• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's a shounen disguised as girls cartoon with less tournaments and more romance and filler and bad writing. If you are gonna watch a Rumiko Takahashi slugfest there's Ranma 1/2 for you to enjoy the experience of paint drying.

But beggars can't be choosers.

InuYasha isn't much of a shonen though. It has shonen trappings for the boys but it's still not really a shonen itself...

On the flipside I'd call Sailor Moon a shonen in shoujo clothing. :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, mission accomplished, then.

Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 278 - The Nightmare Returns... Revival of the Espada
12:30 - Naruto - 5 - You Failed! Kakashi's Final Decision
1:00 - Thundercats - 13 - Between Brothers
1:30 - Samurai 7 - 20 - The Execution
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 13 - The Demon Within
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 20 - Substance Abuse
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 8 - Meet the Parents
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 7 - Hidden Truths
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 19 - Wild Horses
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 20 - Pierrot Le Fou
5:00 - Inuyasha - 15 - Return of the Tragic Priestess, Kikyo
5:30 - Inuyasha - 16 - Mystical Hand of the Amorous Monk, Miroku

Later.

7tDJM.png

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Only in the sense that Power Rangers was a shounen.

except that power rangers is a shonen series. its specifically marketed at boys. same with super sentai.

inu yasha has action scenes, but a lot of romance trappings and misunderstood situations.

Parallax

My point being that Sailor Moon followed sentai trappings more closely than, say, Dragon Ball or other shounen anime.

in the sense of transformations, being team based and villain structure, sure. but it doesnt go much further than that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HEHwf.png

Cause I gotta post mine. :p

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

This is one of the worst plot developments in the series.

And I still don't know the point of it aside from making a forced love triangle. Kikyo almost literally does nothing for the entire series after her revival except act cold and walk around with some lame spirit things.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bleach:

GtWaZ.png

Naruto + ThunderCats:

idcZi.png

Samurai 7:

mmS26.png

Sym-Bionic Titan:

XZCPC.png

Eureka 7 + Tenchi Muyo GXP:

7E6Sy.png

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood:

7ULo2.png

Cowboy Bebop + InuYasha:

HEHwf.png

Parallax

Jesus. With every episode, I'm reminded just how much of a fucking douchebag Holland is. Fucking hell.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hooray, we managed to get all the shows to trend. Good work. I don't even remember why we had to do that.
Weird Toonami night though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
i think a summary for the night would be great to take the place of the opening speech

From the Tumblr:

Anonymous Asked: Have you guys ever considered having TOM give an overview of the episodes for the night instead of giving the usual speech?

You mean at the beginning of the night? The Toonami open? Yeah we’ve been talking about that, and should have more of that kind of thing deeper into the new year. Thanks for the suggestion though, keep them coming!

From the Tumblr:

Anonymous Asked: Have you guys ever considered having TOM give an overview of the episodes for the night instead of giving the usual speech?

You mean at the beginning of the night? The Toonami open? Yeah we’ve been talking about that, and should have more of that kind of thing deeper into the new year. Thanks for the suggestion though, keep them coming!

yeah that was me who asked :p

on another note, gee. what do you think Kakashi's final decision will be in "You Failed! Kakashi's Final Decision"?

BatDan

1000 in the next two days, that might be really unrealistic. :(

The only way I can see that happening is if they buy ad space for the Tumblr, and I think they'd prefer to keep advertising to the actual programming.

Amikami

Banned
yeah that was me who asked :p

on another note, gee. what do you think Kakashi's final decision will be in "You Failed! Kakashi's Final Decision"?

Gosh. It could be anything. THE SUSPENSE!

Spoiler
They fail

and then they pass

Jacob

1000 in the next two days, that might be really unrealistic. :(

I broke down and (finally) made a Tumblr so I could follow Toonami. *fingers crossed*

Hopefully none of the Tumblr users I know will find out or they'll suck me into their world.

i think they'll release it anyway, to be honest. everything trended on twitter, and people are obviously trying to meet the Tumblr goal. the only way they wouldn't release it is probably if nobody tried and everything failed

I think they were going to release the mix tape anyway, but when news that Neilsen would start taking Twitter into account for ratings, they decided to show their bosses what they could do trending-wise. The Tumblr thing could just be icing on the cake.

Combine that, and hopefully growing ratings, and they have a little more in their pocket to make an argument for an earlier start time or possibly more money down the line.

I'm really looking forward to the mix. If you didn't download the Skull Island tape they linked to recently, you should.

What am I looking at?

Slightly on-topic: Netflix sent me Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I shall watch it and see how much better it is than Samurai 7.

You know how much better The Godfather is than Bleach? About that much.

Seven Samurai is one of the finest films ever made.

BatDan

You know how much better The Godfather is than Bleach? About that much.

Seven Samurai is one of the finest films ever made.

Paranormal Activity is better than Bleach.
Scratch that, Paranormal Entity is better than Bleach.
And Paranormal Activity is boring as hell.

But yeah, I've heard Seven Samurai is amazing.

The voice of Ed about to lose an arm

Oooh, I need to read FMA... or watch it. Probably read it first.

789shadow

Banned
Wait a minute, how does Sonny Strait do both Kyuzo in SOLD MY WIFE and Usopp? How are those two voices able to come out of one mouth?

BatDan

Wait a minute, how does Sonny Strait do both Kyuzo in SOLD MY WIFE and Usopp? How are those two voices able to come out of one mouth?

Range is a hell of a thing. Sonny was also TOM 1.0. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtQ4vNh7XkI

Also, Chief G-Cup from Deadman Wonderland? Same voice as Luffy.
Oh, and Steve Blum was also the voice of Guilmon in Digimon Tamers and Orichimaru in Naruto. Proving he has range beyond Spike/Roger Smith/TOM.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Range is a hell of a thing. Sonny was also TOM 1.0. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtQ4vNh7XkI

Also, Chief G-Cup from Deadman Wonderland? Same voice as Luffy.
Oh, and Steve Blum was also the voice of Guilmon in Digimon Tamers and Orichimaru in Naruto. Proving he has range beyond Spike/Roger Smith/TOM.

I'm doing a Big O rewatch and I LOVE his Roger Smith voice. Everytime I watch Big O I'm tempted to do a Noir detective novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom