• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Funimation's DBZ dub is pretty much the prototype for the 4Kids One Piece dub. Inexplicable edits? Yep. Rewriting the show because why not? Yep. Replacement score to suit "American sensibilities"? Yep. Poor voice acting? Yep. Skipping over story arcs because they're not marketable? GT's "Lost Episodes" (how were they lost if you made a compilation episode of the footage from them) say yep. Silence is a sin? Yep. The only difference is that 4Kids took out a larger pair of scissors, and a more varied arsenal of paint, oh and the fact that Dragon Ball is successful, lol.

They eventually atoned for their sins with Kai, but some of the damage was permanent. It'll always be "Super Say-in" instead of "Super Sigh-an" for example, but that's a minor thing.

Aside from those last 20 or so episodes that appeared on CN Australia, the real uncut dub has never aired before to my knowledge.

Does Neon Alley count? The uncut dub airs there, but that's like a web based channel.

According to former employees, One Piece was part of a package deal. Toei wanted to get their latest cash cow to North American shores, and hearing about 4Kids success with Yu-Gi-Oh, they packaged it with Shaman King. 4Kids didn't see a second of footage before agreeing to the deal. Once the master tapes started rolling in, they realized they were in trouble.
They went overboard with the editing, though I have no clue why the rap theme was necessary.

They've eventually admitted that "One Piece was a mistake". It should have gone to Funimation in the first place.

What exactly would Toei being doing with Shaman King? They weren't on the production committee for that show ...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Does Neon Alley count? The uncut dub airs there, but that's like a web based channel.

What exactly would Toei being doing with Shaman King? They weren't on the production committee for that show ...

Neon Alley is on PS3, that's an even smaller audience than a web-based channel.

Oh... I remember someone saying Shaman King.
*looks* People are also saying it was packaged with Ultimate Muscle and Ojamajo Doremi, both Toei shows. But that wouldn't really make sense as all three shows started at different times.
Still, the part about licensing it before actually seeing it was true.

Those Family Guy repeats get 3 million viewers a pop. There is no chance. You're also talking about Toonami adding 10 more broadcast slots a week to its budget. That would nearly double what it's running now. Just not plausible.

The only real scenario I see as vaguely plausible is Toonami expanding to 11 on Saturdays. And even that seems unlikely.
Agreed, there's no way toonami is getting a weekday slot anytime soon. If it were to though, I'd like to get back the 5-7 slot.

Why don't you think toonami will expand to start at 11pm?

Funimation's DBZ dub is pretty much the prototype for the 4Kids One Piece dub. Inexplicable edits? Yep. Rewriting the show because why not? Yep. Replacement score to suit "American sensibilities"? Yep. Poor voice acting? Yep. Skipping over story arcs because they're not marketable? GT's "Lost Episodes" (how were they lost if you made a compilation episode of the footage from them) say yep. Silence is a sin? Yep. The only difference is that 4Kids took out a larger pair of scissors, and a more varied arsenal of paint, oh and the fact that Dragon Ball is successful, lol.

They eventually atoned for their sins with Kai, but some of the damage was permanent. It'll always be "Super Say-in" instead of "Super Sigh-an" for example, but that's a minor thing.

Say what you want about One Piece but the dbz dub that aired in the United States was awesome. I've only heard complaints from purists that are frankly, anime obsessed nerds. Not saying you are, and obviously we are all nerdy for posting on a video game message board...But you know what I mean. These are the type of dudes who carry around wooden swords, wear naruto headbands, speak a mixture of English and the handful Japanese words they picked up from anime, bash any musical genre that isn't j-pop, etc.

Raxus

Speaking of ratings how does The Cleveland Show fair? Because as far as I can tell nobody watches it, talks about it or even advertises it. In fact I saw it while waiting for Toonami to come on and was wondering 'when did Adult Swim pick up The Cleveland Show?'

That said if they start airing OP one can only hope the second chance pays off and it takes off so Toonami can start airing it twice a night. Hell even doing that it will take years to catch up to the currently dubbed episodes (200 or so) and that doesn't include the 600+ episodes in all.

Moaradin

When is Funimation gonna start dubbing One Piece again? I'm watching it now but I'm afraid that once I get caught up to 205, I'll have to wait until they pick it back up =(

Raxus

When is Funimation gonna start dubbing One Piece again? I'm watching it now but I'm afraid that once I get caught up to 205, I'll have to wait until they pick it back up =(

They have it dubbed up to 241 but they are going SLOOOOOW. Getting a TV deal would help immensely to expedite the process but alas.

Astral

The only bad thing that'll come out of putting One Piece on Toonami is the shortened openings. It'd be a crime to shorten them.

Jacob

Funimation announced at Otakon this summer that they acquired the rights for episodes 264 through 336, which apparently includes the Enies Lobby Arc. They're also dubbing Strong World.

789shadow

Banned
So I assume Season 6 would be Thriller Bark, Season 7 would be Sabaody/Amazon Lily/Impel Down, Season 8 Marineford and after, and Season 9 Fishman Island.

Speaking of ratings how does The Cleveland Show fair? Because as far as I can tell nobody watches it, talks about it or even advertises it. In fact I saw it while waiting for Toonami to come on and was wondering 'when did Adult Swim pick up The Cleveland Show?'

last week the Cleveland Show had about 1.7 million viewers on both Saturday and Sunday when it was on at 10:30, and about 1.1 when it was on at 1:30 on Sunday

For awhile American Dad was in the "Futurama role" as the bridge show into Saturday [adult swim], but it's long since been removed in favor of Boondocks. The ratings were just average, from what I remember they weren't like the Sunday [as] ratings. Like Family Guy, back when other channels ran AD! in syndication on weekends also.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm going ahead and watching episodes of Tenchi GXP on funi's website (the whole series is up)

This just gets more and more ridiculous. And I love it.

Nabeshin why are you so crazy?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm going ahead and watching episodes of Tenchi GXP on funi's website (the whole series is up)

The serious kiriko thing is something I wish they would have touched on again, but they dropped that plot like a hot skillet.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm half expecting anime nabeshin to join the crew along with Hyatt and Excel <_>

RagnarokX

While we're on the topic, I'd like to thank this thread for getting me into One Piece.

It's really good. I'd love to see the dub air on Toonami but it would definitely be hard to schedule considering episode count. Maybe give it an hour when S7 and SBT end (they end close together don't they?)

Read the manga. The anime's pacing gets REALLY REALLY bad later on.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, gave the first episode of "Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar" a view, since it seems like the only animated "Muyo" series I know nothing about, anddd... I quite like it after that first episode. Tenchi's little Half-Brother is definitely more Tenchi than Seina, and though the show shares none of my favorite Tenchi verse traits so far (Royal Trees, Washu's pocket dimensions, Cat-based ships, etc?), it seems intent on weaving similiar mythology into it's world, as the series goes on.

Each episode is almost an hour long though, which felt like it worked well. I wonder if they'd break the episodes in half for regular TV airing?

The "harem" elements are pretty light so far too, though I'm sure this changes as time goes on.

I rather enjoyed GXP when I watched it on DVD, and I find it fun enough now. Disliked the replacement US voices for the returning Tenchi Cast, but that's almost a given, ha.

I always thought Excel Saga would have been fun to see on Adult Swim / Midnight Run, at least we have NB bringing some of that personality in, in spirit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ToonamiGAF, I know you all have WiiU's so feel free to add me as I have just joined your ranks. NYC_JZ holla at your boy
please?

I rather enjoyed GXP when I watched it on DVD, and I find it fun enough now. Disliked the replacement US voices for the returning Tenchi Cast, but that's almost a given, ha.

I always thought Excel Saga would have been fun to see on Adult Swim / Midnight Run, at least we have NB bringing some of that personality in, in spirit.

does Tenchi GXP ever actually get some action to it? because it's been like 8 episodes and...nothing really.

BatDan

Out of boredom, I've counted the weeks and episodes to when the various series will end. I didn't include FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop or InuYasha for being Adult Swim mainstays. These dates are tentative as it doesn't factor possible weeks off or future instances of Bleach going on hiatus to dub more episodes.

Samurai 7 will be the first on February 9th.
Sym-Bionic Titan will soon follow on February 16th. However, it might restart since it's a Cartoon Network original.
ThunderCats will deliver its *ahem* finale on March 30th. May also restart.
Tenchi Muyo GXP will mercifully die out on May 4th.
Eureka Seven will be gone July 27th.

Bleach will see its 366th and final episode on September 6th 2014. It is likely we will see a "Bleach: The Final Act" sometime after the manga ends.

Naruto's canon material ends on Episode 135, everything after that is FILLER HELL. Thus I've only counted to said episode. That will be June 27th 2015. It is unknown if we will get Shippuden.

Raxus

My hope is that when Titan finishes its run they start Samurai Jack. I never saw the entire series and I'd love to see it from the beginning again. No clue what they could run in Tcats place that would be an ideal fit besides the original series.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So, gave the first episode of "Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar" a view, since it seems like the only animated "Muyo" series I know nothing about, anddd... I quite like it after that first episode. Tenchi's little Half-Brother is definitely more Tenchi than Seina, and though the show shares none of my favorite Tenchi verse traits so far (Royal Trees, Washu's pocket dimensions, Cat-based ships, etc?), it seems intent on weaving similiar mythology into it's world, as the series goes on.

Each episode is almost an hour long though, which felt like it worked well. I wonder if they'd break the episodes in half for regular TV airing?

The "harem" elements are pretty light so far too, though I'm sure this changes as time goes on.

kenshis harem antics are the most insane of the 3(four if you count duals protag) it would be nice to see a comparison chart for the series

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Out of boredom, I've counted the weeks and episodes to when the various series will end. I didn't include FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop or InuYasha for being Adult Swim mainstays. These dates are tentative as it doesn't factor possible weeks off or future instances of Bleach going on hiatus to dub more episodes.

Samurai 7 will be the first on February 9th.
Sym-Bionic Titan will soon follow on February 16th. However, it might restart since it's a Cartoon Network original.
ThunderCats will deliver its *ahem* finale on March 30th. May also restart.
Tenchi Muyo GXP will mercifully die out on May 4th.
Eureka Seven will be gone July 27th.

Bleach will see its 366th and final episode on September 6th 2014. It is likely we will see a "Bleach: The Final Act" sometime after the manga ends.

Naruto's canon material ends on Episode 135, everything after that is FILLER HELL. Thus I've only counted to said episode. That will be June 27th 2015. It is unknown if we will get Shippuden.

I hope they replace GPX with another comedy, like Level E. Tom could troll us every night during it's intro. You know, to get us ready.

BatDan

and i wouldn't exactly call the original Thundercats an "ideal" fit :p

It hasn't exactly aged that well. Then again, most 80s cartoons haven't. Except DuckTales, Transformers and the first couple seasons of TMNT (and that's pushing it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom