• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
if Toonami expands to 11pm (which it won't), i think the best use of that would be to kick off the block with an hour of One Piece and just leave everything else as is

Azure J

To be fair, even Enies Lobby had pacing issues. I remember recaps being stupidly long (more so than usual) and I know some fans weren't too happy with how long Luffy vs. Lucci was taking.

Also, if One Piece ever gets on TV, by the time it got to the
timeskip
, the series would be years ahead in Japan. Even further than usual.

Man, this stuff saddens me to see. Is there no way to get One Piece broadcast (in a satisfactory manner) in the states?

No Gurren Lagann?

I always forget something. Replace Katanagatari with Gurren and Hunter x Hunter. At the same time, isn't Gurren wrapped up in rights from the Sci-Fi channel in the states?

Drago

if Toonami expands to 11pm (which it won't), i think the best use of that would be to kick off the block with an hour of One Piece and just leave everything else as is

Agreed. That, and skip unnecessary filler, and it'd be perfect.

Soul Eater coming to the block is fine by me - never seen it before and I've heard good things. Should be fun to see. :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, this stuff saddens me to see. Is there no way to get One Piece broadcast (in a satisfactory manner) in the states?

It really is depressing how much 4Kids destroyed the series in America.

Sure, word of mouth is helping now. Along with some promotion. The collected manga volumes are only a few volumes behind Japan, Weekly Shonen Jump USA allows a legal way to read the newest chapters, Funimation is consistently releasing DVDs and simulcasting the newest episodes. Even though the latest DVD ends on Episode 241 and the latest in Japan was 583. Things are sort of working out.

It doesn't help that there are people that still think 4Kids has the series and many people refuse to touch it because of it. I can understand being intimidated by the length though.

I'm not hyped for Soul Eater because it ends before it even gets real good. I stopped reading the manga though. I don't know why they won't add Gundam or The Big O.

B33

Banned
I'm not hyped for Soul Eater because it ends before it even gets real good. I stopped reading the manga though. I don't know why they won't add Gundam or The Big O.

The studio and distribution arm—Bandai's entertainment division— folded, leaving the rights to the dubbed cuts of Gundam in a precarious position.

I don't believe they own the rights to the first season of Big O. Just the second batch of episodes the network server as a co-financier on.

It's a trying time to have an action block with (mostly) anime. Several establishments have shuttered and the once lucrative home video market has been truncated. It's six to seven figure deals for networks such as Cartoon Network to air properties they don't own.

Conan-san

I'd just wish Viz didn't pull that shit with Neon Ally. We could be swimming in Tiger and Bunny popularity right now if not for that bullshit.

I never heard of Neon Alley until now, but I assume something be on it wouldn't mean it won't be on Toonami just like Funimation airing their own shows on their channel didn't exclude their shows from airing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

I always forget something. Replace Katanagatari with Gurren and Hunter x Hunter. At the same time, isn't Gurren wrapped up in rights from the Sci-Fi channel in the states?
In an ideal world they would just start off with the Water 7 arc, pretending that people actually watched Skypeia when it aired briefly on Cartoon Network (lets ignore the part where it only finished the arc completely in Australia).

As for Gurren Lagann, its problem probably isn't the Sci-Fi channel (which surely doesn't have the rights anymore, anyway). Gurren Lagann's problem is that no one currently holds the rights to it in America (except for Aniplex USA having the rights to the two movies). Gurren Lagann isn't going to appear anywhere until Funimation finally gets around to picking up Bandai's dropped shows.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/35526055810/if-you-dont-have-the-licenses-to-air-deadman

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
STILL NOT CONVINCED

Believe

If it's streaming then they have *some* kind of relationship, which opens the door in the future.

grandjedi6

STILL NOT CONVINCED

Believe

If it's streaming then they have *some* kind of relationship, which opens the door in the future.

The relationship is Aniplex USA, who have the series licensed for sale and streaming.

And streaming rights usually outlast broadcast rights by a healthy margin. They're easier to renew too.

grandjedi6

Man, I just want DRR on Toonami.

It was? Essentially? It aired on saturday nights on adult swim at least.

I feel for you though. It would be a fun reairing for toonami. I just don't think they have any interest in it right now. They're mostly focused on series that haven't aired on network yet or legacy/classic series.

It was? Essentially? It aired on saturday nights on adult swim at least.

I feel for you though. It would be a fun reairing for toonami. I just don't think they have any interest in it right now. They're mostly focused on series that haven't aired on network yet or legacy/classic series.
Not to mention the ratings were poor.

Conan-san

Naruto and InuYasha say "hi"

not to mention why would they go out of their way to lie to an extremely small group of people? you're not making any sense.

Yeah, two old shows, woo.

Come back to me when Viz isn't squandering the next bebop.

or maybe Toonami can't actually afford the show?

but you're right. despite VIZ's stated willingness to put Neon Alley shows on Toonami and the actual presence of Neon Alley shows on Toonami, it's PROBABLY some kind of conspiracy. i'm sure Toonami would be airing Tiger & Bunny if it wasn't on Neon Alley, despite their budgetary constraints and repeated statements that the age of a show doesn't matter. VIZ obviously restricts the airing of shows to their PS3-exclusive service because it will get them so much more money than the infinitely wider exposure of cable television.

it's obvious you're just mad the show you want isn't on Toonami and are looking for someone to blame. come back to me when you have evidence that VIZ is lying and actually withholding shows just for Neon Alley, or that Toonami would have ever picked up Tiger & Bunny to begin with. because right now you don't have any; call me crazy, but i'm going to assume the heads of VIZ and Toonami are telling the truth until you can give me a reason that isn't "LOOK THEIR SHOW ISN'T ON TOONAMI THEY MUST BE PREVENTING THEM FROM AIRING IT." that makes not a damn bit of sense, and you know it.

789shadow

Banned
So I was thinking 3 permanent users on the podcast, 1 host (me) and 2 others, who watch the entire 6 hours and podcast every single week, and then 2 revolving door spots so the rest of the community can get in on it.

Raxus

Would love it if we could start the week after next for the start of Soul Eater.

Could do a nice moratorium for Samurai SOLD MY WIFE. What worked, what went terribly terribly wrong and favorite characters.

It would be nice to cover Sym-Bionic Titan from the beginning since it is an interesting show and was Genny's swan song for the network.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I was thinking 3 permanent users on the podcast, 1 host (me) and 2 others, who watch the entire 6 hours and podcast every single week, and then 2 revolving door spots so the rest of the community can get in on it.

What time are we talking here?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
First, I need to figure out how to do a basic recording of a Skype Group Call, then I can figure out permanent slots.
Depends on if you want to do this live or recorded. That is to say in front of a live interactive audience or just record on Skype and put the podcast up later.

Seda

As long as it isn't excessive (praise to shows you like/vitriol to shows you don't like) then I'll probably listen, not interested in participating though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sounds like fun. I'll join up, but it'll probably end up like a rifftrax lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I could try a guest spot once in a while. Maybe. Depends on what's happening on my Sundays.
Need to work on that whole "talking" thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh right, my experience is 178 episodes over nearly for years producing my current show. Indeed we have been off-season for a bit to recharge and begin the gar-up towards season 8. It is also why I am fine with being a guest at this point.

I've been talking/analyzing [adult swim] on their website forum since 2005. I'd love to be a part of that podcast... the one thing is a) though I know of the shows I probably wouldn't watch 6 hours of TOONAMI since I've already seen virtually every ep. they show in a week b) the shows I haven't seen due to me trying to catch up I wouldn't watch.

I have limited recording experience via TeamSpeak. To say I have podcast experience would be kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom