• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, they really stumbled upon a ratings trinity there. I wonder if this is going to greenlight a new season of Thundercats?

i'd give it at least another week, preferably two, before calling it the new standard.

as for a new season, Thundercats was always doing well with adults. these numbers aren't telling us anything new. the question is whether Williams Street would be willing to put up the cash for another season, and i don't think the show (or any show on Toonami, really) is capable of reaching the numbers where that would be something they'd consider.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm looking forward to the reactions to tonight's Thundercats. I imagine it will piss off a few people.

i'd give it at least another week, preferably two, before calling it the new standard.

as for a new season, Thundercats was always doing well with adults. these numbers aren't telling us anything new. the question is whether Williams Street would be willing to put up the cash for another season, and i don't think the show (or any show on Toonami, really) is capable of reaching the numbers where that would be something they'd consider.
Not to mention that show was produced for a primetime slot, are the producers going to be happy creating more eps. to air at 2 AM or so?

It'd make no sense to greenlight it and then move it back to Friday nights, that's the demo that tanked the show.

BatDan

I thought it was moving it to Saturday mornings that tanked the show? After 13 episodes it took four months off, and when it came back they moved it to Saturday mornings, where the adult audience watching in primetime wasn't awake to see it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought it was moving it to Saturday mornings that tanked the show? After 13 episodes it took four months off, and when it came back they moved it to Saturday mornings, where the adult audience watching in primetime wasn't awake to see it.

Sounds like they did the same thing to Thundercats that they did to Titan. This is why we can't have nice things.

pirata

Sym-Bionic should be at 1:30. I wish they would renew it.

It really does deserve a better time-slot. The only stuff I usually watch on Toonami are Naruto (mostly to see how it compares to the spoof series show and to laugh at it...and it hasn't disappointed so far!) and Sym-Bionic Titan. I think they could really get a cult following going for it if they put it earlier.

Also, why is Thundercats so early? Do that many people really care about it? And who gives a damn about that Tenchi show? There's a lot of stuff they could do to make Toonami better, so let's hope they get to work on that in 2013.

Don't remember the numbers on Friday being that great, but that could've been more due to the high expectations.
Sounds like they did the same thing to Thundercats that they did to Titan. This is why we can't have nice things.
Made less sense to axe Titan, there was literally no negative press about it and you're not trying to ride the wave of a previous version of a show there. Literally no pressure.

BUT TOYS.
Also, why is Thundercats so early? Do that many people really care about it? And who gives a damn about that Tenchi show? There's a lot of stuff they could do to make Toonami better, so let's hope they get to work on that in 2013.
In order:

1) Riding the wave of the TOONAMI audience. I mean I wish I could get the numbers by demo, but when it's pulling in 1 mill overall, gotta leave it alone I guess. TOONAMI can't be picky.
2) Not as much as the network would've wanted.
3) ... no comment.

BatDan

It really does deserve a better time-slot. The only stuff I usually watch on Toonami are Naruto (mostly to see how it compares to the spoof series show and to laugh at it...and it hasn't disappointed so far!) and Sym-Bionic Titan. I think they could really get a cult following going for it if they put it earlier.

Nobody does, that's why it was moved to a later timeslot. Where it will likely stay until it ends in May.

Also, ThunderCats is doing well in the ratings, that's why it's early.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it that time again? Last Toonami of 2012!

Tonight on Toonami, we reboot all the various fights again in Bleach, Kakashi dishes out some more jounin level trolling on Sasuke and Sakura, Lion-O and Tygra take to the astral plane, Ukyo jumps right into his new role as emperor, the Titan team takes on a foe more dangerous than it appears, emotions boil over on Eureka, nothing good can come from a Tenchi episode with this episode title, the Elrics return to Central and learn the truth of the Philosopher's Stone, Spike takes the Swordfish in for repairs, and Kikyo and Miroku join the cast on Inuyasha.

12:00 - Bleach - 278 - The Nightmare Returns... Revival of the Espada
12:30 - Naruto - 5 - You Failed! Kakashi's Final Decision
1:00 - Thundercats - 13 - Between Brothers
1:30 - Samurai 7 - 20 - The Execution
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 13 - The Demon Within
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 20 - Substance Abuse
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 8 - Meet the Parents
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 7 - Hidden Truths
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 19 - Wild Horses
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 20 - Pierrot Le Fou
5:00 - Inuyasha - 15 - Return of the Tragic Priestess, Kikyo
5:30 - Inuyasha - 16 - Mystical Hand of the Amorous Monk, Miroku

As an extra note about this week's Eureka episode, when this episode originally aired on Adult Swim, it had a fairly major edit for violence, the only time I can recall that this happened in the series. The Toonami gang have already confirmed that that old edit is still going to be in place as they're still using the same tape that Adult Swim did due to it being impossible to get a new broadcast copy from the now effectively defunct Bandai (if it were edited today, given what Deadman Wonderland got away with, it probably wouldn't have been cut). Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of one of the most impactful and consequential scenes to date in the series, so you might want to go hunt down the real uncut ending of the episode later.

Not to mention that show was produced for a primetime slot, are the producers going to be happy creating more eps. to air at 2 AM or so?

It'd make no sense to greenlight it and then move it back to Friday nights, that's the demo that tanked the show.

exactly. the only way Thundercats comes back is if it comes back on Cartoon Network, and I don't see how the Toonami ratings do anything to convince them that it will do better with kids.

pirata said:

Titan has the best timeslot they're probably willing to give it. they got it for free, and they have to pay money for Samurai 7, so Samurai 7 takes precedence. the only reason Thundercats is so far up front is because it gets really great ratings, which benefits Samurai 7. Tenchi is in the latest spot possible without messing up the format of premieres and reruns. dropping it isn't a good idea, and the shows on afterwards aren't really of much concern.

as for making Toonami better, i don't think you're giving them enough credit. we've come one hell of a long way since it started up again just a few months ago. not to mention these are more new acquisitions than either Adult Swim or Toonami on Cartoon Network EVER saw in a year.

As an extra note about this week's Eureka episode, when this episode originally aired on Adult Swim, it had a fairly major edit for violence, the only time I can recall that this happened in the series. The Toonami gang have already confirmed that that old edit is still going to be in place as they're still using the same tape that Adult Swim did (if it were edited today, given what Deadman Wonderland got away with, it probably wouldn't have been cut). Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of one of the most impactful and consequential scenes to date in the series, so you might want to go hunt down the real ending of the episode later.

mind telling me in spoilers what got cut?

TheChits

Since I haven't been able to stay up and watch Bebop on toonami, I decided to marathon the series over the past two days. What an absolutely amazing show.

BatDan

Oh man, this can only end badly. We talking the parents of all these girls or the ones that SOLD Brian? Either way I'm staying up.

Sounds like the parents of one of the girls.
But yeah, this is going to be a trainwreck.

Raxus

If last week's theme on Toonami was inappropriate touching then tonight's is straight up trolling. ESPECIALLY Thundercats.

Dear lord, "Cheat"ara.

BatDan

If last week's theme on Toonami was inappropriate touching then tonight's is straight up trolling. ESPECIALLY Thundercats.

Dear lord, "Cheat"ara.

Hmmm.
Bleach: Wonderweiss trolls the Shinigami by freeing the just defeated Espada.
Naruto: Kakashi trolls Team 7 because they fail.
ThunderCats: What happens at the end.
Samurai 7: Don't know as I haven't seen it, but I imagine Ukyo will do some trolling as Emperor.

Heh, you're right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Dear lord, "Cheat"ara.

Oh man that one is tonight? We gonna rage up in this bitch. Tcats ratings to plummet in the following weeks confirmed.

Ultratech

As an extra note about this week's Eureka episode, when this episode originally aired on Adult Swim, it had a fairly major edit for violence, the only time I can recall that this happened in the series. The Toonami gang have already confirmed that that old edit is still going to be in place as they're still using the same tape that Adult Swim did due to it being impossible to get a new broadcast copy from the now effectively defunct Bandai (if it were edited today, given what Deadman Wonderland got away with, it probably wouldn't have been cut). Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of one of the most impactful and consequential scenes to date in the series, so you might want to go hunt down the real uncut ending of the episode later.

Oh...THAT episode.

What did they edit the first time around though? I remember it being pretty damn graphic as it was.

Didn't quite feel too good for a few days after watching that the first time around.

Edit: Ok...yeah. I see what they cut now. :|

pirata

Finally downloaded the Supernova Megamix and it's actually really great. Listening to it from now until midnight.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I might play some of this on my radio show in January, since I've played some music from old Toonami before (that was a part of a compilation CD sent to our station circa 2001 and was sitting in the music library).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, I am a bit harrowed tonight due to some last minute work related issues that just got sorted out for the moment. I shall use Tonami to soothe the nerves.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
can't believe bleach re-runs still rate so high...was hoping they'd plug in something like FLCL while it's on hiatus.

It is rather stunning in the face of its collapse in Japan in the past few years, yet it is the only one of the big three to be consistently on American television. Odd how these things work out.

BatDan

It is rather stunning in the face of its collapse in Japan in the past few years, yet it is the only one of the big three to be consistently on American television. Odd how these things work out.

Toonami may get Naruto Shippuden in a few years when Naruto gets to the end of canon. Maybe.

One Piece... needs to happen now. One side says the networks don't want it, the Toonami crew says they do want it. Another side says it's really expensive and Toei doesn't want to risk it again thanks to 4Kids smearing its reputation, even though Funimation has had the rights for 5 years now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Toonami may get Naruto Shippuden in a few years when Naruto gets to the end of canon. Maybe.

One Piece... needs to happen now. One side says the networks don't want it, the Toonami crew says they do want it. Another side says it's really expensive and Toei doesn't want to risk it again thanks to 4Kids smearing its reputation, even though Funimation has had the rights for 5 years now.

They may do it after Inuyasha finishes repeats and they get TFA. Who knows, it would be a hell of an investment in time. You'd need an hour block every night to come close to catching up. 4kids really shit the bed as far as One Piece goes, it should have been the next big thing and yet...

Nudull

Banned

I'd be happy if they can squeeze in OP and Persona 4, though I doubt it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom