• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

I remember when they originally announced the Rebuilds, they made it seem like they would be coming out just a few months after one another. Here we are years later, and they're still not done.
Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr. Newell Anno.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Byakuya and Kenpachi barely even give a shit about Yammy, Naruto activates X-Factor, Edward makes a pilgrimmage to Xerxes, Faye tells a story about her past, and Kagome ends up back in her own time...again.

More importantly, though, Toonami turns sweet sixteen tonight, so we're gonna celebrate with the angstiest, most neurotic teenagers in all of animedom as Shinji and the gang make their return to Adult Swim after a 7 year absence!

12:00 - Bleach - 289 - Byakuya vs. Kenpachi?! The Melee Commences
12:30 - Naruto - 16 - The Broken Seal
1:00 - Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 18 - The Arrogant Palm of a Small Human
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 15 - My Funny Valentine
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 16 - Black Dog Serenade
5:00 - Inuyasha - 37 - The Man Who Fell In Love With Kagome
5:30 - Inuyasha - 38 - Two Hearts, One Mind

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
haven't watched any of the remake of Eva, and it's probably been a decade since I've seen the original. Should be interesting.

Jintor

Cannot wait

home and recovering from a hangover, perfect time to watch some giant robots

but first, an hour of terrible shonen. I'mma watch VGWC instead for a bit

Jintor

1.11 is basically the first 6-8 episodes of Eva compressed into a high stakes movie

2.22 continues like that and then suddenly takes a bunch of shocking swerves and ends up very, very different

Wait so what exactly is Evangelion 1.11? Hows it compare to the original

So its taking the original series and putting it into movie form. They are also changing the story line in the more recent movies. There's 4 parts to the movie, 3 have been released, the 3rd hasn't been translated yet I believe. This first movie airing tonight follows the beginning of the series pretty closely. Story doesn't change until the second movie.

Raxus

Grabbing some popcorn tonight with my smartphone in my other hand.

Also, ONE PIECE MetatronM! Let's celebrate. MEAT FOR EVERYONE!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
so, speculation on the surprises?

also, a One Piece promo needs to end with Narrator Guy saying "ya-yo, ya-yo". that is all.

No, it needs to be something like "Definitely not 4 Kids".

So I've just discovered the act of mashing up Quad City DJs "Space Jam" with everything under the sun, so in honor for Toonami's lead-off hitter:

Slamukaze - Quad City DJs vs Bleach

Not bad, but then there's this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uints81YYMc
And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A765O7Or_Nw
And for the new Toonami show in the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz2TfZLAnnU

So its taking the original series and putting it into movie form. They are also changing the story line in the more recent movies. There's 4 parts to the movie, 3 have been released, the 3rd hasn't been translated yet I believe. This first movie airing tonight follows the beginning of the series pretty closely. Story doesn't change until the second movie.
Not that I condone it but there are subtitles out there.

tumblr_mjecisWPCm1rwjzpqo1_400.gif

Is it Toonami time yet?

No?

:(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Speaking of One Piece, what ever happened to that pink haired kid from the first episode that wanted to join the Marines or something like that?

You mean Coby?
He joins the Marines. He ends up partnered with Helmeppo (the yellow haired asshole son of Captain Morgan) and they start very small. One day, Vice Admiral Garp arrives to oversee Morgan's transfer. He escapes but not before Coby and Helmeppo try to stop him (they fail). Impressed by their bravery, Garp takes them under his wing.

After Enies Lobby, Garp arrives to Water Seven and we learn he's Luffy's grandfather. He brought along Coby and Helmeppo, both much stronger and taller (though still no match for Luffy and Zoro). We later see the two of them during Marineford, where Coby manages to delay the war so Shanks can come in and stop it for good. We also learn Coby has Haki.

Following the time-skip, he's worked his way up to Captain.

So yeah, he's still around.

You mean Coby?
He joins the Marines. He ends up partnered with Helmeppo (the yellow haired asshole son of Captain Morgan) and they start very small. One day, Vice Admiral Garp arrives to oversee Morgan's transfer. He escapes but not before Coby and Helmeppo try to stop him (they fail). Impressed by their bravery, Garp takes them under his wing.

After Enies Lobby, Garp arrives to Water Seven and we learn he's Luffy's grandfather. He brought along Coby and Helmeppo, both much stronger and taller (though still no match for Luffy and Zoro). We later see the two of them during Marineford, where Coby manages to delay the war so Shanks can come in and stop it for good. We also learn Coby has Haki.

Following the time-skip, he's worked his way up to Captain.

So yeah, he's still around.

How spoiler do you want this answer? Without going too nuts, he shows up a few times much later on.

I understood like half of what BatDan said, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Seda

Caught up on the Inuyasha episodes I missed last week. Still quite enjoying the show. At this point I don't really care if the overarching plot isnt going anywhere. At least they don't stand around and talk endlessly.

I could see things getting old though or perhaps repeating similar situations that can wear on the viewer.

Caught up on the Inuyasha episodes I missed last week. Still quite enjoying the show. At this point I don't really care if the overarching plot isnt going anywhere. At least they don't stand around and talk endlessly.

I could see things getting old though or perhaps repeating similar situations that can wear on the viewer.
7982%20-%20animated_gif%20tagme%20thumbs_up.gif

Good man. That show arguably anchored [adult swim] Saturday Night (then weekdays) for years, it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Not yet, anyway. It'll never have the amount of jawing that Bleach does, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i think InuYasha still has a few characters to introduce yet, but i think it's definitely been going downhill already.

Probably in the filler already. The canon arcs are always pretty good, but the filler can suck horribly.

Since I'm feeling nostalgic, I'm gonna borrow something off of Twitter and bring it in here:

"What was your first Toonami memory?"

Mine was the very first episode of Toonami, sitting in my living room, doing homework with the TV on (which became a longtime tradition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom