as suggestions and not as gospel. I'll get caught up on the first ep and watch the rest from now on, because I wasn't able to watch the block last night.

Seda

It got a lot of hate in animegaf, but animegaf is animegaf. If you like the first episode, you're going to like the whole series (minus the ending), and a lot of people here and elsewhere liked the first episode. In fact, I think it was the only show that was trending on twitter while airing (correct me if I'm wrong), so it really could end up being pretty successful.

For US trends, every show ended up trending during their run, and some during the rerun. Bleach, Deadman Wonderland, Casshern sins, FMA, GitS, and Bebop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom