• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT2| Time to Push the Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A downside to uncut One Piece on Toonami? The 4Kids fans coming out of the woodwork and complaining. Yes, they exist.
Keep in mind, the 4Kids dub premiered eight years ago. The kids that grew up with it are now older. So now you'll see people legitimately defend the 4Kids dub out of blind nostalgia.

The voices are better in the 4Kids one, it's just the awful writing, story/graphic edits, and accents bring it down.

If it was Funimation's script + Director casting the same actors in the same roles from the previous dub it would be ideal.

BatDan

I didn't even know there was an uncut dub of One Piece. How is it?

It's really good. The funny moments are funny, the sad moments are sad, and the writing and voice direction are spot-on. Plus, quite a few characters sound better in Funi's dub than they do in the original Japanese.

Funimation has released the first 239 episodes on DVD so far. They've secured the rights up to Episode 336 along with Strong World.

The voices are better in the 4Kids one, it's just the awful writing, story/graphic edits, and accents bring it down.

If it was Funimation's script + Director casting the same actors in the same roles from the previous dub it would be ideal.

That is like 40 levels of wrong.
Luffy is constantly screaming.
Usopp sounds like a clown going through puberty.
Sanji.......... *sighs*
Robin has a Southern accent, at least the plug was pulled after she joined.
Vivi sounds bored out of her damn mind.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Jersey Sanji was hilariously bad. That said if they do show uncut One Piece on Toonami count me in. The only down side is that it would take forever to get to the good parts. It's the kind of thing that needs to be shown multiple times a week until it reaches the good bits.

Jersey Sanji was hilariously bad.

That's why I listed accents as a negative. A good director obviously wouldn't have added them.

I can never get over how obvious it is that each Funimation OP voice is exactly the same as a specific recognizable DBZ character in a way that bugs me, and Luffy sounds way worse.

But it's of little concern to me, my bigger problem with OP is the series itself.

Luffy is constantly screaming.
in both versions/all languages

Usopp sounds like a clown going through puberty.

and he looks like one too

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I dunno, the Funi voices are better for me except for Luffy. Whenever I read the manga I always imagine him with the 4kids voice. As insane a voice as it was it just fits for me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
and of course the stereotypically drawn black guy. Oh Japan.

As a black man myself, I'm really not too offended by such a portrayal from that long ago. It's just as sad as the bucktooth generic chinamen that'd pop up in Looney toons and such at the time.

But as far as shows that haven't been aired anywhere, are old and probably cheap if you can get the rights for? Scrapped Princess is tops on my list. Great show. completely out of print. Not on any of the stream services as far as I remember. Plenty of action.

Loved Scrapped Princess, drew this fanart for it years ago:

ScrappedPrincessCompleteCA.jpg

Still listen to the OP and ED themes to this day. It'd be interesting to see how the shift in theme would go with the Toonami audiences.

I'd love to see some Fantasy anime on Toonami. From as straightforward as Lodoss Wars, to as Senseless as Rune Soldier Louie & Those Who Hunt Elves, with Slayers stuck somewhere in the middle there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
in both versions/all languages
This isn't even remotely close to true.

That said, I don't like any version of dub Luffy. Just grating. The rest of the Funi dub cast is great, though.

This is also true, by the way, of Naruto, where Naruto's dub voice is unbelievably horrendous but the rest of the dub is pretty good.

Raxus

Sort of the reverse of America...

I really wish One piece took off because even with it's weaknesses down the road it is still loads better than Naruto. I think someone posted a picture of anime then and now for the big 3 and Bleach became DBZ with swords, Naruto became the Sasuke show and One Piece was the only one that stayed consistent.
I actually liked Naruto's dub voice =x

I think a lot of the cast got better as the show went on.
Agreed. They start to gel into their roles past the first arc. Even Naruto stops saying believe it every 5 fucking seconds.

BatDan

I actually like Luffy's Funimation voice. Though it would have been better if he was voiced by a man (stupid Toei and their stupid rules).
He definitely gets better as the show progresses.

the One Piece pictures on the Tumblr don't have a thing to do with upcoming shows

and i've never thought there was a huge difference between Luffy's Funimation and 4Kids voices

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
the One Piece pictures on the Tumblr don't have a thing to do with upcoming shows

and i've never thought there was a huge difference between Luffy's Funimation and 4Kids voices

Didn't they say the same about the naruto pics? Odds are they won't get One Piece, it too long and it would take years to get to the greatest moments on a once or even twice a week schedule.

they said it was just a coincidence; they're posting pictures that have some relation to the old Toonami. you can find a few Gundam Wing pictures on the Tumblr, as well as DBZ and Big O

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I once tried to watch an episode of the funi dub back to back with the same episode from the 4 kids version. I made it two episodes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I actually don't think Believe It is a bad catch phrase.

But time may have put some wool on my eyes with regards to how much he said it...

Cranzor

LOL Mushishi is the antithesis of an action show. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, but it is one of the slowest-moving and most calmly-paced shows I have ever seen. It would be really out of place on Toonami.

So is that what is meant by an action show? The pace? Perhaps I just have too broad of an interpretation for what an action show is. But either way, you're right, it's a great show.

Naruto and Luffy's voices are both fine in that it is an intentional casting/direction choice based on their personality/other character's reactions and opinions of them. They are immature annoying characters who get yelled at and hit by their own friends all the time for being annoying and stupid. When they (at least Naruto) actually be serious, they sound fine.

The problem comes when people claim that annoying voices for young male shonen characters is exclusive to English.

BatDan

What I don't get is when people complain about the voices in Funi's dub being from other shows.
Yeah, that's going to happen. Studios tend to recycle actors. Not just in anime but all cartoons. How many times have you heard John Dimaggio or Jennifer Hale in shows/games?
Also, the Japanese version is worse in that aspect. Luffy? He's Krillin. Usopp? He's Ranma and Inuyasha. Chopper? Zatch Bell and Pikachu. Sanji? Balthier in FFXII. The list goes on.

Oddly enough, One Piece hasn't had a single role for Norio Wakamoto.

Fuck Hamtaro_Only thing was back in the day TOONAMI could sell ice to Eskimos because they established themselves as being so awesome. They almost made the viewer question their coolness for not watching Hamtaro.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck Hamtaro_Only thing was back in the day TOONAMI could sell ice to Eskimos because they established themselves as being so awesome. They almost made the viewer question their coolness for not watching Hamtaro.

For reals. When Hamtaro came out on Toonami all my friends were like wtf. After a while it was like "well why would they put it on Toonami if it wasn't awesome as shit?" So, I'm not sure why but we watched it. Until one of my friend's little sister's started watching with us, which led us back to questioning it and eventually just using the time to play video games. It all took place over the course of like 3 or 4 days, those were some weird times.

There was one time in high school I listened to the stupid ending (like I do with every animation I watch) and tried to memorize the theme and do the dance.

I now look back and ask myself... "What the fuck was I on back then?"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was one time in high school I listened to the stupid ending (like I do with every animation I watch) and tried to memorize the theme and do the dance.

I now look back and ask myself... "What the fuck was I on back then?"

Toonami is a HELL of a drug. I mean it's got us up watching TV until all hours of the night on a goddamn SATURDAY instead of going out and doing shit. Shit's like cocaine.

Tamanon

Banned
Naruto's voice was always weird for me. It was a little annoying in regular stuff, but actually was really good whenever it was time to get serious or make a speech about Sasuke and friendship.

Seda

I didn't watch over Thanksgiving. I was having too much of a good time with my fam.

I am not a true Toonami Faithful I guess :/

LycanXIII

Wow these numbers aren't bad, looks like while there is a substantial drop off from Bleach everything else is fairly consistent. Only drops below 400k once. TCats getting more love than Titan makes me sad though.

I think we could see TCats and Titan have a lot higher numbers if they were the ones to immediately follow Bleach. It's obvious they're trying to see if there's enough support to renew them, so why not give them a time slot where that's possible? Right now GXP and S7 are causing quite a drop in ratings, but TCats and Titan bounce back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Poor Eureka.

I know :(

I think we could see TCats and Titan have a lot higher numbers if they were the ones to immediately follow Bleach. It's obvious they're trying to see if there's enough support to renew them, so why not give them a time slot where that's possible? Right now GXP and S7 are causing quite a drop in ratings, but TCats and Titan bounce back.

I think they'll move Titan up at some point, but at the moment it looks like they are just trying to keep Samurai 7 above water, if you switched 7 and Titan then no one would watch 7 and it's ratings would plummet. After 7 is over watch them move Titan into it's spot, especially after Tashy airs, Titan will see a big bump in viewership.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is what we call a schedule change alert. Maybe. Some episode numbers switching around.

12:00 - Bleach - 274 - Hitsugaya, the Desperate Hyōten Hyakkasō!
12:30 - Naruto - 1 - Enter: Naruto Uzumaki!
1:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 4 - True Love, Truly Painful
1:30 - Thundercats - 9 - Berbils
2:00 - Samurai 7 - 16 - The Storm
2:30 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 9 - Tashy 497
3:00 - Eureka seveN - 16 - Opposite View
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 3 - City of Heresy
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 11 - Toys in the Attic
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 12 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)
5:00 - Inuyasha - 7 - Showdown! Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru
5:30 - Inuyasha - 8 - The Toad Who Would Be Prince

For whatever reason, episode 9 of Titan is scheduled for December 8 while episode 11 is on December 1. Also note Bebop warping back to the episodes that it skipped over earlier.

EDIT: Hmm, but the Tumblr says otherwise about Titan. Guess we'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom