• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Totally forgot about the bookworm. Wonder whatever happened to her in the manga

This is pretty much all you see of her. She gets a job under hughes in the intel division reconstructing books from the 1st library (esepcially old case documents).

And that's really it.

Yeah, but it's all so different. I guess GxP appeals to the "modern" form of Harem fans, but it's so far off th what made original Tenchi appealing.

I wonder if GXP was really cheaper to get than something like Ten-in-Tokyo... *shrug*

Even after the failure of "Giant Robot Week", we eventually got Eva... I'm happy to buy the newly released DVDs and Blu rays while waiting, personally. I do wonder if GxP is more of a "promo" for those, rather than something that needs to be successful on it's own, too... I'm sure many wanna see REAL Tenchi, while watching it's pretender show up on air...

even if it was between Tenchi in Tokyo and Tenchi GXP, this was probably the better choice given you don't need to know ANYTHING about the series.

i don't think that's a particularly good comparison, either. failing as part of a Toonami special event didn't necessarily mean it was going to fail on Adult Swim; the demographics were different. i doubt GXP was a test for anything so much as it was "people want a classic show, this has ties to a classic show so it's the next-best thing" sort of deal.

unfortunately you have to worry about the casual viewers here, and with the numbers GXP gets you have to wonder if they'll run far away from anything that says "Tenchi"

GaimeGuy

is he even Barry in Brotherhood?

Yes but he never met Ed/Al before this.

The whole kidnapping winry thing and ed and al aprehending him was filler in the first anime.

He's still a convicted serial killer turned robot, though. <3

You'll be seeing more of him

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
To make us appreciate the decent male leads. And by decent I mean ranging from awesome to Shinji because god knows Shinji could have sealed the deal.

Well, Tenci Series never are 100% the same. GxP seemed like it wanted to bring the Father of Harem anime into the 2000 Style of the Genre.

Most western fans seem to wish it'd go back to OVA style action/harem/effective male lead hybrid, but this never seems to be whats made... I guess the newer RyoOki series tried, though?

If we're going to get a show like this I think we'd be better off with something like Urusei Yatsura. Romantic comedy > harem.

I'd love to see such a thing, but maybe they don't find it 'actiony' enough?
Yomiko Readman?
*nodnod*
Cheska! <3
I hoped she'd be the "new" Hughes after... y'know... never really happened.

even if it was between Tenchi in Tokyo and Tenchi GXP, this was probably the better choice given you don't need to know ANYTHING about the series.

i don't think that's a particularly good comparison, either. failing as part of a Toonami special event didn't necessarily mean it was going to fail on Adult Swim; the demographics were different. i doubt GXP was a test for anything so much as it was "people want a classic show, this has ties to a classic show so it's the next-best thing" sort of deal.
Well, if it's not a test, then it wouldn't buffer or deter later Tenchi premieres.

unfortunately you have to worry about the casual viewers here, and with the numbers GXP gets you have to wonder if they'll run far away from anything that says "Tenchi"
Casuals follow whatever everyone else says is good. But I just wonder if this one set of poor airings matters to Funi's overall Tenchi re-release project.

They could be pretty generously giving, and minimize the cost of this 'failure' + continuing with the brand on Toonami, If having something Tenchi on air is helping BR/DvD sales.

Ultimately, just wondering if the rating of GxP are as damning to Tenchi hopes, as they could be. Guess we'll find out eventually!

GaimeGuy

meh. even if it was filler it made for a pretty interesting callback

well when you try to use bits and pieces of 25 dense manga chapters into a 52-episodes original storyline, you can afford to take some liberties and insert throwbacks that shouldn't be there. :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
just because they didn't get it as a test doesn't mean they'll fail to take it into consideration acquiring another series

Yeah, we'll just have to see!

Hopefully, the fate of U.S.A broadcast tv Tenchi doesn't soley rest on the shoulders of one of the least-related series.

(GXP loses a lot, to me, without being able to see the paralells to the old series, too. )

Jintor

How fucking good is Bebop

Christ

I look at anime nowadays, and the direction, the cutting, the music choices, dialogue... fuck. Amazing, amazing, amazing anime.

Even an essentially filler episode like this one is so just... crazy, dramatic.

TheChits

Christ

I look at anime nowadays, and the direction, the cutting, the music choices, dialogue... fuck. Amazing, amazing, amazing anime.

I don't think there is a single episode of the show I don't enjoy. The next episode is one of my favorites though

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Bebop is great because every part is worthwhile, and well balanced. It never over-relies on any particular element, and knows when features have overstayed their welcome.

Even it's immaturity feel mature in its realization. It's sophisticated, even when goofing off.

This new Genre will be called... Cowboy Bebop.

Eye14-2.jpg

Bonus:

Eye12.jpg

GaimeGuy

Christ

The central arc of the show only occurs over five episodes: Ballad of the Fallen Angels, Jupiter Jazz 1-2, and The Real Folk Blues 1-2.

Everything else is either filler, or a character-centric episodes. Each character gets 2 or 3 episodes that touch upon them and their pasts.

Jintor

I know, but even this one is barely character-centric, the main situation being not even against a villain as such but circumstance.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd totally be up for a series where Naraku's betrayal plot crashes and burns... and Kikyo and Inuyasha get to try the life they dreamed of.

Let things go to hell at another point... It'd be nice to see non-scorned Kikiyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom