• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT3| Sleep is for the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If it was at 3 o clock and lasted 30 minutes there would be no problem.

KuGsj.gif

LycanXIII

With Titan starting to repeat tonight, do you expect the numbers to be the same, or to see a drop? Personally, I really liked the show, but I have no need in rewatching it this soon.

It'd probably be the only way to get the "All action, all the Time!" Tenchi experience that Classic Toonami fans think of the series, and I'd love to see how some group like CyberConnect 2 would illustrate the power of Lighthawk Wings, Ryoko's Gem abilities, and the fighting styles of their universe...

this always struck me as the weakest aspect of the series. it's all so poorly handled and barely explained.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
this always struck me as the weakest aspect of the series. it's all so poorly handled and barely explained.

The abilities and powers in general? Well, as much as "action" fans might protest, it's not the real star of the show. I've read some of the Manga too, though, but as much as I'd like explanations, I'm not always sure where'd I'd fit more?

Not to mention it's never 100 % consistent between series. Similiar powers originate from different locations, especially if you look at the Pretty Sammy series and other semi-related stuff...

Games would give a perfect reason to flesh out and expand a single universe, and that'd be fun.

Have you guys seen the Soul Eater giveaway yet?

Nope, but thanks for telling everyone :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Answers on the tumblr through the week make me think we're getting a "Building you a better cartoon show" lineup promo this week.

Seda

A lot of people on the tumblr asking what Tenchi's replacement is. Thundercats ends first right? Is it going to repeat? :/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thundercats may indeed repeat but there is no way GXP is doing anything but taking a rocket sled off of the block and I think people know this.

Seda

Thundercats may indeed repeat but there is no way GXP is doing anything but taking a rocket sled off of the block and I think people know this.

Right, because Thundercats doesn't cost them anything (or very little?) but gaining the rights to GXP I think only allow them to air it once.

I might be spouting bullshit because I don't know the ins and outs of this stuff.

It's a little unclear about Thundercats since that's owned by Warner Bros. It depends how long CN has the rights to the show. Titan can pretty much be on the block indefinitely.

789shadow

Banned
It would be a mistake to repeat Thundercats. The block is already a bit too re-run heavy as is, and Thundercats is too long to repeat.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
From what I've read in the manga, Black Star can be annoying but I can see him getting development. I imagine giving his role to a woman isn't going to help.

Slightly off-topic since it's not Adult Swim/Toonami, but that Incredible Crew show looks abysmal. Why Jeremy Shada agreed to do this I don't know.

Azure J

Curious as to how GAF will receive Black Star tonight. I only tolerated him, personally.

It's really really sad how early in the series the anime diverged from the manga. Black Star wises up in both (YMMV with the anime version), but in the manga he grows in real ways and its pretty well done especially with so many analogues to Naruto and that type of shonen character.

I'm also forever salty that the best fucking arc of Soul Eater happens literally right as the anime and manga material diverges at Episode 37ish. Some of the fights and moments in that arc scream for animation.

789shadow

Banned
If anyone wants to record the 3rd ToonamiGAF podcast tomorrow, PM me with your Skype name, and times you can record in EST time (you need 2 hours)

ckohler

I like Black★Star. He grows on you.

You'll immediately be thinking, "what an obnoxious, egotistical, little punk" and that's exactly what they want you to think. What he's not, however, is a jerk. He simply believes, with unwavering and overblown conviction, is that he is the greatest shit to ever walk on two legs. I found myself actually rooting for him, especially later in the series once you understand his origins more.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I like Black★Star. He grows on you.

You'll immediately be thinking, "what an obnoxious, egotistical, little punk" and that's exactly what they want you to think. What he's not, however, is a jerk. He simply believes, with unwavering and overblown conviction, is that he is the greatest shit to ever walk on two legs. I found myself actually rooting for him, especially later in the series once you understand his origins more.

Believing that you are the greatest shit to walk on two legs only works as a character trait if it's actually true and you are. For example:

The guy could worf the entire series at once if he could be bothered to.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Bleach tries to reestablish a main character, Haku unleashes his ultimate jutsu, Black☆Star takes the spotlight on Soul Eater, the Thundercats have to escape from Mumm-Ra's advancing hordes while the origins of the Swords of Omens and Plun-Darr are revealed, Sym-Bionic Titan reboots itself, Ray Beams seeks revenge on Holland and Eureka, Bad Luck Brian returns to Earth and meets a real protagonist, the Elrics pick up a Xingese stray in Rush Valley, the Bebop takes on its final member in the form of Radical Edward, and Kagome makes another half-demon friend.

12:00 - Bleach - 286 - Ichigo's Return! Protect Karakura Town
12:30 - Naruto - 13 - Haku's Secret Jutsu: Crystal Ice Mirrors
1:00 - Soul Eater - 2 - I Am the Star! The Big Man Is Showing Up Here?
1:30 - Thundercats - 21 - Birth of the Blades
2:00 - Sym-Bionic Titan - 1 - Escape to Sherman High
2:30 - Eureka seveN - 28 - Memento Mori
3:00 - Tenchi Muyo! GXP - 16 - Homecoming
3:30 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 15 - Envoy from the East
4:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 9 - Jamming with Edward
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 10 - Ganymede Elegy
5:00 - Inuyasha - 31 - Jinenji, Kind Yet Sad
5:30 - Inuyasha - 32 - Kikyo and Inuyasha, Into the Miasma

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Blackstar has the best progression ever.

Dude starts out unlikable, for everyone, then everyone comes to understand that he is the boss of all bosses and gets to do what he wants because he's all about that life.

BTW who's on the podcast tomorrow?

EDIT: fuck BlackStar. I didn't exactly say that on last week's podcast, but ... yeah. Fuck him. At least for now.

Azure J

Dude starts out unlikable, for everyone, then everyone comes to understand that he is the boss of all bosses and gets to do what he wants because he's all about that life.

It's funny how it all grows on you too. I hate that kind of character and B-Star was a fucking bawse among bawses.

Meanwhile, I forget how amazing the 3rd season of the Boondocks was.

FOOL! I'm on season 2 and still don't particularly like the dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom