• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

Most of the shows should be up on adultswim.com during the week. What isn't can probably be found elsewhere.

Hmm, looks like I can't watch any of the episodes I missed since they don't support my cable provider. Unfortunately I'm not sure how I'd watch them otherwise. Thanks anyway though.

LycanXIII

Dec. 8th 2012 Ratings
9da13691f0a2e3ccece29f335ba93982.png

Looks like Fight Night really hurt last week.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bleach failing to take #1 is a real trip. Wonder when the last time that happened was.

Probably the last time it had a rerun break. There was a long one for most of 2010 after they made the decision of airing two new episodes a week in 2009. Going by Wikipedia at least.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, Bleach always performs well in reruns when it goes on hiatus. Every now and then you'll see really weird random shit like a 3 am show finish in first for the night, though. Probably happens once or twice a year.

Drago

Well, at least the Naruto pickup is doing well for them as far as ratings go, it seems. That and the GXP move should hopefully help the block see a nice ratings boost this week.

Unless there is a big event that night that may hinder ratings like it did last week?

Amikami

Banned
Interesting results. Bleach reruns may have to do with it.

"I'm number 1! Believe it!" Literally I remembered that line as soon as I saw the viewer numbers.

Mature

Glad to see Naruto is such a hit. I don't really care if I'm not a huge fan of a few of the shows on the block-- I'm just glad to see Toonami profiting from them.

BatDan

Watching the Toriko preview clips at Funimation's channel, it shows me how much of an amazing fit the show would be for the block.
The negative is that the anime is neutered compared to the manga, in that a lot of the blood has been taken out. Of course, Cartoon Network has no afternoon anime block so... Toonami is a better fit.

Watching the Toriko preview clips at Funimation's channel, it shows me how much of an amazing fit the show would be for the block.
The negative is that the anime is neutered compared to the manga, in that a lot of the blood has been taken out. Of course, Cartoon Network has no afternoon anime block so... Toonami is a better fit.
Could show up when Titan/S7 are done.
Edit:Is it even Dubbed yet :p

Raxus

Isn't it the same way in Japan? I know the Century Soup Arc is REALLY violent at the end but it was relatively bloodless. Still a fun watch. If Toonami really wanted a new action anime I would probably vote Hunter X Hunter > JoJo > Toriko > Tiger Bunny

Sadly I don't see the first two getting picked up anytime soon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't it the same way in Japan? I know the Century Soup Arc is REALLY violent at the end but it was relatively bloodless. Still a fun watch. If Toonami really wanted a new action anime I would probably vote Hunter X Hunter > JoJo > Toriko > Tiger Bunny

Tiger and Bunny would be great. It would be weird to see considering it stars an old man, well for anime he's old.

BatDan

Could show up when Titan/S7 are done.

Hopefully. They'll need two new properties when the shows finish in February.
Unless they plan to keep Titan and only replace S7. That's a very likely scenario considering Titan is a Cartoon Network original with 1% interest in reviving it.

The anime is bloodless in Japan. I'm not referring to edits (since that practice is basically gone now). The manga is much bloodier, the climactic battle in the Century Soup arc was nuts.

HxH will hopefully get picked up by Funi. But JoJo will be a hard sell, given all the music references. Sure they can be filed for fair use or something, but the Viz translation still had to change some names. Like Oingo & Boingo became Zenyatta and Mondatta (which is still a music reference). I don't know, it's all muddy.
Also, why hasn't Viz worked on Parts 4-7? I can understand the first 2 since Araki hates the art, but why not everything after Part 3?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thundercats, yes. SBT, no.

S7, yes. Tenchi, yes.

Then you might have something enjoyable to watch all the way through again.

BatDan

I've seen more than one tumblr post or tweet stating something along the lines of 'get Thundercats and SBT off Toonami, those aren't anime!'

:/

*looks at early Toonami* Johnny Quest, ThunderCats, ReBoot, Batman and Superman, yeah those people need to shut up.

AniHawk

I've seen more than one tumblr post or tweet stating something along the lines of 'get Thundercats and SBT off Toonami, those aren't anime!'

sbt is a result of genndy's love for robotech and 80s john hughes movies. i wonder if they even watched it. because the ending to lessons in love will cleanse your soul.

i'm thinking people turned off Samurai 7 since it was a clip show, and that ended up hurting Sym-Bionic Titan to the point where Eureka came out on top.

also, surprised that Tenchi did so well.

Seda said:

there's also a pretty vocal minority that labels them "kids shows" that don't belong on the block, regardless of any actual quality.

AniHawk

there's also a pretty vocal minority that labels them "kids shows" that don't belong on the block, regardless of any actual quality.

how many people do we see get impaled by a main character in naruto's first 20 episodes?

yeah yeah, trying to 'out-mature' the other is ironically a childish game, but that sounds like people who are extremely unfamiliar with the show. the famous dance scene in the middle of lessons in love is not something kids would follow for more than one reason. it doesn't skirt the issue of teen sexuality, for one, and it gives some insight to the character that others might gloss over.

the criticism is directed at Thundercats and SBT mainly. if we only had stuff on Deadman's level then maybe i could see how they didn't fit, but none of the shows are exactly a fountain of gore right now. to me, the idea that they don't fit in the current lineup because they were on Cartoon Network is laughable

LycanXIII

I think for one weekend, they should just test the waters by starting an hour earlier. I know they've said they wont do it unless they know they can get the numbers, but how do they know they wont get the numbers if they don't try it first?

*looks at early Toonami* Johnny Quest, ThunderCats, ReBoot, Batman and Superman, yeah those people need to shut up.
And this is why I died inside every time people wanted to bring back TOONAMI. Young'uns/animetards have no idea what the message of Toonami is. Even the block they're emulating (Hybrid of Weekday TOONAMI/Saturday Toonami with TOM 4) had plenty of non-anime, all a part of "building you a better cartoon show".

... well except Thundercats and Eureka 7 :D
I think for one weekend, they should just test the waters by starting an hour earlier. I know they've said they wont do it unless they know they can get the numbers, but how do they know they wont get the numbers if they don't try it first?
something something Years of research with [adult swim] something?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

The most boggling part is that Thundercats actually literally IS anime. It's a Studio 4°C show that just happens to have American backing and intended for an American audience.

Snarf even has a Japanese seiyuu doing his voice in the US version, a la Pikachu.

BatDan

According to the Tumblr, tomorrow night will have a new video game review. Along with a new promo to reflect the schedule change.

Seda

According to the Tumblr, tomorrow night will have a new video game review. Along with a new promo to reflect the schedule change.

Wonder what they'll have TOM say as for why Tenchi got moved back.

also, the game apparently: "showing up on a lot of end of the year “Best Games” list. Second hint: it’s a console title. "

Drago

also, the game apparently: "showing up on a lot of end of the year “Best Games” list. Second hint: it’s a console title. "
I'm guessing Dishonored, as it's on quite a few Best Games list, is on consoles, and they talked about reviewing it before.

Being on consoles is a terrible hint though, lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Soifon shows her rocket, Sasuke and Sakura make their formal introduction, the Thundercats head into the forest to continue their search for the stone, Samurai 7 marches onward with some made up GONZO bullshit, the Galalunians find an adorable little alien (I'm really serious this time!), Renton meets a miner in the depths, Seina drops to the back of the line and gets enhanced, the Elrics face off against Scar, Bebop brings backstories for Faye and Jet, and Inuyasha takes a trip back to the present day for a couple of adventures in the modern world.

12:00 - Bleach - 276 - One Hit Kill, Soifon, Bankai!
12:30 - Naruto - 3 - Sasuke and Sakura: Friends or Foes?
1:00 - Thundercats - 11 - The Forest of Magi Oar
1:30 - Samurai 7 - 18 - The Emperor
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 9 - Tashy 497
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 18 - Ill Communication
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 6 - First Tests
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 5 - Rain of Sorrows
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 15 - My Funny Valentine
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 16 - Black Dog Serenade
5:00 - Inuyasha - 11 - Terror of the Ancient Noh Mask
5:30 - Inuyasha - 12 - The Soul Piper and the Mischievous Little Soul

LycanXIII

Wonder what they'll have TOM say as for why Tenchi got moved back.

The Walking Dead. It's getting Game of the Year from tons of places. Serious Casshern Level feels in it too.

Drago

Don't think I'm gonna be able to watch tonight. :(

Guess I'll catch up on One Piece instead, like I've been meaning to.
unless someone knows where I can find a stream please don't kill me

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't think I'm gonna be able to watch tonight. :(

Guess I'll catch up on One Piece instead, like I've been meaning to.
unless someone knows where I can find a stream please don't kill me

Funimation's website or Hulu has them all subbed I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom