• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it furry if it's some fish reptile thing?
I forgot what Monten was, but the mom... yeesh.
Has a giant sword through his body, asks if he's alright. Moron. Also, oddly feelsy moment from such minor villains.
1) Most demons seem to have super healing factors.
2) People forget that in the character development part of InuYasha there were alot of feels, even with the villains. That's why the bishies flocked to the show.

Many fans have observed that the dynamic between the Thunder Brothers is similar to that which would be observed in a homosexual couple; thus, there is a growing movement among fans to view the Thunder Brothers as a controversially incestuous relationship. This has neither been confirmed nor denied officially, though there is speculative speculation.

Seda

I've never seen Inuyasha before. I like what's I've seen so far.

Many fans have observed that the dynamic between the Thunder Brothers is similar to that which would be observed in a homosexual couple; thus, there is a growing movement among fans to view the Thunder Brothers as a controversially incestuous relationship. This has neither been confirmed nor denied officially, though there is speculative speculation

Yeah..................................... I didn't see this at all.

And that's the end, InuYasha is pissed he showed emotion over Kagome and Shippo's perceived death, and Shippo joins the crew.

1st time I made it to the end of TOONAMI. Nice.
You'll like the first 35-40 or so eps. before stuff really bogs down. How do I know? I taped all 167 or so episodes that aired in the US starting 10 years ago...

I'm old.

Cranzor

I fell asleep before Tenchi Muyo GXP ended so I missed pretty much everything and I don't think I have a way of watching any of it. Hopefully I'm not completely lost next week.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I fell asleep before Tenchi Muyo GXP ended so I missed pretty much everything and I don't think I have a way of watching any of it. Hopefully I'm not completely lost next week.
Most of the shows should be up on adultswim.com during the week. What isn't can probably be found elsewhere.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it furry if it's some fish reptile thing?

Their parents were both full demons, so it was just a Demon x Demon relationship. One just happened to look much, much more human than the other.

You'd think the fact that some Demons have forms that look SO HUMAN would lessen the "Stupid Half-Breed!" stuff at times, but that rarely seems to factor in.

I enjoy Inuyasha personally. But I generally like Rumiko Takahashi's works. They might try a bit hard to keep the "Infinitely Confused Love!" and "Stupid heros who can't see whats right in front of their face!" style tropes going at times, but I think it's great to watch how their relationship actually shifts. An unfortunately realistic depiction of immature relationships of youth...

Also, I really like it's story arcs. They feel like they do exactly what real arcs should; introduce new characters and areas, while still letting the main stories develop. However, I like the "lets focus on the non-main cast" episodes. Even the badguys feel like they tell a decent backstory, and the show goes a far way to making even the most "evil" villans somewhat sympathetic, even bigbad Naraku.

Well-painted shades of gray are appreciated. The "Surprise! THEY HAD A HEART AFTERALL!" style, like done in Bleach, feel much more forced.

Me neither. They just seem like loving brothers.

There's no point to him being there. He's just the comic relief guy and Miroku is infinitely better at that.

Shippo rounds out the show to a larger audience. Just like how Kagome's little brother Sota gives a few random fans someone to cheer for around their age level (and the occassional excuse for a Conan Edogawa reference). And girls like "cute" things, and the story and designs are by a woman...

I liked how Shippo would occassionally say something suprisingly insightful, too. He's way, way more tolerable and useful than, say, Soi Fon's useless leutinet in Bleach. He and Miroku don't really compare, as neither of them offer a "universal" comedic effect. Each would wear out their welcome far sooner, if they were the ONLY comedic devices in the show.

Looking back, I really like the amount of asymmetry in Inu Yasha. A lot of harsh, stern characters paired up with relatable, more human ones; They actually COMPLIMENT each other. Like how Rin made it easy to see Sesshomaru in a new light, even different than the one Jaken shines on him. And Shippo serves to show that all full-demons aren't just flat 100% human-hating / eating balls of conceit, which really helps in these early "Half demon and Pure Human VS Snobby Full Demons!" episodes.

Even though the show has a lot of faces in it's history, I don't think any of them feel as wasted as the unfortunate ones in something like Bleach or Naruto. Backstory was REAL backstory, not just replays of old animation over and over. And everyone got to do something useful, and star as a legit central character VS appropriate opponents.

I've really got to watch Final Act one of these days. Would like to see it "Fresh" in TV airings...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Inuyasha is either a love it or hate it thing. It bogs down at times, but character interaction is always fun to watch and it always has some great fights. I rather enjoy it personally, though I wouldn't marathon it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I actually rather like early Inuyasha for what it is, especially the earliest ones that are just Inuyasha and Kagome.

The big problem is that NOBODY in the main protagonist camp gets any kind of development at all in the series with the exception of Inuyasha himself, and even that sort of comes and goes. (And outside of the protagonists, the only other characters who get development are Sesshomaru and Kagura.) The series also gets extremely repetitive, and the dialogue is some of the absolute worst in any shounen series, which is hardly a genre renowned for its tight scripting. Almost the entire script after a certain point in the series follows the formula of: *something happens*, *statement about the thing we just saw happen*, *another character making the same statement, only slightly more expository and in the form of a question*. An example:

*Inuyasha uses the Tetsusaiga against a demon*
Kagome: "He used the Tetsusaiga!"
Shippo: "Inuyasha was able to use the power of the Tetsusaiga against that demon?!"
*rinse, repeat*

It gets really tedious. Fortunately we're still in the introductory phase of the series for a while, so the series will still keep itself fresh for a bit. And I actually really like the next couple of episodes and wish they did more with the present day setting like they do in these episodes.

Jintor

Oh, okay.

Sucks, i really liked Ranma, but without an ending it feels like a rip-off to try and collect all the manga.

Of course, Final Acts has its own problems. Namely that they condensed around 20 volumes worth of manga into a 26 episode anime, which results in it feeling very rushed. It really needed to be a 52 episodes series.

Inuyasha anime really can't catch a break. They drag things out needlessly in the first series, and then they finally adapt the rest, but they rush it too much. I hope one day there's an Inuyasha Kai or something that fixes these issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course, Final Acts has its own problems. Namely that they condensed around 20 volumes worth of manga into a 26 episode anime, which results in it feeling very rushed. It really needed to be a 52 episodes series.

Inuyasha anime really can't catch a break. They drag things out needlessly in the first series, and then they finally adapt the rest, but they rush it too much. I hope one day there's an Inuyasha Kai or something that fixes these issues.

Yea, that would be nice. I mean if you're going to spend the time adapting something you may as well do it right.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I actually rather like early Inuyasha for what it is, especially the earliest ones that are just Inuyasha and Kagome.

The big problem is that NOBODY in the main protagonist camp gets any kind of development at all in the series with the exception of Inuyasha himself, and even that sort of comes and goes. (And outside of the protagonists, the only other characters who get development are Sesshomaru and Kagura.)

Really? Never felt that way. In terms of development:

- Naraku's Incarnations each helped develop him.
- Sango and Kohaku shifted desperations a few times, he actually got to show a personality.
- Miroku toned down his Lecherous side, for Sango.
- Sango learned his personality, went from a plaything to him to almost a wifelike figure.
- Sessha mellowed some, though he'd never admit any of it.
- Kikyo went from a nearly tragic, understandable figure, to nearly evil by 1st anime series end. I think Kagome (once looked upon as her flawed reincarnation) even started to outshine her significance as the series went on.

The series also gets extremely repetitive, and the dialogue is some of the absolute worst in any shounen series, which is hardly a genre renowned for its tight scripting. Almost the entire script after a certain point in the series follows the formula of: *something happens*, *statement about the thing we just saw happen*, *another character making the same statement, only slightly more expository and in the form of a question*. An example:

*Inuyasha uses the Tetsusaiga against a demon*
Kagome: "He used the Tetsusaiga!"
Shippo: "Inuyasha was able to use the power of the Tetsusaiga against that demon?!"
*rinse, repeat*

It gets really tedious.

Isn't that kind of just Japanese writing, in a way, though? Not to mention probably a bad habit of Takahashi's. I've always found her artistic expressiveness enjoyable enough, though, that the way exchanges flow doesn't really bother me much. And as far as writing goes, I much prefer a bit of Japanese style repeatative exposition + a few modern terms/expressions (which fit with Kagome's Era hopping), than the old "Quick, it's a few extra mouth flaps! Make them say something harsh and/or out of character!" some other writers would employ.

Fortunately we're still in the introductory phase of the series for a while, so the series will still keep itself fresh for a bit. And I actually really like the next couple of episodes and wish they did more with the present day setting like they do in these episodes.

I really agree on the present day stuff, though. Would have been great to see more crossing over of the eras, and what kind of effects Kagome's actions in the past, had in the modern day Era. Such as what'd happen if Sango came and visited as Kagome's long-lost cousin, or to see decendents of Miroku's bloodline tell the fractured tales of how their lineage continued on to the present day. Not to mention how odd it would have been to have seen, say, Sesshomaru's kin all effected by his time spent with Rin, or something of that sort.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Miroku groping people 4 times an episode instead of 5 hardly counts as character development. I did forget about Kikyo, though.

Also, no, that dialogue is not just a factor of being Japanese writing. I can think of NO other series off the top of my head that is even remotely as egregious offender of that dialogue writing style, and that's even including Bleach, which is pretty damn bad about it. (Blood+ was another show really bad about this...well, mostly that was just Saya breathlessly repeating whatever anybody else said.)

Jacob

I stayed up for more of Toonami than I had in months and slept in way too late today as a result. Fortunately my finals schedule isn't too bad, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing more SBT next week, especially since it's on earlier. Has Toonami said why they're showing the episodes out of order, though?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Toonami should really try to get the rights to air Cromartie High School.

It's pretty much the perfect gap filler between Toonami and Adult Swim audiences.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I stayed up for more of Toonami than I had in months and slept in way too late today as a result. Fortunately my finals schedule isn't too bad, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing more SBT next week, especially since it's on earlier. Has Toonami said why they're showing the episodes out of order, though?

They're apparently airing the actual production order. According to them it was the original CN run that was aired out of order.

Jacob

They're apparently airing the actual production order. According to them it was the original CN run that was aired out of order.

Huh, interesting. I haven't actually been following the show until this week since it airs so late. Does the story still make sense given the Toonami order?

AniHawk

It's a mostly episodic show so yea it does still make sense.

well, if you're watching now, then it's a good week to start. it becomes less episodic from here on out, and there has already been some character development and backstory given.

i wouldn't have guessed that tashy came after lessons in love though. they're not that related to each other. but yeah- it'll become less episodic during the second half of the show.

DJ88

The one thing I hate about my new job is I'll never get to watch Toonami live and follow the reactions here again, but at least there's DVR. So I know I'm late on this, but I just had to say how amazing Sym Bionic Titan has been so far. I remember being curious after hearing all the praise about it when it went through its first run, but I never got around to seeing it. I'm so glad Toonami picked it up, because I have loved every second of it, and it's seriously making me sad knowing that each week I get closer to its inevitable premature end.

That sequence at the end of the last episode was some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. The twilight lighting, foreground and background, stars in the sky, flaming debris, all matched together with the perfect song choice. Incredible incredible stuff.

AniHawk

That sequence at the end of the last episode was some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. The twilight lighting, foreground and background, stars in the sky, flaming debris, all matched together with the perfect song choice. Incredible incredible stuff.

it's one of the best pieces of animation i've seen on tv in a long time. it takes from other stuff, but it does it so well. and i mean it does everything so well. the focus going from the foreground to the background as titan rises, the way titan swaggers through the smoke, even the shot of kimmy's feet as the song first kicks in. the editing and direction is so amazing, and that's nothing to say of the moment in relation to the rest of the episode. lance is there to protect illana. illana is there to protect herself and also feels she needs to protect the people of earth. and finally octus has a reason to fight as well, beyond whatever programming he had.

genndy tends to portray a lot of his story though just animation, and he's never really been that good with actual writing, but this is the type of show he does at its best, and the purest representation of his original idea for the show: a story of a robot becoming human.

It's so great, isn't it? I'd pay so much money for a lovingly-produced Blu-Ray... I'm saving all of the episodes to my DVR during this run in some misguided belief I'll be able to get them off so I can make my own. It's a standard-issue TWC box, so that'll never happen, yet I'm still doing it... clinging to the show in some small way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom