• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For US trends, every show ended up trending during their run, and some during the rerun. Bleach, Deadman Wonderland, Casshern sins, FMA, GitS, and Bebop.

Ah, I guess that means nothing then. I just saw it on the AS twitter, but not the others, so I made a big-ass assumption.

Definitely curious to see the ratings.

Ah, had forgotten about that. Makes CN's move to pass on it all the more dimwitted.

I think Naruto Shippuden also had pretty good ratings before Disney decided to not tell anyone when it was on.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Did Shintoki go back to read the reactions to people who never got to experience the awesomeness of Deadman Wonderland?

Why yes he did. Such hot trash. Hah

Wonder how many OTs we'll be burning through, if we ever get any more anyway. This first showing will probably have the most pages of all, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Mature

I think what meant in the tweet is he'll be getting the ratings. At which point, he'll give some indication of how it went, outside of actually providing numbers.

I think what meant in the tweet is he'll be getting the ratings. At which point, he'll give some indication of how it went, outside of actually providing numbers.
[adult swim] posts them the following week on Sunday between 11 and 1. Forgot the exact time.

EDIT: Between 11:25-11:30 for one and 11:55-12 the other.

Shit. I was in NYC last night. Definitely won't miss this next week.

If you care about the shows at all and not just Tom doing stuff, you might want to watch the first episode of Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins before next week. Everything else is in the middle of something.

Cranzor

I found a video (here) of Steve Blum talking at a convention about the cancellation of Toonami from 2009. He's such a cool guy. I bet he's thrilled that Toonami is back on the air. You can tell from that video, his Twitter page, and the fact that he is doing Tom's voice without pay that he genuinely loves doing Toonami.

Preble

Damn, I hope this new Toonami finds a good audience and they can then increase the budget. There's a lot of potential here for something cool.

Wish [adult swim] would avertise the block outside of Saturdays though. Anyone see that Toonami promo tonight on TV?

It's not like it's a real pain for him to voice TOM at this point: the voice is completely natural to him, and the only difficulty involved is going over to Williams Street to get a good recording done. He's making a pretty good salary, otherwise.

Makoto

I found a video (here) of Steve Blum
Nice. Been watching beyond the Toonami question and Steve Blum is a really good interviewee. His David Carradine story made me sad. :(

Also, /mindblown

I'm watching Gurren Lagann right now and I had no idea he voiced Leeron.

Edit: I loved his response to a question in part 4 about recording Bebop. Little prior knowledge about the series beforehand, none of the show's elements such as music to support him, no fellow actors to work off of. Just his talent and the guidance of a good director. I feel a lot of dub actors often get too much flak for what's ultimately poor efforts by the directors to get them into the proper mold.

Cranzor

Nice. Been watching beyond the Toonami question and Steve Blum is a really good interviewee. His David Carradine story made me sad. :(

Also, /mindblown

I'm watching Gurren Lagann right now and I had no idea he voiced Leeron.

Yeah, I ended up watching the whole panel because he's fun to listen to. Another funny thing he mentioned is that he never watched Cowboy Bebop all the way through until 2008. It's weird to think he did such a large role in the show and he hadn't watched it for that long. He said he really enjoyed it though!

Yeah, I ended up watching the whole panel because he's fun to listen to. Another funny thing he mentioned is that he never watched Cowboy Bebop all the way through until 2008. It's weird to think he did such a large role in the show and he hadn't watched it for that long. He said he really enjoyed it though!

That's crazy considering half of his casting directors probably ask him for his "Spike voice."

Until they realize that's just his voice

Lijik

Its too bad he doesn't record at Williams Street purely for the selfish reason that itd be rad to bump into Steve while he's in town recording.

Of course I knew that. This is Toonami, and this made him famous even before Bebop came around.

One anime I'd like to see make a big comeback on Toonami: Trava Fist Planet. It'd need to be dubbed, but I'd imagine that getting the rights from a now-defunct media publisher (Grasshoppa!) and from the creators wouldn't be too difficult. They could start showing off recent obscure series like these to spice up the schedule in the future, anyhow.

Of course I knew that. This is Toonami, and this made him famous even before Bebop came around.

One anime I'd like to see make a big comeback on Toonami: Trava Fist Planet. It'd need to be dubbed, but I'd imagine that getting the rights from a now-defunct media publisher (Grasshoppa!) and from the creators wouldn't be too difficult. They could start showing off recent obscure series like these to spice up the schedule in the future, anyhow.

If they air Trava Fist Planet, then they need to air REDLINE

Yep. Maybe they could even air the pilot? Any material from the Ishii-Koike union would be great to feature on the new Toonami. Redline and Trava are two of the most creative anime productions ever made.

Airing those could be the movies and OVAs they show every once in a while like Blue Sub No. 6, Endless Waltz, the Cowboy Bebop movie, and Read or Die. Just something to break the monotony and showcase some new anime. Hell, they could even air AKIRA

There's a lot of recent stuff that would be interesting to show off—like Mind Game, the Lupin TV specials (and Red Jacket Lupin for that matter), Dead Leaves, Genius Party, etc.

There's a lot of recent stuff that would be interesting to show off—like Mind Game, the Lupin TV specials (and Red Jacket Lupin for that matter), Dead Leaves, Genius Party, etc.

Oh I was providing examples of what they have shown before except for AKIRA. They can also show Sword of the Stranger

wildfire

Banned
Yeah, One Piece is just too long. And starting a gigantic shonen now is different than Bleach, which has been going on forever anyway.

I'd much rather they air something like the new Hunter x Hunter anime, even though I think it's worse than the old one, or Toriko.

Unfortunately, Toriko still has no dub and the new HxH anime isn't even licensed.

Recent One Piece is garbage because instead of making filler arcs they just pad out episodes with inane stretches of nothing happening or repetition of the same lines over and over again. The last 60 episodes easily could have been condensed into 30 because of all the stupid padding.

One Piece up to the band splitting up was really good but after that it has gotten into pacing problems.

Long running series that I think would be great on Toonami are Monster and Moribito especially the first one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Monster would be the kind of series that could would complement Bebop well. But I'm uncertain about the age range for this Toonami. How gored-out are GitS and DMW?

GitS, not all that much (EDIT: I think? Could be wrong here).

DMW...well, if the first five minutes of the first episode are any indication of the gore level of the rest of the series...pretty damn gored out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom