• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Oh, I see. They totally compressed a bunch of shit together and brought Al and Ed straight to Central?

I don't understand. I don't remember anything about a freezing alchemist

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, I see. They totally compressed a bunch of shit together and brought Al and Ed straight to Central?

There's a flash back of the previous arcs (from the start of the story) after either this one or the second episode.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

This episode is basically a filler.

It was done to so that there was something genuinely new right off the bat, knowing that they would otherwise be covering material everybody had already seen in both anime and manga form. It also provides an alternative introduction to a number of different concepts that tie into the main plot that otherwise wouldn't appear until much later.

Jintor

Okay, that's a great introduction for Armstrong. Burst through a wall

I liked that it establishes a bunch of relationships together though

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The main irony of what they've done with this episode is that
McDougal here is actually a good guy, trying to stop Father's plan to eradicate the people of Amestris, and Ed and friends are fighting on behalf of the enemy.

Jintor

Huh, some decent foreshadowing for a bunch of things - large-scale transmutation circles, the crimes of Ishval and the possibility that the Amestrian State is more than it seems.

McDougal here is actually a good guy, trying to stop Father's plan to eradicate the people of Amestris, and Ed and friends are fighting on behalf of the enemy.

It's closer to him being a terrorist though.

Oh man, what's this OST track?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Huh, some decent foreshadowing for a bunch of things - large-scale transmutation circles, the crimes of Ishval and the possibility that the Amestrian State is more than it seems.

Yea for filler it's really good, I sort of wish all filler could play out this way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This series was a lot better for me when I imagined it getting darker later on like the original and like the OP teased.

Jintor

Not really. He's making an assault on Central HQ. The protagonists do the exact same thing (except they kill more people in the process) later on.

Well, he matyrs himself for it basically, because he doesn't try to reveal the truth to anyone and just attempts to assassinate Bradley.

Raxus

Bradley is the toughest dude in this show, bar none. It takes like 4 or 5 guys working in tandem and a spec ops crew bombing his train to take him out.

Even then Bradley doesn't give a fuck. He'll hoof it back.

Ultimate badass way to go too. Only lost because of his one weakness aging. Even with both his arms gone he still fights. One of my favorite anime villains.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually going to watch brotherhood this time...but I need to be up in four hours anyways so I'm recording the second episode!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
People shit on the early episodes of Brotherhood, but honestly I think most of them are really tight and strong. They don't sit and let some of the more hard hitting moments sink in as long as the first series did, but that's just a consequence of needing to get to the new stuff ASAP. Also, I think people sometimes forget how many terrible and/or utterly pointless episodes there were early on in the first FMA anime. For every great Nina episode, there were two shitty Tringham Bros. episodes.

Some high quality feels coming up in Bebop.

Jacob

People shit on the early episodes of Brotherhood, but honestly I think most of them are really tight and strong. They don't sit and let some of the more hard hitting moments sink in as long as the first series did, but that's just a consequence of needing to get to the new stuff ASAP. Also, I think people sometimes forget how many terrible and/or utterly pointless episodes there were early on in the first FMA anime. For every great Nina episode, there were two shitty Tringham Bros. episodes.

I watched Brotherhood before the original FMA and looking back, the only thing I really wish that Brotherhood had spent more time on was Nina. She felt a little skimmed over in the remake and I didn't entirely understand why she had such a lasting impact on Ed and Al. Otherwise I think the first dozen episodes of Brotherhood are a really solid set-up for the rest of the show.

I completely agree about the fake Elric brothers. Could never stand those two.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So have any of the Toonami guys talked about the possibility of getting some Bandai shows back up in here?

You'd think with the dissolution of their American anime branch they'd be willing to make a deal and they have some absolute classics that were never aired anywhere.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So have any of the Toonami guys talked about the possibility of getting some Bandai shows back up in here?

You'd think with the dissolution of their American anime branch they'd be willing to make a deal and they have some absolute classics that were never aired anywhere.

Well Bebop, GITS, Eureka, and to some extent Big O are all Bandai shows. Apparently AS has gotten some deal in place to own the rights to GITS outright somehow, and Big O season 2 is a series that AS also has the rights to as producers of the show. Bebop, though, they need to keep renewing, so it'll be interesting to see how that gets handled. And they only just recently reacquired the rights to Eureka, so they're obviously dealing with SOMEBODY over at Bandai.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well Bebop, GITS, Eureka, and to some extent Big O are all Bandai shows. Apparently AS has gotten some deal in place to own the rights to GITS outright somehow, and Big O season 2 is a series that AS also has the rights to as producers of the show. Bebop, though, they need to keep renewing, so it'll be interesting to see how that gets handled. And they only just recently reacquired the rights to Eureka, so they're obviously dealing with SOMEBODY over at Bandai.

There's a lot of good Bandai stuff that was dubbed, has action, and should be cheap as chips.

Another show that would fit perfectly and hasn't aired in years would be Great Teacher Onizuka but I have no clue about what happened to the dub rights to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom