• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT| Want to hang out and waste your night with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
They're reused clips from the Tom 3.0 Saturday night days. The only new CGI were the opening, some "And now back to..." bumps, the game review, and I think one or two shots of the Absolution. Williams Street is working on a shoe-string budget for the new Toonami, hence why no classic shows (licensing issues or too expensive), no Peter Cullen, no SARA, and reused stuff.
My statement about the white robot/steampunk-ish logo being really out of place stand.

And if they're reusing CG, shoulda gone with 2.0!

Hiltz

It would be nice to see some new movies like Red Line and maybe even of the Justice League films like League of Doom and Crisis on Two Earths . Although, it seems like they'll just be focusing on anime. :(

Anyway, I was surprised by how bloody Deadman Wonderland is. It's not like we're used to seeing this on Adult Swim's lineup as far as anime goes. It makes me wonder if Toonami could get a hold of Hellsing Ultimate even though its still not finished. I guess we'll have to stick to most of the currently old lineup for now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No actual exact numbers just yet, but the ratings report for Toonami is really promising. Haven't seen them list this many anime shows in the general ratings notes in god knows how long. Even just a Bleach mention is a rarity.

Bleach - #1 in its time slot among adults 18-34 & 18-24 and men 18-34 & 18-24
Deadman Wonderland - #1 in its time slot among adults 18-24 and men 18-34 & 18-24
Casshern Sins - #1 in its time slot among men 18-34 & 18-24

The full report:

Adult Swim
Across May 2012, Adult Swim ranked as television’s #1 network for Total Day Delivery of young adults 18-34 & 18-24, as well as men 18-34 & 18-24. In Prime Time, Adult Swim also ranked #3 among basic cable networks for delivery of adults 18-34. In a month dominated by NBA Basketball, Adult Swim programming still accounted for 5 of the top 50 telecasts of the month on basic cable among adults 18-34.

Among Adult Swim original programming, Eagleheart (Thursdays, 12 a.m.) and Metalocalypse (Sundays, 12:15 a.m.) ranked #1 in their respective time periods among all adults 18-34, 18-49 & 18-24, and men 18-34 & 18-24. Similarly, American Dad (Fridays, 10 p.m.), Loiter Squad (Sundays, 11:30 p.m.) and Bleach (Saturdays, 12 a.m.) each ranked #1 in their respective time periods among adults 18-34 & 18-24, and men 18-34 & 18-24.

The series premiere of Deadman Wonderland (Saturday, May 26, 12:30 a.m.) was #1 in its time period among adults 18-24 (up 14% vs. the 2011 time period), men 18-34 and men 18-24 (up 2%). Immediately following, the series premiere of Casshern Sins (1 a.m.) ranked #1 in the time period among men 18-34 & 18-24.

Source

No actual exact numbers just yet, but the ratings report for Toonami is really promising. Haven't seen them list this many anime shows in the general ratings notes in god knows how long. Even just a Bleach mention is a rarity.

Bleach - #1 in its time slot among adults 18-34 & 18-24 and men 18-34 & 18-24
Deadman Wonderland - #1 in its time slot among adults 18-24 and men 18-34 & 18-24
Casshern Sins - #1 in its time slot among men 18-34 & 18-24

The full report:

Source
YEAH! :D

survivor

Banned
Yeah, if these ratings aren't getting him excited then this thing is dead in the water sadly.

Assuming they do actually need to double the ratings to count it as a success then I don't see what else they can do. Unless there is some miraculous word of mouth, their ratings won't increase magically.

ezekial45

Banned
He did say that it was all about the long game, and not something that would be decided in a week. It just needs to stay stable enough for a long time. Which is a tall order, since it's saturday night. It makes you realize why they stuck with the plain bumps and image cards for the AS Saturday night block for so long. Because they were super cheap.

I would say advertise, but it's not like they can do much with the budget they've been given. I guess they'll just have to rely on word of mouth, but it probably wouldn't change much from premiere night :/

le.jpg

Amazing how reality can set in.

Like I said on Saturday, the real test is what the ratings are in Week 3-4.

They must have ridiculous expectations at Williams Street. Seriously: these are great ratings—if they can be maintained well-enough, I'd see no issue with funding the block and its staff further. At this point, without much advertising to speak of, the best people can do is go by word-of-mouth and hope for the best. These levees better hold!

They must have ridiculous expectations at Williams Street. Seriously: these are great ratings—if they can be maintained well-enough, I'd see no issue with funding the block and its staff further. At this point, without much advertising to speak of, the best people can do is go by word-of-mouth and hope for the best. These levees better hold!
If they're not that different than last week no, they're not. Do you know what the ratings were last week?

Just how the hell is a block that starts at 1AM supposed to perform better than that?

The thing is your compare it to what was there before.

When TeenNick did there 90's block at midnight the ratings increased a huge amount over what was there. Remember nick didn't even spend a lot of money on it most of it was intern work. They just paid Kenan some money, aired shows they owned and called it a day.

With this you have to pay for animation for Tom, Tom's voice and new anime licenses instead of the previous reruns of anime(yes the new block has reruns too) and basic adultswim bumps.

So to see this as a success it needs to get higher ratings then what was before.

It's got higher ratings than what the anime block was getting previously, that much we can infer. What matters is how high Adult Swim feels the ratings need to be for the block to be deemed "successful", enough so to guarantee further support.

Mature

It's got higher ratings than what the anime block was getting previously, that much we can infer. What matters is how high Adult Swim feels the ratings need to be for the block to be deemed "successful", enough so to guarantee further support.
DeMarco did say roughly double. For what it's worth.

BTW these were the ratings the week before TOONAMI aired:

Bleach - 321k
FMA: B - 288k
Bleach (4 am) - 192k

Those aren't real good at all, though Bleach is in filler that apparently isn't real good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ouch. Glad you're still with us. My bathtub would be red all over if I watched the whole thing...

DJ88

Well Jason confirmed that the ratings only come from Nielsen. I already figured it was that way, but it still kind of annoys me that the support I and thousands of others are showing by watching is basically for nothing. For some reason I just don't picture many people with Nielsen boxes being hyped up about Toonami.

Well Jason confirmed that the ratings only come from Nielsen. I already figured it was that way, but it still kind of annoys me that the support I and thousands of others are showing by watching is basically for nothing. For some reason I just don't picture many people with Nielsen boxes being hyped up about Toonami.
... it's been that way for over 10 years on [adult swim]. How do you just know this now?

DJ88

... it's been that way for over 10 years on [adult swim]. How do you just know this now?

I've never payed attention to ratings until now so it's all new to me. I recently learned about the Nielsen boxes and so on and I pretty much knew that's how they'd measure Toonami's ratings, but still, I guess I kind of foolishly kept hoping they were counting our viewership some other way. Oh well, is what it is and I'll keep tuning in every week.

Chris R

I'll just tune in when Deadman Wonderland starts, only new show (well, new to me) that I'd want to actually watch every episode of from last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom