• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not say no the Batman: TAS.
Slap.gif

i'd honestly like to see them get Young Justice, though with it continuing on Cartoon Network in January i don't see that happening for a while.
The syndication rights would be expensive, but it's doable. However the latest it could go on is 1 AM, respect DC.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Very late (~ep 18) tenchi GXP question:

What's the big deal about the name Unko? I assume it's a japanese pun that can both reference good luck and something sexual

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think it means vagina. I'm almost positive, that or penis.

lol

okay, from an episode summary:

"Unko! The crew of the Kamidake are shocked - as written on the banner, the name means "brings luck", but pronounced "unko" it means, to put it politely, "excrement"! "

Hmmmm. "The URL you requested could not be found."
I re-did the link. I'm on mobile could that be causing the issue?
The link works for me. Well this is what it says.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/39352369767/happy-new-year-we-at-toonami-had-an-amazing-2012

tumblr_mfxebeB0Sk1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR! We at Toonami had an amazing 2012, mostly because WE’RE BACK, BITCHES! And it’s all thanks to YOU, the Toonami fan. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for giving us a second chance at the best block on tv. We promise to do our best in 2013 to deliver on your trust with the best shows, promos and other goodies we can serve up weekly! We’ve got some pretty sweet surprises we can’t wait to share. Have a great New Year’s Eve, and of course… Stay Gold!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Here's a channel that has comparisons between the One Piece 4Kids dub and the Funimation dub. http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaGokuTFS/

Some of the clips also have comparisons to None Piece, a rapid-fire "abridged" series that's less like DBZ Abridged (following the plot) and more like a crazier Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged (Luffy is Sean Connery).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
lol

okay, from an episode summary:

"Unko! The crew of the Kamidake are shocked - as written on the banner, the name means "brings luck", but pronounced "unko" it means, to put it politely, "excrement"! "

Yea no it means shit. Sorry. The word for pussy is spelled sorta similarly so yea.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Never thought we'd have Toonami in 2013, but here we are. Happy new year all, may all your FEELS pockets be hot....wait that didn't come out right

Drago

Y'know, last time I had a hot pocket, there was nothing inside of it. Just sauce stuck to the bottom of the inside.

Never again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Happy New Year, Toon-Ami's!

does Tenchi GXP ever actually get some action to it? because it's been like 8 episodes and...nothing really.

I remember some action-y parts, and a lot of "us VS them" situations, but nothing too crazy. Really, I'm generally happy just to watch Character Interaction in a Tenchi-related show, so that's what I remember more of.

Watching this on DVD, I never felt "wow... nothing is happening!", but it helps to have 4 or 5 episodes per disk. In comparision, I felt like Samurai 7 and Casshern Sins spent a lot of time kinda floundering around upon episodic TV viewing, though at least Cash had the decency to give us action basically every ep.

I'm surprised some on the AS boards seem to find GXP better than Casshern! I probably find it more memorable, in some ways, but Casshern to be more artistically sound...

kenshis harem antics are the most insane of the 3(four if you count duals protag) it would be nice to see a comparison chart for the series

Go Onnnnn.... ha.

That's interesting to hear. I'm tempted to watch the rest already, but I'd like to feel like I have a reason to buy the thing when it comes out on disk in the US. Does the show do a decent job balancing the "School" and "action" aspects, in your opinion? Or does the fighting peter off for a few eps, shoved aside to let the harem aspect take center stage?

It's funny to think of how little action Tenchi OVA had, in some ways... much of the time was spent just letting the character mingle and bump heads, but I guess even that had an action element to it...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Happy New Year, Toon-Ami's!

I remember some action-y parts, and a lot of "us VS them" situations, but nothing too crazy. Really, I'm generally happy just to watch Character Interaction in a Tenchi-related show, so that's what I remember more of.

Watching this on DVD, I never felt "wow... nothing is happening!", but it helps to have 4 or 5 episodes per disk. In comparision, I felt like Samurai 7 and Casshern Sins spent a lot of time kinda floundering around upon episodic TV viewing, though at least Cash had the decency to give us action basically every ep.

I'm surprised some on the AS boards seem to find GXP better than Casshern! I probably find it more memorable, in some ways, but Casshern to be more artistically sound...

Go Onnnnn.... ha.

That's interesting to hear. I'm tempted to watch the rest already, but I'd like to feel like I have a reason to buy the thing when it comes out on disk in the US. Does the show do a decent job balancing the "School" and "action" aspects, in your opinion? Or does the fighting peter off for a few eps, shoved aside to let the harem aspect take center stage?

It's funny to think of how little action Tenchi OVA had, in some ways... much of the time was spent just letting the character mingle and bump heads, but I guess even that had an action element to it...

Let's just say among all the tenchi universe and alternate universe protags, he has the most participants by far.

As for the school and action, its kinda a toss up. Part of the series is in school and you learn about the hierarchy of the world, and then there's the action. It does have a better pace than gxp. But that's due to the action being a core part of the show.

Seda

So I've missed the last two Saturdays due to vacation. I'll have to catch up this week.

Anything of interest on the Toonami news front?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a channel that has comparisons between the One Piece 4Kids dub and the Funimation dub. http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaGokuTFS/

Some of the clips also have comparisons to None Piece, a rapid-fire "abridged" series that's less like DBZ Abridged (following the plot) and more like a crazier Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged (Luffy is Sean Connery).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOmMMklRjcs

This one is really great because it has a nice example of some of the utterly pointless edits that 4Kids would make. Aside from the incessant Casio keyboard soundtrack, pay attention to the scene where Nami exits out the door onto the main deck. In the 4Kids version, she comes out with her head turned from camera and just runs to the railing for some reason. In the original/Funimation version, however, she cautiously opens the door and looks both ways multiple times, obviously checking to see if the coast was clear, and then only running to the railing after feeling the whole ship shake from an attack.

It's a handful of seconds and something totally and utterly banal, and it's not like anybody is going to miss it, but the fact remains that SOMEBODY had to sit there and say "this needs to go!" and actually do the work of cutting down that scene. Somebody got paid money to do that. Things like that always boggle my mind.

So I've missed the last two Saturdays due to vacation. I'll have to catch up this week.

Anything of interest on the Toonami news front?

i don't think anything has changed

SAB CA said:

i dunno, GXP's storytelling thus far makes it almost seem like a sitcom with little to no advancement as far as any sort of plot is concerned.

BatDan said:

for some reason it still makes me laugh that None Piece just uses the 4Kids opening

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Let's just say among all the tenchi universe and alternate universe protags, he has the most participants by far.

As for the school and action, its kinda a toss up. Part of the series is in school and you learn about the hierarchy of the world, and then there's the action. It does have a better pace than gxp. But that's due to the action being a core part of the show.

Haha, well, that's good to hear. I liked the action in Ep 1, and am glad the action is a core. That's what I'd expect, but I know how tricky anime can be at times.

More GXP spoilers:

EVERYONE IS ROYALTY

Welcome to tenchi muyo.

Haha, no joke. Tenchi is more of a "How Many degrees of seperation from Yosho ARE you!?!" type deal in the OVA timeline... the man populated all of Japan, I swear.

i dunno, GXP's storytelling thus far makes it almost seem like a sitcom with little to no advancement as far as any sort of plot is concerned.

Eh, aside from the lack of action, there's been plenty of character relationship stuff going on. It's basically been "Seina Meets a new person, now lets put him through an adventure, so that he can endear himself to them."; Paired alongside a chance to finally see the inner working of the GP, learn about it's training structure, it's social quirks, and standing in the Tenchiverse.

Just in this last episode, NB has been introduced just this last episode, and the show is finally showing us the "living with the harem" aspect, promising to finally stop whisking us from necessarily one area to the next, and let us watch the character grow closer. Amane continues to try to be the new Ryoko of the show in some ways (Being pretty shameless with her actions), even though her upbringing is probably a bit more Ayeka-like.

GXP hasn't introduced much of an over-arching plot yet, but that's not too important now, anyway, If ever. Tenchi in general is more a "Slice of Life" show, than it is an Arc-driven story.

TM: War on Geminar seems to work better as a "you don't need to know Tenchi to enjoy this show!" deal. GXP worked for me, because, for example, the mention of Washuu being the one to create that huge-ocean in the area, due to a malfunctioning experiement, made the episode, ha.

Parallax

Haha, no joke. Tenchi is more of a "How Many degrees of seperation from Yosho ARE you!?!" type deal in the OVA timeline... the man populated all of Japan, I swear.

Eh, aside from the lack of action, there's been plenty of character relationship stuff going on. It's basically been "Seina Meets a new person, now lets put him through an adventure, so that he can endear himself to them."; Paired alongside a chance to finally see the inner working of the GP, learn about it's training structure, it's social quirks, and standing in the Tenchiverse.

GXP hasn't introduced much of an over-arching plot yet, but that's not too important now, anyway, If ever. Tenchi in general is more a "Slice of Life" show, than it is an Arc-driven story.

TM: War on Geminar seems to work better as a "you don't need to know Tenchi to enjoy this show!" deal. GXP worked for me, because, for example, the mention of Washuu being the one to create that huge-ocean in the area, due to a malfunctioning experiement, made the episode, ha.

The juraian family line seems incredibly blue blood to a scary degree. But yeah, Yosho spreads his wings deep. But one thing that I don't care for with all of the tenchi related series is
the light hawk wings with tenchi it was rare. But with seina, kazuki, and kenshi, the rarity burns off when everyone has them

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The juraian family line seems incredibly blue blood to a scary degree. But yeah, Yosho spreads his wings deep. But one thing that I don't care for with all of the tenchi related series is
the light hawk wings with tenchi it was rare. But with seina, kazuki, and kenshi, the rarity burns off when everyone has them

I guess it's just a "mixed blood heritage" thing, much like DBZ, in that regard. "No-one had this power when we were a pure people, but now, every offspring of Human / Jurian seed has some level of it!!

I can accept it with Kenshi, given his close bloodline with Tenchi, too. Can't say how I feel about the others though... that's probably the most ".... no, really?!?" part, for me. (Haven't seen Dual yet, somehow... need to jump on that one day!)

Masaki Kajishima just likes to throw them onto all his Protags, I guess...

Parallax

I guess it's just a "mixed blood heritage" thing, much like DBZ, in that regard. "No-one had this power when we were a pure people, but now, every offspring of Human / Jurian seed has some level of it!!

I can accept it with Kenshi, given his close bloodline with Tenchi, too. Can't say how I feel about the others though... that's probably the most ".... no, really?!?" part, for me. (Haven't seen Dual yet, somehow... need to jump on that one day!)

Masaki Kajishima just likes to throw them onto all his Protags, I guess...

I'm surprised photon doesnt have them. But I guess with seina, if one has them, the other has to as well.

Jacob

Happy New Year, ToonamiGAF. It's hard to believe that this time last year Toonami was gone forever as far as we knew. Thanks for a lot of great new memories.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good news for Deadman Wonderland fans. The manga is finally coming back after an 11 month hiatus.
Still no word on more anime, I doubt it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom