• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Since I'm feeling nostalgic, I'm gonna borrow something off of Twitter and bring it in here:

"What was your first Toonami memory?"

Mine was the very first episode of Toonami, sitting in my living room, doing homework with the TV on (which became a longtime tradition).

The first episode of DBZ I saw which was a filler episode right before Namek Saga. I was hooked.

Raxus

First episodes of DBZ of course. Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star were also highlights. I loved they failed to actually censor some of Outlaw Star's 'saltier' content.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You mean Coby?
He joins the Marines. He ends up partnered with Helmeppo (the yellow haired asshole son of Captain Morgan) and they start very small. One day, Vice Admiral Garp arrives to oversee Morgan's transfer. He escapes but not before Coby and Helmeppo try to stop him (they fail). Impressed by their bravery, Garp takes them under his wing.

After Enies Lobby, Garp arrives to Water Seven and we learn he's Luffy's grandfather. He brought along Coby and Helmeppo, both much stronger and taller (though still no match for Luffy and Zoro). We later see the two of them during Marineford, where Coby manages to delay the war so Shanks can come in and stop it for good. We also learn Coby has Haki.

Following the time-skip, he's worked his way up to Captain.

So yeah, he's still around.

I don't understand shit like this. Why is it that when somebody who obviously hasn't seen too much of the series asks a simple question about a character/plot point some people feel it necessary to list off EVERY plot point in the series that is even tangentially related to said character?

A simple "he's still around, you'll see" would have sufficed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Since I'm feeling nostalgic, I'm gonna borrow something off of Twitter and bring it in here:

Mine was the very first episode of Toonami, sitting in my living room, doing homework with the TV on (which became a longtime tradition).

It was like 4th grade or something, basically like 5 or so of us got together at someone's house got a pizza and some chips and just hung out the whole day watching it. Shit eventually we just started calling it Friday.

Oh Grandad, Obama didn't do that. Don't listen to that dumbshit.

Azure J

My first Toonami memory was probably watching the first broadcast wondering what the hell these shows were but feeling hooked immediately. Sailor Moon/DBZ was a potent combo.

Also, lol Boondocks. This is seriously unofficial Toonami hour.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't understand shit like this. Why is it that when somebody who obviously hasn't seen too much of the series asks a simple question about a character/plot point some people feel it necessary to list off EVERY plot point in the series that is even tangentially related to said character?

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

Sorry... I just like getting detailed.

My first Toonami memory, I think it was around 2002. I remember G Gundam, DBZ, Transformers Armada and 2002 He-Man.

Flipping past CN and stopping because hey, the dude from Space Ghost is showing some cool cartoons.

My first Toonami memory was the time I first got cable and turned on the tv after school and saw Zoids. Liger Zero was the shit when I was a kid. Good times.

GRAMPS!
tumblr_mgtkruwmV01s0jhnto1_400.gif

I don't really remember my first Toonami moment. Probably something something DBZ.

Ultratech

Honestly? Watching one of the early episodes of Dragonball in the 1st Tourney arc after I came home from school one day.

No joke, we went for a long ass time without CN before the cable company we had finally added it.

Only time I watched CN before that was when we went to like a far-off relative's house.

Jintor

God, I can't identify a first memory.

A strong memory though is Zoids: Chaotic Century. I remember watching New Century tournament shit and then suddenly utilising the same thing but for a serious war storyline... faaaark

I was told by my Granddad to not watch Cartoon Network because they were playing cartoons from Japan that would give me a seizure.

So later that day I watched Toonami for the first time.

YOU SCARRED MY BABY FOR LIFE, ROBERT

Mine was the first episode of Robotech. I can't remember any farther back than that, but that's when I got hooked.

Hahaha. And he used Obama to cover his shame.

A simple "he's still around, you'll see" would have sufficed.

It's okay, Metatron. Really.

God, I can't identify a first memory.

A strong memory though is Zoids: Chaotic Century. I remember watching New Century tournament shit and then suddenly utilising the same thing but for a serious war storyline... faaaark
I miss Zoids.
And OH MY! Toonami I love you.

my first Toonami memory.....well, i have two. one is being forbidden from watching DBZ because my parents didn't like the screaming (I totally watched it anyway)

and also for some reason the episode of the second Tenchi Muyo OVA series where Ryoko is trapped in a tank. not sure why.

Sonicbug

I don't have a first memory, I do have a random memory of my freshman college roommate and her friend walking in and catching me watching Gundam Wing.

Her: "Is that guy's name 'sex'?"
Me: "... Yes, close enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom