• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
i'm not confusing your point. i'm saying that it's fucking remarkable that they gave half a shit at all.

That doesn't earn them a gold star. Also, I am not going to ignore the years of bumps expressing frustration and resentment towards the genre. I am not going to give credit for minimal effort, I will give credit to them for actually caring about anime again vis a vis Toonami.

Mature

That doesn't earn them a gold star. Also, I am not going to ignore the years of bumps expressing frustration and resentment towards the genre. I am not going to give credit for minimal effort, I will give credit to them for actually caring about anime again vis a vis Toonami.
Are you calling the tongue and cheek bumps they've made about anime "resentment"?

like hell it doesn't. anime shouldn't be on this network at all, period. the ratings aren't as good as everything else, AND it costs more to air than their own original programming. financially, airing anime on Adult Swim is stupid. its presence on the network at all is caring a hell of a lot.

oh god, now we're getting into oversensitive anime fans freaking out over some joke bumps. i wondered when that would come up. people need to learn to take a joke. the reason those bumps existed for as long as they did is precisely BECAUSE bitchy viewers threw a tantrum every time one came on. they got a reaction, they continued doing it. it's that simple.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, no, caring isn't a token effort, a you should be glad we are doing this at all attitude and smug and self-satisfied attacks on a fanbase. Caring, really caring is what is the current Toonami is about, showing genuine gratitude to the people that support the endeavor, actually acquiring new series and giving old shows new life and advertising that fact. The last days of Adult Swim Action were apathy, Toonami is caring, showing genuine love and appreciation to the fanbase who helped bring it back.

actually apathy would be not having it on the network at all. you know, that thing they could have easily done to begin with. apathy is Disney and Naruto Shippuden.

and did you read nothing i said about the bumps, or are you just committed to holding a childish grudge because you're still mad they made some jokes at your expense?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
actually apathy would be not having it on the network at all. you know, that thing they could have easily done to begin with. apathy is Disney and Naruto Shippuden.

and did you read nothing i said about the bumps, or are you just committed to holding a childish grudge because you're still mad they made some jokes at your expense?

Yea, apathy is getting three new shows in the span of three years and barely advertising them, you are not going to convince me that up until the return of Toonami Adult Swim really did not care. Toonami has done more for the anime in the span of what 9 months then those four years combined a thousand times over. As far as the bumps go, yes, I do think there was legitimate resentment from the writers of those things; maybe it was in good fun at points, but reactions on both sides kind of soured that one. Once again, this is one the reasons why I am glad Toonami is back in full force, I see a genuine appreciation once again for anime without the sarcasm and the snark, that bullshit got checked at the door.

yes, apathy is spending money to buy shows and putting them on television. putting aside a specific block and money just for anime is apathy. it's obvious they just don't give a shit.

you need to be grateful for what you got, because there was not a single damn reason they had to air anime at all other than "we want some variety". once again: APATHY IS NOT AIRING IT. your perspective is skewed with the idea that adult swim MUST air anime when they really fucking don't. they can air just about anything else, and not only would it be cheaper but they'd get higher ratings from it. please explain to me how airing anime at all does not mean they care.

you are aware the sarcasm and snark IS adult swim, right? that's kind of their thing. now i get it. anime's special. anime should be above it. adult swim can make fun of anything it wants, as long as it's not anime. anime is sacred.

Toonami obviously signifies adult swim putting a much greater focus on anime than they did in the past, but you're delusional if you think it's as black and white as Toonami = caring, ASA = not caring.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll make this simple, new anime programs aired between 2009 and the 2012 return of Toonami are Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kekashi aear of its and Durarara! and the was Bleach as the constant. List of anime shows that Toonami has aired or will air in the not quite year of its existence: Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, Samurai 7, Tenchi Muyo! GXP, Soul Eater, and we also saw the return of Eureka Seven and Naruto and maybe Thundercats counts as well. Yes, I realize that snark and sarcasm are a hallmark of Adult Swim but I the thing that never entered into their minds is maybe the pushed that shit beyond a reasonable threshold.

you're ignoring almost every single aspect of my post and just repeating the same thing over and over. they HAVE to care about anime in order to air it at all given there is little to no benefit by putting it on Adult Swim. the number of acquisitions doesn't matter, it matters that there WERE acquisitions. you can say Toonami is proof that they're putting in a lot more effort and yes, care, but to say ASA did not care at all is fucking ridiculous. you weren't entitled to new anime every few months, and you certainly weren't entitled to having anime on the network permanently.

not to mention that a lot of what you've listed about acquisitions can be simply attributed to difference in strategy. Brotherhood and Durarara were brand new when they aired; Deadman Wonderland is the only comparable show, and it was a BOMB in its home country. Toonami has been willing to dig through the bargain bin (which applies to every single one of their new acquisitions except Soul Eater), whereas ASA blew their cash on stuff that was new. ASA was also willing to rerun their new shows.

of course they pushed it beyond a reasonable threshold. people were throwing tantrums from day one, and so they continued. it's like how a little kid continues teasing someone as long as he gets a reaction. yet i don't see the blame being laid at the feet of anime fans for freaking out EVERY SINGLE TIME, and i fail to see how what amounts to some mild trolling demonstrates disdain for a format they could have easily pulled the plug on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I am not going to be grateful to oh so great and merciful gods of adult swim for putting out near total apathy with some token efforts strewn about and also get shit from the broadcasters to boot. Yes, there were unreasonable demands from the anime fans and there was whining, that really is not the issue though, the issue is the Adult Swim folk doesn't seem to realize they went beyond the pale of good spirits and got mean spirited. To continue your analogy AS continued to reach for reaction by teasing and then one got punched in the face because the other party was so sick of it and things went downhill from there. There is a reason why they are fighting perception problems to this very day. Oh and to stave off this obvious and well-worn chestnut, no I did not like this shit, so indeed I stopped watching. I stopped watching until Toonami came along because they had shown me they really do care about anime, action and listening to the fanbase with reason and that they clearly appreciate those fans whom helped bring this thing back.

789shadow

Banned
ibpDW3rBUS7dgq.jpg

Yea, I am not going to be grateful to oh so great and merciful gods of adult swim for putting out near total apathy with some token efforts strewn about and also get shit from the broadcasters to boot. Yes, there were unreasonable demands from the anime fans and there was whining, that really is not the issue though, the issue is the Adult Swim folk doesn't seem to realize they went beyond the pale of good spirits and got mean spirited. To continue your analogy AS continued to reach for reaction by teasing and then one got punched in the face because the other party was so sick of it and things went downhill from there. There is a reason why they are fighting perception problems to this very day. Oh and to stave off this obvious and well-worn chestnut, no I did not like this shit, so indeed I stopped watching. I stopped watching until Toonami came along because they had shown me they really do care about anime, action and listening to the fanbase with reason and that they clearly appreciate those fans whom helped bring this thing back.

i'm not going to respond to any more of this until YOU actually respond to what i've said about anime being on Adult Swim at all. you know, that thing you've ignored in the last five posts. because at this point i think you're just copy-pasting a prepared speech or something.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why does Aizen even need the Espada? He could easily accomplish his plan by himself.

BatDan

For the lolz

It's sad how that makes sense. 7-8 years ago, if you told someone that put Aizen on a "best villains" list that he would end up being a really terrible villain, they would laugh and flame you.
He basically ends up like that asshole kid that keeps making up powers when you're playing superheroes.

I read some Bleach fans (yes they still exist) hoping the Rock Lee anime (the series that replaced it) ends around 50 episodes so they can get more Bleach. I don't think that will happen, especially when the events of the manga (so far) would only cover like 13 episodes.

In "what could have been" news, the Tumblr just posted an early concept art for TOM. http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/42508018123/very-very-early-tom-concept-art-recharging

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals is absolutely amazing, Bleach fans can go jump a roof for saying such a thing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
this song always makes me face my palm. without fail. always.
I never understood why people like Number One (unironically). It's so bad and so cheesy. For that matter, I don't know why people say they like Bleach's soundtrack in general, since most of it is shit other than the Spanish guitar tracks.

Then again, I never cared for Sagisu's work in much of anything, including Evangelion.

Ah, hello thread.

I'm kind of confused with that past conversation before Bleach, time to get the glasses and read through the last 2 pages.

cliffs:

shard says adult swim didn't remotely care about anime in recent years until toonami's revival because they made some joke bumps mocking anime/anime fans and because they really only had about 3 new shows in as many years.

i say they have to care about anime to actually air it in the first place since it doesn't really benefit the network outside of some variety (an idea which he completely ignored in every single one of his replies and which he still refuses to address, but that's beside the point)

MetatronM said:
I never understood why people like Number One (unironically). It's so bad and so cheesy. For that matter, I don't know why people say they like Bleach's soundtrack in general, since most of it is shit other than the Spanish guitar tracks.

Then again, I never cared for Sagisu's work in much of anything, including Evangelion.

i thought On the Precipice of Defeat was ok.......until it got really overplayed. just by the end of the Soul Society arc. if i actually paid much attention to new Bleach i can't imagine how horrible it'd be for them to continue using that musical cue.

BatDan

i thought On the Precipice of Defeat was ok.......until it got really overplayed. just by the end of the Soul Society arc. if i actually paid much attention to new Bleach i can't imagine how horrible it'd be for them to continue using that musical cue.

I still hear this in the newer episodes, so yeah it's still being used.

Seda

ugh. did they at least tone down its use, or was i just the only one who thought it was overplayed?

Well considering I knew what music you posted before I even clicked your link (and no I didn't know what the name was) it's probably overplayed.

oh god, now we're getting into oversensitive anime fans freaking out over some joke bumps. i wondered when that would come up. people need to learn to take a joke. the reason those bumps existed for as long as they did is precisely BECAUSE bitchy viewers threw a tantrum every time one came on. they got a reaction, they continued doing it. it's that simple.
See this is why I stopped posting on [as] and fear what happens when Anime-GAF invades this thread. You get people with the 90s mentality who think it's a giant conspiracy to screw Japanese animation and that the Nielsen are intentionally tanking anime ratings.

What Shard forgets is that through the mid 90s-late 00's [adult swim] made fun of EVERYBODY. They made fun of Family Guy. They made fun of the fans. They even made fun of me. That's how [adult swim] rolls. Only the supersensitive anime fans took offense. So what did [as] do? Same thing they always did, they kept making fun of everybody!

EDIT: did he just call Thundercats anime?

What Shard forgets is that through the mid 90s-late 00's [adult swim] made fun of EVERYBODY. They made fun of Family Guy. They made fun of the fans. They even made fun of me. That's how [adult swim] rolls. Only the supersensitive anime fans took offense. So what did [as] do? Same thing they always did, they kept making fun of everybody!

and unsurprisingly, they kept going back to the well when they realized there was actually a group of people who were getting hilariously offended. i know i wouldn't have stopped just because some people thought their favorite programming should've been above that.

and unsurprisingly, they kept going back to the well when they realized there was actually a group of people who were getting hilariously offended. i know i wouldn't have stopped just because some people thought their favorite programming should've been above that.
I think it was more of [as] calling out those people making fun of themselves. But yeah, going back to the Space Ghost: C2C days (which laid the groundwork for Midnight Run/[adult swim]) the network always made fun of its shows... that's just how the times were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom